Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts and Vinatieri agree on 1 year deal

Timo1

31 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Great news!  I was hoping Adam would become the all time leading scorer as a Colt. I believe i read somewhere he only needs 58 points.

Yes, he is 57 points behind Mort Anderson (2,544) with 2,487 points.https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/scoring_career.htm

In a low scoring season (for Vinny) he had 109 points last year (only 22 PATs, compared with 44 the year prior).  On that pace, he should break the record in game 9.

With Luck back, and a better offense, he'll break it before the mid point of the season.  In Luck's 3 fully healthy seasons he score 115, 139 and 140 points.

It would be nice to see Vinny go out on top, as one of the most clutch players in NFL history and as a class act.  Regardless, it'll nice to see him cement himself (probably first-ballot) as a HOFer by breaking the NFL scoring record in Indy.

13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

How does this thread only have about 5 replies. 

This was news hours ago.

Anyway, I was hoping we would bring Vinny back on a one-year contract. Bring in a young guy during camp and have an honest competition. 

If we sign back Vinny there is no honest competition during training camp; it is Vinny's job barring injury. I'd love to bring him back for at least one more year...

7 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

If we sign back Vinny there is no honest competition during training camp; it is Vinny's job barring injury. I'd love to bring him back for at least one more year...

I disagree completely. I am actually not sure I could disagree with you more. The only thing I agree with you about is that I think it's a good idea to bring Vinny back. 

Vinny is not signing a blockbuster deal and he is at the age where he could get cut by a young up-and-coming kicker. It happens. This is the NFL.

I am not saying Vinny will get cut. However, to think he will not have serious competition during this off-season is completely wrong. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I disagree completely. I am actually not sure I could disagree with you more. The only thing I agree with you about is that I think it's a good idea to bring Vinny back. 

Vinny is not signing a blockbuster deal and he is at the age where he could get cut by a young up-and-coming kicker. It happens. This is the NFL.

I am not saying Vinny will get cut. However, to think he will not have serious competition during this off-season is completely wrong. 

Okay. We can agree to disagree. If I were running the Colts and wanted a kicker competition, last thing I would do is sign back Vinny. You don't bring a 20+ year vet who is arguably the GOAT at his position and less than a season away from breaking an all time record to burn up his leg in a preseason kicking competition with a UDFA.  

2 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

Okay. We can agree to disagree. If I were running the Colts and wanted a kicker competition, last thing I would do is sign back Vinny. You don't bring a 20+ year vet who is arguably the GOAT at his position and less than a season away from breaking an all time record to burn up his leg in a preseason kicking competition with a UDFA.  

I am sure Vinny knows what he is getting himself in to. This is a young mans game. If they do not retire then they all get cut... eventually. 

And BTW, Vinny himself was also once, a UDFA. :) 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am sure Vinny knows what he is getting himself in to. This is a young mans game. They all get cut... eventually. 

If you do sign him, then check off the position and bring in a camp leg. This situation is not like the punter situation last year, which is a great example of signing a vet, bringing in competition, and going with the best player. If there is any doubt in your mind that Vinny is the guy, you just don't sign him to a one year deal. Simple as that. Vinny isn't coming back to a 4-12 team to be in an off season/preseason kicking competition. 

13 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

If you do sign him, then check off the position and bring in a camp leg. This situation is not like the punter situation last year, which is a great example of signing a vet, bring in competition, and going with the best player. If there is any doubt in your mind that Vinny is the guy, you just don't sign him to a one year deal. Simple as that. Vinny isn't coming back to a 4-12 team to be in an off season/preseason kicking competition. 

Vinny was kicking 60-yard field goals during training camp last year. Saw it with my own eyes and posted it on this board from my seat at Lucas. He was 44-years old....

This training camp he is 45-years old. Eventually, one of these "extra" years will catch up to him. His leg will lose power, and he will start missing more frequently. It can even happen overnight.

Factor in that Indianapolis is one of the best places for a young kicker to gain confidence. We play inside and away from the elements. I believe it's a main reason why we have had so much success with kickers and punters, over the years. The only bad kicker I can remember playing for us was Mike Cofer, but he was terrible before we signed him. I was baffled that we did, but that's another story.

