Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Reason You Hate the Patriots is Because they Win.

ViriLudant

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The Patriots are not a dynasty.  They haven't won a Super Bowl in 10 years

2. Brady has a whiny baby attitude.

a) He looks at the refs every opportunity he has to get a flag whereas guys like Luck just let the refs do their job and he worries about his own job

b) He says the stories about Deflate-gate hurt his feelings....poor guy :drama:

3. Actually, people do care when other teams cheat.  Please note how people, including myself, call the Seahawks a bunch of cheaters because of Pete Carroll's history of cheating and the team's extensive PED suspension list.  Also, remember how the Jets had that little incident with their special teams coach tripping the Dolphins player?  Also, remember how mad people were at Mike Tomlin for standing in the way of Jacoby Jones during that now infamous return?  Heck, even the author cites those two incidents.

I could go on with flaws in the piece, but it would be a long list.  People hate the Pats for a variety of reasons.  The Colts have also been highly successful in the last decade (with more Super Bowl wins than the Pats in that time), but they don't get nearly as much hate.  Same with the Packers and the Steelers. The author is not only taking the hate personally, but also comes across as whiny and childish while making illogical arguments.  He takes an us-against-the-world mentality; people simply don't like cheaters.  People didn't like it when Tomlin did it, when Alosi did it, when anyone does it.  What a poorly written piece.

The reason we hate the Patriots is you guys are allowed to cheat...other teams are not.

My team loses their coach, general manager, and defensive players for the bountygate thing. Your players can openly say they want to break arms in the SB, and no fines or nothing. Spygate was much much worse and that team didn't lose their coach for a year.

And you guys are the only ones of all NFL fans that deny deny deny and deny more that your team cheats and gets special treatment and is allowed to get away with it. However, I do enjoy how when Brady has a really bad game like he did vs the Chiefs earlier this year, everyone wants him gone...then they forget about it in a few weeks and it's back to "Best QB ever" talk. 

Other than that, you guys are still great. This forum wouldn't be fun without Pats fans here, which I do love reading posts from. Even though I hate the team, you guys bring great conversation. 

Not really true.

They don't always win and I think people disliked them just as much if not more when they lost the last two Super Bowls they appeared in.

I think it's the arrogance and reputation for cheating that has turned most of the country against them.

I can only conclude that the people who live north or east of Connecticut have delusional ideas that other teams and fans want what they have. I guess being stuck way up in an isolated eddy of the US gives them a certain extremist and paranoid view of the rest of the world.

Most normal people simply don't like teams that try to find ways to get past the rules, constantly and as a way of life.

Nah.... I couldn't care less about the Patriots. Patriots and their fans are so full of themselves that they think it's all about them.  Don't flatter yourselves ;-)

I do despise arrogance and there are several teams that have more than their allotted amount of it and you guys are at or near the top of the list.  One reason I am very uninterested in this coming Superbowl is the two teams that are playing are in that category.   

No the reason I hate  the patriots is because they are cheaters  and it looks like they will cheat at the drop of a hat to win instead of playing the game by the rules , They continue to bend and manipulate the rules to there advantage whenever they have a chance. What  really burns me is they do it knowing that they might get caught but the risk is worth the reward(superbowl) 

The reason we hate your team is because, you, like 75% of the fan base, will be rooting for another team once Jimmy Garoppolo is taking the snaps in two years.

I dunno about that.  Jimmy G has talent and he's able to sit and learn from one of the best.  Plus, it's not a Rodgers/Favre situation where there's animosity between them.  Jimmy knows he's the backup and Brady is the starter; his job right now is to learn as much as he can from Brady.  If they handle it properly, Jimmy could develop into a very good QB

This breaks down every argument perfectly. Nothing else to say, really.

http://ryan-sawtelle.squarespace.com/web-log/2015/1/23/the-reason-you-hate-the-patriots-is-because-they-wi

Not to start a religious debate, but if there are truly 7 deadly sins how is a single Patriots fan alive? You guys commit at least five of those in a 30 second conversation multiple times a day. If my head was that far up my own butt I wouldn't know there was a game on Sunday. I honestly believe Patriots fans don't own televisions or watch games, I think there is a store in Boston that sells 80 inch oil paintings of Brady and you guys hang those on a wall and stare at them for 3 hours on Sundays. Stop with the vanity kid.

