Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A. Q. Shipley traded

Marcio James

Let me tell you how ridiculous some fans are. If they think for one hot damn minute if Shipley was sooooo good that no coach, line coach or anyone wouldn't have said so. And still somehow the peon Grigson (former gm of the year, former linemen, former scout) just totally ignored such admiration for Shipley and still traded him. Well, I really don't know what to tell you cause apparently you must be clueless or you're just one of those no it alls that if isn't your way it must be wrong.

Seriously, no reason to get worked into a frenzy over a back up for one. And for stuff we have no control over what so ever.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think people have a problem with your criticisms if you had ANY positive reviews. you like to bash every move they,make, as if you were more qualified to make football decisions than Grigson. it gets pretty ridiculous actually.

Not true, I actually liked plenty of what Grigson did this offseason, Not every move but quite a bit of them

Let me tell you how ridiculous some fans are. If they think for one hot darn minute if Shipley was sooooo good that no coach, line coach or anyone wouldn't have said so. And still somehow the peon Grigson (former gm of the year, former linemen, former scout) just totally ignored such admiration for Shipley and still traded him. Well, I really don't know what to tell you cause apparently you must be clueless or you're just one of those no it alls that if isn't your way it must be wrong.

Seriously, no reason to get worked into a frenzy over a back up for one. And for stuff we have no control over what so ever.

Just because he didn't get enough PT doesn't mean nobody ever spoke up about him.

I don't see why disagreeing with our GM makes someone clueless. I find it funny how hypocritical you are.

And I must say it, it's "know-it-all" not "no-it-all" haha

2. Let's say we get a 6th round pick for him. Yay for us, we get to draft someone that will likely be out of the league in 3 years. Let's not pretend we're getting a 3rd rounder for him. Sure there are lots of good players in the 6th/7th round, but for every Alfonzo Dennard, you get 100 Tim Fugger's.

btw, kinda off-topic, but what's up with fugger? is he still on the team, on IR or what??

Not surprising by any means. We knew that one of them had to go. A.Q. played decent and I wish him the best. Looks like Holmes is the man, unless Satele show vast improvement this year. I'm looking forward to watching these two in camp.

Indeed. Although Polian drafted 3 in one year. Oops, how did that sneak in there. Sorry.

Maybe...but Satele is a liability in the pass game...

hopefully Satele becomes the backup only...and does not see the field much if at all.

It's tough to judge how much a liability the center is when both guards and the right tackle are also liabilities in pass protection.

Obviously, I love the trade. We needed another center to bring competition to Gino Gradkowski, with Matt Birk gone at center. Shipley looks like he'll fit in nicely to the Ravens O-Line rotations. I'm not sure what pick the Colts will get, but the Ravens will again have alot of conditional draft choices because of the losses of Ed Reed, Cary Williams, and Ellerbe. Do you guys have a possession receiver for us ?

It's tough to judge how much a liability the center is when both guards and the right tackle are also liabilities in pass protection.

Not so much the RT.  Justice actually did a fairly good job last year.  The interior protection, however, was just a mess last year.  That's where the vast majority of the defensive penetration came from.

The only logical scenario I can see with the Shipley trade is that 1) they're convinced Khaled Holmes will be a lock to start, 2) they absolutely needed to trade either Satele or Shipley for roster space, and 3) no one was offering anything for Satele.

Point by point:

1) Maybe... maybe not.  I would've preferred to see Holmes in training camp before making that judgement

2) This is probably the case, given that we signed and drafted so many offensive linemen in the offseason

3) This is more likely than not.  I don't see any NFL team offering draft picks for Satele's high-priced contact, given his performance last year.

In any regard, if this was truly the scenario, I would've preferred waiting a bit to see if Holmes was really going to pan out.

Obviously, I love the trade. We needed another center to bring competition to Gino Gradkowski, with Matt Birk gone at center. Shipley looks like he'll fit in nicely to the Ravens O-Line rotations. I'm not sure what pick the Colts will get, but the Ravens will again have alot of conditional draft choices because of the losses of Ed Reed, Cary Williams, and Ellerbe. Do you guys have a possession receiver for us ?

You guys should sign Austin Collie. With the threat of the run that you guys have, and potential old college teammate chemistry that Collie will have with Pitta from BYU, Collie will find several open zones for you. But then, Collie might not last long in a division where you have to play the Steelers twice. :)

It might still end up being a low risk, high reward type of move.

You guys should sign Austin Collie. With the threat of the run that you guys have, and potential old college teammate chemistry that Collie will have with Pitta from BYU, Collie will find several open zones for you. But then, Collie might not last long in a division where you have to play the Steelers twice. :)

It might still end up being a low risk, high reward type of move.

I like it, but would Ozzie ?

Those are called compensatory picks not conditional. Also they are not tradable. But maybe your point is that the Ravens can afford to trade a conditional pick as they should have some compensatory picks coming.

