Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pick #46/ #82 What's Available Day 2? Discussion

w87r

Really hard to figure out how this draft will fall with all the QBs taken in round 1. Were the QB needing teams desperate? Or were those kids really that good? The WRs left are good not great prospects, IMO. Looks like we're still a couple of years away from being a SB competitive team.

At this point it's not a lack of talent, it's putting the talent we have together to make the best use of it. So it would seem BPA is what is going to dictate our next pick.

• Like 1

Just now, CoachLite said:

Really hard to figure out how this draft will fall with all the QBs taken in round 1. Were the QB needing teams desperate? Or were those kids really that good? The WRs left are good not great prospects, IMO. Looks like we're still a couple of years away from being a SB competitive team.

At this point it's not a lack of talent, it's putting the talent we have together to make the best use of it. So it would seem BPA is what is going to dictate our next pick.

Mostly desperate. Denver put themselves into a bad position with the whole Wilson thing. They really had no choice but to take a QB. Atlanta is still very odd to me with taking Penix Jr... With the whole Cousins trade, you'd have thought they were going to get one of the top defensive players to make a push for the division title. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Watch Ballard pull some WR out of the hat that we weren't even thinking about

At this point just wait until next year. Go ahead and get your corner, linebacker, safety, and OL depth. Get all that out of the way. 

8 hours ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Anyone know anything about the rest of the te’s  left. Maybe we could find someone to replace MAC in the second or third

Tip Reimann.  Maybe a 4th or 5th though.  6'5 272.  Good RAS.  Blocker.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

At this point just wait until next year. Go ahead and get your corner, linebacker, safety, and OL depth. Get all that out of the way. 

I don't disagree. They like the interior line depth of this draft. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick there. 

When you look at the last two drafts, the only defensive pick was JuJu at corner last year. There was 5 offensive picks at the top of both 22 and 23 drafts. Pierce, Woods, Raismann, Richardson, Downs. Could easily be a top heavy defensive draft. 

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Mostly desperate. Denver put themselves into a bad position with the whole Wilson thing. They really had no choice but to take a QB. Atlanta is still very odd to me with taking Penix Jr... With the whole Cousins trade, you'd have thought they were going to get one of the top defensive players to make a push for the division title. 

Almost all the experts were projecting Dallas Turner to Falcons... So, it's funny Falcons took away Kirk from Vikings and gifted back Turner as well.

I think Falcons have made good moves in free agency, picking an elite defensive player might help theoretically, but trust me, nothing will help Kirk unless he does his part in big plays, big games, big downs (sort of like the saying "God helps those who helps themselves") - that's exactly why elite QB money is thrown around, not to ask for a great all-around team surrounding him. 

And Kirk keeps getting Elite money without coming close to the production (not fantasy stats production).

I think Falcons are looking tightly at the big picture, building a team for the future, looking two years ahead. We know Kirk's contract can be set aside in a couple of years, while eating tens of millions of dead cap hit and by the time they may be looking to complete the roster build. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I'd like Malachi Corley, Javon Bullard, Edgerrin Cooper, Khyree Jackson, Jaden Hicks, Troy Franklin and Cam Hart.

Corley has played almost 90% of his snaps out of the slot. I kind of doubt we go for him after the season Downs had. :dunno:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That would be a very Ballard thing to do. 

Craig Speedster from Yale who ran a 4.22 at a private workout with the Colts and has a 99 RAS but all teams crossed him off bc of a medical issue that Colts doctors advised was actually minimal. Lol!

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great pick at 1 right?

Love Latu

I actually this we may choose to trade UP in round 2, to get a coveted player

(WR or Cooper DeJean)

I LOVE the Latu pick! He's going to make a difference day 1.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

Corley has played almost 90% of his snaps out of the slot. I kind of doubt we go for him after the season Downs had. :dunno:

True, but he's a YAC monster and I'd love to see him as our returner. We do need a guy behind Downs since McKenzie walked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Would you rather have a top rated safety/linebacker or the 10th rated receiver? With how many receivers flew off the board, the value there gets pushed back until the 4th/5th. I was hoping for a good one to fall but knew better because the top 7 or 8 are really talented. I don’t know how we go into the season with what that WR group. It needs something at some point. 

we have good wrs imo we needed at least one elite top tier wr but ballard chose pass rush which we needed too

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stitches said:

He could be that gadget guy. He's a converted RB to WR. I've some comps to Deebo, but I think that's a bit much. But he's a huge YAC guy. We don't have too many of those. I'd be fine if we got him in the second round. I'd be elated if we somehow got him in the third, but I doubt he lasts that long on the board.