I dunno about that.  Jimmy G has talent and he's able to sit and learn from one of the best.  Plus, it's not a Rodgers/Favre situation where there's animosity between them.  Jimmy knows he's the backup and Brady is the starter; his job right now is to learn as much as he can from Brady.  If they handle it properly, Jimmy could develop into a very good QB

We can all hope for the opposite though.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 30, 2015 - talking about moderation
Hidden by Nadine, January 30, 2015 - talking about moderation

Gotta admire someone who knows he's disliked....   knows his team is disliked....   but shows up here anyway day after day to fart his way around this website and then tell everyone who doesn't like it....  "too bad.   deal with it."

Be happy the moderators here are more tolerant than most here would like them to be.

Otherwise,  you'd be on the outside looking in....   knocking on the Internet door trying to tell us how great your are and how us not liking you is because you win,  not because you cheat.

Right.   Sure it is.........     whatever you say....

No. I hate them because they Cheat and have No Class!

And they don't always win,they haven't won a SB in 10 years, despite their cheating.

Our Colts have made the playoffs 14 out of the last 16 years and are the winningest team in a decade.

And with Luck we are almost assured of winning for the next Dozen years,without cheating.

All of that is true but how long do you really think Bellichick is going to stick around after Brady is gone? Garrapolo might end up being alright but I don't know how much I'd be willing to bet on it at this point.

I agree with a couple earlier posters as to why I hate the Patriots ... It's not the winning, it's the obnoxious arrogance of a large percentage of their fans!  Every team has some obnoxious fans, but it seems the Pats have far more than the average.  

I cannot count the number of posts on football boards, and comments after stories about the the football inflation issue where many Pats fans attitude is "who cares if we cheated we would have been in the SB anyway" ... just like "so we cheated a little...big deal, we are good enough it doesn't matter, if the rest of the NFL can't see that well than they are just "haters""

I don't expect Pats fans to suddenly stop being fans, but stop with this obnoxious arrogant bravado, and the constant excuse making; throwing any excuse they can think of against the wall just muddying the waters and seeing what will stick.

Lel. I didn't even hate them until this year, and still don't really. 

But being an engineering student I can state for a fact that there was no way weather had the reported factor on the balls, so I know for a fact that someone was responsible for it.

Also I think Gronkowski is a tool because of his personality. 

Tom Brady complains to the refs all the time. 

The team has been caught cheating. 

I think that pretty much covers it.

Oh, and don't give me any nonsense that says I have some preconceived bias because of some Colts affiliation. I am the most diehard football fan in my family by far, and I didn't really get into it until like 2010. So I have no personal history of the Patriots rivalry and therefore have never hated them. But I root for cheaters and tools to lose. Which is why I probably won't watch the Superbowl this year. 

Edit: Reading the other responses also made me remember that in general NE fans are pretty trash. Not the posters on here, they are generally pretty nice and level headed (until the latest escapade, at least), but everywhere on the internet if you go onto any article about the scandle or anything talking about the Colts or something there are always trashtalking NE fans that are arrogant and act as if they are superior to others. And I hate anybody who operates that way.

I didn't even hate the Patriots. I'm starting to. Their fans can be absolutely insufferable, on the level of Lakers fans, which is ironic because Boston area fans typically hate Lakers fans for the same reasons I do, yet they are turning into them.

I didn't hate Tom Brady, but his "sour grapes" comment and transparently dishonest presser had a severely negative impact on my opinion of him.

I didn't hate Bill Belichick, and have even defended him against the zealotry of Spygate theorists. He's a brilliant coach and strategist, yet, my opinion of him has taken a hit.

All of this has nothing to do with the Patriots "winning." In fact, it's been ten years since they actually won a Super Bowl. I don't hate winners. I was mostly glad for the Patriots in 2001, and their fans. They knocked off the Colts in 2003 and 2004, so I wasn't quite as supportive then, but did I hate them? No.

I don't even hate the smugness of guys like Bruschi and Harrison and the other former Patriots. I just stroll right past it, because it doesn't matter.

But this thread here illustrates why the Patriots and their fans have engendered so much ill will, especially among fans of would-be rivals. The arrogance, the absolute gall that it takes to post this drivel here. On the home forum of a team whose fans have graciously and endlessly hosted Patriots fans for years. A site where the moderators spend about as much time sticking up for Pats fans as we do moderating issues between Colts fans. How ungrateful! How absolutely oblivious and out of bounds this is...