Some might think we have been blessed with kickers, and there is some truth to it. However, I think we have the perfect breeding ground for young kickers. 

We could bring in a young stud kicker who gains confidence throughout the off-season process, and he could upset Vinny. It is very possible. And there are some good young kickers in this draft too. Probably only a couple will get drafted. As usual, most of them will go undrafted. I think a young kicker with some talent will see an opportunity here to beat out a 45-year old kicker. Therefore, we will get the cream of the crop here competing against Vinny. I think it is about a 25% chance that Vinny loses too. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

This was news hours ago.

Anyway, I was hoping we would bring Vinny back on a one-year contract. Bring in a young guy during camp and have an honest competition. 

We got 99 problems and our kicker ain't one 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Vinny was kicking 60-yard field goals during training camp last year. Saw it with my own eyes and posted it on this board from my seat at Lucas. He was 44-years old....

This training camp he is 45-years old. Eventually, one of these "extra" years will catch up to him. His leg will lose power, and he will start missing more frequently. It can even happen overnight.

Factor in that Indianapolis is one of the best places for a young kicker to gain confidence. We play inside and away from the elements. I believe it's a main reason why we have had so much success with kickers and punters, over the years. The only bad kicker I can remember playing for us was Mike Cofer, but he was terrible before we signed him. I was baffled that we did, but that's another story.

Some might think we have been blessed with kickers, and there is some truth to it. However, I think we have the perfect breeding ground for young kickers. 

We could bring in a young stud kicker who gains confidence throughout the off-season process, and he could upset Vinny. It is very possible. And there are some good young kickers in this draft too. Probably only a couple will get drafted. As usual, most of them will go undrafted. I think a young kicker with some talent will see an opportunity here to beat out a 45-year old kicker. Therefore, we will get the cream of the crop here competing against Vinny. I think it is about a 25% chance that Vinny loses too. 

Unless he has some kind of injury,  vinny will be the kicker next year 100%. They will bring in a camp leg,   but it's vinnys job

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am sure Vinny knows what he is getting himself in to. This is a young mans game. If they do not retire then they all get cut... eventually. 

And BTW, Vinny himself was also once, a UDFA. :) 

You're right he knows exactly what he's getting into he will be handed the job from a team that loves him cause he's a future HoFer he will have the job til he retires 

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

This was news hours ago.

The Colts normally do bring in a kicker during camp. But there is no competition, It's Adam's job.

6 hours ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Vinny was a patriot and the deal isn't signed.. fool me once same on you, fool me twice... not going to happen. 

6 hours ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

*shame

:scorebad:

You realize that AV has been a Colt for 13 years vs 9 years with the Patriots right?  one of the RARE former Patriots to go anywhere and actually perform at the same level or higher.  AV also has morals and ethics, something obviously McDaniels lacks.  AV has also chosen to resign with the Colts now at least 3 times. So yeah, highly doubt he pulls a McDuffy.

Believe it or not the main reason why I think the 2006 Team was better than 2005 is because of Vinatieri. He is a big reason why we won at Baltimore in 2006 in the Playoffs. He was the leader of the SPTeams as well. VanderStink just reeked of being a cancer in 2005 and then he missed a 45 yard FG by a mile vs Pitt indoors to end our season.

16 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I'm sure Adam is now playing with people who weren't born yet when he was playing in the superbowl

Vinny's first Super Bowl was in 2002.  For comparison, in 2002...

...Andrew Luck was 13

...Malik Hooker was 5 years old

...Eli Manning was playing for Ole Miss

...Kurt Warner was MVP

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Believe it or not the main reason why I think the 2006 Team was better than 2005 is because of Vinatieri. He is a big reason why we won at Baltimore in 2006 in the Playoffs. He was the leader of the SPTeams as well. VanderStink just reeked of being a cancer in 2005 and then he missed a 45 yard FG by a mile vs Pitt indoors to end our season.

As i was reading comments I thought of the same game u did Vs Baltimore. He kicked us into the AFCCG with 5 FGs, i believe,  after Dominic Rhodes was able to run the ball.