Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1/10 Ballard End of Season Presser

Bravo

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Blueblood23 said:

I live close to Chicago. I’ve seen him play a lot. He’s shown very little so far in two years. He is a fast runner, but as a QB not so much thus far. Bears lost a record 14 losses this year. The competition they played was not all that. 

He has crap WR's and his Line is MEH. I am not even a Fields fan as I said he would be an average QB in the pro's but he could be good with the right surroundings. 

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

I live close to Chicago. I’ve seen him play a lot. He’s shown very little so far in two years. He is a fast runner, but as a QB not so much thus far. Bears lost a record 14 losses this year. The competition they played was not all that. 

So you think the Bears losses were Fields fault? 

Hard to admit that you could be wrong isn’t it.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

So you think the Bears losses were Fields fault? 

Hard to admit that you could be wrong isn’t it.

Bears offense scores 29 points 5 weeks in a row and still loses ALL 5, that has happened only once before in NFL history, I heard. Eberflus was really short handed on D as the season went on.

Just finished listening to the whole presser.  So very happy that we could finally hear the questions asked!

Interesting takeaway regarding the coaching search … says last time they focussed on the one candidate they thought they wanted, which maybe caused them to overlook other terrific candidates.  Says this time, going into it with a total open mind to hear what every candidate truly has to offer.  Seems like a good lesson learned, if not just lip service.  Also, acknowledged that looking at college football options is on the table.

Also said that ultimately the actual hire decision is the team owner’s, with Ballard leading the search & making recommendations.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I wish they asked more questions regarding the search for head coach

Ballard specifically said he won’t go into details of who they are looking at, aside from acknowledging that Saturday is a candidate that will be interviewed. 

Something I absolutely hate in this Ballard presser - he continues emphasizing the importance of the interior. He said you pay RB if he's special. He said Pittman is a good player but seemed much less effusive with his praise toward Pittman. 

I fully expect Ballard to trade/let go Pittman and give 18M to JT. In other words he continues with the same emphasis - give big money to the wrong positions - interior OL and DL, LBs, RB... let CBs and WRs go... This is just the complete opposite to how you build a modern NFL team. :( 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now you are putting words in my mouth.  

Figures 

He's right too. 

Bears trades away good defensive players, and didn't have very good talent in WR group, though RB and TE are great, so overall Fields had to work with limited receiver groups with not enough skill set, let alone think about elite. 

But, its also true that Fields has not shown so far that he can be a good passer in the NFL, that he could read defenses well before and after snap, make good decisions to be able to become their franchise QB one day. 

The 5 games that he got them over 29 points were much of him running for long TDs, it's not like he has progressed to be an elite passing QB, there are lot of doubts he might not be able to.

IMO, Fields has not shown half the capability Lamar Jackson has shown in the NFL in the passing game. 

@Blueblood23 is right when he said Bears were afraid to let him throw more, and this was Fields' seconds year.

If Colts drafted a QB this draft in top 5/10 draft pick, and he still couldn't throw more than 15 passes in 2024 (second year of rookie contract), fans wouldn't be kind to him. 

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now you are putting words in my mouth.  

Figures 

You did say Ryan was going to be good. So how good will Fields be?  And you’re glad I’m not evaluating the quarterbacks for the Colts and you trust Ballard and company. So far they ain’t been to good either. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He's right too. 

Bears trades away good defensive players, and didn't have very good talent in WR group, though RB and TE are great, so overall Fields had to work with limited receiver groups with not enough skill set, let alone think about elite. 

But, its also true that Fields has not shown so far that he can be a good passer in the NFL, that he could read defenses well before and after snap, make good decisions to be able to become their franchise QB one day. 

The 5 games that he got them over 29 points were much of him running for long TDs, it's not like he has progressed to be an elite passing QB, there are lot of doubts he might not be able to.

IMO, Fields has not shown half the capability Lamar Jackson has shown in the NFL in the passing game. 

@Blueblood23 is right when he said Bears were afraid to let him throw more, and this was Fields' seconds year.

If Colts drafted a QB this draft in top 5/10 draft pick, and he still couldn't throw more than 15 passes in 2024 (second year of rookie contract), fans wouldn't be kind to him. 

I'm not saying that Fields is a HOF QB like it was suggested but the comment made was no QB from Ohio State ever amounted to nothing. Fields is playing according to the talent around him. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Question here is does he see one as head and shoulders above the rest to trade up or wait until 4.

I very much hope the Colts stand pat @ 4 instead of giving a boat load to move up 1-3 spots.  Let the player come to them.

4 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

You did say Ryan was going to be good. So how good will Fields be?  And you’re glad I’m not evaluating the quarterbacks for the Colts and you trust Ballard and company. So far they ain’t been to good either. 

Matt Ryan is a Hall of Famer but also 37 years old. Taylor being injured most of the year and our O.line being bad did him no favors. 

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Ryan would have been had he not been pounded into the ground.  He had flashes of his talent when he was given the time.  

Fields don't have to be a HOF QB to be a successful QB. Put the talent around him and he will become a winner.  

Seems like he realizes what he tried didn’t work and is going to try something different.  I don’t think he’s going reinvent himself completely but I do think he will be more open to things he hasn’t been too in the past.

