Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alec Pierce

joeb

I was frustrated with Pierce last week. But after watching him closely this week he is more open then I originally thought. But he needs to produce more. I hope next year AR will get him the ball over the top. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

I haven't seen this anywhere else, but they said during the game today that Pierce has run 40 more go routes than any other receiver in the NFL.

I heard that as well. In effect he's the sacrificial lamb to allow Minshew to play his game of fairly safe short and intermediate throws. He should be given his props instead of the scorn he gets. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lester said:

What people are saying when they say, “it’s the QB” is this: the routes that this scheme assigns to other receivers are not the same as those they assign to Alec Pierce.

Pittman and Downs are assigned the kind of routes that Minshew is very good at. Alec Pierce, however, is not assigned these kinds of routes. His role has consistently been to run really fast, far downfield. Minshew has to wind up to uncork throws like that. He’s not gifted with the arm to throw like that naturally. Even with Pittman out, Alec Pierce didn’t take over the intermediate role, Montgomery did.

I love Seniõr Minshew. I really, really like that they went and got him for our team this year. But change the QB to one with a different skill set and you’ll see different opportunities in the Colt’s passing game. 

The most amazing thing to me is that Pierce hasn't complained once about the way he's used. Keeps his mouth shut, runs his routes (though it must be discouraging to know you probably won't smell the ball) and block (where he does an outstanding job). 

I've said this before, but give him mpj role and see the kind of numbers he puts up (and vice-versa). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cbear said:

The most amazing thing to me is that Pierce hasn't complained once about the way he's used. Keeps his mouth shut, runs his routes (though it must be discouraging to know you probably won't smell the ball) and block (where he does an outstanding job). 

I've said this before, but give him mpj role and see the kind of numbers he puts up (and vice-versa). 

That’s the high character thing Ballard likes that some were complaining about Ballard last year for.  

Let’s say the Colts didn’t trade back last year and took Pickens like some fans wanted and let’s just say for argument sakes they asked him to do what Pierce has been asked to do and let’s just say it’s all the QB do you think Pickens would behave the way Pierce has?  I doubt it.  Character matters and I am sure that was a big part of why the Colts decided to target Pierce over Pickens last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s the high character thing Ballard likes that some were complaining about Ballard last year for.  

Let’s say the Colts didn’t trade back last year and took Pickens like some fans wanted and let’s just say for argument sakes they asked him to do what Pierce has been asked to do and let’s just say it’s all the QB do you think Pickens would behave the way Pierce has?  I doubt it.  Character matters and I am sure that was a big part of why the Colts decided to target Pierce over Pickens last year.

Honestly, if Pickens was told to play the Pierce role, he'd have been suspended at least once this year knowing how Steichen operates. Jmo. 

On 11/26/2023 at 5:43 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

hes practically open every other play..minshew just doesn't throw his way for some odd reason...

I was going to say the same thing. He's been open all season, in virtually every game, and yet Minshew just doesn't seem to recognize it. But then, Minshew misses other open receivers all the time, so it's not Pierce-specific, although it does seem to affect Pierce disproportionately. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I was going to say the same thing. He's been open all season, in virtually every game, and yet Minshew just doesn't seem to recognize it. But then, Minshew misses other open receivers all the time, so it's not Pierce-specific, although it does seem to affect Pierce disproportionately. 

Pierce does get open more than most think. A lot of times Minshew doesn't see it because he is being pressured by defenses and has to get rid of the ball on short passes. Minshew had just enough time yesterday to hit him on a long one luckily and he still barely got the pass off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pierce does get open more than most think. A lot of times Minshew doesn't see it because he is being pressured by defenses and has to get rid of the ball on short passes. Minshew had just enough time yesterday to hit him on a long one luckily and he still barely got the pass off.

There are numerous examples of Minshew not seeing open receivers. His vision is limited; one reason why he is a backup. A darn good backup, by the way. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Exactly. People have some weird interpretations of Ballard's comments on character, IMO. 

There are reports that almost every team viewed Pickens as a first round talent, but almost every team had serious questions about his personality, and other things. The Steelers have had good results with mercurial receivers in the past, but in just the last two seasons, they've had some discouraging situations with really talented guys that just have bad attitudes. The issues with Pickens character showed up a couple weeks ago, when he decided not to block for his teammate on a potential TD play.

Meanwhile, Pierce gets one target today (officially; another got wiped out by penalty), generally gets overlooked in the gameplan and by the QB, IMO. And even last week, with Pittman out, he didn't get the Pittman role on game day. Yet he's never complained. Even Pittman was in his feelings earlier this year, which is way out of character for him. And then today, late in the game, Pierce is completely engaged and blocking for Pittman on a smoke screen. This is a play that could easily be called for Pierce to get the target, but it ALWAYS goes to Pittman. And Pierce just does his job.

And that's an example of what "football character" is really about.

Pickens appears to be the guy that someone invented the phrase…. 

“Million dollar talent.  10 cent head.”

