Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pick #46/ #82 What's Available Day 2? Discussion

w87r

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What lies do you think you’ve caught Ballard in?    You're upset because he didn’t draft the player you wanted — Fine.

But why shouldn’t people here believe him.  He’s always been pretty candid and straight forward.   You’re entitled not to like Ballard but I don’t get the “I don’t believe him” crack?   

I agree. I definitely don't like some of the moves Ballard makes, but when he speaks he is usually pretty transparent.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is also considered a very deep WR draft going well into the second round.  Some are just stomping their feet and throwing a fit because they didn’t get the position they wanted tonight and it shows.

Deep for number 2 and 3 guys. I'm stomping  my feet because  I knew worthy was going to chiefs. Bills handed him to them. Now we gotta hope he sucks are Mahomes  will never stop winning  superbowls.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Pierce is an upgrade over Pierce this year cause of our QB. All those yards he ran without a target, he'll see more targets this year, so I'm good going defense in the 1st 3 rounds. Corner or safety next 2 rounds, or even LB.

I think that edgerrin guy is still there

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

IDK. This list doesn’t excite me. So many went in the first.

Hope you've been well Chloster.

I love this list. Ton of good players still available. I would love all but Mitchell and Cooper at 46 here. Bishop in the third would be great. Trust me, there's a lot of great talent and Ballard made the right pick at 15. You know I'm 100% honest.

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure that most people would agree that if before the draft you were told you could draft ANY of the defensive players at #15 in this draft as if you were picking #1 overall we would take that deal…it’s pretty remarkable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

We have the 14th pick in round 2.

Best available:(no particular order)

WR:

Mitchell 

Mcconkey 

Franklin 

Polk

Wilson

Corley

CB:

Kool-Aid

Melton 

Dejean

Rakestraw 

Tampa

S:

Bullard

Nubin 

LB:

Cooper

Wilson

Colson

DT:

Newton

Fiske

OL:

Jackson-Powers

That's 19 players there.

Hope we can grab either DeJean , Mitchell or Franklin. 

5 best remaining WR’s according to PFF

WR ADONAI MITCHELL, TEXAS. Mitchell's fluidity and size make him a tough matchup for anyone, especially in the red zone. ... 

WR TROY FRANKLIN, OREGON. ... 

WR LADD MCCONKEY, GEORGIA. ... 

WR KEON COLEMAN, FLORIDA STATE. ... 

WR ROMAN WILSON, MICHIGAN.

I just knew there was going to be a run on WRs later in the first.

welp, hoping we trade up for either AD (character concerns and all) or Troy Franklin.

there is no way we can leave this draft not drafting some type of burner in this deep WR draft.  

Welp, can’t be too mad.  We can’t pick ‘em all and I’m ok with who we picked.  

12 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

5 best remaining WR’s according to PFF

WR ADONAI MITCHELL, TEXAS. Mitchell's fluidity and size make him a tough matchup for anyone, especially in the red zone. ... 

WR TROY FRANKLIN, OREGON. ... 

WR LADD MCCONKEY, GEORGIA. ... 

WR KEON COLEMAN, FLORIDA STATE. ... 

WR ROMAN WILSON, MICHIGAN.

McConkey has knee issues that will probably remove him from the Colts board there. 

Round 2/3 Wishlist

1. Texas A&M LB Edgerrin Cooper

2. Iowa CB Cooper DeJean

3. Texas WR Adonai Mitchell

4. Rutgers CB Max Melton

5. Michigan LB Junior Colson

6. Western Kentucky WR Malachi Corley

7. Minnesota S Tyler Nubin

8. Iowa State CB T.J. Tampa

9.Oregon WR Troy Franklin

• Like 2

Wilson IMO is too much like Downs. Not sure we would want to pick another predominantly slot player. 

IMO the players that make the most sense at WR are - AD Mitchell, Ladd(he again plays a bit of slot, but he's also a bit more versatile, he's played about 75% of his snaps in other alignments), Troy Franklin - he can be a Z for us... Jermaine Burton?!? if he's cleared character-wise?? I like Malik Washington but he's predominantly slot too so not sure he's a fit here. 

