Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1/10 Ballard End of Season Presser

Bravo

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Any talk of possible coaches and all creampuff questions from press? Any tough questions?

Everyone will get evaluated and put through an equal vetting process including Jeff

There was some TOUGH questions and he fumbled a bit over them. The most telling was a question about him wanting to be in Indy still and paused for a good minute before answering and mentioned there isn’t a transfer portal and he won’t run away from a problem. He likes it here and is determined to get this things right. 

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RollerColt said:

I'm sure Chris knows this: 2nd chances in the NFL don't happen often with the same team. He has a big opportunity to turn things around, change and learn from past mistakes. 

If it is a rookie QB, he definitely gets 2 more years, IMO.

Some notes about what Ballard said:

How did it get this way, question?

• The plan from a roster standpoint wasn't good enough
  • Expectations were too high.  We get a vet QB, now we're going to the SB.
  • Getting the Vet QBs were on me.

Attitude:

• We lost our competitive confidence.  When the game got harder, we melted down.

Roster

• Our best players need to play better (he said this several times and I think he was talking about Nelson.  Had great things to say about Buckner
  • I still believe that you have to be great up front, but I learned some things about the rest.
  • Overestimated the level to which new LTs and RGs could just blend with three other good players.
  • Going the rookie QB route was best accomplished in 2020 instead of trading for Buck, but liked the Buck trade
  • Seemed to express a desire to sign JT because he's a special player...not down play him because he's a RB (said same thing about Nelson before he signed Nelson,,,being a special player overrides positions)
  • Did not say the same thing about Pittman.  Not disparaging, just not as positive as JT.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

A+ from Ballard.  Didn't get defensive -  criticism is warranted. 

Gotta hire a coach, find a QB and reset.  Nothing else you can do.

Agreed. No idea if it was the disastrous Jeff Saturday pres-conference yesterday or the last Irsay showing, but Ballard in contrast seems sooo much better put together and polished with the media. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Some thoughts about what Ballard said:

How did it get this way, question?

• The plan from a roster standpoint wasn't good enough
  • Expectations were too high.  We get a vet QB, now we're going to the SB.
  • Getting the Vet QBs were on me.

Attitude:

• We lost our competitive confidence.  When the game got harder, we melted down.

Roster

• Our best players need to play better (he said this several times and I think he was talking about Nelson.  Had great things to say about Buckner
  • I still believe that you have to be great up front, but I learned some things about the rest.
  • Overestimated the level to which new LTs and RGs could just blend with three other good players.
  • Going the rookie QB route was est accomplished in 2020 instead of trading for Buck, but liked the Buck trade
  • Seemed to express a desire to sign JT because he's a special player...not down play him because he's a RB (said same thing about Nelson before he signed Nelson,,,being a special player overrides positions)
  • Did not say the same thing about Pittman.  Not disparaging, just not as positive as JT.

Those are interesting points, the bolded.

Obviously he is a really smart guy who knows how to think on his feet. But his comments that he has had no doubts about wanting to be here next year smell like total B.S. He had his job emasculated by Irsay and surely is massively pi$$ed about it. 

Oh well, we only care about what he can do to improve the team, not whether he is thrilled about his job and his boss these days.

Just now, stitches said:

Agreed. No idea if it was the disastrous Jeff Saturday pres-conference yesterday or the last Irsay showing, but Ballard in contrast seems sooo much better put together and polished with the media. 

Doesn't matter, need results. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I actually ... kind of love this answer from Ballard. I think there are other reasons, but those are not bad 3 to zero in on. 

Keefer is misrepresenting what Ballard said.  He is summarizing.   Ballard was asked the question directly "how did it get like this", and his first answer was that "the plan from a roster standpoint wasn't good enough"

Keefer does not put the blame on that.

One thing that stood out to me:  After referencing elite QBs, Ballard said the new coach has to be able to put a plan together to win with average to above average QB play.  This tells me he may not see a great difference in the QB choices, a great difference between Stroud and Levis.  You still need one obviously, but Ballard doesn't see a Manning, Luck or Mahomes there.

Just now, RollerColt said:

He avoided saying much about Jeff. Not much positive or negative honestly. 

Jeff is a talker, great player rep and front face for any organization, maybe he can go do motivational speaking along with Dungy. :thmup:

Just now, #12. said:

One thing that stood out to me:  After referencing elite QBs, Ballard said the new coach has to be able to put a plan together to win with average to above average QB play.  This tells me he may not see a great difference in the QB choices, a great difference between Stroud and Levis.  You still need one obviously, Ballard he doesn't see a Manning, Luck or Mahomes there.

Code for trade down,?

Just now, #12. said:

One thing that stood out to me:  After referencing elite QBs, Ballard said the new coach has to be able to put a plan together to win with average to above average QB play.  This tells me he may not see a great difference in the QB choices, a great difference between Stroud and Levis.  You still need one obviously, Ballard he doesn't see a Manning, Luck or Mahomes there.

I think that was general comment. Because only 3 or so teams have elite QB and a lot who don’t are still winning.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard has said all the right things, I am being nitpicky when I say I didn't like he said they beat their selves. He should of said of we. No big deal though, he just needs to draft right QB and get the right coach in here and things could change bigtime. He knows that.

Keeping Jeff wrong direction.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

None of us do. You still have to take a guy like Lamar and make him productive, that is what good coaches do. Not every QB drafted is going to throw darts like Burrow or Brady, so we also have to temper expectations.

Just now, CR91 said:

Ballard saying we might not take a QB in the first round is the worst bluff I've ever heard in my life

Lol. It was for sure! Can’t come out and directly say are plans even as obvious as it may be. People WILL riot however if we don’t draft one. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think that was general comment. Because only 3 or so teams have elite QB and a lot who don’t are still winning.

It tells me he's not expecting to have an elite QB, and if you don't, you still have to find a way to win.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Keefer is misrepresenting what he said.  He is summarizing.   Ballard was asked the question directly "how did it get like this", and his first answer was that "from a roster construction standpoint, we are not good enough"

Keefer does not put the blame on that.

Yeah, he's summarizing and what he said is even better. more precise identification of a problem, I thought. 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Definitely disappointed in Q and Kelly on the OL.  Nelson pretty much admitted he messed up this year.  Q is going to do what it takes.  Kelly, I think, is in trouble and will be gone.

Give Kelly little more time.  He was at the lowest point of his life not long ago.  Time will heal him up.   It takes time to recharge batteries from such a tragic & draining event

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see Jeff back, we are trying to figure out a nice way to get rid of Jeff. Jeff is a such a face of the franchise, it isn't easy. JMO's

Like it was easy for Elway to get rid of Tebow for Peyton, Irsay and Ballard can easily justify pushing Saturday out the door for a guy like Harbaugh.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

One thing that stood out to me:  After referencing elite QBs, Ballard said the new coach has to be able to put a plan together to win with average to above average QB play.  This tells me he may not see a great difference in the QB choices, a great difference between Stroud and Levis.  You still need one obviously, but Ballard doesn't see a Manning, Luck or Mahomes there.

If you draft a rookie now matter how great the prospect is you are most likely going to have average QB play the first 2 years at least in most cases. That even applied to Peyton. I dont think his comments point to how he sees the prospects.

Archived