Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson finishes 3rd in ESPN panel survey of executive of the year

Jules

#colts GM Ryan Grigson finished 3rd in Executive of the Year in survey of ESPNers. Can't say that I agreed. http://es.pn/W9GeNo

And...

Pagano: on Bruce Arians possible Coach of the Year -- he's got my vote.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a guy brings in 1 player to a team that was already playoff contenders and he is the executive of the year?, The fact that its Peyton Manning should not have anything to do with it, The Broncos had the money.

Seattle ok I buy them being in the running although if your gonna put them in then you might as we;; throw the Redskins in there to

But yet a GM who has a HC get cancer, also has to rebuild a team from near scratch, New offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, who went 10-6 or possibly 11-5 is voted for 3rd place? I mean they had a good draft to and picked up Garcon and look where it has them

Not even gonna touch John Claytons silly statement

Not only should it have been Grigson for all the reasons mentioned in Kuharsky's story,  but for a big reason he did NOT mention...

The Salary Cap.

We've got about $40 Million in dead cap space.    So, we're operating on roughly an $80 Million dollar budget.

You think a lot of teams are operating on a budget only 2/3rds as big as the other teams?     I think that made Grigson's job dramatically more difficult and hi-lites what a great, great job he did.

Elway -- one move.

Schneider -- his draft was great.

Grigson -- great draft,  great free agent signings,  and doing it all with an $80 Million dollar budget.   And he turned over nearly 70% of the roster doing all that.

Sorry,  but to me, he wins it going away....

Too bad....   maybe some other media outlet will recognize him...   he's earned it.

I don't like the idea, that Elway is in exec. of the year consideration. Schneider and Grigrs did more than he. He signed Peyton, but that was a no-brainer, low risk acquisition. We couldn't afford to keep PM, as we had to rebuild the team, but Broncos only needed a QB.

Schneider made also great decisions like Grigs...so they should be considered in this race.

Perhaps I'm biased but Grigs did more with a scorned, underrated team than other 2.

Before factoring in things like the draft, handling the cap, turning a 2-14 team to a playoff team, hiring an all new coaching staff, having to tweak the roster every week due to major injuries, and oh by the way having your Head Coach get cancer after just three games I think people need to ask themselves the following question before they vote for GM of the Year.

Which job sounds harder?

Being the team that is getting Peyton Manning or being the team that has to replace him? 

The Broncos were a playoff team last year WITHOUT Peyton and in fact one of the big pros I heard ESPN saying about Denver signing him was that was a situation they couldn't lose in because they got to dump Tebow so even if Peyton didn't work out they still got ride of Tebow which was the main goal.  They signed him to pretty much a one year deal that they can option into the rest of the contract after this year.   There was really little risk involved on their part.  Yet now ESPN is trying to make it sound like it was the most gutsy decision ever made in the history of football.  I am sorry but cutting Peyton Manning for an unproven NFL rookie is a lot more gutsy than signing him.  I head Sal Pal on local radio today and he was tearing a part his co-workers up there at ESPN for not going with Grigson at least someone up there follows what is going on around the league. 

Like many of you have already stated quite eloquently acquiring Peyton Manning for the Broncos doesn't exactly dictate NFL Executive of the Year to me. And, you are also correct when you state that Tim Tebow winning the division last year & a playoff game really doesn't aid Manning or the Broncos case at all either. 

Grigson was cash strapped & did more with less than any other franchise & still achieved success this season IMO. Finishing 3rd is a darn travesty plain & simple. The Colts had the #1 draft pick in April & we secured a Playoff spot. No one saw that one coming. If they state otherwise, they are inhaling an illegal substance. 

Anyone could have signed Manning, it's not like John Elway did the greatest thing ever.

Exactly Bogie! Giving credit to John Elway for signing Manning is like naming someone the greatest bank robber since John Dillinger after you as bank manager supply Dillinger with the bank combinations/codes. 

Not a spectacular safe cracker there now are ya John? 

john-dillinger-public-enemy-no-1-daniel-

54067048_e407035935.jpg

This really, and I mean really, irks me. W-T-F, are these guys blind? Elway brings in Manning, instant Exec of the Year.. he's just lucky Manning chose him.

I can understand Schneider. He had a phenomenal year, but Grig's was just a little better.