BTW... this guy is projected as a day 3 pick... but because of the general lack of that type of player after Troy Franklin(fast Z) I can see him being pushed up... maybe get drafted mid-late R3 - he's like budget version of Xavier Worthy- Anthony Gould. 

Maybe DeVontez Walker? Although he had such a bad Senior Bowl, I'd be surprised if Ballard goes for him. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What lies do you think you’ve caught Ballard in?    You're upset because he didn’t draft the player you wanted — Fine.

But why shouldn’t people here believe him.  He’s always been pretty candid and straight forward.   You’re entitled not to like Ballard but I don’t get the “I don’t believe him” crack?   

I think he just says these things to appease the fan base at this point. Seems like every time something big is expensive expected he has some excuse. I’m not really upset about not picking the player I wanted. I think he could’ve traded down a few spots and got Latu. Was hoping for a Rd 2 Wr but that river is dry. 

• Like 1

This is not who I would pick but rather who I expect the Colts to be interested in from the remaining players:

- Cooper DeJean

- AD Mitchell

- Troy Franklin

- Kool-Aid McKinstry

- Edgerrin Cooper

- Jaden Hicks

- Jackson Powers-Johnson (!!!) 

- Ennis Rakestraw Jr

- TJ Tampa

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

That's actually not true. WR in R2 and R3 is actually the best value. PFF had a stat for drafts after 2015 and the drop off in R2 and R3 producing starters was the smallest at WR than in any other position. It was something like:

WR:

R1: 60%

R2 and R3: 50%

In comparison for EDGE the stats were something along the lines of:

R1:60%

R2:25% 

So ... purely analytically, the Colts did the right thing if you believe in the player you took... which I personally love Latu so no objections on my end. And usually day 2 is golden for WRs compared to other position. 

Maybe that’s the case most years but you had 7 Wr’s go off the board in rd 1. Maybe a couple more before 49. To me that’s a big drop off. This year is different because you had so many runs at the position. Just look at the best available, most are OL or defense. That’s because the talent pool at receiver got hammered in Rd 1. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Maybe that’s the case most years but you had 7 Wr’s go off the board in rd 1. Maybe a couple more before 49. To me that’s a big drop off. This year is different because you had so many runs at the position. Just look at the best available, most are OL or defense. That’s because the talent pool at receiver got hammered in Rd 1. 

Yeah, it's possible it gets depleted and it seems like we are in the middle of a run right now... but keep in mind that projections are that there might be about 17-20 WRs taken in the first 3 rounds. The position is truly deep in this class! I think we will get a good prospect either way. True... it won't be one of the top tier guys(most likely, unless AD drops?), but still. 

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Wilson IMO is too much like Downs. Not sure we would want to pick another predominantly slot player. 

IMO the players that make the most sense at WR are - AD Mitchell, Ladd(he again plays a bit of slot, but he's also a bit more versatile, he's played about 75% of his snaps in other alignments), Troy Franklin - he can be a Z for us... Jermaine Burton?!? if he's cleared character-wise?? I like Malik Washington but he's predominantly slot too so not sure he's a fit here. 

BTW... this guy is projected as a day 3 pick... but because of the general lack of that type of player after Troy Franklin(fast Z) I can see him being pushed up... maybe get drafted mid-late R3 - he's like budget version of Xavier Worthy- Anthony Gould. 

Maybe DeVontez Walker? Although he had such a bad Senior Bowl, I'd be surprised if Ballard goes for him. 

Agreed on Roman. He's faster than Downs though, but doesn't get separated as often.

I wonder if AD is off the board because of character and Ladd is off because of injuries.

I'd be okay with Franklin. If Burton is cleared character wise, he's the best WR available. Might be #4 WR in this draft, but his character concerns are massive.

