Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If Jimmy brings Chuck Back in 18?

JColts72

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pagano has more than earned being fired at this point. Some improvement on defense is not enough to save his job. The number of in-game coaching blunders and blown leads in just this year alone are enough for him to be shown the door in light of the last few years of the team fizzling. Sure, bad drafting and Luck's injury status have made things more difficult, but the aforementioned things are independent of that. Those are directly attributable to the HC and shouldn't happen.

IMO, only way Pagano is back is if he somehow gets the Colts into the playoffs this year, which is looking less and less likely. If not, I think Colts have to make a change at this juncture.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who is to say that Chuck isn't the head coach that Ballard wants?  Just assuming Ballard wants to bring in someone else is not cut in stone. Whenever Jimmy was ask all he said is that Chuck would not be fired over the Colts record.

I agree we cannot know what Ballards intentions are, but I would think its safer to assume he would want his own man in there, even just based on human nature, in that he would want to control everything he can in his power that can make the team better, including a coaching staff he believes will bring better out of the players.  He has said numerous times "you are what your record says you are and we are not good enough" or words to those effect.  If he is doing his best to address the player quality then I think the next logical step is the coaching staff.

This is all just conjecture in the end and so our opinions and assumptions mean very little until Black Monday to see what shakes out.

My opinion is a coaching change has to take place.  For the sanity of the fanbase if nothing else!

My issue is that Pagano makes things too easy for opponents. At the end of the half vs Pitt, we have ball with 30+ seconds and Timeouts. Instead of trying, we take a knee. Pitt was hoping we take a knee, so why give our opponent what they want? Supposed to make opponent uncomfortable. Also, the 3rd and goal play, where we didn't blitz, is another example. Instead of making Ben uncomfortable, we sit back and let him find the open WR. Just lazy coaching

3 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

My issue is that Pagano makes things too easy for opponents. At the end of the half vs Pitt, we have ball with 30+ seconds and Timeouts. Instead of trying, we take a knee. Pitt was hoping we take a knee, so why give our opponent what they want? Supposed to make opponent uncomfortable. Also, the 3rd and goal play, where we didn't blitz, is another example. Instead of making Ben uncomfortable, we sit back and let him find the open WR. Just lazy coaching

Did you really watch how we executed against all those blitzes?  More likely we would have turned the football over in those 30 seconds.  You're just nitpicking for no reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if they finish the season strongly honestly. We have the Titans and Jags, tough games, but then we have the imploding Bills and Broncos. Then we have the Ravens and the Texans.

If we play those last four games like we did the Steelers they could very well end the season on a winning streak. Which at this point, considering the roller coaster it's been for the past few years, I kind of expect it.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

He hired a new GM who has done worse (record) than Grigson. 

There are a lot of variables at play, but unless we win 5 of the last 6 then the statement will be true.

No pitchfork reply’s needed from anyone. I am not defending Grigson, and was glad he was let go. Truth is, according to our record, we are going backwards. Hopefully that somehow allows us to go forward. We can all be as optimistic as we want to be, but it still has to play out like we all want it to. 

Blue it is sad to observe, but you are Lost in Space.     :headspin:        Wait till next year.

28 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

To be fair, a lot of Jim's public image has BECOME degrading, with some stupid actions thrown in over the years.....  I still like the guy and think he's a great owner, but any shade thrown his way from the public?  He kinda earned it.....

He's a mortal man with flaws like you and me. ...He's been, like you said "great" for the Colts. He has earned the respect of Colt fans.....Nobody loves the Colts more than Jim Irsay. Nobody. 

Why are people assuming the Colts (with Luck, Swoope, Geathers, a good draft, FAs and added experience) be the same under the current coaching staff as this year ? 

Where would Philly be without Carson Wentz? Green Bay without Rogers, Seattle without Wilson ? Look at Texas...

Players make a difference. Coaches make mistakes - ALL of them, at one time or another.

Should Ballard (and Irsay) choose to retain Chuck, I’m trusting it will be for good reasons. 

Anybody that has been watching should be able to see this team is giving effort, even with a lack of talent as key starters are out.

Maybe the majority is right and Chuck and his staff will be shown the door. It would mean adapting to a new system and that could take time. I’m okay with whatever is decided because I trust it won’t be a decision based on emotion but on careful consideration of the circumstances and how these final six games play out.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not to be argumentative but I highly doubt anyone cares but you if you go off.

We could all die tomorrow at random and very few would care, but that doesn't mean he can't vent his emotions in this thread. That's what this particular thread is for. The majority know that bringing back Pagano is the worst case scenario.

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I would actually say it would be a total shock.  I don't think it can happen as Jim seems all in on Ballard and you are holding back what Ballard is trying to do for the team with the coaching staff that are there.

Letting Ballard bring in his own guy and moving forward in that dynamic is the only way IMO.

He could have let Ballard brought in his own guy this year

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Why are people assuming the Colts (with Luck, Swoope, Geathers, a good draft, FAs and added experience) be the same under the current coaching staff as this year ? 

