Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson finishes 3rd in ESPN panel survey of executive of the year

Jules

I can see that and agree with it. I remember reading how he wasn't really interested in the Dolphins that much, but met with them as a favor to Marino. With that said I don't think he's looking to waste his or anyone else's time. If that were the case, he would have gladly met with Peter Carroll on the tarmac at the airport when they parked the Seahawks plane trying to get a meeting, or he would have visited each every team that showed an interest like Kansas City for example. 

I think that he and Elway had a connection, and I think that he liked most if not all he saw from Denver. It wasn't a huge market. Young team that could grow around him over his last 5 or so years in the league, etc. 

Exactly FJC! What in the world was Pete Carroll thinking?! You don't show up unannounced with Peyton Manning & expect to automatically get "penciled in." #18 just isn't some new rookie at minicamp who hasn't paid his dues in the NFL yet. 

Good point! A smaller market team did have a great appeal to Manning. The constant scrutiny of the celebrity spotlight was not attractive to Manning. I still remember reports on NFL Network stating that the paparazzi were chasing him down the freeway in Miami & he simply pulled over & spoke with camera crew members just to avoid an accident. I personally believe that Manning only spoke with the Dolphins as a favor to another QB idol of #18's named Dan Marino. 

Denver was a great fit was Peyton IMO. I never saw him getting along with HC Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco either. Who has the ultimate sideline control in that scenario? Can Peyton overrule Jim in the huddle play sheet wise? Okay sure, the 2 men can find some common ground, but something just didn't feel right. 

Age like you say FJC is an important factor too. The 49ers are a young squad, but the the Broncos had a nice mix of both youth & veteran leadership IMO. Peyton needs to win now. The clock is ticking...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly FJC! What in the world was Pete Carroll thinking?! You don't show up unannounced with Peyton Manning & expect to automatically get "penciled in." #18 just isn't some new rookie at minicamp who hasn't paid his dues in the NFL yet. 

Good point! A smaller market team did have a great appeal to Manning. The constant scrutiny of the celebrity spotlight was not attractive to Manning. I still remember reports on NFL Network stating that the paparazzi were chasing him down the freeway in Miami & he simply pulled over & spoke with camera crew members just to avoid an accident. I personally believe that Manning only spoke with the Dolphins as a favor to another QB idol of #18's named Dan Marino. 

Denver was a great fit was Peyton IMO. I never saw him getting along with HC Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco either. Who has the ultimate sideline control in that scenario? Can Peyton overrule Jim in the huddle play sheet wise? Okay sure, the 2 men can find some common ground, but something just didn't feel right. 

Age like you say FJC is an important factor too. The 49ers are a young squad, but the the Broncos had a nice mix of both youth & veteran leadership IMO. Peyton needs to win now. The clock is ticking...

At training camp and practice, Harbaugh likes to call the play in the huddle every time. It's one of the things that I like about him as a coach, but it's one of the chief reasons he and Peyton would have been water and oil. Not that they couldn't have found a way to make it work, but there would have been some strife for sure.

With Pete Carroll, it's a good thing he did what he did. That's who he is; I don't know why he should have tried to temper his personality. If Manning was responsive, great, but if not, that's okay, because then they know it's not a good fit. Elway played his cards right, from jump. He was a big part of making the Manning acquisition happen, even to the point of Manning turning down a financially lucrative offer from the Titans. Elway had a great pitch, but even at the last minute, the Cardinals were still on Manning's radar, according to Peter King. Up until they optioned Kevin Kolb's contract, they were one of the three finalists. In a way, they kind of helped Manning choose Denver.

Is that what it was? I could never really remember I just knew he faked a weapon somehow lol.

I live about 5-10 minutes away from that jailhouse, but I have never done the tour.

Crown Point's greatest claim to fame, other than our astronaut haha

Is that what it was? I could never really remember I just knew he faked a weapon somehow lol.

I live about 5-10 minutes away from that jailhouse, but I have never done the tour.

Crown Point's greatest claim to fame, other than our astronaut haha

2nd greatest...House.....Hillary came to Crown Point to drink beer with her homies in 2008