The only logical scenario I can see with the Shipley trade is that 1) they're convinced Khaled Holmes will be a lock to start, 2) they absolutely needed to trade either Satele or Shipley for roster space, and 3) no one was offering anything for Satele.

Point by point:

1) Maybe... maybe not.  I would've preferred to see Holmes in training camp before making that judgement

2) This is probably the case, given that we signed and drafted so many offensive linemen in the offseason

3) This is more likely than not.  I don't see any NFL team offering draft picks for Satele's high-priced contact, given his performance last year.

In any regard, if this was truly the scenario, I would've preferred waiting a bit to see if Holmes was really going to pan out.

References to Satele's contract as a deterrent to trade are a bit funny to me.  $2.7 mill this year, and $4.2 next.  These are not albatross numbers.  The Colts cost is higher due to contract structure, but a trade partner's cap hits would be very reasonable.  Bottom line is he probably wasn't on the block, because he is our projected starter.  Everything Grigson has done this off-season has included his projection of a starting center...and that player is Satele for this year.  You can't GM a team any other way. People seem to be having trouble accepting that center was not a position that Grigson was projecting an upgrade for in 2013.  He did not draft Holmes projecting him as a starter this year.  Of course it is possible that they decide to go with the future today if Holmes wins the job....but that is not the way Grigson built his off-season projections for 2013. 

Not sure if true, but this article says its a conditional 4th round pick. Great trade if true. Don't know how reliable the source is. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indianapolis-colts-shrewdly-trade-center-baltimore-ravens-153000238.html

The article, not sure where it got the 4th rounder from. The article on Baltimore Ravens' website referenced by this article is suggesting a conditional pick too, maybe the writer got confused with Gradkowski being a former 4th rounder??? Not sure.

Just because he didn't get enough PT doesn't mean nobody ever spoke up about him.

I don't see why disagreeing with our GM makes someone clueless. I find it funny how hypocritical you are.

And I must say it, it's "know-it-all" not "no-it-all" haha

To some fans you are never allowed to question any decision by the GM or coach because that is your team.  You are just supposed to blindly support the team no matter what and like what every thing they do.  

Every GM makes bad calls throughout their tenure and this could be one of Grigson's mistakes.  It does not make fans "clueless" because they disagreed with a move they made.

Heck when it comes the Pacers I was saying that we should have taken Ty Lawson and looking back on it Ty would have been a much better pick than Hansbrough.  Larry Bird really missed on that one, but then he nails the Paul George pick and I was sitting there that night saying Paul who?

I figured either one of our centers was going to go.  I am a bit surprised it was Shipley because I leaned towards him, but it is not like he was that great either that this is a calamity to trade him.

Not surprised, had 3 centers not keeping all three if Holmes sucks at guard, Satele,s experience is making him the starter, maybe better guard play makes him better, His past performance indicates he a pretty good center. Trade Shipley and we get I bet a 6 to 7th rd pick if he makes the team not bad foe a free agent pickup, if not pick him back up if needed! Honestly no big deal.

References to Satele's contract as a deterrent to trade are a bit funny to me.  $2.7 mill this year, and $4.2 next.  These are not albatross numbers.  The Colts cost is higher due to contract structure, but a trade partner's cap hits would be very reasonable.  Bottom line is he probably wasn't on the block, because he is our projected starter.  Everything Grigson has done this off-season has included his projection of a starting center...and that player is Satele for this year.  You can't GM a team any other way. People seem to be having trouble accepting that center was not a position that Grigson was projecting an upgrade for in 2013.  He did not draft Holmes projecting him as a starter this year.  Of course it is possible that they decide to go with the future today if Holmes wins the job....but that is not the way Grigson built his off-season projections for 2013. 

95% of the responses here...OK 94.767 % still favor Shipley and Baltimore believes they have an "Up and coming" young center.  It looks like they have their Jeff Saturday provided by Saturday's team willing to give HIM a chance. 

I am with Mouthfire above.  I wish we would have waited to see how camp started out.  Maybe Grigs felt..."lets make this deal now" to ensure Holmes he has a chance to start."  He LOVES Holmes, and he seems like a special person and player even tough he was rated between the 5th and 7th best center in this draft.

We now have Satele, Holmes, Mcgynn and rookie UFA center Rick Schmeig. (From Purdue)  Not a whole lot of info on Schmeig.  Many UFA center MUST have been better...not in this top 30......who is the 3rd center?  McGlynn again?  OUCH (That was Luck hitting the turf)   :(

http://www.kffl.com/a.php/132926/nfl-draft/2013-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings--Centers

The best Centers ever to play the game have had a bad snap once in a while, I would rather have that then a Center that whiffs on his man and watch our QB pay the price for it

Just read of a bad snap or two that cost USC by Holmes, as well as getting manhandled by the Utes and in the Sun Bowl.  He needed double team help on Star Lotuleilei......

@RussellStReport: Just to clarify A.Q. Shipley cost the Ravens a conditional 7th Rd Pk if he makes the team.

