Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1/10 Ballard End of Season Presser

Bravo

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Something I absolutely hate in this Ballard presser - he continues emphasizing the importance of the interior. He said you pay RB if he's special. He said Pittman is a good player but seemed much less effusive with his praise toward Pittman. 

I fully expect Ballard to trade/let go Pittman and give 18M to JT. In other words he continues with the same emphasis - give big money to the wrong positions - interior OL and DL, LBs, RB... let CBs and WRs go... This is just the complete opposite to how you build a modern NFL team. :( 

I got the exact same feeling from him. Hasn't learned bupkis about team building and positional value.

Overall he said a lot of the right things and took responsibility for it. I hope he has time to truly reflect on his failures thus far. If not, nothing will change.

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I mean pittman isnt exactly a super star wr. Higgins, brown, mclaurin,hill diggs,adams,metcalf, and several others are better than him. Heck I think pierce will be better than him

I agree. Difference is I'd still pay Pittman 18m/yr. I wouldn't pay JT that kind of money. Positional value.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Sure he can. He gets to keep his job and still has the endorsement of the owner. Unless Irsay has mandated that he draft a QB, we know how Ballard feels about the process. He has a history of acquiring re-treads, and there could potentially be an abundance of  retreads to choose from. We also know that he loves draft picks. With the right trade partner he could turn the #4 pick into multiple  draft picks. He has given us no reason to believe that he won't do the same things he has done all along.

I think the only way Ballard doesn't trade up or draft a guy at 4 is if they feel the top 3 QBs aren't that much better than a McKee or Richardson. Or even Hooker. And I think I'd be happy with an answer like that. But we have to take a QB in the first 2 rounds.

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Be curious if we continue the "With the Next Pick" series this year. In customary Ballard Poker Face fashion, he left all options open during his interview. He could trade up, stay put or even trade back. Nothing is certain. 

Oh.  Good call.  It will be  fun offseason!

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I agree. Difference is I'd still pay Pittman 18m/yr. I wouldn't pay JT that kind of money. Positional value.

Agree.  A rookie Qb needs TWO receivers more than he needs a big play RB...especially one that's not great at pass blocking.   JT will still leave us with plenty of 3rd downs and the QB will need Pitt and a pass blocker.  

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

He said he thinks Ryan is a true professional and that he thinks he can still play. He didn’t say for what team though. ;) I think he was just being nice.

I read the presser as Ballard saying that Matt still has some play left in his body...and kind of took some time to find those words.  Not a ringing endorsement, IMO.   He was more spry when talking about rookie QBs.

39 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i called it!!!

image.gif.64bee11cce1e113eb67c3569cb2c146c.gif

People make mistakes. I’m happy he owned up to it at least….This draft and free agency period will be his most critical yet. If he stumbles and it goes to hell next year  people will riot. Pretty simple 

Just now, adubb84 said:

image.gif.64bee11cce1e113eb67c3569cb2c146c.gif

People make mistakes. I’m happy he owned up to it at least….This draft and free agency period will be his most critical yet. If those goes to hell people will riot. 

I have been a fan since 1984 and I can honestly say this may be the most critical year for decision making. We need the right QB and right coach. 

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think the only way Ballard doesn't trade up or draft a guy at 4 is if they feel the top 3 QBs aren't that much better than a McKee or Richardson. Or even Hooker. And I think I'd be happy with that answer like that. But we have to take a QB in the first 2 rounds.

I feel like it is a lock he is trading up to #1 after that press conference but otherwise i agree with you.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agree.  A rookie Qb needs TWO receivers more than he needs a big play RB...especially one that's not great at pass blocking.   JT will still leave us with plenty of 3rd downs and the QB will need Pitt and a pass blocker.  

I agree. But, it's also about a young QB not getting any better if he constantly hands it off to the RB. Thus two good+ WRs than one and a RB.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been a fan since 1984 and I can honestly say this may be the most critical year for decision making. We need the right QB and right coach. 

Absolutely. IMO this feels bigger than the year we drafted Luck. It’s not far fetched to ponder if we are on the precipice of a complete colapse for YEARS if we don’t nail the QB and Head Coach selections. I really hope Irsay lets Ballard do his work and course correct the ship. 

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

The meaning of life

Nick Offerman Smile GIF

Just now, adubb84 said:

Absolutely. IMO this feels bigger than the year we drafted Luck. It’s not far fetched to ponder if we are on the precipice of a complete colapse for YEARS if we don’t nail the QB and Head Coach selections. I really hope Irsay lets Ballard do his work and course correct the ship. 

If we don't nail this it will be curtains but if we nail it, it could be good times for the next 10 years.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I think the only way Ballard doesn't trade up or draft a guy at 4 is if they feel the top 3 QBs aren't that much better than a McKee or Richardson. Or even Hooker. And I think I'd be happy with that answer like that. But we have to take a QB in the first 2 rounds.

I agree we should draft a QB in the top 4 but I am not convinced Ballard believes this. He even indicated that the team could have to play with a QB who is not elite. I am assuming he was talking about the draft there but he could have meant overall. He could trade that #4 pick and collect a bunch of extra draft picks. Meanwhile, he could peruse free agency or the trade market for names like: Carr, Brady, Rodgers, Garoppolo, Lance, Purdy (Niners will likely keep 1 or 2 of these guys), Jackson, Brissett, and the big name that I am hearing will be available again is Carson Wentz.  I technically think that Wentz would be considered re-tread/re-tread. How will Ballard resist all these temptations if he feels none of the QB's in this year's draft are elite?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we don't nail this it will be curtains but if we nail it, it could be good times for the next 10 years.

Exactly! I’ve never been this anxious going into the off season. Normally we have at least one of the answers already on the team. We have zero. 

5 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Nick Offerman Smile GIF

Can Ballard course-correct this ship? I have not seen evidence of that in his six years as captain.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It would be a huge mistake to give JT an Ezekiel Elliot contract.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could take a LT at #4 and trade this years 2nd rounder and next years 1st rounder for Aaron Rodgers, release Matt, I know pile on me now lmao 

So you are saying there's still a chance we could go the band-aid, retread route? Careful, CB could be taking notes. :facepalm::Cry:

10 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Fields just led his team to the worse

record in football 

I'm starting to change my mind about Fields.

He may not have it between the ears to run a pro style offense.

That is the danger with Stroud too.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

So you are saying there's still a chance we could go the band-aid, retread route? Careful, CB could be taking notes. :facepalm::Cry:

There's no way we can gain any insight into our plan with Pick 4.  No GM in their mind is going to show their hand like that.  Take everything anyone in this thread has to say about anything regarding that with a grain of salt. 

the most important part is the accountability ballard took and the acknowledgement of failure, and his concession that the philosophy regarding roster building tactics (outside of the lines) will be looked at to change. 

Archived