I loved Tez, but completely fell off after the Senior Bowl. He terrifies me now. I'm seeing Denzel Mims, and I LOVED Denzel. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, it's possible it gets depleted and it seems like we are in the middle of a run right now... but keep in mind that projections are that there might be about 17-20 WRs taken in the first 3 rounds. The position is truly deep in this class! I think we will get a good prospect either way. True... it won't be one of the top tier guys(most likely, unless AD drops?), but still. 

Would you rather have a top rated safety/linebacker or the 10th rated receiver? With how many receivers flew off the board, the value there gets pushed back until the 4th/5th. I was hoping for a good one to fall but knew better because the top 7 or 8 are really talented. I don’t know how we go into the season with what that WR group. It needs something at some point. 

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Would you rather have a top rated safety/linebacker or the 10th rated receiver? With how many receivers flew off the board, the value there gets pushed back until the 4th/5th. I was hoping for a good one to fall but knew better because the top 7 or 8 are really talented. I don’t know how we go into the season with what that WR group. It needs something at some point. 

Hard to tell. IMO it's close, but I really do think we need to give AR more help, so if it's close... go with WR. 

• Like 1

We have some positions of need just like any team. I really felt this offseason we needed a true difference maker(S), either at WR/TE , or defense....maybe Latu can be that guy, but combined with what we didnt do in FA pretty disappointed overall.....I am sure this draft class will be "nice" but its been several years of nice, I dont feel like we have enough Dynamic players on either side of the ball to be more than a middle of the road wild card team....Just feels to me he is afraid to take a chance and swing for the fences once in a while......

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crunked said:

We have some positions of need just like any team. I really felt this offseason we needed a true difference maker(S), either at WR/TE , or defense....maybe Latu can be that guy, but combined with what we didnt do in FA pretty disappointed overall.....I am sure this draft class will be "nice" but its been several years of nice, I dont feel like we have enough Dynamic players on either side of the ball to be more than a middle of the road wild card team....Just feels to me he is afraid to take a chance and swing for the fences once in a while......

I think Latu is exactly that kind of player, who is said to be the most special edge rusher in the draft. Only concern with him was neck injury, but he recovered from that 2 years ago and his awesome tape shows the kind of special player, far from injury concerns. Without that injury history, he'd have been top-10, if not top-5, player in this draft easily. 

So, what more swing-for-fences move you refer to? Which player did you have in mind? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crunked said:

This is how I feel as well. It’s frustrating to see other teams in our division build around their young QB and we’re left watching. Seems like a broken record but year after year we enter the draft with SO many holes. The Texans basically went worst to first and will even be better this year with the moves they made. At some point I hope we can get out of the mud. AR needs another weapon and sadly the ones that could make an immediate impact are gone. 

• Like 1

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think Latu is exactly that kind of player, who is said to be the most special edge rusher in the draft. Only concern with him was neck injury, but he recovered from that 2 years ago and his awesome tape shows the kind of special player, far from injury concerns.

So, what more swing-for-fences move you refer to? Which player did you have in mind? 

I thought someone might ask "who" I would want him to swing for the fences for.....and its tough to explain, but I will try. I would have loved Marv Jr. for nostalgia but knew that was unrealistic at any cost.....Liked the idea of Brock Bowers, etc. but its not really "WHO" for me, it was the effort, risk it....and this applies to FA as well. Go out on a limb for a difference maker, I think they are more qualified to determine "who" that is than I.....and maybe there wasn't one. but over the last 7 or 8 years there have been opportunities in FA and draft. So maybe my disappointment is more cumulative than this instance specific......Dunno if that makes sense, he has played it safe for years and does well with what he has had, guess I am saying (my opinion) at some point you gotta say "I am pushing all in" for this player as we need that over the top player now......and he never seems to reach that boiling point. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, colts89 said:

I agree. I definitely don't like some of the moves Ballard makes, but when he speaks he is usually pretty transparent.

Ballard speaks eloquently and that makes fan base calm down for that moment, but not exactly transparent...

Example: 

Start of last season: Ballard said he liked the young secondary he just drafted. 

Year-end Presser: He blamed himself for throwing the young secondary group into the fire.

