Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay speaks about the Oakland game...Demands better

corgi

I don't know.  Seems like maybe people are thinking about what 'they' would or would not do in Irsay's position

I guess that's fine

But it's a new age and everybody has a platform on the internet

I'm not seeing any harm in terms of team harmony

If there were I'm sure he would not be doing it

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of the reactions to Irsay's tweets are based in what the individual thinks about Twitter, Facebook, and other social media: 1) don't like social media, it's terrible he is tweeting and he is a meddling owner; 2) indifferent to social media, who cares what Irsay tweets; and 3) like social media, indifferent to/supportive of Irsay's tweeting. That's my two cents.

He has every right to speak up and out and direct as much venom or motivation to the coaches as he desires.  You guys that are telling him to shut up, try telling Elon Musk to shut-up as he is critiquiing his scientists about re-usable rockets.  Jim Irsay knows the game of football, he played it at a pretty high level after all.  He has every right and I do agree with most of what he said, but at the same time am not doing back-flips about owner's sounding off like this.  I just think it's in his right.

Does McGlynn have incriminating photos against someone in the Colts Organanization? 

I don't understand how he is starting over Thornton. 

Yeah, supposedly he has video & photo evidence proving the statement "Reggie Wayne is not human". Something about a bionic arm or something :dunno:

What has changed about Irsay in the past two years than the previous 14...

I guess Bill had complete power over the Colts even over Jim.

Note: I don't want to hear about how everyone hates Bill. It wasn't point.

Jim Irsay knows the game of football, he played it at a pretty high level after all.

I wouldn't say Jim knows football. He is a fantastic owner, but when he tries to be the guy the Colts were terrible. He was a terrible GM, and what Jim is good at is hiring the guys who know what they are doing. Then he let's them do their thing. He is starting to go where he isn't needed. If the Colts keep winning, but Jim keeps complain Grigs and Pags are going to get tired of it.

Jim the Colts won the * game. Just shut up.

The guy gives and gives. If you have seen him, he is in a great deal of discomfort, all the time. Probably his hope and love is seeing this team do good. He didn't give any ultimatums like, "Do better or your fired" type stuff.....he just voiced what many of you have been griping about on here continuously.

He is right there, on the front line with his emotions, unlike owners who see this as an investment, or ones who see it as a marketing opportunity. He sees it with his heart and his love, and he dares to share his emotions by tweeting. I wont tell anyone how they should feel about it, but I celebrate it.

I guess I feel as long as Jim Irsay signs all the pay checks he can say what ever he wants on Twitter. If that is what it takes to win then so be it. I'm glad that he is taking an interest in the team and not letting the GM take over the team like was done the last time. You can't have it both ways and everyone was complaining about the Polian's running the team so now the owner is taking charge and when he is writing the checks he can do what ever he pleases in my opinion.  That's my :2c:

I don't understand this forum. The moment something goes wrong, you guys make panic threads talking about "fire him, bench him, the cheerleaders jump to high, los is too cold, etc etc"

Yet when our owner voices his opinion, it's a problem? :scratch:

So the guy who could easily disband our franchise and put everyone out of a job can't have a opinion on the team he controls?

You do realize he's our best lineman right? Didn't really show it Sunday due to coming right in off the injury I didn't think he should've been there. But after a week of rest now, he should be fine

Castonzo when healthy is one of the worst LT pass blockers in the League. He showed it last season.

He is now our 3rd best OLineman. And that is NOTHING to be proud of.

Irsay is 100% responsible for Satelle & McGlynn so he should Own up to it if he wants to bad mouth the line.

Ballard had 6 out of 6 solid blocks, Bradshaw was fine and our TE`s were ok.

Yes there was some Coaching and Andrew problems handling the Blitz.

Lets see Irsay if you Hamstring the Franchise with Castonzo next season and years to come. 

That will also be 100% all on you.

