Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pick #46/ #82 What's Available Day 2? Discussion

w87r

I’m kinda wondering if Irsay is * at Ballard for not doing whatever it takes to trade up for MHjr!? Now, we just got to settle for a low end draft wr that is only psquad worthy!

• Like 2

Just now, tweezy32 said:

I don’t want any WR this draft. Don’t want the 7th wr left or whatever number he would be. Give Pierce his last shot this coming year and let him prove himself one last time.

We still probably  take one late for depth, but the value at wr doesn't  look to be there in the 2nd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I don’t want any WR this draft. Don’t want the 7th wr left or whatever number he would be. Give Pierce his last shot this coming year and let him prove himself one last time.

If anything colts still need a 4th or 5th WR. You really want to role with Dulin at 4.

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Feels wierd having so few picks

Ballard does not usually move up or down the draft, or acquire additional picks until rounds 2 through 4. They actually have all their own picks this year which has not been the case the past few drafts.

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

But are they better than pierce

What does that have to do with anything? There are other positions than WR. Our offense wasn't bad last year, with a backup QB, and our defense needs help.

Is it WR or bust for you? Even if so, I bet 4 years from now, looking back, some of the 2/3/4 round WR's will outperform some of the 1st round WR's; it happens a lot.

I personally hope for a defense-heavy draft, with a few choice offensive players that fit our scheme. 

6 minutes ago, IndyEV said:

I’m kinda wondering if Irsay is * at Ballard for not doing whatever it takes to trade up for MHjr!? Now, we just got to settle for a low end draft wr that is only psquad worthy!

Only practice squad worthy? So if a WR isn't picked in the 1st round they are only good for the practice squad? Or maybe I am misreading your post?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Keep in mind a lot of good wide receivers are found on the second and third day.  

The Colts last three good WRs have all been found in rounds two or three, Downs, Pittman, and Hilton.  Before that it was Garçon who was a late round pick and Collie who was a mid round pick.  You can find WRs all over the draft.  It doesn’t have to be a first rounder like Marvin and Reggie were.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

I think he was implying that if the wr isn’t better than pierce no reason to waste another second round pick on wr

I guess I can kind of get that from the post, but if so, then why did he quote me? I mentioned that there are lots of good players left, and he replied "But are they better than pierce." Would that logic apply if the colts 2nd round pick was a safety, CB, OL, etc...? Maybe I misunderstood the post?

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If anything colts still need a 4th or 5th WR. You really want to role with Dulin at 4.

Yes, would rather have a starting player then a 4th string wr lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Anyone know anything about the rest of the te’s  left. Maybe we could find someone to replace MAC in the second or third

I’ve been saying and I am going to stick to it I don’t think the Colts are planning to move on from MAC.  They clearly like him a lot more than fans do.  

11 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

There’s 0 value in drafting a WR in Rd 2 now. The value sits on the defensive side now. This was known coming into the draft. 

That's actually not true. WR in R2 and R3 is actually the best value. PFF had a stat for drafts after 2015 and the drop off in R2 and R3 producing starters was the smallest at WR than in any other position. It was something like:

WR:

R1: 60%

R2 and R3: 50%

In comparison for EDGE the stats were something along the lines of:

R1:60%

R2:25% 

So ... purely analytically, the Colts did the right thing if you believe in the player you took... which I personally love Latu so no objections on my end. And usually day 2 is golden for WRs compared to other position. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Anyone know anything about the rest of the te’s  left. Maybe we could find someone to replace MAC in the second or third

There are several potentially good ones left, just nobody with a resume anywhere near B. Bowers. I personally like Theo Johnson a lot, but several Ballard types will be available in the later rounds, such as: Cade Stover, Ben Sinnot, Jared Wiley, Tip Reiman (all of whom I like) & more. I would be surprised if we drafted a TE before round 4 or 5 though.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's actually not true. WR in R2 and R3 is actually the best value. PFF had a stat for drafts after 2015 and the drop off in R2 and R3 producing starters was the smallest at WR than in any other position. It was something like:

WR:

So ... purely analytically, the Colts did the right thing if you believe in the player you took... which I personally love Latu so no objections on my end. And usually day 2 is golden for WRs compared to other position. 

I think a lot of the WR that were expected to go round 2 early went in round one though. I could be wrong.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

WR:

This is also considered a very deep WR draft going well into the second round.  Some are just stomping their feet and throwing a fit because they didn’t get the position they wanted tonight and it shows.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is going to be a guy there at 46 that will help the Colts.  The question is do the Colts stay at 46?  I think it’s highly posable they move back a little and get an extra pick or two.