Is this the official ballot?

I don't believe so. ESPN does not award this, the Sporting News does. Last year, Ted Thompson won it.  It was published Jan 30, 2012 -

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-01-30/sporting-news-2011-nfl-awards-ted-thompson-executive-of-the-year

Grigson still has a shot to receive his well deserved award.  Scheider should be a close 2nd, Elway a distant 3rd IMO.

If any other Exec. wins this award this yr., other than Grigson, It's a slap in the face to the Colts. Grigson built a playoff team with 40 million dollars in dead cap space. He assembled a team of players with heart and determination to somehow compete for a playoff spot even though they are really not even remotely talented enough to be there. He found guys that were shunned from other teams but Grigson brought them in anyway and they made contributions to the team.

Elway was nothing more than lucky that Manning chose to go to Denver. Trading Tebow was a no brainer that anybody would have done.

Schneider done an alright job, but let's not forget he brought in another QB, and paid him over 8.5 million dollars to be a backup. That alone, would take him out of the running IMO.

Exactly Bogie! Giving credit to John Elway for signing Manning is like naming someone the greatest bank robber since John Dillinger after you as bank manager supply Dillinger with the bank combinations/codes.

Not a spectacular safe cracker there now are ya John?

john-dillinger-public-enemy-no-1-daniel-

54067048_e407035935.jpg

You know the story of Dillinger making a gun out of wax or soap, and then using it to break out of jail?

Yeah that happened in my home towns jail lol. When they made the John Dillinger movie staring Johhny Depp they actually used the real jail in the movie. People were camped out for hours waiting to see Johnny lmao

If any other Exec. wins this award this yr., other than Grigson, It's a slap in the face to the Colts. Grigson built a playoff team with 40 million dollars in dead cap space. He assembled a team of players with heart and determination to somehow compete for a playoff spot even though they are really not even remotely talented enough to be there. He found guys that were shunned from other teams but Grigson brought them in anyway and they made contributions to the team.

Elway was nothing more than lucky that Manning chose to go to Denver. Trading Tebow was a no brainer that anybody would have done.

Schneider done an alright job, but let's not forget he brought in another QB, and paid him over 8.5 million dollars to be a backup. That alone, would take him out of the running IMO.

and Schneider has been building up the Seahawks for 3 years...

Grigson deserves this award, but he won't get it.  The only award I see the Colts getting is Coach of the Year.  I think Wilson is going to beat out Luck for Offensive ROY.  Either way, I really don't care.  As long as they're all doing their jobs by making the right moves and winning games, that's all we should be worried about.

Grigs, you're doing one heckuva job man.  Keep doing your thing.

Elway has had a few years of work under his belt as a G.M.

I "get" it. Grigson "lucked" out with the one pick. Elway had to convince Peyton to go to Denver over other contenders.

True, because Manning could have very well chosen the better team in the 49ers. Elway should at least get some credit here.

I'm curious how much was Elway with a great sales pitch, or just Manning deciding he wanted to play there.

Me too, but I'm sure Elway had some kind of pitch. Manning had another tempting option in the AFC, but he forewent that and decided to become a Bronco instead. I guess we'll never figure these things out until after he retires hahaha.

I think Grigson has done a good job HOWEVER the 2 biggest decisions facing this team were not his. Jim Irsay said the the Manning decision was HIS and HE (meaning Irsay) would decide what was best. If Grigson had anything to do with it, it was never made public. Grigson cannot be given credit for something that he had no involvement with. The drafting of Luck was a decision made during the regular season last year, when it began to look like the Colts would get the first pick the "suck for Luck" crusade began. Taking out those 2 HUGE decisions would you say that he still qualifies for executive of the year? He has made excellent decisions on other things and brought in a great staff but nothing that would stand out as the HUGE decisions Irsay had to make. I think next year when he can put his stamp on everything will be his year.

I think Grigson has done a good job HOWEVER the 2 biggest decisions facing this team were not his. Jim Irsay said the the Manning decision was HIS and HE (meaning Irsay) would decide what was best. If Grigson had anything to do with it, it was never made public. Grigson cannot be given credit for something that he had no involvement with. The drafting of Luck was a decision made during the regular season last year, when it began to look like the Colts would get the first pick the "suck for Luck" crusade began. Taking out those 2 HUGE decisions would you say that he still qualifies for executive of the year? He has made excellent decisions on other things and brought in a great staff but nothing that would stand out as the HUGE decisions Irsay had to make. I think next year when he can put his stamp on everything will be his year.

