Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1/10 Ballard End of Season Presser

Bravo

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Trading to one was the interesting question. Does he think one of them are head and shoulders better he will move up.

Elite QB don’t grow on trees. They rarely happen. 

That's the point.  You're probably not giving up multiple high draft picks to trade up to #1 for a non-elite QB, a QB you don't believe is head and shoulders above the others.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I did not like that Ballard said he's ok waiting into February to sign the HC.

By waiting too long, he should remember, it took a long time with McDaniels, and then he backed out, after all the other good candidates were gone.

I would be calling Harbaugh today and sending him a big bag of money. I would then draft either Young or Stroud. That would be a nice start. Then maybe we can get 2021 Taylor and Leonard will be healthy too.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, he's summarizing and what he said is even better. more precise identification of a problem, I thought. 

I don't think so.

Keefer.s bullett points leave open the door for blaming things other than what Ballard said, which is that the plan for the roster was not good enough.

Oline regression and the team beating themselves is not directly related to roster, IMO.  Rotating Vet QBs is, for which Ballard took the blame.

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

By waiting too long, he should remember, it took a long time with McDaniels, and then he backed out, after all the other good candidates were gone.

Pretty sure that was just hyperbole

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I don’t think it will take that long. This needs to be done by the senior bowl. 

The accountability piece was there for Ballard, which I like, and was required, to throw a bit of water on the fire, build sympathy for the situation and him.  Well done, give his PR team some kind of award for the approach- however it was expected.  It tells the franchise that they are not going to get the same old Colts that he built, including Ballard himself.  

I liked that he immediately said that if there is a guy they covet, he wont hesitate to go after him at whatever cost. 

I also think that his process of evaluation for the top QB's has just started at a granular level now that our draft pick is solidified.  You can only get so much information based on game tape and the past.  Ballard will wait until after the combine, pro days. wonderlics and private workouts before deciding if they even like one guy more than the other two- and even then- if that player warrants the draft collateral that it would require to get him.  There are a lot of moving pieces here which could be substantially shifted if another team decides to trade up in the next month or two and well before Ballard's thorough evaluation process is completed. 

I hate how Ballard doesn't give context to some of his stubborn blanket statements though.  In regards to JT and if a RB is worth big financial commitments he replied "If they are special, absolutely" or something to that effect.  Wrong answer after shelling out generational money to DL and QN.  The right answer would have been "my job is to look at what is best for the balance of the entire roster and their given impact to the team. I will always have to consider moving in the direction that is best for the Colts. That means every player is accountable and considered expendable to achieve our overall goals". 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

If you draft a rookie now matter how great the prospect is you are most likely going to have average QB play the first 2 years at least in most cases. That even applied to Peyton. I dont think his comments point to how he sees the prospects.

No, he was talking in comparison to elite QBs - where the field is tilted - meaning, to me, he doesn't expect the field to be tilted in the Colts favor.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s no way he could possibly justify not drafting a QB.

Not so sure about that, if you mean drafting one at #4 or trading up to #1. Of course we do need to take one at some point in this draft.

The Jets used a #2 two years ago and a #3 after the Nelson trade down by the Colts a few years earlier to draft a qb in years similar to this one where there were no obvious Luck or Manning-level talent. I’ll bet they’d like do overs on both guys.

Obviously there is a lot of pressure to draft a qb, but is there anyone available that deserves our #4 or adding assets to move to #1?  If there isn’t, he better not do it no matter how mad it makes us fans. Of course one can only wonder how much of any major decision is Ballard’s to make.

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

I actually ... kind of love this answer from Ballard. I think there are other reasons, but those are not bad 3 to zero in on. 

The cynic in me sees those as the three he can be absolved of. He's know what he is doing. Can blame QB on Luck and Reich...nobody could see the OL regressing....and beating yourself is a coaching issue.

Just now, #12. said:

No, he was talking in comparison to elite QBs - where the field is tilted - meaning, to me, he doesn't expect the field to be tilted in the Colts favor.