Pickens not only failed to block for his teammate for fear of getting hurt, afterwards, he freely admitted it!  Didn’t seem to understand what the big deal was.   

Supremely talented.   But a strange mind.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:58 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Pickens appears to be the guy that someone invented the phrase…. 

“Million dollar talent.  10 cent head.”

Pickens not only failed to block for his teammate for fear of getting hurt, afterwards, he freely admitted it!  Didn’t seem to understand what the big deal was.   

Supremely talented.   But a strange mind.

Supremely talented.  But a selfish mind.

• Like 1

This game just reinforces how the type of QB play Pierce has to deal with in Minshew. Yet again he missed him multiple times and has throughout the season. I can’t wait to see AR with him next season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

This game just reinforces how the type of QB play Pierce has to deal with in Minshew. Yet again he missed him multiple times and has throughout the season. I can’t wait to see AR with him next season.

The shots to Pierce have to be taken early and that is when he has been most productive this season (Titans game, Raiders game etc.) and I was waiting for one, even when down 3-7 but none came. When you have several 2nd and shorts, those are also good times to take shots, was disappointed we didn't and didn't really push the ball till we got behind.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The shots to Pierce have to be taken early and that is when he has been most productive this season (Titans game, Raiders game etc.) and I was waiting for one, even when down 3-7 but none came. When you have several 2nd and shorts, those are also good times to take shots, was disappointed we didn't and didn't really push the ball till we got behind.

It save to say AR going down has hurt Pierce than probably any other player because how well their strengths and skill set match up.

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

It save to say AR going down has hurt Pierce than probably any other player because how well their strengths and skill set match up.

Until we see him with AR for an entire year together, the percentages, the numbers, the variety of routes he can run all can't be extrapolated for their possible ceilings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

When AR started he was 2 reads and throw away or run and he will still be 2 reads to open the season next year as well. It'll take time before he gets to Pierce unless Pierce is primary target for the play.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Basically a few times in every game Minshew hurt his chances of ever being a starter in the NFL last night. Played an awful game.

He missed that while playing in Jacksonville. He is what we thought he was. I’m not mad at him at all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw an interesting stat today.

1st 2 seasons in the NFL:

Pierce - 73 rec, 1107yds, 4tds, 15.2ypc, 33.5ypg

Wayne - 76 rec, 1061yds, 4tds, 13.7ypc , 35.7ypg.

Those were WITH Manning.

Don't think it's time to give up on Pierce just yet.

Wayne didn't even break 1000yds till year 4.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Those were WITH Manning.

That is why I jokingly said, Pierce doesn't want to one up his coach Wayne, and wants to wait till Year 3 like Wayne to break out. :) 

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Those were WITH Manning.

I wouldn't give up on him, but I also wouldn't act like he will be the next Wayne. I would proceed as if he is what he is... a 500 yard receiver... i.e. I wouldn't make any decisions at the top of the roster with any consideration about Pierce. We need better than what he's giving us thus far. So we should pursue better. If we can get a WR from the draft or in FA or in trade that we project to be much better than Pierce, we should not hesitate to get that guy. Example... somehow Rome Odunze falls to 15 or... 12 and we can make a small move up to get him... I won't be thinking about how this would impact Alec Pierce's snaps. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wouldn't give up on him, but I also wouldn't act like he will be the next Wayne. I would proceed as if he is what he is... a 500 yard receiver... i.e. I wouldn't make any decisions at the top of the roster with any consideration about Pierce. We need better than what he's giving us thus far. So we should pursue better. If we can get a WR from the draft or in FA or in trade that we project to be much better than Pierce, we should not hesitate to get that guy. Example... somehow Rome Odunze falls to 15 or... 12 and we can make a small move up to get him... I won't be thinking about how this would impact Alec Pierce's snaps. 

Who is acting like he is the next Wayne?

Wayne is HoF, the point is you don't give up on a guy after 2 years.

Even more so when you compare Manning for 2 seasons vs Ryan and Minshew for 2 seasons.

Highly doubt we go WR in round 1, unless Pittman is gone. Ballard doesn't give up on his guys and likes to get them on the field.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Who is acting like he is the next Wayne?

Wayne is HoF, the point is you don't give up on a guy after 2 years.

Even more so when you compare Manning for 2 seasons vs Ryan and Minshew for 2 seasons.

Highly doubt we go WR in round 1, unless Pittman is gone. Ballard doesn't give up on his guys and likes to get them on the field.

Again... don't give up on him. I don't mind keeping him and giving him the chance to earn playing time. But if we get the chance to upgrade/add talent in the WR room, we should do it. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Again... don't give up on him. I don't mind keeping him and giving him the chance to earn playing time. But if we get the chance to upgrade/add talent in the WR room, we should do it. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm just saying I don't see it in round 1 unless Pittman is tag and traded.

I guess it depends upon how quickly we need that WR that's more dynamic than Pittman.  Do you draft defense at 15 and hope AP ups his game, or do you not pass on a great WR at 15, which effectively drops AP to WR#4, and he's not going to get that development (not necessarily a give up on him)

Maybe the best option is to draft Bowers, so the receiver room improves immediately and AP gets another year to develop.

