Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DaRick Rogers a Dez Bryant Julio Jones clone according to sources....

jshipp23

I like this low risk pickup and wanted him during the draft...I know he has serious character issues, but I think with vets like Wayne to learn from we could reign him in and have a steal here given time and patience...Numerous coaches and scouts around the league don't deny his physical attributes just question if he is capable of getting it...I love the fact Grigson never stops trying to looks for gems when you thought he was done, he brings you back in! 6-3 220 lb physical beast not bad for your 4th guy slash practice squad guy...If he gets serious and realizes his massive potential our receiving corps will rival anyone else in the NFL for years...I know it is a big "IF", but I love the fact it's our "IF"...

How's his hands? I hear about his size and speed but how are his hands and route running?

How's his hands? I hear about his size and speed but how are his hands and route running?

He's got good hands, they say he needs work on route running.  That can be fixed

I like this low risk pickup and wanted him during the draft...I know he has serious character issues, but I think with vets like Wayne to learn from we could reign him in and have a steal here given time and patience...Numerous coaches and scouts around the league don't deny his physical attributes just question if he is capable of getting it...I love the fact Grigson never stops trying to looks for gems when you thought he was done, he brings you back in! 6-3 220 lb physical beast not bad for your 4th guy slash practice squad guy...If he gets serious and realizes his massive potential our receiving corps will rival anyone else in the NFL for years...I know it is a big "IF", but I love the fact it's our "IF"...

This may come as a surprise, but I don't disagree with your post....

That said....

Remember....   think of the players who were knocked down in the draft due to character concerns...  recently, guys like Janoris Jenkins, (2nd round)  Tyrann Mathieu (3rd round)  and Montori Hughes (5th round with a 4th round '14 draft pick)....

Those guys were actually drafted.     But Rogers was passed over by everyone in the NFL....   254 picks and no one took him.

Think about how bad his personnel profile must look for every team to pass him over when he's got loads of talent?!?   Must look awful.

Then,  he signs as a free agent and with a team that could really use his talent....     and he doesn't even stick on the Practice Squad.

In short,  just because he's incredibly talented,  doesn't mean he'll ever live up to his skill set.   He might never grow-up and figure it out....   he might never "get it"...     He's always one stupid meatball thing away from being unemployed....

Just some food for thought....

I see the Dez Bryant comparison, but not the Julio Jones one.

Dez Bryant has the natural ability to be a top 5 receiver every year. It is really all up to him. 

I agree that the comparison can be made that each get in their own way, but I will not say that Rogers has the ability to be a top 5 receiver. If that was the case then every team would not have passed him up in the draft, he would not have been cut by the Bills, and he surely would not be sitting on our practice squad right now. 

They just have to give him a chance I think he will show the bills wat they did was a bad move

I'll never understand why players with that much natural talent choose to destroy their careers by being knuckleheads.  

He has to open his ears and his shut his mouth.  Do everything the coaches tell him on and off the field.  If he really has the talent he'll play.

I'll never understand why players with that much natural talent choose to destroy their careers by being knuckleheads.

He has to open his ears and his shut his mouth. Do everything the coaches tell him on and off the field. If he really has the talent he'll play.

There is just a lot of stupidity in the world idk how ppl do some thing they do

This may come as a surprise, but I don't disagree with your post....

That said....

Remember....   think of the players who were knocked down in the draft due to character concerns...  recently, guys like Janoris Jenkins, (2nd round)  Tyrann Mathieu (3rd round)  and Montori Hughes (5th round with a 4th round '14 draft pick)....

Those guys were actually drafted.     But Rogers was passed over by everyone in the NFL....   254 picks and no one took him.

Think about how bad his personnel profile must look for every team to pass him over when he's got loads of talent?!?   Must look awful.

Then,  he signs as a free agent and with a team that could really use his talent....     and he doesn't even stick on the Practice Squad.

In short,  just because he's incredibly talented,  doesn't mean he'll ever live up to his skill set.   He might never grow-up and figure it out....   he might never "get it"...     He's always one stupid meatball thing away from being unemployed....

Just some food for thought....

Honestly, I had the same thought.  The guy couldn't make the Bills???  Oh well, maybe Pagano and the vets can work some magic, but I'm not holding out much hope.  He should have seen the Bills as his "do over" and failed.  

I sure hope so but if he doesn't pan out, and if Heyward Bey doesn't have a good enough season to get resigned, WR will be a major candidate for our 1st round pick next year.

Hey-Bey is going to be just fine. 

He has a great attitude and is working hard at becoming a better receiver.

There is just a lot of stupidity in the world idk how ppl do some thing they do

It's not even that. He's stupid for his own sake. Would you rather be a troublemaker and under-achiever who makes 6,000 a week on a practice squad (not saying that's not decent money), or achieve your potential or overachieve and get millions of dollars to support yourself well and those around you.

The reality is that knuckleheads like this seldom do anything to better themselves. In the end he'll bust out of the league and end up on a police blotter. I don't suppose anyone remembers a college football WR named Fred Rouse? He was considered the best WR in HS, tall, very fast and great moves. He was also a complete Jerk that didn't listen to anyone and ran with his "posie". He went to FSU his home school and lasted 1 year before being kicked out. Went to UTEP for a year when they couldn't take him anymore then just faded away. Hate to say it but that's this guys fate, but if he does get his act together another team will claim him off of our PS..

Remember Pierre Garcon came from nowhere as well....If Rogers doesn't succeed here he won't succeed anywhere...Not a better spot for him to land and learn how a Pro should conduct himself....I have a feeling Mathis, Wayne, Luck and Pagano will get the most out of this kid....Bottom line is there is zero risk and this could pay off huge....

He has to open his ears and his shut his mouth.  Do everything the coaches tell him on and off the field.  If he really has the talent he'll play.

The talent chose them they didn't chose the talent. 

Our front office does a great job of finding and or picking up these guys.  It is on him what he does with it and him only.  Does not matter who is mentoring him. That being said Boyett, Lefeged I believe have had some off the field problems here recently. I hope this is not a trend!!!

The reality is that knuckleheads like this seldom do anything to better themselves. In the end he'll bust out of the league and end up on a police blotter. I don't suppose anyone remembers a college football WR named Fred Rouse? He was considered the best WR in HS, tall, very fast and great moves. He was also a complete Jerk that didn't listen to anyone and ran with his "posie". He went to FSU his home school and lasted 1 year before being kicked out. Went to UTEP for a year when they couldn't take him anymore then just faded away. Hate to say it but that's this guys fate, but if he does get his act together another team will claim him off of our PS..

I hear Janoris Jenkins is doing well

1.Football wise he dont have great breakaway speed, he needs to learn how to compensate that by changing the speed with which he makes his cuts I believe

2.He catches with his body to much...Attack the ball......dont allow the Corner a chance to attack it

I'm excited for this signing but not too excited. This guy is gonna have to price he really wants it. This really lies all on him. I have no doubt in our staff and guy like Reggie being able to help him develop and polish his game. The question he's gotta answer is how bad does he really want it? If he really wants it then hell knock the off the field junk off and get focused on refining his craft and possibly becoming a starter down the road.He's with a great team and a solid staff and hopefully he realizes that gets after it. I'd love to see this guy take off. He has the ability to be a serious weapon.