None of these guys have played yet. If there was a luck in this draft Chicago would be trading fields and taking them.  Those guys find come often.

The OL comment to me stood out the most and starts there IMO. He thought he could outsmart himself and plug and play some jag’s to replace premium positions and it ended up backfiring. At least he admitted it and hopefully will take a much different approach and reevaluate EVERY position which more aggression and scrutiny 

1 minute ago, Nevbot said:

The accountability piece was there for Ballard, which I like, and was required, to throw a bit of water on the fire, build sympathy for the situation and him.  Well done, give his PR team some kind of award for the approach- however it was expected.  It tells the franchise that they are not going to get the same old Colts that he built, including Ballard himself.  

I liked that he immediately said that if there is a guy they covet, he wont hesitate to go after him at whatever cost. 

I also think that his process of evaluation for the top QB's has just started at a granular level now that our draft pick is solidified.  You can only get so much information based on game tape and the past.  Ballard will wait until after the combine, pro days. wonderlics and private workouts before deciding if they even like one guy more than the other two- and even then- if that player warrants the draft collateral that it would require to get him.  There are a lot of moving pieces here which could be substantially shifted if another team decides to trade up in the next month or two and well before Ballard's thorough evaluation process is completed. 

I hate how Ballard doesn't give context to some of his stubborn blanket statements though.  In regards to JT and if a RB is worth big financial commitments he replied "If they are special, absolutely" or something to that effect.  Wrong answer after shelling out generational money to DL and QN.  The right answer would have been "my job is to look at what is best for the balance of the entire roster and their given impact to the team. I will always have to consider moving in the direction that is best for the Colts. That means every player is accountable and considered expendable to achieve our overall goals". 

He already said enough stuff we wanted to hear, with or without intent, with or without PR preparation. No two people in the world think the same way identically. So not a big deal if he didn't say what you wanted to hear for every question.

The results are all that matter in the end.

1 minute ago, Nevbot said:

I hate how Ballard doesn't give context to some of his stubborn blanket statements though.  In regards to JT and if a RB is worth big financial commitments he replied "If they are special, absolutely" or something to that effect.  Wrong answer after shelling out generational money to DL and QN.

Yeah, I heard that too.

For all of the contrite attitude, self blaming, and saying that he's learned some things, the idea of shelling out money to a player simply because he's special indicates that Ballard may still be the same guy.

If you spend a lot on JT, it pretty much forces the Offense to be a run first O....even if you don't want it to be ideologically.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think so.

Keefer.s bullett points leave open the door for blaming things other than what Ballard said, which is that the plan for the roster was not good enough.

Oline regression and the team beating themselves is not directly related to roster, IMO.  Rotating Vet QBs is, for which Ballard took the blame.

I meant Ballard's point was more precise, not Keefers. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Yeah, I heard that too.

For all of the contrite attitude, self blaming, and saying that he's learned some things, the idea of shelling out money to a player simply because he's special indicates that Ballard may still be the same guy.

If you spend a lot on JT, it pretty much forces the Offense to be a run first O....even if you don't want it to be ideologically.

I think that’s what we want to be actually.  That’s why Harbaugh would be interested.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I think that’s what we want to be actually.  That’s why Harbaugh would be interested.

Then their is no need to trade up for an elite QB.   Allen, Mahomes, and Lawrence, do not have big money RBs.

Just now, chad72 said:

Nah, he is long in the tooth, doesn't adapt to modern concepts on offense. They produce good OL and TEs however, let us keep it that way. :) 

I agree, but he's the coach for Iowa.  Maybe the other poster meant Iowa State....Matt Campbell.

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Denver sign Harbaugh by then.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Sure, but do we need a guy of JT's caliber?  Could we not have a decent run game with another guy?  If someone offers us a few picks for JT, we would be fools not to listen, especially if we can get a CMC like haul. 

We found JT in the second round after all.  If we use him to trade up to say Arizona......could we not potentially land the top 2 RBs in this draft with our second pick assuming its still there?

Archived