Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1/10 Ballard End of Season Presser

Bravo

6 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I did not like that Ballard said he's ok waiting into February to sign the HC.

By waiting too long, he should remember, it took a long time with McDaniels, and then he backed out, after all the other good candidates were gone.

Teams are in the playoffs so someone like demeco ryans who will draw interest in the HC spot....they have to wait until they're not playing anymore especially if they make the superbowl....no need to rush this process

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been very critical of Ballard throughout the season for the roster and the structure of the team.  I’ve said many times the blame rests with him as well as the performance in large part on Frank’s shoulders for being too soft and not demanding effort.  

Ballard has routinely over the years been smug about his position and borderline arrogant in defensive of his choices, decisions and vision.  Today, I saw a man who was humbled.  Admittedly apologize for his failures, that he openly owned.

I saw a different man in the presser and any man/women/child that owns their mistakes, states change will occur and admits they are largely to blame deserves a chance to fix the failures.  It’s not my team or decision but, I’m going to step back, shut up and give him a chance.  

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Teams are in the playoffs so someone like demeco ryans who will draw interest in the HC spot....they have to wait until they're not playing anymore especially if they make the superbowl....no need to rush this process

Is Demeco brining that talent on  defense e with him? Just another Saleh. We need a coach who can develop a qb. Don't believe me? Look no farther than the Jags and see what Pederson has done. 

27 minutes ago, joecolts said:

I’ve been very critical of Ballard throughout the season for the roster and the structure of the team.  I’ve said many times the blame rests with him as well as the performance in large part on Frank’s shoulders for being too soft and not demanding effort.  

Ballard has routinely over the years been smug about his position and borderline arrogant in defensive of his choices, decisions and vision.  Today, I saw a man who was humbled.  Admittedly apologize for his failures, that he openly owned.

I saw a different man in the presser and any man/women/child that owns their mistakes, states change will occur and admits they are largely to blame deserves a chance to fix the failures.  It’s not my team or decision but, I’m going to step back, shut up and give him a chance.  

Fair enough. Let's see which candidates he recommends to Irsay, how FA and the draft goes.

25 minutes ago, joecolts said:

So  he is cocky and u saw it when questioned about the wr room and his starting LT and now he has discovered how to be humble? U see Ballard is the opposite of Wentz. Wentz needed to make more layups and Ballard need to make more big plays . In big plays I am referring to big hits in the draft. Ballard just continues to make the safe lay up.

30 minutes ago, joecolts said:

I’ve been very critical of Ballard throughout the season for the roster and the structure of the team. I’ve said many times the blame rests with him as well as the performance in large part on Frank’s shoulders for being too soft and not demanding effort.  

Ballard has routinely over the years been smug about his position and borderline arrogant in defensive of his choices, decisions and vision. Today, I saw a man who was humbled. Admittedly apologize for his failures, that he openly owned.

I saw a different man in the presser and any man/women/child that owns their mistakes, states change will occur and admits they are largely to blame deserves a chance to fix the failures. It’s not my team or decision but, I’m going to step back, shut up and give him a chance.  

So Ballard gave Wentz a year and then ditched him and Ballard expects  another and that's  7 in total? Wow

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

I feel taylor would be harder to replace than pittman. There are an army of pittmans out there. What we need at wr is the next marvin harrison or reggie wayne or ty hilton. 

Hmmm.  Marvin and Reggie had Manning. Reggie and TY had Luck (for a bit).  Just a thought.

47 minutes ago, joecolts said:

I agree.  We will find out after the draft and FA signing period if he is truly going to change his approach.

Just finally listened...

• Didn't expect silver bullets. Expected him to accept criticism.
  • Didn't throw anyone under the bus, not shocked...
  • Talked about a new QB every year was tough... only thing I can read into.... we'll draft a QB and we're over with patch work QBs. 
  • Talked about the loss of draft capital last year (Wentz trade), stopped us from drafting a QB, but QB class wasn't great.... 
  • Irsay will make the final call on new HC... 
  • Mentioned that we couldn't make wholesale changes (scheme, personnel) at mid-season... Wholesale changes happen in April.... 
  • Said what I expected about Raimann. Great improvement, but needs to get stronger. Guessing he'll get shot at LT, but will be monitored during the offseason (S&C).
  • Enjoyed the short WR1 vs WR2 conversation. IMO, he understands true X-WRs aren't typically WR1s, and Pitt is a great X-WR, but not really a WR1. Our scheme focused on big WRs, so will be interesting what we do at WR in the off season. And more interesting about HC/Scheme.... 
  • If Ballard was going to be fired.... doubt he'd be doing this... And said he'd be leading the HC search (again, Irsay had final call)... Except a situation where the new HC wants a specific GM, Ballard is staying... 
  • We'd look at CFB candidates for HC. Didn't catch the specific comment, but thought he played down experience (NFL HC).