You and your article have ruined Patriots fans for me, officially. Congratulations.

The reason we hate your team is because, you, like 75% of the fan base, will be rooting for another team once Jimmy Garoppolo is taking the snaps in two years.

And Bill Belichick will probably retire once Brady does. I don't see him wasting his time coaching up a young upstart. Brady gets Belichick motivated just as much as Belichick motivates Brady. Belichick says he always has to be ready when reviewing film with Brady, because Brady studies so much and Belichick doesn't want to be caught off-guard. I doubt Garoppolo would do the same, at least not yet.

Here are my impressions of the article:

--The author starts off with a Dallas Cowboys reference & their early SB titles in the early 90's & why he disliked them so much. Because they won so frequently. Now, there is something to that argument I'll admit because I detest that franchise with every fiber in my body & when they won 3 Lombardi trophies I was miserable. I won't deny they dominated in SBs; I just hated the darn smugness of Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones, & Barry Switzer. To this day, I can't watch Jimmy, Jerry, Emmitt, Deon, or Michael yell "How bout them Cowboys!" without making my blood boil. I was okay with QB Troy Aikman & FB Daryl Johnston who consistently exhibited humility something they [the organization] were rarely known for in the 1990's. 

--Regarding Spygate 2 questions: 1. If they did nothing wrong why were they fined & lose a draft pick? & 2. If NE fans want us to move on from this, why do they keep mentioning it? I just can't grasp why such a bright HC needs to play fast & loose with the rules because NE came close to beating the NY Giants in both SBs after SpyGate broke. 

--I did go through a brief phase where I wasn't very found of the Patriots that much. I grew tired of my Colts losing to them so often in the Playoffs, but then I realized that NE was talented at HC & QB & INDY needed to get better on defense & the running game to help both Peyton & now Andrew out more. The more things change the more they stay the same or at least come full circle twice anyway.

--This is really starting to infuriate me. Stop trying to bring up separate team incidents to deflect blame on someone else. What does Broncos o-line Vaseline have to do with deflated footballs? Nothing. Yehoodi has admitted that if the balls were intentionally deflated in this investigations overall findings, NE should be fined. Bravo Yehoodi! That stance I can respect as an NFL fan. Thank you. What makes me mad is when fans go out of their way to absolve themselves of alleged wrongdoing or they deny even the existence of compelling evidence. I agree wait for due process to run it's course, but if an infraction of a rule was violated, just accept the punishment fairly & not run from it. And let's refrain from acting as if being investigated is a pitch fork & torches witch hunt okay. R-E-L-A-X.  

--Jealousy of NE's success is part of the backlash this team receives. I accept that, but just remember no team stays on the mountain top forever & humility goes a long way toward giving a team the benefit of the doubt when they experience lean years once Brady & Belichick depart Foxboro for good. 

--It's fine to have love for the Patriots. Just remember to not rub peoples noses in your success or at least don't be surprised when another team kicks your caboose once in awhile evoking no sympathy from 31 other organizations. Just like celebrities & falling stars, eventually we all go supernova, explode, & die. Greatness does not last forever in life or sports. 

I didn't even hate the Patriots. I'm starting to. Their fans can be absolutely insufferable, on the level of Lakers fans, which is ironic because Boston area fans typically hate Lakers fans for the same reasons I do, yet they are turning into them.

I'm a huge Boston sports fan; I love the Celtics and enjoy watching the Bruins and Red Sox but I agree that the Patriots and their fans are intolerable. They come across super pretentious and the players appear arrogant.

No one is upset that the Patriots win. People hate how they think they're amazing and the fans feel entitled. The biggest problem is the fans think they're owed something and fail to realize that their franchise was entirely worthless for the majority of the time they've existed. I would go so far as to say that most Patriot fans can't name any players from before their 2001 Super Bowl win. In five years when Brady has retired and Belichick has left, most of these fans will go support some other team (probably the Seahawks since they're cheaters with an overrated quarterback, like the Patriots now). 

Here is an article written by Skip Bayless. Yes, that Skip Bayless touching upon Brady making Belichick look wiser than he may be, SpyGate, & now Deflate Gate...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12233333/belichick-ways-need-brady-balance

I do wonder what Bill's #1 asset to NE is GM/talent scout? Because even though he knows defense under the Bill Parcells regime, I always wonder who installs the defense schemes every week. Bill or Matt Patricia? I do see Bill coaching up the defense on the sidelines in SBs a lot. I will admit that.

