Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Takeaways from the Bills game

John Hammonds

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Why of course we all would. And Fries should continue to get better with more playing time. Unfortunately he isn't the athlete nor has the power so ... Yada Yada Yada. 

Everyone knows the only way to make Fries 🍟 better is with sauce 🥫. I can’t believe our offensive line coach hasn’t figured this out already. haha :sarcasm:

Only seen 1st qtr while AR5 played..

I'm not crazy about his throwing motion. Is that sidearm or what?? baseball pitchers that throw side arm get.movement on ball and possibly his throwing motion.is reason for.accuracy issues at Florida? As we all knew, his passes have lots of velocity.

At the combine he.tjrew.deep.accurately.... same to.the deep.corner pass to.Peirce which he dropped. But the pass was very nice.

He's not as quick or fast as a Vick or Jackson but is fast and is strong runner.. Hope he doesn't make a habit of taking defenders head on. 

For his first time out there with limited college experience I was pleased and.there's nothing with experience and good coaching and supporting cast to keep him from being at the very least a Franchise QB.

We have a good one going forward from what.early results so far.

.....also Josh Allen is a lot Bigger than Cynthia Frelund :funny:

• Like 1

Blake Freeland might be ahead of where Raimann was at this point one year ago. Many on here thought Freeland was gonna be a long-term project, I would be fine with moving Smith to RG and letting Freeland start at RT right now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Archer said:

Keep in mind that those pff grades are just pass-blocking grades.  We had pretty good holes in the run game.  I feel like that’s almost more important right now…

The stats show us going 3.1 ypc.  One article I read said the running game was bad.  Interestingly, our short yardage ineptitude made things look worse than they were.  Both fourth down misses resulted from the same pattern: 2nd & 4, run for two yards, run for one, run for zero.  Take out those two sequences and our YPC goes up half a yard.  I feel like Deon’s healthy almost 6ypc is more of what we saw in the game…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Everyone knows the only way to make Fries 🍟 better is with sauce 🥫. I can’t believe our offensive line coach hasn’t figured this out already. haha :sarcasm:

Figure they would ketchup by now.

I've watched the game twice now. Always interesting to watch the rookies in their first pro action. My takeaways.

Richardson played a lot better than I expected, he definitely will be the week one starter as you gain absolutely nothing by playing Minshew, that would only hinder Richardson's development.

Rush is very fast.

Brents and all the defensive backs have already mastered the art of giving up the 3rd and 10+ yards for first downs as we gave up 3rd and 12, 15, and 20. And for good measure we gave up a 1st and 20. Is there a league rule that Colt defensive backs have to give a minimum of a 5 yard cushion on every play?????? Because it's what we have done every season for the past 50 years, ridiculous. 

Other rookies who played very well: Freeland(outstanding), Rush, Jones(after just this game I think he makes the team)Leo(I think he makes the team also).

Leonard, Franklin, and Speed better stay healthy because Mcgrone and Stuard aren't going to get the job done.(Doman must be injured?)

One side note, Patmon who couldn't get "separation" to save his life as a Colt had no trouble getting it against the Colts, incredible, maybe Buffalo will cut him and we can get him back, hahahaha. 

Downs is very good also.

I see where some people are criticizing Richardson very heavily. Other than his interception(and what rookie doesn't throw interceptions), he had 2 nice drives. On was thwarted by a holding call on a nice scramble that would have been a 1st and goal at the 2 and then Gay misses the chipshot field goal. And then Pierce drops a touchdown on a very well thrown ball. All of this without Taylor on the field even though Hull looks like the clear starter in Taylors absence(Hull played very well also). 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just don't understand how RG hasn't been locked down yet. 

Raimann and Big Q looked great, and when Smith comes back, it'll help for sure, but dang. 

I think it is locked down with Fries.  You are correct.  When Smith returns he will make a big difference on the right side.

57 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just don't understand how RG hasn't been locked down yet. 

Raimann and Big Q looked great, and when Smith comes back, it'll help for sure, but dang. 

I would agree with this statement

I think that Raiman has settled in nicely at LT

I agree, I think we still have a glaring hole at RG.  I don't think the solution is on the roster

A RG, shouldn't cost much

I still am concerned about our ability to generate any pass rush against 1st string folks......

The good thing? We don't have to fix everything, this year

This is a year for patience after we get our QB to develop.

I am surprised about how quick his release is.  I am very hopeful with our QB

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mirobi48 said:

I thought AR looked slow when he was running no burst.  How fast is he?