I'm sure if any of the players voiced displeasure about the coaching he'd not care for such an opinion. I know he's the head guy, but I'd prefer him to not "tweet" about the coaches.

That would be different. Irsay is the coaches, GM, and players boss. Having a player talk about his coach is not good, breaks the chain of command and its not their place to do so.

Castonzo when healthy is one of the worst LT pass blockers in the League. He showed it last season.

Irsay is 100% responsible for Satelle & McGlynn so he should Own up to it if he wants to bad mouth the line.

Ballard had 6 out of 6 solid blocks, Bradshaw was fine and our TE`s were ok.

Lets see Irsay if you Hamstring the Franchise with Castonzo next season and years to come. 

By midseason, Veldheer had supplanted Henderson to become the Raiders' full-time starting left tackle.[4] On opening day of the 2011 NFL season, he started at left tackle next to rookie Stefen Wisniewski and the offensive line cleared the way for 190 rushing yards and a victory over the Denver Broncos. In Week 11 of the 2011 NFL season, playing against the Minnesota Vikings he prevented Jared Allen, who had a league-leading total of 13.5 sacks coming into the game, from having a sack,

jared Veldheer  with  ,

Michael Oher

best add too oline perfect fit.

Does McGlynn have incriminating photos against someone in the Colts Organanization? 

I don't understand how he is starting over Thornton. 

We could start a "Bench McGlynn" petition. I have a friend that works at the W. 56th St. complex and I could have him slip it to Irsay's assistant/secretary :thmup:

By midseason, Veldheer had supplanted Henderson to become the Raiders' full-time starting left tackle.[4] On opening day of the 2011 NFL season, he started at left tackle next to rookie Stefen Wisniewski and the offensive line cleared the way for 190 rushing yards and a victory over the Denver Broncos. In Week 11 of the 2011 NFL season, playing against the Minnesota Vikings he prevented Jared Allen, who had a league-leading total of 13.5 sacks coming into the game, from having a sack,

jared allen and other best add too oline perfect fit.

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

Ballard had 6 out of 6 solid blocks, Bradshaw was fine and our TE`s were ok.

Lets see Irsay if you Hamstring the Franchise with Castonzo next season and years to come.

Irsay is not the GM or a coach, how is it on him? It's on the GM/coaches. If Irsay doesn't like what the Oline is doing, he voices his opinion and leaves it up to the GM/ coach to fix.

Now if you want Jim to fix the problem personally , well then you want him to be Jerry Jones, that's what Jerry Jones does.

I get the feeling you don't want Jim to act like Jerry but at the same time your calling for him to do Jerry like things.

Shut up Jim, leave the coaching to coaches, they recognize it more than they would acknowledge in public.

Can't blame Irsay for wanting to protect his potential future HOF QB. The "protection" we've given our QB's for the past six seasons has been terrible. Arguably worst in the league. Enough is enough and I, for one, am happy to see the owner lighting a fire under the team's collective rear ends over it.

Irsay almost never comments about team issues, just the positives. The fact he brought up the protection in a negative light should be a wake up call to those who can't seem to realize just how much of a problem it is. It needs to be fixed as of six seasons ago.

Our pass protection isn't the only thing that's bad. We can't run block, either which makes it even MORE difficult on the QB. Jim neglected to specify that, but that's all on the O-line as well.

Everyone and their mom sounded off about that game in a public forum, I.E. these boards, on Sunday.

But the owner?

"Oh god no. Shut your mouth. Don't have opinions about something you're more invested in than any fan could possibly be. Keep it to yourself. Now excuse me I need to start a thread about firing Pep and Chuck."

People must realize that not only is Irsay the owner of this team, but hes one of the teams biggest fans. He's there after every game in the locker room with those guys. He's made countless hard decisions for the betterment of this organization. He can voice any opinion he wishes, and to me the things he says don't seem to have negative effects. 