Where would Philly be without Carson Wentz? Green Bay without Rogers, Seattle without Wilson ? Look at Texas...

Players make a difference. Coaches make mistakes - ALL of them, at one time or another.

Should Ballard (and Irsay) choose to retain Chuck, I’m trusting it will be for good reasons. 

Anybody that has been watching should be able to see this team is giving effort, even with a lack of talent as key starters are out.

Maybe the majority is right and Chuck and his staff will be shown the door. It would mean adapting to a new system and that could take time. I’m okay with whatever is decided because I trust it won’t be a decision based on emotion but on careful consideration of the circumstances and how these final six games play out.

I am not so sure on the effort part of every single game played. The effort to tackle better is just not there and the same goes for horror of an o-line.

1 hour ago, sfergson727 said:

If he does, then I am done with the Colts until he no longer darkens our skies.  Yes I am a fan, but you have to understand....Chuck is eating my brain.  He is the inspector Clouseau to my Chief Drefus.  The Gilligan to my skipper....The Bob Wiley to my Dr. Leo Marvin....

The Curley to Moe

1 hour ago, egg said:

When did it become fashionable to call Jim Irsay "Jimmy"?.......sounds degrading and stupid.

Anyway, I want a new offense with a new play caller more than I want Pagano gone. But I don't see how that can happen............ 

1 hour ago, egg said:

When did it become fashionable to call Jim Irsay "Jimmy"?.......sounds degrading and stupid.

Anyway, I want a new offense with a new play caller more than I want Pagano gone. But I don't see how that can happen............ 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If some of these people only would've watched during the Kush and Dowhower days with mighty Mike Pagel at QB :lol:

Don't forget Art days as QB and Jeff George

3 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

The bolded is scary. If your boss gave you a paycut for whatever reason, would you be okay with it? You need to make a decision based on what you think is right, not depend on others to make decisions for you. I understand we have no say in the final decision, but you are allowed to make a decision and don't have to be a company fan. If it's something you like, like it because you genuinely like it, not because you feel forced as a fan out of loyalty. If you disagree with something, that's fine too. You aren't going to get a whipping from Irsay because you disagree with a decision of his. Great men question things, they are the ones that are most successful. Those are the minority that end up with the jobs in the first place that you agree with all the time. You are allowed to question decisions. Everyone is human.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Oh boy, the PC police is out abort being offensive to a person name?! Give me a break. Have  a fit too if Chuck being called Chuckie or Chopawood too? probably. I could have said Jimmy Tweets instead.

In the Forum there is a thread that asks how many games we would’ve won had Luck played this season. And most fans responded 6 or 7 games.

Luck alone would erase the many late collapses that we attribute to Pagano as a coach.

Perhaps if Luck played, and we continue to see a better defense - as we have for the most part, we would think that Pagano has finally gotten some players on defense that he was sorely lacking under Grigson.

7 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

In the Forum there is a thread that asks how many games we would’ve won had Luck played this season. And most fans responded 6 or 7 games.

Luck alone would erase the many late collapses that we attribute to Pagano as a coach.

Perhaps if Luck played, and we continue to see a better defense - as we have for the most part, we would think that Pagano has finally gotten some players on defense that he was sorely lacking under Grigson.

I don't think that's such a good thing though. A lot of people have been saying Luck has helped cover up for mediocre/poor coaching for a long time.

28 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I agree we cannot know what Ballards intentions are, but I would think its safer to assume he would want his own man in there, even just based on human nature, in that he would want to control everything he can in his power that can make the team better, including a coaching staff he believes will bring better out of the players.  He has said numerous times "you are what your record says you are and we are not good enough" or words to those effect.  If he is doing his best to address the player quality then I think the next logical step is the coaching staff.

This is all just conjecture in the end and so our opinions and assumptions mean very little until Black Monday to see what shakes out.

My opinion is a coaching change has to take place.  For the sanity of the fanbase if nothing else!

Is there any doubt our GM is closely watching all the potential next Head Coaches, and co-ordinators?
 The Toub guy from KC could be a Chuck type leader and bring his excellence is special teams. A fresh face at the Top is often good. He has to have his sights on who he likes as Off & Def co-ordinators.
 Just for fun.
  I do believe Ballard will add two good guards, a blocking TE, a good big wide out and a RB.
 Also a pass rushing DTackle, a speedy ILB, and another CB.
  A lot of pieces, but give him two off seasons to Build it.
  Say we replace our O-Line coach.
   With all these pieces, does Ballard believe our current head coach and his co-ordinators could deliver?

We have Ryan Kelly with a couple ham sandwiches beside him, and Frank did pound the middle for a number of good runs. I get a kick out of that. Just dreamin', if we added this stud Quentin Nelson, 6'5 329 and another guard that could get some push, i'm thinkin', woweee. When you can pound a D between the tackles it opens up EVERYTHING.    Go Colts!  