54 minutes ago, w87r said:

Those were WITH Manning.

Wayne started 16 games in his first two years and was not the WR2. Peirce started 34....Just sayin...........BIGGGGGGG Difference.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:01 PM, Superman said:

Exactly. People have some weird interpretations of Ballard's comments on character, IMO. 

There are reports that almost every team viewed Pickens as a first round talent, but almost every team had serious questions about his personality, and other things. The Steelers have had good results with mercurial receivers in the past, but in just the last two seasons, they've had some discouraging situations with really talented guys that just have bad attitudes. The issues with Pickens character showed up a couple weeks ago, when he decided not to block for his teammate on a potential TD play.

Meanwhile, Pierce gets one target today (officially; another got wiped out by penalty), generally gets overlooked in the gameplan and by the QB, IMO. And even last week, with Pittman out, he didn't get the Pittman role on game day. Yet he's never complained. Even Pittman was in his feelings earlier this year, which is way out of character for him. And then today, late in the game, Pierce is completely engaged and blocking for Pittman on a smoke screen. This is a play that could easily be called for Pierce to get the target, but it ALWAYS goes to Pittman. And Pierce just does his job.

And that's an example of what "football character" is really about.

Ok and? All these guys get paid a ransomed to play a game. Why wouldn't he do his job? I don't view doing your job high character. I view that as smart. Keep doing your job, keep getting paid. Not complaining about getting the targets on a team void of playmakers is not high character either, it's dumb or if it is high character, I personally don't want that from my receivers. I want my receiver to read the room and if he is so wide open every week and not being factored in by QB, Coach, or whoever/whatever then I want him to address it/complain about it behind the scenes and then publicly if need be until he gets the ball or becomes a substantial part of the gameplan. 

I mean look at it in real time right now. We have a possible $$ dilemma with Pitt. Would it be easier to make that decision if Pierce had been more adamant about getting the ball and possibly gained really good results for half a season or more? Showed promise maybe other than blocking and being a good teammate? 

I mean he could have flopped too, but personally I'm over this High Character crap. I don't want Alex Hernandez guys or even guys that lose their temper with their chicks, but I certainly don't want my receivers to not give a hoot about not getting targets or just happy with small gameday roles other than blocking for other guys. If that is who Pierce turns out to be then clearly, I was right the entire time. He's a bum and can take a walk because he's money NOT well spent.

:2c:

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Ok and? All these guys get paid a ransomed to play a game. Why wouldn't he do his job? I don't view doing your job high character. I view that as smart. Keep doing your job, keep getting paid. Not complaining about getting the targets on a team void of playmakers is not high character either, it's dumb or if it is high character, I personally don't want that from my receivers. I want my receiver to read the room and if he is so wide open every week and not being factored in by QB, Coach, or whoever/whatever then I want him to address it/complain about it behind the scenes and then publicly if need be until he gets the ball or becomes a substantial part of the gameplan. 

I mean look at it in real time right now. We have a possible $$ dilemma with Pitt. Would it be easier to make that decision if Pierce had been more adamant about getting the ball and possibly gained really good results for half a season or more? Showed promise maybe other than blocking and being a good teammate? 

I mean he could have flopped too, but personally I'm over this High Character crap. I don't want Alex Hernandez guys or even guys that lose their temper with their chicks, but I certainly don't want my receivers to not give a hoot about not getting targets or just happy with small gameday roles other than blocking for other guys. If that is who Pierce turns out to be then clearly, I was right the entire time. He's a bum and can take a walk because he's money NOT well spent.

:2c:

You or no one else here have any idea what is being discussed behind closed doors.   You don't like Pierce and never liked the pick.   You look at everything said about him in a negative light.  It's tired honestly.   

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I guess it depends upon how quickly we need that WR that's more dynamic than Pittman.  Do you draft defense at 15 and hope AP ups his game, or do you not pass on a great WR at 15, which effectively drops AP to WR#4, and he's not going to get that development (not necessarily a give up on him)

Maybe the best option is to draft Bowers, so the receiver room improves immediately and AP gets another year to develop.

I think its paramount that we give AR the best weapons right away because it will directly affect his growth even at the expense of the defense. The last thing we want is for AR to go to war with average weapons and expect him to gain confidence and produce an explosive offense. The fans and media will not be forgiving if we don't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Wayne started 16 games in his first two years and was not the WR2. Peirce started 34....Just sayin...........BIGGGGGGG Difference.

Wayne also had Peyton Manning....Just saying...........BIGGGGGGG Difference.

And actually despite starting that many fewer games and not being the #2, Wayne only had 22 fewer targets than Pierce did over that time period.

Pierce started 18 more games and had 22 more targets. 1.2 targets a game that averages over those 18 games.

Not so BIG of a difference after all, well, except the having Manning part. That's a big difference.

• Like 1