EDIT: He's also a good down field blocker

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stitches said:

That's actually not true. WR in R2 and R3 is actually the best value. PFF had a stat for drafts after 2015 and the drop off in R2 and R3 producing starters was the smallest at WR than in any other position. It was something like:

WR:

R1: 60%

R2 and R3: 50%

In comparison for EDGE the stats were something along the lines of:

R1:60%

R2:25% 

So ... purely analytically, the Colts did the right thing if you believe in the player you took... which I personally love Latu so no objections on my end. And usually day 2 is golden for WRs compared to other position. 

Well said. I get that everyone has their preferences but our biggest needs are less like holes and more like a need for premium upgrades. The three biggest areas we could probably use upgrades seems to be almost universally accepted as WR, CB, and edge. It’s hard enough as is to think we will find a premium upgrade for each of these with just the first 3-4 rounds. But it becomes even harder when you factor, as you said, that finding an upgrade at edge becomes much harder outside the first round. Despite this, we still tried to get a weapon. It didn’t work out. But we still seem on course to really have a chance to makes some improvements to this roster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I think he just says these things to appease the fan base at this point. Seems like every time something big is expensive expected he has some excuse. I’m not really upset about not picking the player I wanted. I think he could’ve traded down a few spots and got Latu. Was hoping for a Rd 2 Wr but that river is dry. 

One of the deepest classes of WR’s in draft history, and you think “the river is dry” ??  

I believe 7 WRs were taken last night.  Projections are for roughly another 10-12 to be taken today in R’s 2-3.   I hope you’ll be happily surprised tonight. 

• Like 1

I know opinions differ on Cooper DeJean but I’d love him in round 2. And as a CB. He is a little tight hipped and average arm length but he is a good zone corner, that will tackle and can take the ball away. Then has the return ability too which needs to be taught if with McKenzie not around anymore. I think Ballard would like him too, he is a good competitor.

14 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Wilson another one with an injury past?

Yes, but I don't care in the 2nd. He's the best cover linebacker in the class and is extremely athletic. I'm willing to take some risks if our doctors clear him.

8 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

5 best remaining WR’s according to PFF

WR ADONAI MITCHELL, TEXAS. Mitchell's fluidity and size make him a tough matchup for anyone, especially in the red zone. ... 

WR TROY FRANKLIN, OREGON. ... 

WR LADD MCCONKEY, GEORGIA. ... 

WR KEON COLEMAN, FLORIDA STATE. ... 

WR ROMAN WILSON, MICHIGAN.

Coleman is too slow

4 hours ago, DattMavis said:

Agreed on Roman. He's faster than Downs though, but doesn't get separated as often.

I wonder if AD is off the board because of character and Ladd is off because of injuries.

I'd be okay with Franklin. If Burton is cleared character wise, he's the best WR available. Might be #4 WR in this draft, but his character concerns are massive.

I loved Tez, but completely fell off after the Senior Bowl. He terrifies me now. I'm seeing Denzel Mims, and I LOVED Denzel. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Tez drop rate was in the 8 percent range and franklin  in the 7 percent range. Ad Mitchell  is below 2 percent  in drop rate but will be gone early before  we pick.

7 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

For round 2

TJ Tampa, CB

Edgerrin Cooper LB

Max Melton CB

This WR class is very talented I would wait until round 3 for WR

Cooper would be a rookie of year candidate. Hopefully  we get him. Rather  go corner round three now. We will have to roll with pierce downs, pittman  and Dulin with some depth guy later as I don't  think any upgrades  at wr will be there.

MY GUYS list still left on the board:

#21 - Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa

#31 - Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon

#34 - Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

#36 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas

#37 - Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota

#39 - Braden Fisk, DT, Florida St

#49 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

#64 - Marshawn Kneeland, DE, Western Michigan

#69 - Jeremiah Trotter Jr, LB, Clemson

#78 - Cole Bishop, S, Utah

#125 - Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I'd like Malachi Corley, Javon Bullard, Edgerrin Cooper, Khyree Jackson, Jaden Hicks, Troy Franklin and Cam Hart.

I love bullard's tape not sure if Ballard  will pick him though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Atlanta screwed the raiders as one of the qbs was supposed  to fall to them. Now they have to roll with minshew and Aiden 

58 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we have good wrs imo we needed at least one elite top tier wr but ballard chose pass rush which we needed too

Yea will have to wait til another draft to get a Jamar chase like wr

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of the deepest classes of WR’s in draft history, and you think “the river is dry” ??  

I believe 7 WRs were taken last night.  Projections are for roughly another 10-12 to be taken today in R’s 2-3.   I hope you’ll be happily surprised tonight. 

Yea but we don’t just need any receiver. Many that are left have been productive from the slot, which I think were good with downs. Not many outside guys left that don’t have huge warts. Coleman should be nicknamed Christmas due to his speed. Franklin has a problem dropping the ball. If we needed a slot, yes there’s plenty of those available. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Although the WR class is deep a lot of the WR projected for round two were picked late in the first. So not as many left.

I think most of them will be gone by our 2nd pick tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1