Also, his tweets are currently blowing up on ESPN & NFL twitters as well as NFL.com :) 

*in a Jar Jar Binks voice*..."Mommy Daddy always fighting"

It ok to say what you want, but sometimes, it seems like I'm watching re-runs of Hardcore Pawn..where the Dad, son, and daughter are always arguing...

To me, as long as Irsay doesn't start being like Jerry Jones..I'm ok with it..Sometimes I wish he'd keep the tweets down, and state it more towards the coaches and team, but he got us all those great years of football, and many more to come in the future..so hey, if he wants to tweet, that's his prerogative..He loves the team, and the community, and tries his best to do right by all of them, and us Colts fans..

I honestly don't see what the big deal is..As long as we win..I don't care if Irsay would go on Dancing With the Stars, or anything else..

Shut up Jim, leave the coaching to coaches, they recognize it more than they would acknowledge in public.

Please don't become a Jerry Jones and preserve the equity of respect you have earned over the years!!!

Casey, Carlie, Kalen, someone take the phone away from this tweetie bird, please!!! :)

C'mon Chad... :P

This is nothing more than pandering to the fanbase.  Anything that needed to be said to the coaches probably already has been and anything that didn't probably wasn't.  This isn't calling out the coaches (they know the opinion already), it's just PR.  Players, coaches, and the front office recognize that.  

IMO, I`d rather have an owner that cares and wants to win than one that doesn't. Imagine rooting for a team that has that "losing culture" again and it gets to be expected year after year. Jim Irsay WAS around that type team for a few years in Baltimore and a good part of Indy`s early existence. I applaud him for putting his neck on the line to light a fire and play the way the Colts are capable of. Everything he tweeted was true and in line with where this years team is.

Irsay is not the GM or a coach, how is it on him? It's on the GM/coaches. If Irsay doesn't like what the Oline is doing, he voices his opinion and leaves it up to the GM/ coach to fix.

Now if you want Jim to fix the problem personally , well then you want him to be Jerry Jones, that's what Jerry Jones does.

I get the feeling you don't want Jim to act like Jerry but at the same time your calling for him to do Jerry like things.

He made the decision not to fund the transition just before he drafted Andrew. Now the Franchise and the best QB in 25 years lives with it and he complains, and he blasts his RB`s who did a Fantastic job picking up blitzes.

And of course he will have his nose in the LT position in the next off season with Final say. JMO

I feel many of you are correct on voicing of opinions but some things should stay in house!  My point, as a supervisor/boss/ owner, you don't call out your workers in public.  Keep it in house.  We are fans and fans are the supporters and sometimes distractors of the team but the owner/coaches/players/team officers should keep some of the opinions in house.  Maybe a better way Mr. Irsay could have stated it would be, "We need to do a better job from the owner all the way down to the hot dog vendor".  lol! Now pointing fingers at the hot dog vendor ok not hot dog vendor but every employee.

You don't want Luck calling out the RG on a missed block or the rb not picking up a blitz.  Bethea would cause a furor if he said the coaches called the wrong scheme.  Bethea and Luck would be ok in not mentioning names such as we were in the wrong scheme (don't mention coaches).  I'm not saying to be politically correct, I'm saying don't call out someone in public do it in house on the practice field or meeting room.

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 3h

Raider/Colts/ 1) you're a good team,when u win but there's grumbling that u didn't win by enough Pts. 2)Gonna win 12+ games,giving up 17 Pts

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 3h

Raider/Colts-- we gotta protect #12 better..and that includes more than just OL...it's backs,TE's,coaches on blitz pick ups..I DEMAND better

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 3h

Dolphin/Colts-Make no mistake about it/The Fish CAN and WILL bring the HEAT...We gotta MAN-UP and confront HEAT with a NASA-like Heat-Shield

What he said is true. If we can hold teams to 17 points a game we should win 12 plus games and there were a lot of people complaining about how little we won by. He even brought up blitz pick ups which I'm amazed that was even an issue.