"Belichick has gotten away with being such a bad guy in press conferences -- such an embarrassment for owner Bob Kraft's organization -- in part because Brady has always been such a good guy with the media. As poorly as Brady came across in his Deflategate press conference, at least he didn't open with a lengthy statement, as Belichick did, and then dodge questions. Brady immediately opened it up to questions -- nothing off limits -- and allowed reporters to grill him for about 35 minutes." 

This is an interesting paragraph by Skip because if Brady was shy & not very good in the playoffs like say Andy Dalton the grey hoodie would never be given a pass for his reclusive, standoffish demeanor to the media, but I view Bill's media distance to how reporters & especially fans went after him in Cleveland as his 1st HC gig differently. Owner Art Modell moving the team to Baltimore didn't help. So, that was a difficult situation to put it mildly. I get it all HOF football coaches have elite QBs, but Bill is very lucky that Tom can adapt so well with new WRs, TEs, RBs, & linemen in his career & still perform at an exceptionally high level. A lot of QBs cannot make adjustments to new teammates so frequently & fluently.

The other thing Tom never gets enough credit for is that Bill uses Tommy as a guy he can slam all the time in breaking down game film. If every other guy on the roster sees Brady take criticism from Belichick, they are more inclined to shut up, fall in line, & do exactly what Bill says. Most QBs, most elite QBs, expect special treatment by the head coach & staff. They don't take criticism well a decade later with 3 SBs on their hand & possibly an upcoming 4th one at this late stage in their NFL career.

So does the coach make the QB or vice versa? It's an interesting argument either way.  

I can see why some fans really dislike elevating Brady to the level of an NFL messiah, but to be fair, INDY had it's own brand of hero worship for Manning & now Luck so it happens in other franchises as well. I just don't like cryptic answers from coaches or GMs that tell you nothing. A robot can repeat something; it doesn't necessarily make it revolutionary in scope. 

I honestly believe Patriots fans don't own televisions or watch games, I think there is a store in Boston that sells 80 inch oil paintings of Brady and you guys hang those on a wall and stare at them for 3 hours on Sundays. Stop with the vanity kid.

That line made me almost ROTF with laughter Corgi & I don't despise the Patriots, but I love the vibrant imagery of that sentence.  haha The canvass is labeled "Tommy Time...I'll leave you 2 alone." Bow Chick A Wow Wow. Just kidding! 

Off topic: What was up with Brady's hair on Media Day? Did Tommy just wake up or did a critter make a nest on his head? I can't believe that untidy look qualifies as suave & sophisticated. I'm seen homeless people with better hair than that mess man. Yikes! Bad hair day= Wear a team hat. 

It does but not in the way I think you thought.

It's an arrogant assumptive piece written by someone who as much standing in the football world as a poster on here. This  is why we don't like the Pats, it's you, the fans. Before I tar them all with the same brush I've met plenty of Pats fans who are fine, they almost seem human. But in the words of jskinnz, dear lord, your bad fans are really bad. If they ever need an additional definition of Hubris for the dictionary some of the Pats fans would make great examples.

Inaccurate.

I don't have any respect for the Patriots regardless of record and Lombardi trophies because they do what they can to skirt the rules. The team has no class in my opinion.  I can't say that I hate the Patriots but I do disregard them.  

I will say that Tom Brady has strangely caused me to dislike Phillip Rivers less as I've seen more whining and feelings of entitlement from Brady than from Rivers. 

I have respect for other teams who frequently beat the Colts....Steelers, Chargers, and Cowboys.

If NE wins on Sunday, it will be nothing more than another tarnished Lombardi trophy.   

I think that there is an element of that behind any nemesis.  

Jealousy certainly can turn to hate. For example, I think that's why so many pat fans hate Peyton Manning.

For me, I never hated the patriots and still don't.  I don't dislike their fans because fans are just fans.

But this deflate gate thing has me bothered about the whole game.  I do think it's important.  I know you don't but to what extent is that just deflecting? 

So you get angry with us and dismiss everything said here as due to jealousy?

Certainly you can believe whatever you want but speaking for myself, it's not true.