Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign former 49ers DE Samson Ebukam

Tsarquise

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

There isn’t the money for that.   It’s hard to see that happening.  

There’s always ways to find money. Ballard can probably move things around and clear 40-50 million more . 

if the Saints who last year managed to clear over 68 million dollars with only cutting a couple lower tier players, Ballard who hasn’t touched those avenues yet, could easily find the coin if he really wanted too

He started 15 game for the 49ers defense - second on the team in sacks behind a reallllllly good end on the other side. He was second in tackles for losses and third in quarterback hits. I'd much rather have him than the guy we had last year, who always seem to make plays when the game was over and almost never when we needed a play to close out a win. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

There’s always ways to find money. Ballard can probably move things around and clear 40-50 million more . 

if the Saints who last year managed to clear over 68 million dollars with only cutting a couple lower tier players, Ballard who hasn’t touched those avenues yet, could easily find the coin if he really wanted too

Look at what he’s done this year.  Almost nothing to cut and clear space.   Look at his track record.   Has he ever done that before?   Not to my knowledge.   

Could he do it?   Sure.  But is it likely based on history and what he’s done in 2023?   Not so far.  

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

"We'll see" said the Zen Master -- Charlie Wilson's War

A favorite movie of mine!   Bravo!   :thmup:

Contract details coming in

Basically around $11M in cash in 2023, but cap hit is probably around $5.3M

Then (before incentives), around $7.7M in 2024 and $11M in 2025.

With him having the ability to earn an extra $3M total if he reaches sack escalators and playing time/playoff escalators. 

To have numbers that look like the following is a really reasonable get. Especially with those out-year cap numbers likely jumping:

2023: $5.3M

2023: $7.7M (with incentives making it up to $8.7)

2024: $11.0M (with incentives making it up to $13.0M)

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at what he’s done this year.  Almost nothing to cut and clear space.   Look at his track record.   Has he ever done that before?   Not to my knowledge.   

Could he do it?   Sure.  But is it likely based on history and what he’s done in 2023?   Not so far.  

A favorite movie of mine!   Bravo!   :thmup:

I think he’d do it only in the right circumstances. As all it does is give you a one year reprieve and then you’re back in cap hell the next year. I’m just saying he could if he truly needed or wanted too

5 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

With him having the ability to earn an extra $3M total if he reaches sack escalators and playing time/playoff escalators. 

To have numbers that look like the following is a really reasonable get. Especially with those out-year cap numbers likely jumping:

That’s a great deal 

5 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I absolutely love the per game active roster bonus. I hope more contracts are written in like that in the future. 

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah several people are here just to complain no matter what he does.

Maybe it’s because they won four games last year and these moves (signing a kicker and trading Gilmore) are not improving the team.  Signing Ebukam is not a difference maker either I don’t think. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think he’d do it only in the right circumstances. As all it does is give you a one year reprieve and then you’re back in cap hell the next year. I’m just saying he could if he truly needed or wanted too

For me the right time is when you think you have a shot at a championship.  Since we are more in a rebuild mode right now I would wait to play the funny money game until later.

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Seems like a solid replacement for Ngakoue, at a cheaper rate as well.

With this being a 3-year deal, we can probably move ER down the draft board this year, but you never know with Ballard.

there are a few god Edge Rushers that can be had in the second - third round I expect them to potentially take one then. 

17 hours ago, colts89 said:

He had a whole offseason last year where he did little next to nothing after letting several starting OL players go besides drafting an ill prepared 3rd round rookie. I have precedence to believe he might just do that again for the CB group after he has let the #1 and #2 CBs go as well (albeit Rodgers is better then Facyson). He lost the benefit of the doubt a while ago imho.

He lost the benefit of doubt? You know he receives input from the coaching staff and scouts on the draft, free agency and trade decisions. I can tell a lot of people have never worked in a think tank type environment where the superior ACTUALLY uses the input of his subordinates to help make decisions.

Frank Reich wanted Rivers, Wentz and Ryan - he was trusted with that input and when he didn't make it work he was fired.

Chris Strausser undoubtably gave his input on the LT and RG positions and the drafting of Raimann (who turned into a good pick) and he was let go as well, in part, due to his recommendations that did not pan out.

Having said that, he has the final say so but when you build a team of individuals that you trust then you tend to take their input as the gospel - until it no longer is trustworthy.

You can blame him if you want but I will not because I trust the subordinates that I have to make good choices and good decisions because I hired them and/or mentored them myself!

Rated out as a top notch athlete - Yannick's RAS was 5.89 in comparison.

Career PFF Grades

2017 - 66.3 with 2 sacks

2018 - 63 with 3 sacks

2019 - 66.8 with 5 sacks

2020 - 56.9 with 5 sacks

2021 - 66.8 with 6 sacks

2022 - 69.1 with 5 sacks

Yannick in comparison

2017 - 87.3 with 13 sacks

2018 - 72.7 with 10 sacks

2019 - 72 with 8 sacks

2020 - 70 with 7 sacks

2021 - 47.2 with 10 sacks

2022 - 51.4 with 12 sacks

So, the new guy has been pretty steady as a back-up pass rusher while Yannick has gradually gone downhill - and as a few astute posters on here have pointed out that many of his sacks are of the garbage variety against bad teams or in non-impact situations. Can't say anything about Samson but the 49ers fans are quite upset at losing him!

Archived