Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Minshew appreciation thread

PRnum1

I was shocked to find there was no minshew appreciation thread. Why is that ?

I'm hoping Colts fans will be gracious and show Gardner some love.

It's time for Colts fans to "bend the knee" and show Gardner some love.

Do it now !!!!

kneel tyrion lannister GIF by Game of Thrones

• Like 6

Let’s get the negative out the way first. Minshew is trying his best to end somebody’s career with some of his passes. Pittman & Downs have both taken at least 2 Kill Shot hits apiece this season. He’s got to do a better job protecting his guys. 

Now for the positive, he balled out today.  He did a much better job of navigating the pocket.  I personally think Shane’s play calling deserves the lion’s share of the credit but no doubt Gardner did his thing this game.     :colts::rock:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Let’s get the negative out the way first. Minshew is trying his best to end somebody’s career with some of his passes. Pittman & Downs have both taken at least 2 Kill Shot hits apiece this season. He’s got to do a better job protecting his guys. 

Now for the positive, he balled out today.  He did a much better job of navigating the pocket.  I personally think Shane’s play calling deserves the lion’s share of the credit but no doubt Gardner did his thing this game.     :colts::rock:

Shane has absolutely gotten the most out of Minshew as the year has gone on. So I agree with everything you said. Minshew has stopped playing hero and hurting the team as the year has gone on, a big part of our Ws

• Like 8

He's doing a good job.  Always have liked the kid, and this season is a great opportunity for him to show what he can do.  Nice balanced offense, all he has to do is play within the system.  Get the team into the right checks and protections, spread that ball around, don't get receivers killed.  And keep winning.  

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

There’s been plenty who have supported Gardner, including @2006Coltsbestever

I admit I was pretty down on him at the start of the season but he’s done enough to get this team to where it’s at. 

I know what he brings to the table. He is without a doubt the best back up in the league and I will stick by what I said 3 weeks ago, he could become a full-time starter for a few teams. Would I rather have AR, of course but we can only play the hand we are dealt. 

• Like 3

He’s a great backup.  I still think some look at him through starter’s lens and expect him to do things you wouldn’t expect any backup to do.  I want him back but I think the Colts might feel Sam is ready to take over the backup job next year.  They have been grooming him for that and with key free agents like Pittman, Grover, Moore, and Blackmon they might need that money.  With that said I hope Gardner stays and signs a longer deal similar to the amount he signed for this year.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know what he brings to the table. He is without a doubt the best back up in the league and I will stick by what I said 3 weeks ago, he could become a full-time starter for a few teams. Would I rather have AR, of course but we can only play the hand we are dealt. 

Browning is proving to be a good backup as well

• Like 1

First time in a long while where he stayed in the pocket with flinching at the sign of pressure (real or not). There were a couple of plays where he reminded me of Andrew. Pocket closing down, but he stood there kept looking down field and found a receiver even with a crowd around him. 

I will come eat my crow as I said we would win 3 more games the rest of the year with him starting. It isn't always pretty and we don't light up the airways with him under center, but, he has led the team to a few more wins than I originally thought.  

I will never say he's a legit starter though. But a pretty darned good backup he is!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I will come eat my crow as I said we would win 3 more games the rest of the year with him starting. It isn't always pretty and we don't light up the airways with him under center, but, he has led the team to a few more wins than I originally thought.  

I will never say he's a legit starter though. But a pretty darned good backup he is!

There is a handful of people that think he sucks and they repeat it over and over during games on the game thread. Then when we win, those few disappear. At least you are here and admitting he can play well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He’s a roller coaster ride every game.  He played well today but also missed some easy throws. A couple bad throws to Pierce. One was most likely a TD.  he should have hit Ogletree for a TD, he got Pittman concussed with a terrible throw. He slid short of the 1st down again.

However,  No turnovers by Minshew.  The throw that MAC didn’t haul in was his best throw. Directing Pitt up the sidelines was a great play by Minshew.  Kudos to Minshew for directing the team to another win.  I did curse at him a few times today though. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

He’s a roller coaster ride every game.  He played well today but also missed some easy throws. A couple bad throws to Pierce. One was most likely a TD.  he should have hit Ogletree for a TD, he got Pittman concussed with a terrible throw. He slid short of the 1st down again.