He ran a 4.43 40 yard at the combine, 4th fastest in combine history for qbs.  Lamar didnt run though and might have been faster

One of the four also converted to WR and didnt last in the league

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Troll.  IGNORE 

Troll no, probably been a colt fan longer than you been alive. been a fan for over 60 years. and as a senior member did you re-watch the game? When he broke for the end zone he went wide if he would have cut inside TD and no holding call

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Y’know, at this point in time I would sign Dalton Risner if I was Ballard.  I’m not that concerned about Fries, but the back-up IOLs were bad to the man on Saturday.  Ya gotta have one backup you can count on…

I still think he's going to be a player after cutdowns.  It's definitely a gamble, but I think he has eyes on a couple of players from other teams.  Just a hunch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

The OL was pushed in the middle when it mattered, hopefully we see improvements there. Let us see where we are by game 3 of preseason.

Fries seems to be pushed back every play last year.....

More of the same in Preseason game 1

I think we HAVE to get a new starter at RG

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Y’know, at this point in time I would sign Dalton Risner if I was Ballard.  I’m not that concerned about Fries, but the back-up IOLs were bad to the man on Saturday.  Ya gotta have one backup you can count on…

Fries was playing with the others on the second team for much of the game......  He was pushed back constantly by the 2nd string of the Bills DL

He is the weak link on this OL.....   Inside pressure stinks for a new QB.....  

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Fries was playing with the others on the second team for much of the game......  He was pushed back constantly by the 2nd string of the Bills DL

Fries was taken out with the rest of the firsts. He played 29 snaps which is the same as Nelson and Richardson. You either saw Pinter, French, or Ekiyor.  I believe I read that Ekoyor did get handled near the beginning but got better as the game went.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Stampede Blue has an article showing all of AR’s plays.  Fries was out there for all of them from what I was able to see.   He did not look terrible or overwhelmed.  Seemed  to hold his own playing alongside a rookie tackle.  He actually looked better than what I was expecting to see.  I didn’t pay attention to our OL once AR left.  If he was out there with the two’s so be it.  But when he was with the one’s he was fine.  His run blocking looked good.  He got out well on a few screens.  He pulled once and looked good.  He had a rougher go with a few bull rushes but held his own against a very good Buffalo front four.  I think we need some better depth players for the OL.  Not sure anyone we get at cutdown is going to supplant Fries though.  Norwell and Risner are LG’s I believe.  Probably pricy too.  It will be interesting to see what moves Ballard makes here.  But I’m feeling comfortable with Fries starting right now.

37 minutes ago, KB said:

Fries was taken out with the rest of the firsts. He played 29 snaps which is the same as Nelson and Richardson. You either saw Pinter, French, or Ekiyor.  I believe I read that Ekoyor did get handled near the beginning but got better as the game went.

If Fries was taken out with the rest of the firsts I think it’s safe to assume he’s the starting RG unless they sign a FA to replace him or trade for one.  I think our starting OL played well Saturday and that was with Smith sidelined.

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Stampede Blue has an article showing all of AR’s plays.  Fries was out there for all of them from what I was able to see.   He did not look terrible or overwhelmed.  Seemed  to hold his own playing alongside a rookie tackle.  He actually looked better than what I was expecting to see.  I didn’t pay attention to our OL once AR left.  If he was out there with the two’s so be it.  But when he was with the one’s he was fine.  His run blocking looked good.  He got out well on a few screens.  He pulled once and looked good.  He had a rougher go with a few bull rushes but held his own against a very good Buffalo front four.  I think we need some better depth players for the OL.  Not sure anyone we get at cutdown is going to supplant Fries though.  Norwell and Risner are LG’s I believe.  Probably pricy too.  It will be interesting to see what moves Ballard makes here.  But I’m feeling comfortable with Fries starting right now.

Listened to Lombardi in podcast. He came away some what surprised by Richardson. He said he is going to be more like Newton and Allan and doesn't have the explosion that Lamar has. Will run over players and has to not get hurt. Amazed by his physical size and that  Cam was able to process faster than AR. Said the qbs drafted in the later rounds impressed more that the guys picked in the top 5. That being said knows Richardson is raw and needs a lot of work. Overall, I got the sense there is hope there lol.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Listened to Lombardi in podcast. He came away some what surprised by Richardson. He said he is going to be more like Newton and Allan and doesn't have the explosion that Lamar has. Will run over players and has to not get hurt. Amazed by his physical size and that  Cam was able to process faster than AR. Said the qbs drafted in the later rounds impressed more that the guys picked in the top 5. That being said knows Richardson is raw and needs a lot of work. Overall, I got the sense there is hope there lol.

