Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Case Reopened

Golfr

Vick Ballard should remain the starting RB and get the most carries. VB effort and athleticism on the last play is evidence enough for me. He showed on that one play how explosive he really is. VB can do it all, has speed, power, quickness and can be elusive.

Donald Brown looked every bit as good. I like our staple of running backs right now. I think the only thing yesterday showed is that we're ready to give all of them a bigger chunk of the offense. In other words, keep running the ball more.

It was definitely a case of Ballard being the Power back, and Brown being the Speed back. Excellent tandum.

I still am baffled at why Moore is getting more play time than Carter. That's just dumb to me.

Moore normally comes in on passing downs because he's one of the better 3rd down backs in the league. He is the best of our 4 backs at picking up the blitz and he's basically like an extra receiver when he's on the field. He's going to get more opportunities than Carter because Carter and Ballard are similar runners. Moore offers something the other backs aren't as good at. I do like Carter, and wish we could find a way to get him more carries though.

One other thing (on a somewhat unrelated note) is that our ground game got much better when Fleener got hurt and we put Reitz in as an extended linemen. In particular, go back and watch his blocking at the 13:40 mark in overtime on 2nd and 1. He absolutely pancaked Kamerion Wimbley. Linkenbach has been solid and I know the staff doesn't want to rock the boat, but they have got to find a way to get Reitz back on the line starting. He looked healthy yesterday, and is clearly our best guard right now.

One other thing (on a somewhat unrelated note) is that our ground game got much better when Fleener got hurt and we put Reitz in as an extended linemen. In particular, go back and watch his blocking at the 13:40 mark in overtime on 2nd and 1. He absolutely pancaked Kamerion Wimbley. Linkenbach has been solid and I know the staff doesn't want to rock the boat, but they have got to find a way to get Reitz back on the line starting. He looked healthy yesterday, and is clearly our best guard right now.

Saunders certainly did well blocking when Fleener went out as well. He also had a good catch!

Saunders certainly did well blocking when Fleener went out as well. He also had a good catch!

Agreed. Saunders was a solid pickup by Grigson. I just wish they would've kept Dom Jones and released Kyle Miller instead. Dom was in our rotation at one point; Miller hasn't even played. Don't understand the logic behind that move. Overall, TE is one of our biggest strengths, though

If you like one player, is it really important to dislike the other?

They're both Colts, correct?

Coaches should know what's right, what's wrong, and when the time's right, shouldn't they?

I understand everyone has they're opinion. I just have a difficult time understanding the angst towards the teammate.

Family? Friend? Frat Bro? Agent?

I've not seen one person yet go "D. Brown" is good, but Ballard is better" It's just straight up "I saw Ballard to this or that and he won with an amazing TD, never mind the fact that Brown gave perhaps his best drive of the year and he got us in position to score. Brown had more yards and a higher YPC, why ignore this? I think this battle (this very healthy battle) is nowhere near decided from this game. If anything this game showed evidence of a why we should keep a tandem rather than have one be a mostly every down back

I think Donald Brown falls into the Jerry Hughes catagory. Fans just have a perception about him that will be difficult to overcome. Players like that have to perform substantially better than others just to be viewed as the same. IMO, Brown stays number 1 with Ballard as the backup.

I think Donald Brown falls into the Jerry Hughes catagory. Fans just have a perception about him that will be difficult to overcome. Players like that have to perform substantially better than others just to be viewed as the same. IMO, Brown stays number 1 with Ballard as the backup.

I see your point and I agree, but I have to say that DB was never as disappointing as Hughes... DB played badly at times, but Hughes didn't even show up until we stood him up... If Brown isn't shedding his "bust" label now, then Hughes never will.

Brown is on pace for over a 1000 yards this season SHARING CARRIES which in my opinion is completely unecessary for him to have to do
that's pretty impressive but he dosen't strike me as a back that can handle a full workload..i'm a fan of rb by committee..great way to keep our guys fresh without too much wear and tear..

Personally I think they should share carries/split time.

I don't think either has the ability to fit the "Edgerin James, Ever-Down-Back, from his MNF intros."

They should both be used and kept fresh more like Rhodes/Addai. Each will get their carries with Carter getting a few here and there.

I agree FJC. Personally I think Brown is the better player, but Ballard has earned himself the right to more looks I'll say that.

Moore normally comes in on passing downs because he's one of the better 3rd down backs in the league. He is the best of our 4 backs at picking up the blitz and he's basically like an extra receiver when he's on the field. He's going to get more opportunities than Carter because Carter and Ballard are similar runners. Moore offers something the other backs aren't as good at. I do like Carter, and wish we could find a way to get him more carries though.

I think Wesley Saunders laid some good blocks as well.

I see your point and I agree, but I have to say that DB was never as disappointing as Hughes... DB played badly at times, but Hughes didn't even show up until we stood him up... If Brown isn't shedding his "bust" label now, then Hughes never will.

I agree. I used to use the bust label on both of them, but happily will say now that both are valuable contributors to this team.

Brown is on pace for over a 1000 yards this season SHARING CARRIES which in my opinion is completely unecessary for him to have to do

You think Brown could be an every down back? I think as long as Ballard continues to do well, something like a 60-40 split or so for Brown would be just about right.

Mike McGlynn had a nice game. Flattened his man on a few plays as pulling guard.

He did. We'd be amiss not to give credit to the Oline. All three RBs had good games. That can't happen unless the linemen are winning their assignments. Still need to improve the pass blocking though.

You think Brown could be an every down back? I think as long as Ballard continues to do well, something like a 60-40 split or so for Brown would be just about right.

He can run between the Tackles, he can catch and he is more then capable of rushing 25 times a game, Much like Hughes, Brown has garnered unjust scrutiny if you consider how much time as the #! option they have both got, Hughes needs to develop more pass rushing moves in my opinion instead of just the bull rush or dipping his shoulder but he has the speed and motor but yeah I think what Arians wants to do is 60-40 split which means the whole debate of Brown or Ballard will go on and on and on

It is absolutely necessary........now if Donald would stop "stopping" in the backfield then maybe he would get more carries.

One nice play and the guy is the best thing since sliced bread huh? Donald Brown if healthy should be the starter - period. :)

they forget Donald Brown had a 39 yard catch and run to jumpstart the game winning drive vs Packers. some fans just have selective amnesia when it comes to Brown. which is pretty sad being how productive he has been over the past 2 years and averaging 4.3 ypc this year and has 1 fumble his whole career.

This is not true.........I doubt DB has rushed for much more then 1500 yards in his entire career.

Donald Brown is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL. No matter what he does the man can't get no respect... even if he averages 5.7 yards a game like he did vs Tennessee. I wasn't a fan of the move in the beginning, but have to admit that he has done well when out there.

Our stable is turning out to be something as our run blocking keeps getting better and better to give them chances. I think the split between Brown, Ballard, and Carter should be something like 60/35/5, respectively. That's also a good split to aim for because then, in order to make sure we get our carries in, Luck's not throwing it 50+ times a game.

I'm glad our dedication to running the ball even when it wasn't working early on in the year is paying dividends so soon. I wasn't expecting us to really improve there until closer to the end of the season. Our linemen have taken to it quickly, and both of our rookie TE's are positive contributors to the run game. All the sudden, our backs have finally caught a lucky break and find themselves in a great situation for them to produce!