In short, will be interesting how the new HC impacts strategy on personnel and scheme.... 

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I agree. Difference is I'd still pay Pittman 18m/yr. I wouldn't pay JT that kind of money. Positional value.

JT is a spectacular game changing special player. Pittman is a solid, but unspectacular WR.  Imho JT is FAR more valuable.

54 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

JT is a spectacular game changing special player. Pittman is a solid, but unspectacular WR.  Imho JT is FAR more valuable.

JT has had ONE good season. Let’s see a bit more from him before we pay him anything, yes?

In todays NFL WR > RB. That’s just the way it is. 

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

JT has had ONE good season. Let’s see a bit more from him before we pay him anything, yes?

JT was stellar in the 2nd half of his rookie year, once Reich finally committed to him, JT was a superstar in his 2nd year, and JT started off great, but then suffered from horrible scheme and play calling and poor OL play, yet he still flashed large in several games, until his season was undone by the lingering ankle injury.  I have seen enough to know that he is a game changing super star RB!  My eyes do not lie about what I see in JT.

Interesting, today on Sirius XM Moving The Chains, Pat Kirwin said he analyzed this years playoff teams to see what is in common that makes all these contenders successful and he said the common thread is a dual threat RB that brings it in the receiving game and a TE threat that is heavily used.

Colts have the dual threat game changing RB in JT … and with better offensive scheme, they might have the TE part of the equation in Jelani Woods and or Drew Ogeltree.  Obviously the other missing link is a QB.  Point is, JT gets the money! He is far more of game changing impact player on offence than Pittman.

19 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

JT was stellar in the 2nd half of his rookie year, once Reich finally committed to him, JT was a superstar in his 2nd year, and JT started off great, but then suffered from horrible scheme and play calling and poor OL play, yet he still flashed large in several games, until his season was undone by the lingering ankle injury.  I have seen enough to know that he is a game changing super star RB!  My eyes do not lie about what I see in JT.

Interesting, today on Sirius XM Moving The Chains, Pat Kirwin said he analyzed this years playoff teams to see what is in common that makes all these contenders successful and he said the common thread is a dual threat RB that brings it in the receiving game and a TE threat that is heavily used.

Colts have the dual threat game changing RB in JT … and with better offensive scheme, they might have the TE part of the equation in Jelani Woods and or Drew Ogeltree.  Obviously the other missing link is a QB.  Point is, JT gets the money! He is far more of game changing impact player on offence than Pittman.

I agree was picked after pittman and scores more than pittman

30 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

RBs are less valuable these years. I'm not high on huge 2nd contracts, and IMO, most are most dependent on OLs and schemes.

But it's pretty obvious that JT is great/elite with a decent good OL.  At minimum, top 10 if not top 5. 

And JT was much much better after Saturday came. He had one game over 80 yards and only 1 TD before Saturday. After, every game was 80+, and 3 TDs, in 4 games... Either health was key, or Saturday's focus... or both... 

So not saying we should give him a top NFL RB contract. But if healthy, he's top 5. If he wants to chase #1 pay, I'm good with trading for the right capital.... But if the new HC, or the new scheme, shows him vital, we'll likely pay. I don't see long term issues with health given his use at Wiscy or Indy until this year. 

I'll be honest, I didn't and still haven't watched the press conference. I used to love watching Ballard's pressers and would always make time to watch them. Now they aren't worth my time. He's going to regurgitate the same old garbage he says after every year he has a losing season. 

The difference is we have the 4th overall pick and we almost have to draft a QB. Actions speak louder than words. So we'll see if Ballard sinks or swims.

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

"Colts have the dual threat game changing RB in JT"

Do we though? Last year, JT's best year, he had 40 receptions.

2022:

Austin Ekeler - 107 receptions

Christian McCaffrey - 85 combined receptions

Leonard Fournette - 73 receptions

Joe Mixon - 60 receptions

I'm not even including JT's number this year because of his injuries. JT isn't a true dual threat RB. He's a RB who gets dump-off targets.

I won't dispute he's a great runner, with a decent OIine. But he's not a dual threat RB and shouldn't be paid top dollar because of it. I'd much rather have Ekeler or McCaffrey (if he can stay healthy).

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

RBs are less valuable these years. I'm not high on huge 2nd contracts, and IMO, most are most dependent on OLs and schemes.

But it's pretty obvious that JT is great/elite with a decent good OL.  At minimum, top 10 if not top 5. 