Chris Simms had a somewhat different take.  Thinks AR could turn into a special player.  It took Allen three years to arrive.  He thinks AR has better players around him in his rookie year.  He is amazed at his quick and decisive release.  He mentioned Cam held onto the ball too long.  AR played only 29 snaps against a strong defense.  He was impressed with his first start.

19 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Just got to see the game today, Secondary and 2nd team OL are really pathetic. Buffalo receivers where running free all day. 2nd team OL got crushed and can't find a acceptable word to describe them. 

Just got to see the game today, Secondary and 2nd team OL are really pathetic. Buffalo receivers where running free all day. 2nd team OL got crushed and can't find a acceptable word to describe them. 

Ok ok...we get it!

On 8/13/2023 at 2:24 PM, 1959Colts said:

Aside from the starting 3 and Grant Stuard... we seem to have a sorry group of LBs

Jo Jo Dorman missed the game with an injury, I guess we have to count on him as a backup?

Or maybe Ballard better start looking to sign a couple more for depth?

So you're saying our 3 starters and top backup are good, but there's a dropoff after that?  Welcome to modern football.  That's a better position than 80% of this league.  Most of the time there will only be 2 linebackers on the field anyways.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Said the qbs drafted in the later rounds impressed more that the guys picked in the top 5.

They were given the chance to play longer and they did not face the #1 defenses. The QBs drafted in the first round did not play much and did not throw as many passes as the guys drafted later. For example, Bennett threw 29 times and Clayton Tune had 23 pass attempts. I think Richardson had the most passes (12) among the ones drafted in the first round.

• Like 3

My apologies if this has already been shared. CBS Sports ranked the play of all the QBs in preseason so far. Here is their take on Richardson.

Everyone expected the supersized athlete to find mixed results once his raw game hit the NFL, and that was true against the Bills, with Richardson flinging an ugly pick off his back foot before rebounding with a beauty of a bomb that should've been hauled in for a score.

Finishing 7 of 12 for 67 yards while teasing his mobility, he proved something vital: his unteachable traits are elite. If Indianapolis can ensure the first-round Florida product keeps growing as a decision-maker, look out.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-preseason-ranking-14-rookie-qb-debuts-headlined-by-browns-dorian-thompson-robinson/

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They were given the chance to play longer and they did not face the #1 defenses. The QBs drafted in the first round did not play much and did not throw as many passes as the guys drafted later. For example, Bennett threw 29 times and Clayton Tune had 23 pass attempts. I think Richardson had the most passes (12) among the ones drafted in the first round.

He wasn't bring overly critical. High picks go to bad teams

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Chris Simms had a somewhat different take.  Thinks AR could turn into a special player.  It took Allen three years to arrive.  He thinks AR has better players around him in his rookie year.  He is amazed at his quick and decisive release.  He mentioned Cam held onto the ball too long.  AR played only 29 snaps against a strong defense.  He was impressed with his first start.

He just said as a player, AR and Allan are very similar. Big, powerful, and strong arms with accuracy issues. He said u have to build the offense around their skill set. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He just said as a player, AR and Allan are very similar. Big, powerful, and strong arms with accuracy issues. He said u have to build the offense around their skill set. 

I agree. I remember Allen at the Senior Bowl. He was throwing missiles 50+ yards down the field. He threw some inaccurate passes, but he left many saying, "Wow".

2 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

So you're saying our 3 starters and top backup are good, but there's a dropoff after that?  Welcome to modern football.  That's a better position than 80% of this league.  Most of the time there will only be 2 linebackers on the field anyways.

First and foremost... Leonard is still a big question mark. Won't surprise me if he misses time or does not ever return to his old form.

I don't think any one here would consider Stuard our "top backup". 

As far as I know Stuard has never played at LB, for our defense, during a regular season game. He looked ok in the pre season Bills game the other day, but he has always been strictly considered a ST player. at 5'11" he is undersized too. So I am certainly not sold on him if needed.

Nobody knows anything about Dorman. a walk on rookie last year. He also never played in a game either, to my knowledge

The other LBs we have on the roster all look like scrubs... So yes, I am concerned.