I read that you liked the deal.....7th round clarifies it sucks.  Holmes HAS to return to 2011 form or will get manhandled at the NFL level. This deal flat out worries me.  We were not solid with Satele whatsoever.  We ran much better with Shipley....and no penalties

Oh well....gotta live with it...and a Purdue center that was not rated in the top 30 centers....oh...and possibly McAwful.

:).

I read that you liked the deal.....7th round clarifies it sucks. Holmes HAS to return to 2011 form or will get manhandled at the NFL level. This deal flat out worries me. We were not solid with Satele whatsoever. We ran much better with Shipley....and no penalties

Oh well....gotta live with it...and a Purdue center that was not rated in the top 30 centers....oh...and possibly McAwful.

Holmes did bad for a quarter against Star in his first game back from injury, after that 1st quarter he settled down and played pretty well the rest of the way against star. And Holmes was good against Star in 2011 as well. People think he is going to get manhandled just because of that 1st quarter. Shipley had no space on the team after selecting Holmes, so we got some kind of value for a career practice squad and backup center.

@RussellStReport: Just to clarify A.Q. Shipley cost the Ravens a conditional 7th Rd Pk if he makes the team.

Ok this is just a bad trade striaght up i dont know how you can look at this from a good POV.

what they hell do we gain from trading Shipley a rubbish 7th round pick. 

first move ive really disagreed with from grigson 

Holmes did bad for a quarter against Star in his first game back from injury, after that 1st quarter he settled down and played pretty well the rest of the way against star. And Holmes was good against Star in 2011 as well. People think he is going to get manhandled just because of that 1st quarter. Shipley had no space on the team after selecting Holmes, so we got some kind of value for a career practice squad and backup center.

What centers do you think were avalablle were better that Holmes?  Was he top 5 last year?

They doubled Star Htown when he was struggling.  I also mentioned the snap (s) because of Shipley's one bad snap.

I respect your stuff on here, but I am hoping Holmes is ready to play....Satele made me ill...and apparently a whole lot of others.

What centers do you think were avalablle were better that Holmes? Was he top 5 last year?

They doubled Star Htown when he was struggling. I also mentioned the snap (s) because of Shipley's one bad snap.

I respect your stuff on here, but I am hoping Holmes is ready to play....Satele made me ill...and apparently a whole lot of others.

Schwenke is the only center I felt that was better than Holmes going into the draft.

And you might want to re watch the star vs USC game because Holmes is still blocking Star one on one for the most part of the game and did a fine job other than that forgettable 1st quarter and that coming from an high ankle sprain way too early

I read that you liked the deal.....7th round clarifies it sucks. Holmes HAS to return to 2011 form or will get manhandled at the NFL level. This deal flat out worries me. We were not solid with Satele whatsoever. We ran much better with Shipley....and no penalties

Dont worry about it. Honestly, people who should worry about such things dont seem to be so why should we.

I remember McShay saying pretty much the same thing months ago

Schwenke is the only center I felt that was better than Holmes going into the draft.

And you might want to re watch the star vs USC game because Holmes is still blocking Star one on one for the most part of the game and did a fine job other than that forgettable 1st quarter and that coming from an high ankle sprain way too early

I will check it out...read it in 2 of Holmes articles where he was ranked 5 in one and 8th in the next.  

I liked Schwenke because he payed guard in 2011.  I think my biggest worry is if Satele starts and gets injured....who is the 3rd center if Holmes goes down.  I really do not want McGlynn on the team.

I will check it out...read it in 2 of Holmes articles where he was ranked 5 in one and 8th in the next.

I liked Schwenke because he payed guard in 2011. I think my biggest worry is if Satele starts and gets injured....who is the 3rd center if Holmes goes down. I really do not want McGlynn on the team.

a 3rd center is the least of anybody's worries lol, and it's usually a guard that's versatile enough to play center like a McGlynn.

video

Thanks for the video.....I am in the boonies so I will wait for more than the first 2 plays shown.  He got pushed a little on the 1st, but hold his own.

I am hard on QBs when it comes to snaps.  Barkey could have done a better job an 'attempting' to get that one...not a good snap but come on :)  I will check out more when I get home.

a 3rd center is the least of anybody's worries lol, and it's usually a guard that's versatile enough to play center like a McGlynn.

Both of ours have a history of injuries so I am worried.  Satele had knee injuries last year and nagging foot injuries....He was injured when Shipley hurt HIS knee

Oe of those games Allen was next man up on the OL.....so I will never LOL about linemen going down...

Edited by BrentMc11

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 11, 2013 - OP request, quoted own post
Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 11, 2013 - OP request, quoted own post

Both of ours have a history of injuries so I am worried.  Satele had knee injuries last year and nagging foot injuries....He was injured when Shipley hurt HIS ankle.

One of those games Allen was next man up on the OL.....so I will never LOL about linemen going down...