Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign former 49ers DE Samson Ebukam

Tsarquise

3 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

But he lead our sorry arses in sacks :lol:

And he was a major contributor in converting a top 10 rush defense in 2021 into a bottom 10 rush defense in 2022 - which is why I agree that Ebukam is an upgrade over Ngakoue - but he isn't much better in that department unfortunately - I hope I'm wrong on this, but I don't like that signing. Not for that price and not with better options available still.

6 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

And he was a major contributor in converting a top 10 rush defense in 2021 into a bottom 10 rush defense in 2022 - which is why I agree that Ebukam is an upgrade over Ngakoue - but he isn't much better in that department unfortunately - I hope I'm wrong on this, but I don't like that signing. Not for that price and not with better options available still.

I notice you couldn't name a better option that we were sure to be able to come here for the $ that we would pay.  Don’t be a joke.

17 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Free agency started like 8 minutes ago…..jeeeezush some of y’all are never satisfied 

He had a whole offseason last year where he did little next to nothing after letting several starting OL players go besides drafting an ill prepared 3rd round rookie. I have precedence to believe he might just do that again for the CB group after he has let the #1 and #2 CBs go as well (albeit Rodgers is better then Facyson). He lost the benefit of the doubt a while ago imho.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I notice you couldn't name a better option that we were sure to be able to come here for the $ that we would pay.  Don’t be a joke.

I couldn't? Who was asking? Obviously you're never "sure" a guy would come here but Marcus Davenport went to the Vikings just yesterday - 1 year deal for 13 million, Ebukam reportedly got 11 in year 1, so comparable compensation. And Davenport is a much better run defender and rusher than Ebukam. It's not like there aren't other options. I liked that Ballard usually didn't overpay for the non-elite FAs - Ebukam is a solid player, but not a guy who should earn 10 million a year

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s Ngakoue replacement.

Looks like it for the money paid. I liked him when he was with the Rams, was highly efficient with his pass rushing, same with 49ers. Always played on star studded DL with the Rams and 49ers, not a 3 down player by any means.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Looks like it for the money paid. I liked him when he was with the Rams, was highly efficient with his pass rushing, same with 49ers.

Yeah I am on board with it.  I like Paye and Dayo starting and having Samson and Lewis as depth.  Ngakoue is always good for 8 to 10 sacks but most of them come in situations where they don’t really matter.

If we don't sign anyone some cry then when Ballard does you criticize n whine jeeeeez this is s good signing 27 just coming into prime it's a great deal look at pressures had best season 5 sacks and not playing all time only going get better. The contract is structured to be beneficial to both parties. Opinions are ine thing but non sense and lack of commense is another !! We probably get fa corner and I'm sure we draft a couple! Good and bad I'm colts fan since 1960 ! Go colts ! Go Ballard and Go to our new head coach ! It's 2 days in for sake !!!!!!

Just now, coltsfan40 said:

If we don't sign anyone some cry then when Ballard does you criticize n whine jeeeeez this is s good signing 27 just coming into prime it's a great deal look at pressures had best season 5 sacks and not playing all time only going get better. The contract is structured to be beneficial to both parties. Opinions are ine thing but non sense and lack of commense is another !! We probably get fa corner and I'm sure we draft a couple! Good and bad I'm colts fan since 1960 ! Go colts ! Go Ballard and Go to our new head coach ! It's 2 days in for sake !!!!!!

Yeah several people are here just to complain no matter what he does.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I am on board with it.  I like Paye and Dayo starting and having Samson and Lewis as depth.  Ngakoue is always good for 8 to 10 sacks but most of them come in situations where they don’t really matter.

This guy got 5 sacks consistently when you had guys like Robert Quinn and Dante Fowler Jr. with the Rams at the edges, and similarly Nick Bosa and others with the 49ers. So, he will have a chance for a few more reps here, IMO, and might get us the same 8-10 sacks. I definitely like this signing. 

42 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Nice depth move. The DL group is looking good. CB group is horrid though. And we haven't done anything in the OL yet...

Yeah, it’s a depth move he only had 3.5 sacks last season and no more than 4.5 in any season in his career. Where Ngakoue had 9.5 last season and as many as 12 in a season. 

Just now, Derakynn said:

7th highest pass rush win rate last year. Not like he is some total chump. Looks like a good move to me for not too much money. 

Yep, super efficient with his pass rushing. The biggest key this year will be whether we force enough 3rd and longs because we won't have the secondary helping the DL, it would have to be the other way with the DL expected to hurry the OL and QB.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah several people are here just to complain no matter what he does.

If that's directed at me I invite you to find a single post of mine where I complain about Ballard not signing a guy or about any FA signing other than Ngakoue last year and Ebukam this year, go ahead. I get where Ballard is coming from in principle, but evaluating DEs is definitely not his strong suit...

1 minute ago, PureLuck said:

If that's directed at me I invite you to find a single post of mine where I complain about Ballard not signing a guy or about any FA signing other than Ngakoue last year and Ebukam this year, go ahead. I get where Ballard is coming from in principle, but evaluating DEs is definitely not his strong suit...

Well first I said several so it wasn’t directed at one person in particular.  Second, if you don’t think it applies to you because you aren’t doing it then I am probably not talking about you.

12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

What if Ebukam isn't a replacement for Ngakue?  What if we sign both Ebukam and Ngakue?  And have Paye and Odeyingbo as well?  And have a refreshed rotation of -- oh -- everyone?

There isn’t the money for that.   It’s hard to see that happening.  

29 minutes ago, coltsfan40 said:

Can we like a post twice?

Archived