IMO, I`d rather have an owner that cares and wants to win than one that doesn't. Imagine rooting for a team that has that "losing culture" again and it gets to be expected year after year. Jim Irsay WAS around that type team for a few years in Baltimore and a good part of Indy`s early existence. I applaud him for putting his neck on the line to light a fire and play the way the Colts are capable of. Everything he tweeted was true and in line with where this years team is.

Again the RB`s blocked Great, so of course it wasn`t true.

And few seem to have the wisedom to know how bad Castonzo, Satelle, & McGlynn are and get what that means to the entirety of an Offense.

Maybe the next two games will beat it into some thick heads. Naaa!

I feel many of you are correct on voicing of opinions but some things should stay in house!  My point, as a supervisor/boss/ owner, you don't call out your workers in public.  Keep it in house.  We are fans and fans are the supporters and sometimes distractors of the team but the owner/coaches/players/team officers should keep some of the opinions in house.  Maybe a better way Mr. Irsay could have stated it would be, "We need to do a better job from the owner all the way down to the hot dog vendor".  lol! Now pointing fingers at the hot dog vendor ok not hot dog vendor but every employee.

You don't want Luck calling out the RG on a missed block or the rb not picking up a blitz.  Bethea would cause a furor if he said the coaches called the wrong scheme.  Bethea and Luck would be ok in not mentioning names such as we were in the wrong scheme (don't mention coaches).  I'm not saying to be politically correct, I'm saying don't call out someone in public do it in house on the practice field or meeting room.

He didn't mention a coach specifically. Now if he said pep needs to call better offensive plays that would be calling them out.

It is one thing having your coaches say this stuff, but when your owner is out front beating the drum it just comes off as meddling like Jerry Jones. It may not be fair for it to be perceived that way, bu t lot of people are going to take it that way.

Him tweeting about the fans reaction is silly as well.  Of course fans are not going to be satisfied with a win where we barely escape with a win at home against one of the worst teams in the league. 

Stick to giving stuff away and tweeting rock lyrics.

I think meddling is meddling, and commenting is commenting, and the two are different.

Jerry Jones is in the coach's office determining who will be calling the plays, he's making the draft day decisions, he is the architect of that team. Irsay is saying he wants better performance, and telling his football people to fix it. He is engaged as an owner, but he is not making football decisions. (Al Davis would reportedly call down to the sidelines to tell the coach to throw the ball deep. Now THAT'S meddling.)

He didn't mention a coach specifically. Now if he said pep needs to call better offensive plays that would be calling them out.

No problem Stephen, I just skimmed the article and my bad if I'm wrong. Just my point is not to call out someone in public/social media. 

After the amount of time/money he put into trying to improve the Colts the last couple of years, I can't blame him for being * and talking about it publicly. Everyone knows that the Colts played like crap, the coaching staff is partially to blame. I dont think Hughes is going to magically come in and make the line better. Really, we need an entire new line. Can that be done in the draft, sure, can it be done in FA, sure. but you're limited to a certain number of picks and money each year. My hope is that Luck can survive this season behind yet another terrible line and maybe, finally, hopefully we'll spend the money where it is needed most.

I think meddling is meddling, and commenting is commenting, and the two are different.

Jerry Jones is in the coach's office determining who will be calling the plays, he's making the draft day decisions, he is the architect of that team. Irsay is saying he wants better performance, and telling his football people to fix it. He is engaged as an owner, but he is not making football decisions. (Al Davis would reportedly call down to the sidelines to tell the coach to throw the ball deep. Now THAT'S meddling.)

How do we know that Irsay is not in Pagano and Grigson's office saying things?  If the guy is willing to tweet about his frustration and that things need to change to protect Luck there I have to imagine he does not see a problem with going and saying it to them as well.

To me this kind of stuff just needs handled within closed doors.  It goes for the owner, player, and coaches.  Let the coach give his platitudes at the conference and leave everything else behind closed doors.