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

He took his sweet time with what?  Pagano was not fired, so there was no one to look for as a replacement.

He took his sweet time deciding what to do about his coaching and GM situation. By the time he chose to fire Ryan Grigson, he was left with a situation where he couldn't fire Pagano as well as there were no better replacement options out there. I thought this was common knowledge?

58 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they finish the season strongly honestly. We have the Titans and Jags, tough games, but then we have the imploding Bills and Broncos. Then we have the Ravens and the Texans.

If we play those last four games like we did the Steelers they could very well end the season on a winning streak. Which at this point, considering the roller coaster it's been for the past few years, I kind of expect it.

In one of the early Ballard interviews right after he got the job, didn't he allude to the fact that he expected his new signings (draft class and FA) to really gel in the second half of the season? I think you're right, the Colts will be a tough challenge the rest of the way. It may not translate to W's because of coaching and quite frankly Brissett isn't the closer Luck is (few QBs are) but the Colts will hang in every game.

*It's another reason it wouldn't surprise me if Pagano gets another year in charge. (I don't think he should but if he gets the team playing very well, you can never tell).

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who is to say that Chuck isn't the head coach that Ballard wants?  Just assuming Ballard wants to bring in someone else is not cut in stone. Whenever Jimmy was ask all he said is that Chuck would not be fired over the Colts record.

delusional smh

50 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We could all die tomorrow at random and very few would care, but that doesn't mean he can't vent his emotions in this thread. That's what this particular thread is for. The majority know that bringing back Pagano is the worst case scenario.

That is your opinion. That is all that it is. Being a long time Colt fan you calling this a worst case scenario is far from the truth. Bringing in a new coach with a whole new system is not a guarantee things will get better.

7 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

delusional smh

Really? Most thought Chuck would be fired at the end of last season and it didn't happen. You are the one who is delusional if you think you know Irsay well enough to know what he is going to do. If Irsay feels a lot of the Colts problem were out of Chucks hands then who knows? If Ballard and Irsay feel this team has made progress they may keep Pagano. That choice will be theirs and not what any one of us have to say in this forum.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is your opinion. That is all that it is. Being a long time Colt fan you calling this a worst case scenario is far from the truth. Bringing in a new coach with a whole new system is not a guarantee things will get better.

Well, not bringing in a new coach with a whole system is a guarantee things will not get better. Keep being happy with those pointless 11-5 seasons though. In your world, just getting to the playoffs and losing is good enough, and it's gotten so bad that you are defending 8-8 records and now a 3-7 record. Aren't you going to brag about Pagano never having a losing season? Oh wait, you can't lol! Don't worry, once Pagano is gone at the end of the year, you'll be telling everyone why he's bad just like you do with Grigson since you'll no longer be obligated to defend him. The Colts loyalty will be gone. You just defend him because he's a Colt and you try to make light of every situation. Well, there's no light at the end of this tunnel for Pagano. Just a high draft pick and a new beginning for us, and you'll have to deal with that from the majority of posters while you're on here, and this is a very soft website compared to most others.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, not bringing in a new coach with a whole system is a guarantee things will not get better. Keep being happy with those pointless 11-5 seasons though. In your world, just getting to the playoffs and losing is good enough, and it's gotten so bad that you are defending 8-8 records and now a 3-7 record. Aren't you going to brag about Pagano never having a losing season? Oh wait, you can't lol! Don't worry, once Pagano is gone at the end of the year, you'll be telling everyone why he's bad just like you do with Grigson since you'll no longer be obligated to defend him. The Colts loyalty will be gone. You just defend him because he's a Colt and you try to make light of every situation. Well, there's no light at the end of this tunnel for Pagano. Just a high draft pick and a new beginning for us, and you'll have to deal with that from the majority of posters while you're on here, and this is a very soft website compared to most others.

Now you are being argumentative on issues that are not what this tread is about. No where have I defended Pagano in this tread. We all pretty much already know how everyone thinks but you continue to bash me because I have a different opinion that you. Just stop.

30 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

He took his sweet time deciding what to do about his coaching and GM situation. By the time he chose to fire Ryan Grigson, he was left with a situation where he couldn't fire Pagano as well as there were no better replacement options out there. I thought this was common knowledge?

Show me a link to any of this "common knowledge" you are referring to.  He fired Grigson and found a suitable replacement, but he never said he was going to fire Pagano.  The speculation about Gruden was never confirmed and that was the only guy he supposedly was going after, so your "timetable" means nothing there either.

Looks like the common knowledge is only to you in this situation.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Show me a link to any of this "common knowledge" you are referring to.  He fired Grigson and found a suitable replacement, but he never said he was going to fire Pagano.  The speculation about Gruden was never confirmed and that was the only guy he supposedly was going after, so your "timetable" means nothing there either.

Looks like the common knowledge is only to you in this situation.

Exactly.  Media rumors and rumors started in this forum are exactly that. None of us knows what goes on behind the closed doors on 56th street.