And JT was much much better after Saturday came. He had one game over 80 yards and only 1 TD before Saturday. After, every game was 80+, and 3 TDs, in 4 games... Either health was key, or Saturday's focus... or both... 

So not saying we should give him a top NFL RB contract. But if healthy, he's top 5. If he wants to chase #1 pay, I'm good with trading for the right capital.... But if the new HC, or the new scheme, shows him vital, we'll likely pay. I don't see long term issues with health given his use at Wiscy or Indy until this year. 

I'm not saying he isn't a great runner, because he is, when he has a decent+ Oline. I think he is. But top RBs are legitimate threats in the passing game and JT just isn't. He can't pass block and he a dump-off target in the passing game.

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I'm not saying he isn't a great runner, because he is, when he has a decent+ Oline. I think he is. But top RBs are legitimate threats in the passing game and JT just isn't. He can't pass block and he a dump-off target in the passing game.

I think JT would benefit quite a bit if he was schemed into the offense other than hand offs up the middle. I agree his blocking is weak so why keep trying? We all know what he can do in the open field. 

Frank's play calling had become stale and lacked vision.  

16 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Give Kelly little more time.  He was at the lowest point of his life not long ago.  Time will heal him up.   It takes time to recharge batteries from such a tragic & draining event

Kelly has been regressing for three years straight now.  We’re all sorry about his loss but he’s no longer even a top 20 center in this league. The regression started in 2020. It’s time to move on there. 

Ballard did an excellent job of covering for his boss’ meddling during the press conference. 

After reading Zak Keefer’s article in the Athletic it reaffirmed that I was good at giving Ballard a shot at taking a swing at a young QB this year.  For the most part, I think he’s done a good job drafting.  I want to see what he does with this draft. 

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

"Colts have the dual threat game changing RB in JT"

Do we though? Last year, JT's best year, he had 40 receptions.

2022:

Austin Ekeler - 107 receptions

Christian McCaffrey - 85 combined receptions

Leonard Fournette - 73 receptions

Joe Mixon - 60 receptions

I'm not even including JT's number this year because of his injuries. JT isn't a true dual threat RB. He's a RB who gets dump-off targets.

I won't dispute he's a great runner, with a decent OIine. But he's not a dual threat RB and shouldn't be paid top dollar because of it. I'd much rather have Ekeler or McCaffrey (if he can stay healthy).

The issue is the Colts kept stealing receptions away from JT by using Hines.  To my eyes, JT was always better than Hines, even as a receiver.  Now with Hines gone, no reason JT should not see his reception numbers go from 40-ish to well into the 60s. JT is a dual threat that was underused in the passing games because of the stubborn practice of replacing him with Hines. JT is a game breaker and using him more in the passing game, getting him in space more often, the offence will become much more lethal.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In short, will be interesting how the new HC impacts strategy on personnel and scheme.... 

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I see these comments as tying together.  Ballard is charged with hiring a new HC (with Irsay making the final call).  Obviously, Ballard will tend to be attracted to a HC/OC that shares his vision for the offense.  The HC doesn't dictate scheme to Ballard.   Ballard sets the scheme for the O by hiring the coach (thereby when he gets players for the HC, he's actually getting the players HE wants because he's the one that hired the coach).  Unless Ballard is simply agnostic to scheme.

The presser confirms what some of us know, Ballard is not agnostic.  Ballard said that he will make adjustment to his roster thinking, but that he still believes in being solid up front.  Later, when asked the astute question of whether a team can afford to pay a RB in this League, he responded by saying that JT is a special player and that you pay special players (what he also said about Nelson and Leonard).  He had a lesser commitment to Pittman.

So it seems that Ballard will devote capital to the oline and RB positions on a greater percentage than another team who might say "you win with playmakers at the QB and receiver positions."  I would expect any HC to play to his roster strengths, so if Ballard believes in allocating capital to the way he implied he would, then the OC should be calling a lot of run.run.pass play sequences.   A run-first offense.  And such a HC/OC will be hired.   (Why some people think Harbaugh is a good fit with Ballard).

Do you need to devote pick 4 to a QB who will turn around and hand it to the expensive RB, and throw the ball to tall receivers who have a large catch radius and can make contested catches while running possession routes?  Selecting the QB high and paying the RB high seems inconsistent to me.

His coaching hire should tell us more about where he wants to take the offense, and what players he will then be getting for his HC.  I hope he understands how to get players for whatever scheme the HC wants (and he approves), and breaks away from getting "really good players no matter where they play".  His presser didn't give me a lot of comfort.

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

JT is a dual threat that was underused in the passing games because of the stubborn practice of replacing him with Hines. 

