Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alec Pierce

joeb

I keep hoping for him to break out. But in reality he offers little to nothing for our offense. If Pittman gets hurt we would be in big trouble. Downs will do well in the future. Possibly 2 receivers will be needed in the draft.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, joeb said:

I keep hoping for him to break out. But in reality he offers little to nothing for our offense. If Pittman gets hurt we would be in big trouble. Downs will do well in the future. Possibly 2 receivers will be needed in the draft.

He played very good today.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Apparently, you don't own a TV?

I have many tv's. If you think he's playing well, you don't know what you're talking about. He's a receiver. We need him to catch the ball and hopefully gain some yards. You understand the concept. Or do you?

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is blocking his butt off though.

Well that's good. 

58 minutes ago, joeb said:

He actually had his best game of the year today 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Minshew’s inability to throw deep has hurt Pierce more than anyone.  Pierce gets a bit of a bad rap because of it.  He’s a good blocker, has good hands, and has picked up probably 4 or 5 DPI’s that don’t show up in the stat sheet. He had a good game today. 

you ether need the big arm or great anticipation reading the defense and rout to make the throw before the receiver breaks open. He doesn’t really have ether, that’s why he is an above average backup qb.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Minshew’s inability to throw deep has hurt Pierce more than anyone.  Pierce gets a bit of a bad rap because of it.  He’s a good blocker, has good hands, and has picked up probably 4 or 5 DPI’s that don’t show up in the stat sheet. He had a good game today. 

Disagree on the hands comment.  He drops a bunch of balls from what I have seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeb said:

Here we go again.  

Have you noticed that with Minshew the Colts don’t throw that deep?    The Colts throw short and medium.   That’s all the opportunities any of the receivers get.   Today most of the throws went to Pittman, Downs and Mallory. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

While statistically he is not as productive as many of us would like, however, there was a graphic posted during the Patriots game (I believe) that stated he has run the most miles of any receiver this year in the NFL. That is by design as they are using him to clear out the underneath routes................Minshew doesn't have the arm strength to hit him on the deep balls and AR5 was too green to let those develop when he was playing. 

So statistically he is not offering much, but the staff likely does not share your sentiment.

That is probably the most logical post yet on this topic.

I double checked the colts stats.   Turns out I’m slightly off.   Pierce had the third most catches, not Mallory.   Pierce had 4 catches but for only just under 30 yards.  Basically short stuff.   He was just behind Pitt and Downs who had more receptions, but also shorter yardage.   That’s just what the Colts ran.   But Pierce was involved.  But nothing deep. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Jack Doyle: Great Blocker, never a part of the gameplan, and a 2.25 catch per game average. 

Alec Pierce: Hold My Beer!

Spit Take GIF

How did we get on to Jack Doyle?    

Either way, you’re wrong about Doyle.   Check out his stats for 4 straight years.  16-19.   He was a favorite target for both Luck and Brissett.   Never part of the game plan?   False.   59 catches in 16, 80 catches in 17, 26 catches in just 6 games before injury in 18, and 43 catches in 19. 

So for four years he was a major part of the game plan.   You simply don’t know how to make an honest argument.   Check!

• Like 3

Alex had a better game today…..

The position STILL needs to be upgraded in the off-season 

Pittman had a great day, but I classify him as a strong WR2

(We should pay the man)

If we get a field stretching WR1 Pittman may have an even better year as he won’t receive as much attention 

3 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I would like him to get past the sticks when he does catch a pass instead of being 4th and one. 

He actually had an extremely high percentage of catches for 1st downs going into the game.  Breaking up the near interception was a huge play in the game too. 

• Like 2

I doubt there is a single soul on here who doesn’t wish Pierce contributed more in terms of catches and yards…but it’s not entirely something he can control. The ball has to come his way; and as of now I feel it’s about a 50/50 if he will make the catch and a play on it. Hopefully an offseason with the new QB will get him going…

AP is this year's whipping boy. Every year we have to have one right?

The only way you can judge how Pierce is doing is if you watch the coaches feed.  He is open a lot, but Minshew just doesn't have the arm (or confidence to go to him).  Those short crossing routes that Minshaw does throw are usually reserved for Pitt and Downs. If they changed his roll, I have no doubt Pierce would easily put up impressive numbers.  They just don't have the QB to get it to him. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I'd like to see more from him so to me he feels a bit behind the curve.  I like him though.  Hoping he turns it on.

Year 3 is when Reggie Wayne took off. Like most posters that inferred to it, we need to see him play 75% of the games with AR to truly see what he can do. The bigger elephant in the room there is AR needs to play 75% :)