Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would your reaction be if the Colts went OL with their 1st Rd pick

For the sake of discussion, I've been seeing some mocks where the Colts got either Cam Robinson or Ryan from Wisconsin.

I personally don't think they need a RT with the potential of Clark etc.

But I was wondering what the reaction would be if the Colts did go this route, especially with what Ballard saying that if everything was equal he'd go with the trenches.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume, that they know something we don't. Which I don't believe is that much of a stretch. I will give them the benefit of the doubt,until proven wrong.Just because the last GM,was a train wreck, I wont jump all over Ballard, at the first sign of doing something I don't personally agree with.

33 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

For the sake of discussion, I've been seeing some mocks where the Colts got either Cam Robinson or Ryan from Wisconsin.

I personally don't think they need a RT with the potential of Clark etc.

But I was wondering what the reaction would be if the Colts did go this route, especially with what Ballard saying that if everything was equal he'd go with the trenches.

It would tell me that Philbin has told Ballard that Clark is not going to work out and to go ahead and draft another OT.

That's why I don't think that will happen.    I don't expect Philbin will be ready to give-up on Clark after such a short try-out.     Especially since Clark did well.      It would not add up for me.

I would think. Gee, Andrew Luck, the franchise, missed nine games in 2015, and his RIGHT arm is still in a sling this offseason after having surgery. 

I would think, "if I'm the GM and I broke Andrew Luck, I should never get another job in the NFL again."

Protect your king. Basic chess

32 minutes ago, Samu-Rye said:

I would assume, that they know something we don't. Which I don't believe is that much of a stretch. I will give them the benefit of the doubt,until proven wrong.Just because the last GM,was a train wreck, I wont jump all over Ballard, at the first sign of doing something I don't personally agree with.

True. But given the fact that this is a weak OL class and OTs will be over drafted, and given that we have invested in young bodies that it might be too early to give up on, it would be a case of them knowing something we don't, definitely. 

I want a pass rusher bad but if a true road grader is there would be fine with it we need to be able to run the football for a number of reason . Control the clock grind out close wins keep the D off the field and Luck is deadly in play action .

Stick to your board. I'm okay with an OL in the first. It's not what I hope happens, but I would understand it. I've been looking at mocks and big boards over the last few days, and I'm not really excited about the defensive guys who will be there at 14/15 -- Barnett, McKinley, some corners, McDowell, Cunningham, etc., not really feeling the value in the first, and I think some of the guys who will be there in the mid 40s are close to those guys. 

It would be my preference to trade down if the board said OL was the best pick in the first. Maximize value.

At this point, if Reuben Foster or Jamal Adams doesn't drop to us, I'm not really thrilled with the defensive prospects at 14/15.

I'd be ecstatic. Especially if it's a guard like Bolles or Lamp. I'd feel good about Lucks health going forward. Plus it would give them the freedom to draft a real franchise back with a fully assembled O-Line. Good/Haeg should compete for the RT/RG spots with a rookie.

Just now, Superman said:

Stick to your board. I'm okay with an OL in the first. It's not what I hope happens, but I would understand it. I've been looking at mocks and big boards over the last few days, and I'm not really excited about the defensive guys who will be there at 14/15 -- Barnett, McKinley, some corners, McDowell, Cunningham, etc., not really feeling the value in the first, and I think some of the guys who will be there in the mid 40s are close to those guys. 

It would be my preference to trade down if the board said OL was the best pick in the first. Maximize value.

At this point, if Reuben Foster or Jamal Adams doesn't drop to us, I'm not really thrilled with the defensive prospects at 14/15.

I've been saying this for awhile. Everyone keeps saying go defense no matter what, but I don't see the value there if the guys you mentioned aren't there. McKinley, Harris, McDowell, Jones, Wilson, Tabor,etc.. don't scream "Can't miss" to me. If it's not Thomas, Adams, Foster, or Fournette dropping to us, I'd look at O-Line.

If you invest $$$$$ for your franchise QB, shouldn't you protect your investment and or give him weapons?  That said yes I agree we are very much in need of help on D but will one draft fix everything?  I'm not including FA's as this is a draft post.  Just using the draft we need 2/3 maybe 4 drafts to fill our holes and there's holes in the O.  Not as many as the D but there are also holes in the O to be filled!  You can start with the D but in a few drafts you would need to fix the O or vice versa. You could do a little here and a little there but there's many ways to attack the problem!  All in all just give me a draftee that will make an impact! I don't care if he's an WR, QB, OL just give me an impact player!  I want someone on the field not someone in the hot tub!

I certainly wouldn't complain. I think a FA guard would go a long way in shoring up our right side, but RT is still a bit questionable, so if we picked up a tackle I guess I wouldn't cry, but I just don't see it happening without trading down, the value just doesn't seem right at 14, but hey, I don't know what Ballard an Co.'s board looks like.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

What about Hooker? Are you not a fan?

Just now, stitches said:

What about Hooker? Are you not a fan?

I haven't watched him yet, but based on the little I've seen, I don't think there's any chance he falls. I doubt Foster or Adams fall, either, but I think they're more likely to make it to the Colts than Hooker. 

Same for Garrett, Adams, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I haven't watched him yet, but based on the little I've seen, I don't think there's any chance he falls. I doubt Foster or Adams fall, either, but I think they're more likely to make it to the Colts than Hooker. 

Same for Garrett, Adams, etc. 

We should be hoping for a couple of QBs and both RBs to get drafted before us. It's going to push some of the great defensive players towards us. Hooker will have a surgery after the combine, so he might fall because of it. Same with Reuben Foster. My dream players that there is a chance in hell fall for us are in no particular order - Foster, Adams, Hooker, Solomon Thomas, Johnathan Allen(he is being pushed down draft boards lately, I don't know why. I've seen him in the 8-11 range several times in the last week). I will add Tim Williams, only if he's cleared by our investigators for his drug issues.

As per the thread title i would say we traded back and took Lamp.  reaction- Dumbfounded!
As per your post i would say we traded back a little and drafted with the intent to upgrade at LT. Happy!
 We will be fine at RT at some point with either of Clark or Haeg.

1 hour ago, 100GFB said:

If you invest $$$$$ for your franchise QB, shouldn't you protect your investment and or give him weapons?  That said yes I agree we are very much in need of help on D but will one draft fix everything?  I'm not including FA's as this is a draft post.

How many weapons can Andrew Luck have at his disposal before everyone here finally agrees that he has enough?

I would be disappointed only because I don't see good value at 14/15 for OL. A trade back then going OL would be fine. 

I expect to see us take an OL at some point day 2 or early day 3. I think we bring one in during FA as well. Anyone who thinks the OL is ok isn't paying attention.  

Mewhort knee is an unknown. The right side is a huge question mark. We started Blythe in a regular season game last yr at RG. That should give a clear picture of the state of our OL. 

Those who think the answer to our OL problems is Cook just don't know what they are looking at. The comparison to Zeke and the Cowboys is delusional. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

We should be hoping for a couple of QBs and both RBs to get drafted before us. It's going to push some of the great defensive players towards us. Hooker will have a surgery after the combine, so he might fall because of it. Same with Reuben Foster.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, but all the right QB/RB needy teams are in front of us.  I mean, I wouldn't expect them to take need over player, so I'm not really gonna hold my breath.  But you never know...even if a handful of them get drafted before we get there and there's a guy within trade range.