I agree he will find a good player at 46 or acquire extra picks and find good players. That has been his MO. But at this point if there is first round talent that has slipped into the 2nd round at an area of need I prefer Ballard get aggressive and move up for that player.  Colts need difference makers IMHO.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dejean does not fit what they look for in a corner. He is more a nickel or safety. If he can convert to FS it could work.

Yeah this is not true at all...

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you guys think he can play safety? He doesn’t fit what they like in cornerbacks.

Dejean is a cover 3 corner who can tackle and is a playmaker. He fits exactly what they need. Got to get a WR though. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think a lot of the WR that were expected to go round 2 early went in round one though. I could be wrong.

That is true, too... We are in a run of WRs right now too... No idea where it stops and who is left when we pick. But in general the class is really deep with WRs. I think even in R3 you are probably going to get good players. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Dejean is a cover 3 corner who can tackle and is a playmaker. He fits exactly what they need. Got to get a WR though. 

Roman Wilson is tough 4.39 WR who had an excellent senior bowl week. Might  be a good 3rd rounder for the colts

9 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Roman Wilson is tough 4.39 WR who had an excellent senior bowl week. Might  be a good 3rd rounder for the colts

I really like Roman Wilson, but due to his size I think he is probably a slot receiver in the NFL. Josh Downs is our primary slot receiver, and potentially a good one. Therefore I don't see Ballard drafting a slot receiver before the 5th round, and Wilson will be long gone by then. JMO, could be wrong. He is a baller though!

Latu is a good start to the draft. The position is just too hard to fill. The opportunity presented itself and I am glad the Colts acted on it. I cannot even recall when the first defensive player went off the board that late - Fortunate for the Colts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DynaMike said:

There are a LOT of good players left.

i agree there are a lot of good players left but i would have loved one of the elite wrs to have fallen to us, now we have just good wrs to pick from

3 minutes ago, DynaMike said:

I really like Roman Wilson, but due to his size I think he is probably a slot receiver in the NFL. Josh Downs is our primary slot receiver, and potentially a good one. Therefore I don't see Ballard drafting a slot receiver before the 5th round, and Wilson will be long gone by then. JMO, could be wrong. He is a baller though!

Could very well be. Thomas is still there - if he checks out with teams attitude wise - he will be gone quickly on Friday.

4 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i agree there are a lot of good players left but i would have loved one of the elite wrs to have fallen to us, now we have just good wrs to pick from

Ballard admitting they were trying to trade up for a WR at least tells me that he is serious about wanting to add an elite weapon (not just good) to his team. Plenty of people, including myself, thought he wasn't serious about making that move, it would cost too much, etc.

Maybe he calls up the 49ers for Aiyuk, who could fit that elite bill pretty well, and is still pretty young.

• Like 2

What does that have to do with anything? There are other positions than WR. Our offense wasn't bad last year, with a backup QB, and our defense needs help.

Is it WR or bust for you? Even if so, I bet 4 years from now, looking back, some of the 2/3/4 round WR's will outperform some of the 1st round WR's; it happens a lot.

I personally hope for a defense-heavy draft, with a few choice offensive players that fit our scheme. 

You misunderstood  I like the first round pick, but as someone  else said if the wr isn't  better than pierce  than is no need going wr in the second. AR needs more weapons particularly one who could have taken full advantage  of his big arm like worthy who magically  fell to the chiefs and will be tyreek hill  2.0. At this point finding  a cb or fs may be the better  value  in the 2nd than alot of the remaining  wrs who can't  catch.

• Like 1

Pierce is an upgrade over Pierce this year cause of our QB. All those yards he ran without a target, he'll see more targets this year, so I'm good going defense in the 1st 3 rounds. Corner or safety next 2 rounds, or even LB.

• Thanks 1

I guess I can kind of get that from the post, but if so, then why did he quote me? I mentioned that there are lots of good players left, and he replied "But are they better than pierce." Would that logic apply if the colts 2nd round pick was a safety, CB, OL, etc...? Maybe I misunderstood the post?

Don't  mind me was livid about all the wrs that went in the first. Defense and oline is better value in the second. Hopefully  Ballard  has done his homework  for late round wr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Sanders is good but we have an army of tes lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

I don’t believe him anymore. Why would you? 

What lies do you think you’ve caught Ballard in?    You're upset because he didn’t draft the player you wanted — Fine.

But why shouldn’t people here believe him.  He’s always been pretty candid and straight forward.   You’re entitled not to like Ballard but I don’t get the “I don’t believe him” crack?   

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW was reading somewhere that the 49ers are looking to trade Deebo rather than Aiyuk. This is interesting... is it possible Ballard trades for him? 

I'd only want Deebo for maybe a 3rd round pick due to his contract, age, and health concerns. Still could be a fantastic weapon for a few years, but he was injured a ton last year.