He seemed to be doing the GM thing and keeping his options open regarding off-season moves, especially the draft.  So I wouldn’t read too much into that.

Sounds like Ballard gets work through the head coaches but Irsay will have final say on the hire which is his right as the Owner of the team like it or not.

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Something I absolutely hate in this Ballard presser - he continues emphasizing the importance of the interior. He said you pay RB if he's special. He said Pittman is a good player but seemed much less effusive with his praise toward Pittman. 

I fully expect Ballard to trade/let go Pittman and give 18M to JT. In other words he continues with the same emphasis - give big money to the wrong positions - interior OL and DL, LBs, RB... let CBs and WRs go... This is just the complete opposite to how you build a modern NFL team. :( 

Well part of that might be how WRs are paid vs. RBs. You throw out a bunch of praise for your young WR in a presser...and it's just more ammo for the contract negotiations. Meanwhile, JT is pretty much capped out on what he can get. 

But I have no reason to believe he is suddenly going to abandon an entrenched roster philosophy. It's not what he knows.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ryan would have been had he not been pounded into the ground.  He had flashes of his talent when he was given the time.  

Fields don't have to be a HOF QB to be a successful QB. Put the talent around him and he will become a winner.  

Ryan couldn’t even get the snap from center without fumbling. He was a disaster.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just ______ quit it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was speaking in generalities.  You are ________ babbling about the way things have Fallen.  He HAS his LT.  He can fix RG and C.

We NEED our All-Pro LB back that makes all those big plays and creates TURNOVERS.  

Shame on you for crying over spilled milk and being so little picture.

Go Cry with Sean McVay and Aaron Rodgers sitting on their arses this weekend. 

It's where we are at. We screwed up bigtime drafting Manning 3-13 league rookie record int's. WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!  

There are only 3-4 Excellent teams in the NFL. 

We got rid of REICH and his ideas!  THAT is the best thing! 

We start anew. LIVE WITH IT!!!!!    Let it breathe!  SAM isn't your QB!

57 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What about Justin Fields? You said no QB from Ohio State has ever amounted to anything 

Maybe you should rethink that comment?

I wouldn’t crown Fields yet.  He’s shown flashes at times but most of that is running the ball.  He still has a ways to go to be good QB in the NFL.  I am not saying he won’t get there but he’s not there yet.

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

Can't have a perfect GM. Like I said, 2 more years with a rookie QB and if we have Jim Harbaugh, we should win the division, IMO. I am thinking glass half full. Meaning Of Life Glass Half Full GIF by Barbara Pozzi

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just ______ quit it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was speaking in generalities.  You are ________ babbling about the way things have Fallen.  He HAS his LT.  He can fix RG and C.

We NEED our All-Pro LB back that makes all those big plays and creates TURNOVERS.  

Shame on you for crying over spilled milk and being so little picture.

Go Cry with Sean McVay and Aaron Rodgers sitting on their arses this weekend. 

It's where we are at. We screwed up bigtime drafting Manning 3-13 league rookie record int's. WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!  

There are only 3-4 Excellent teams in the NFL. 

We got rid of REICH and his ideas!  THAT is the best thing! 

We start anew. LIVE WITH IT!!!!!    Let it breathe!  SAM isn't your QB!

I would love to hang out with McVay. Seems like a cool dude. But not Rodgers.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not saying that Fields is a HOF QB like it was suggested but the comment made was no QB from Ohio State ever amounted to nothing. Fields is playing according to the talent around him. 

Almost every football forum would've a comment in draft season that OSU QBs haven't done much in the NFL or they'd have concerns drafting an OSU QB. Any version of such comments is normal for years now. 

As for Fields, i hope he could be better than what Mike White was for Jets as a backup filling in. 

I don't think not having enough talent is good excuse for Fields. A good QB can always put on film what he could do, and if his receivers can't produce that would be in the film too. Fields has yet to do that. Bears coaches need to trust him and see if he works out.

If they had done already enough and found him out, they could have been in position now to just draft Stroud or Young, and trade Fields to another team for a high draft pick, which would be the wise decision if I were Bears GM now. 

Bears WRs were not elite, but their receivers were not all that bad either. They even traded for Claypool mid season, so there were enough options to put on some positive film in two rookie years now. 

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

I mean pittman isnt exactly a super star wr. Higgins, brown, mclaurin,hill diggs,adams,metcalf, and several others are better than him. Heck I think pierce will be better than him

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s no way he could possibly justify not drafting a QB.

Sure he can. He gets to keep his job and still has the endorsement of the owner. Unless Irsay has mandated that he draft a QB, we know how Ballard feels about the process. He has a history of acquiring re-treads, and there could potentially be an abundance of  retreads to choose from. We also know that he loves draft picks. With the right trade partner he could turn the #4 pick into multiple  draft picks. He has given us no reason to believe that he won't do the same things he has done all along.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t crown Fields yet.  He’s shown flashes at times but most of that is running the ball.  He still has a ways to go to be good QB in the NFL.  I am not saying he won’t get there but he’s not there yet.

I think he has all the tools though. CHI is just notoriously bad at developing QBs.

Good thing the Colts GM spent half of his career there. Really prepared him for what this tea needs to do next. /s 

Silly hypothetical, but which do you prefer:

• Trading #4 for Fields
  • