Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A. Q. Shipley traded

Marcio James

I liked Shipley out there over satele myself. I just think the trade makes sense. I think the trade shows what they see in Holmes not in satele. We also don't know the behind the scenes talk and production. I'm going to trust in Grigson to make the right moves for the betterment of the team.

I too trust Grigson.  I guess I watched Shipley way too close and Satele too.

I just hope Satele is the center for Pep's offense.  I honestly would rather see Holmes as a rookie start year one and move forward in year one of Pep.s offense.

Khaled Holmes:   Learn the offense just like Satele and compete young man!  I am for you now that we kept Satele.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well imo you're not going to carry 3 centers through to the final roster. So it is probably better than cutting one of them, at least we could get something for them rather than nothing. Could have been Satele instead though.

Nobody wanted Satele for the price of his contract or anything close.

im alright with this trade, shipley wasnt anything special and we get a draft pick out of a free agent pick up that wasnt really coveted.... in addition, satele and holmes are more than capable of playing center

Both were "stop gaps" last season.     Indy was BROKE cap wise.   They did the best they could have.    You just cannot throw away every starter on the OL and replace them in one season.    Indy came close tho...   They are well aware of the issues on the OL.  And they are addressing them accordingly. 

And SS was not healthy most of the season...    He may be a tad better if he is right..  

All quite good....but do we end up keeping the expensive, inadequate Satele and the incompetent McGlynn?

I liked Shipley out there over satele myself. I just think the trade makes sense. I think the trade shows what they see in Holmes not in satele. We also don't know the behind the scenes talk and production. I'm going to trust in Grigson to make the right moves for the betterment of the team.

I hope you are right......

Darned the cap hit :)

I want what gives the Colts the best chance to win....NOW.  Shipley wins by a landside over Satele in my eyes, and it seems you as well....and a whole lot of others.  As I said above to Superman, I hope this move does not burn our chances.  I also hope Holmes is a beast :)

Lol this is what I say http://youtu.be/9R71mctamUY   :funny:

You just made me think of something. What if the Ravens called Grigson and made the offer for Shipley?

I am certain that is how it played out. For a 7th round pick, if we end up getting a 6th or higher draft pick, we will end up eventual winners.

Now, the ones we have just need to show us Shipley was indeed expendable.

Based on this article, Shipley has to compete out there in Baltimore as well:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-sports-blitz-ravens-colts-trade-aq-shipley-20130509,0,7833436.story?track=rss

This line did catch my eye though:

Pro Football Focus gave Shipley, who can also play guard, positive grades in both run and pass blocking and credited him with five quarterback pressures and no sacks allowed on 284 passing plays.

I am certain that is how it played out. For a 7th round pick, if we end up getting a 6th or higher draft pick, we will end up eventual winners.

Now, the ones we have just need to show us Shipley was indeed expendable.

Based on this article, Shipley has to compete out there in Baltimore as well:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-sports-blitz-ravens-colts-trade-aq-shipley-20130509,0,7833436.story?track=rss

This line did catch my eye though:

Pro Football Focus gave Shipley, who can also play guard, positive grades in both run and pass blocking and credited him with five quarterback pressures and no sacks allowed on 284 passing plays.

It's very likely, right? I think some people get the impression that Grigson had determined that we had too many centers and decided Shipley would be the one to go. In all likelihood, the Ravens called him and made an offer for Shipley, and considering the state of the depth chart, Shipley was considered expendable. 

Without knowing the conditions of the draft pick we're supposed to get back in 2014, it's impossible for me to say whether we got a good deal or not (can't be more than a 6th, right?) But I don't think Grigson was just itching to get rid of Shipley. I think the Ravens wanted him, specifically. So Grigson never had to say "we either keep Shipley or we keep Satele," the way some are making it seem.

I just can't fathom people on this board. Looking at these reactions you'd think AQ Shipley was Nick Mangold or some pro bowl center. He has never gonna be anything more than average, and we don't settle for average around here anymore. It's obvious that Grigson and the coaches prefer talented guys with size on the o-line, something Shipley doesn't have. Satele and Holmes have that. Shipley played okay last year, but man people have been hyping him way too much.

Last year people questioned the moves made by Grigson, he proved them wrong. This year is the same song. I think he'll prove every naysayer wrong again.

Inb4 everyone mention Saturday as if Shipley was going to be Saturday 2.0

Seriously, James... I don't know where you're getting this.  Shipley is waaay bigger than Satele.

No one thinks Shipley is the next coming of Saturday.  But it boils down to this:  Shipley clearly outplayed Satele on a way cheaper contract.  That's the bottom line.

Shipley out played Satele last year in a different system. Last year was all about the deep ball and big plays. This year we are running a west coast offense with more of a power run game. Shipley is a little better pass blocker and suited for a zone blocking system. Satele is a run blocker better suited for a power run game and is better from shotgun. The quick passes of the west coast offense makes Satele's pass blocking liabilities less of an issue. Plus we will probably only have him starting for another year at most. The odds were Shipley was going to get cut so we might as well get something for him. If he is actually as great of a center as everyone is saying, then he should be the starter in Baltimore next year which will improve the value of the pick we get in return. It may not be my favorite trade ever but I understand it.

Seriously, what?  I honestly don't know where you folks are getting this.  :dunno:  Shipley was clearly the better run blocker last year.  Our run game often never got going until they pulled Satele in favor of Shipley.  If anything, Satele might be the better pass blocker, but not by much. 

2 things:

1.We ran mostly a Man blocking scheme last year

2.It was confirmed by one of the players recently that we will be running alot more Zone blocking this year

I think this comes down to 1 thing more then anything else (which is what I said it would come down to from the beginning)

1.We are paying Satele good money (His cap ht is 5,336,667 million dollars this year) which means Colts brass wont eat that and admit they are wrong about him

Yeah, Gavin's got it right... This is purely about the huge financial mistake they made with Satele.

In your eyes clearly, but obviously not in those of the guys who watch him day in and day out.

If you cant handle someone disliking some of Grigsons decisions regarding players on the roster (thats not the only thing I disagree with by the way) then why are you on a forum where opinions can and should be able to be given without ridicule, There are going to be people out there that dont agree with every decision Grigson makes like blind sheep its probably best to accept that

And in the quick blink of an unsuspecting eye,

the Colts 2013 promise blows up in the sky.

An era that seemed so bubbly and promising,

Is now full of pain and is so traumatizing.

Moving on from Shipley is the new storyline,

For all to watch throughout Colts football time.

Can Luck and Pagano recover from this woe,

Only time will tell on this tough road to hoe.

I doubt that

Castonzo, Thorton(recruited by Gilbert at Illinois), Holmes, Thomas(ran zone with josh Mcdaniels) and Cherilus(ran zone at Boston College), plus new OL coach Joe Gilbert all ran/coached a zone scheme in their career. Ballard said the scheme is similar to what he ran in college, and also said that it was man blocking with zone sprinkled in. I know what Pep background is regarding man blocking, but all signs lean towards more zone blocking than most think with the personnel up front

Castonzo, Thorton(recruited by Gilbert at Illinois), Holmes, Thomas(ran zone with josh Mcdaniels) and Cherilus(ran zone at Boston College), plus new OL coach Joe Gilbert all ran/coached a zone scheme in their career. Ballard said the scheme is similar to what he ran in college, and also said that it was man blocking with zone sprinkled in. I know what Pep background is regarding man blocking, but all signs lean towards more zone blocking than most think with the personnel up front

...and all but Holmes have played in a power scheme. Just look at what Ballard said...man blocking with zone sprinkled in.....which, by the way, would not be unique to the colts. When the head coach and offensive coordinator consistently stress a power running game it probably going to be a power running game.

If you cant handle someone disliking some of Grigsons decisions regarding players on the roster (thats not the only thing I disagree with by the way) then why are you on a forum where opinions can and should be able to be given without ridicule, There are going to be people out there that dont agree with every decision Grigson makes like blind sheep its probably best to accept that

i dont think people have a problem with your criticisms if you had ANY positive reviews. you like to bash every move they,make, as if you were more qualified to make football decisions than Grigson. it gets pretty ridiculous actually.

...and all but Holmes have played in a power scheme. Just look at what Ballard said...man blocking with zone sprinkled in.....which, by the way, would not be unique to the colts. When the head coach and offensive coordinator consistently stress a power running game it probably going to be a power running game.

Thorton never played in a power scheme either, just have to wait until training camp starts to really see what it's going to look like, but multiple signs lead to a nice percentage of zone blocking to be incorporated to the offense

Who said I couldn't handle your opinion?

I just said it was a marginal moveand you disagreed. So clearly the front office didn't hold the same opinions as you.

Don't get so defensive.

It's also amusing that your doing the exact thing your accusing me of, but honestly it's not a big deal in the first place.

No, some opinions should be ridiculed....and if one isn't prepared for that they shouldn't be on a forum.