My thoughts for Grigson getting executive of the yr. have absolutely nothing at all to do with the Manning or Luck decisions. Like I said earlier, the biggest and most obvious reason he should win it hands down, is because he built a playoff team with 40 million dollars in dead cap money. This shouldn't even be a debate, Grigs should win this award with ease.

My thoughts for Grigson getting executive of the yr. have absolutely nothing at all to do with the Manning or Luck decisions. Like I said earlier, the biggest and most obvious reason he should win it hands down, is because he built a playoff team with 40 million dollars in dead cap money. This shouldn't even be a debate, Grigs should win this award with ease.

Agree that it shouldn't be close . Elway and Schneider have done great jobs but their body of work includes more years than just 2012. If the award is for the best GM in 2012 , Grigson hands down. If it's for the best job in recent years , the other two guys are also deserving. Grigson had a great draft , excellent free agent pick ups , good trades and has put together a great staff. He did this would no extra draft picks other than a compensatory pick or two , a ton of dead cap space . Probably one of the better jobs a GM has done in a good number of years.

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

#colts GM Ryan Grigson finished 3rd in Executive of the Year in survey of ESPNers. Can't say that I agreed. http://es.pn/W9GeNo

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/45535/espn-panel-picks-nfl-executive-of-the-year

And...

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

Pagano: on Bruce Arians possible Coach of the Year -- he's got my vote.

amazing....I always have loved John Elway....

..but what did he do...? He looked at Manning and Tebow and said we gotta get Peyton/...

What's his next discovery...That butter goes good on bread?

Manning over Tebow was a much easier call than Luck over RGIII (or the trade option)

Ryan Grigson had an almost empty building in January..He may have gotten lucky with a couple of picks and signings but he made the choices. I don think that nationally....media and fans know how stripped won the Colts were, especially on offense.

Amusing. Polian was a genius for signing Manning, but Elway is not?

Come on guys, please show some consistency!

On topic, Grigson deserves all the aclaim he can get....

Brave....Not the same thing. Not even close

Polian chose a college player....who turned out to be 'the' Peyton Manning

John Elway chose 'the' Peyton Manning...

Polian guessed at what Manning could be.....Elway KNEW what he could be...and he gambled that he'd return to health.

Polian gets a lot more credit for picking Peyton.

Elway gets credit for a good gamble

Brave....Not the same thing. Not even close

Polian chose a college player....who turned out to be 'the' Peyton Manning

John Elway chose 'the' Peyton Manning...

Polian guessed at what Manning could be.....Elway KNEW what he could be...and he gambled that he'd return to health.

Polian gets a lot more credit for picking Peyton.

Elway gets credit for a good gamble

Just playin' with y'all.....

Although some might say 'the rookie' vs 'the injury' is a fair comparison? Perhaps even a little? 

Just playin' with y'all.....

Although some might say 'the rookie' vs 'the injury' is a fair comparison? Perhaps even a little? 

I back down....

Granted.......Gambling and winning can be considered quality executive decision-making, sure...it can.

Elway made a very bold move....against the grain in the Tebow-Manning thing....too

My worst nightmare is if neither Arians, Grigson or Luck win anything, we are one and done in the playoffs and RG3 or Wilson roll in the playoffs to the point where the media starts harping on them being better than Luck.   Uuugghhh.   

Luck's career will be decided by his play / record on the field of play, just like everyone else's, and not by the talking heads. Relax....

True, because Manning could have very well chosen the better team in the 49ers. Elway should at least get some credit here.

(small talk alert)

I grew up a 9ers fan. Do you know how easy that would have been for me? Oh well.

On topic.

I think it's hard to give Grigson too much credit, so If they wanted to give it to him, great.

I just think that considering the fact that it's his first year, it's difficult to really know where he's at. Irsay pulled the trigger on all of the tough stuff honestly.

I do like the later picks and I'm guessing Grigson had a heavy hand in getting guys like T.Y, Dwayne Allen, Ballard.