However,  No turnovers by Minshew.  The throw that MAC didn’t haul in was his best throw. Directing Pitt up the sidelines was a great play by Minshew.  Kudos to Minshew for directing the team to another win.  I did curse at him a few times today though. 

You can say that about even the QBs that are considered Elite are a Rollercoaster ride. Look at Josh Allen for example week to week, you never know what you are going to get from him. There really hasn't been a QB this year that hasn't played badly in a few games. Even Mahomes has.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Here's an example of the work ethic I speak of. Tough to not root for a guy that does stuff like this.

How anyone can say this guy is trash or doesn't belong in the league needs a reality check. Leadership goes a long way and he has it. His work ethic is solid too. Overall for this season, he clearly has been above average for us on a scale of bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, great. He is inconsistent and sloppy at times but he also helps win enough games too offset that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You can say that about even the QBs that are considered Elite are a Rollercoaster ride. Look at Josh Allen for example week to week, you never know what you are going to get from him. There really hasn't been a QB this year that hasn't played badly in a few games. Even Mahomes has.

Gotta admit you’re right there. Been a tough year on QBs all around.

that said, I think what we saw yesterday is Minshews “A” game or ceiling if you will. He is what he is, by that I mean he’s an above average backup and average starter. Which works with the cast we have right now. And I’m extremely happy with his performance this year against all odds. To even have won 8 games and be in the hunt has vastly exceeded my expectations for him or this team and there’s credit due every where in this organization.

After last weeks game, I wanted to see how we’d respond to a desperate Steelers team to judge Shane’s handle on the team inside the locker room. That butt whooping showed me everything I needed to know about Shane vs Reich. Hats off to the entire team

and Minshew did something no colts QB since Peyton has done… beat the Steelers and Patriots with Tomlin and the Hoodied one still their coach

• Like 4

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Gotta admit you’re right there. Been a tough year on QBs all around.

that said, I think what we saw yesterday is Minshews “A” game or ceiling if you will. He is what he is, by that I mean he’s an above average backup and average starter. Which works with the cast we have right now. And I’m extremely happy with his performance this year against all odds. To even have won 8 games and be in the hunt has vastly exceeded my expectations for him or this team and there’s credit due every where in this organization.

After last weeks game, I wanted to see how we’d respond to a desperate Steelers team to judge Shane’s handle on the team inside the locker room. That butt whooping showed me everything I needed to know about Shane vs Reich. Hats off to the entire team

and Minshew did something no colts QB since Peyton has done… beat the Steelers and Patriots with Tomlin and the Hoodied one still their coach

When you know something has to be done and it gets done the best way to yield positive results, you know you have a coach of a different mold.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Ok.   Just so I am on the same page    We like Minshew again this week right?

You know how it goes in here, 1st pick against the Falcons, he will suck, season over to a few in here. Having said that, I think most in here know the guy has played above average, so the doubt is starting to shrink about him. Beating Pittsburgh was huge. I know Pitt had Trubisky and they are an average team but because it was Pitt, that made a lot of people happy. 

On 12/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, ChuggaBeer said:

Ok.   Just so I am on the same page    We like Minshew again this week right?

I was always in the Minshew corner.  He's not a "great" starter but he is a great backup to have or a starter while you have a rookie for the future.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I was always in the Minshew corner.  He's not a "great" starter but he is a great backup to have or a starter while you have a rookie for the future.  

I said it the other day, Inlive the dudes moxie, even if some plays I want to punch him in the face, he’s determined to be his best and has a short memory. Same thing with Pittman, dudes a beast…alit if guys wouldn’t have got up after that hit. PAY THE MAN!!!!!

• Like 1

I said it in the other thread, but seeing his growth from the start of the season has been awesome!  I'm amazed that we are in playoff discussions, especially down so many starters this year.  Minshew's leadership has really show through,  makes me excited to watch the Colts every Sunday.  I've been down on him on the bad games, but he's proven he can improve throughout the season.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2023 at 7:29 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep every qb has had really bad games.

Josh Allen, Dak, Hurts, Mahommes, Purdy, etc

• Like 2