Pre-draft presser: Ballard says, The young secondary group is not young anymore, and they've all grown up. (When zero off-season program or progress they achieved between January and April)

What exactly transparency we see here? But, Ballard knows how to appease people, and talk to media so that people will trust him. He knows what to say to make fan base trust him a bit more and give him more time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Crunked said:

I thought someone might ask "who" I would want him to swing for the fences for.....and its tough to explain, but I will try. I would have loved Marv Jr. for nostalgia but knew that was unrealistic at any cost.....Liked the idea of Brock Bowers, etc. but its not really "WHO" for me, it was the effort, risk it....and this applies to FA as well. Go out on a limb for a difference maker, I think they are more qualified to determine "who" that is than I.....and maybe there wasn't one. but over the last 7 or 8 years there have been opportunities in FA and draft. So maybe my disappointment is more cumulative than this instance specific......Dunno if that makes sense, he has played it safe for years and does well with what he has had, guess I am saying (my opinion) at some point you gotta say "I am pushing all in" for this player as we need that over the top player now......and he never seems to reach that boiling point. 

I asked for a player example, because I thought you were talking about this first round draft pick as Latu is such a great pick. If you're referring collectively, especially free agency, agreed totally. Anyway, I think Ballard is slowly reaching the point where he's started targeting elite players in very important positions (Hunter, Sneed, Latu), but yeah the slow transition pace in his method is not very inspiring. 

5 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Ballard speaks eloquently and that makes fan base calm down for that moment, but not exactly transparent...

Example: 

Start of last season: Ballard said he liked the young secondary he just drafted. 

Year-end Presser: He blamed himself for throwing the young secondary group into the fire.

Pre-draft presser: Ballard says, The young secondary group is not young anymore, and they've all grown up. (When zero off-season program or progress they achieved between January and April)

What exactly transparency we see here? But, Ballard knows how to appease people, and talk to media so that people will trust him. He knows what to say to make fan base trust him a bit more and give him more time

Very well said. I finally have noticed this as well. We tried this or that but things just didn’t line up. Seems like he tries to appease the fan base and give excuses for failed attempts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I asked for a player example, because I thought you were talking about this first round draft pick as Latu is such a great pick. If you're referring collectively, especially free agency, agreed totally. Anyway, I think Ballard is slowly reaching the point where he's started targeting elite players (Hunter, Sneed, Latu), but yeah the slow transition pace in his method is not very inspiring. 

I hope Latu ends up being "elite" but the medical (although to your point) has been ok for 2 seasons still long term concerns me, and his slender frame (and I know they can and probably will try to bulk him a bit) give me long term and effective at this level concerns respectively. In a vacuum great college talent, I hope it transfers, but its not a sure shot for me and maybe I will be proven wrong.....and hope I am....just my concerns right now...I see him as a "fragile-elite" pick sort of like buying a sports car from the scratch and dent aisle, I mean it is a sports car, but look at that scratch lol  .....dunno maybe I am reading too deep......but I am a fan and thats what I do ha ha!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Example: 

Something like, "Listen, you guys know me. You've been doing this a long time. It's hard to win in this game. We like the position our roster is in, but we think we have a shot at adding some real difference makers."

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

Really hoping for either AD Mitchell or future stud at OC Jackson Powers Johnson for the Colts in round 2. Or a trade down to get extra high picks. 

I do think we may trade down in the 2nd and pick up a 4th or low 3rd maybe.

So we tried to move up but couldn't get a dance partner. I wonder who we were working to trade up with.... Arizona maybe? 

6 QBs in the first 15 picks just shows how desperate these teams are to get a franchise QB. Some will score and be lucky, others... not so much. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Something like, "Listen, you guys know me. You've been doing this a long time. It's hard to win in this game. We like the position our roster is in, but we think we have a shot at adding some real difference makers."

Is it wrong that I read that with Ballards Texas Drawl? lol asking for a friend

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I do think we may trade down in the 2nd and pick up a 4th or low 3rd maybe.

Great pick at 1 right?

Love Latu

I actually this we may choose to trade UP in round 2, to get a coveted player

(WR or Cooper DeJean)

• Like 1