Agree 100% :

Last three years, 2020, 2021, 2022 .......... comparing apples to apples -

Hines:    40 games    targets: 161 / 128 rec = 80% catch ratio     980 yds.   7.7 yds. per catch    long 36 yds   

Taylor:    43 games    targets:  130 / 104 rec = 80% catch ratio     802 yds.   7.7 yds. per catch    long 76 yds    

Also he seems to not get what being aggressive is. When they asked him about being conservative he said they traded for Buckner, Wentz, and Ryan. I thought that was funny.

You traded a 1st for an already proven DT who was a cap casualty, a conditional 2nd and third for Wentz who had played at a high level Once, and a 3rd for Ryan who was past his prime. Aggressive is doing what the Bears, 49ers, Bills, and Chiefs have done in recent years for their QB’s.

13 hours ago, joecolts said:

I won't shut up haha, but you are right that we are going to have to give him a chance.

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll be honest, I didn't and still haven't watched the press conference. I used to love watching Ballard's pressers and would always make time to watch them. Now they aren't worth my time. He's going to regurgitate the same old garbage he says after every year he has a losing season. 

The difference is we have the 4th overall pick and we almost have to draft a QB. Actions speak louder than words. So we'll see if Ballard sinks or swims.

You may want to watch it. He was much more humble and open about mistakes he's made. Still a bunch of GM speak on certain topics that he honestly shouldn't tip his hand on, but I'd say it's worth watching. I wouldn't expect you to walk away from it saying "Hell yea Ballard! Let's goooooo!!!!!!", but I think it will at least give you a better perspective.

40 minutes ago, Shive said:

You may want to watch it. He was much more humble and open about mistakes he's made. Still a bunch of GM speak on certain topics that he honestly shouldn't tip his hand on, but I'd say it's worth watching. I wouldn't expect you to walk away from it saying "Hell yea Ballard! Let's goooooo!!!!!!", but I think it will at least give you a better perspective.

Maybe it does, but how in the world could he not come out to those hyenas with a plan to immediately defuse them?  He needed to really go the humble route with this one or there would be a tremendous amount of pushback in his face which would lead to tougher questions and unscripted answers. 

He did okay, but also showed signs of his stubbornness and that still worries me.  One thing that I really want him to start utilizing is franchise tags and 5th year options.  Ballard likes to deem his draft picks stars before they reach the end of their rookie deals and I think that has negatively impacted the hunger of our roster.  We could have saved some major dough if we let Q, DL, Smith, Kelly play out their rookie deals before resigning.  

His answer about JT worries me, but I liked his accountability in messing up the o-line.  Overestimating Kelly, Nelson and Smith's ability to carry two unknown players was a mistake and he owned that. I liked his hesitation on deeming Pittman a WR1, but disliked his failure to explicitly state that we need a young QB and would like to take one this year.  Everyone knows it, just say it.  You may be surprised about how often transparency can give you leverage in certain situations, even in football semantics.  

17 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Ballard passed up who from that list?

Well, if his immediate goal was to get a QB (Which it should have been after Luck left), he could have made a play for about 8 of those players on the list. Nobody forced him to trade the 13th pick for Buckner instead of a QB.

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Is Demeco brining that talent on  defense e with him? Just another Saleh. We need a coach who can develop a qb. Don't believe me? Look no farther than the Jags and see what Pederson has done. 

Pederson isn't doing it by himself he has a whole team....offensive coordinator, qb coach...assistants....one person doesn't make the staff better

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

The issue is the Colts kept stealing receptions away from JT by using Hines.  To my eyes, JT was always better than Hines, even as a receiver.  Now with Hines gone, no reason JT should not see his reception numbers go from 40-ish to well into the 60s. JT is a dual threat that was underused in the passing games because of the stubborn practice of replacing him with Hines. JT is a game breaker and using him more in the passing game, getting him in space more often, the offence will become much more lethal.

I don’t agree he’s a dual threat RB. I know Hines got some targets that could have gone to JT, but besides volume it’s also about how sure his hands are. 

A new scheme could possibly change it a bit, but he just not a dual threat RB to me. 

33 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t agree he’s a dual threat RB. I know Hines got some targets that could have gone to JT, but besides volume it’s also about how sure his hands are. 

A new scheme could possibly change it a bit, but he just not a dual threat RB to me. 

JT averages 7.7 yards per catch.  He has 104 catches and 3 TDs. Getting him the ball in the open field would be a very good idea. 

43 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

JT’s “hands” looked to be just as good as most receiving RBs to me, plus he is WAY above average once the ball gets into his hands, especially in space.  Honestly, if JT is not a duel threat, then who is?

It is all about scheme, play calling, & execution. Assuming the new Colts OC is a competent improvement, you’ll see. 

Archived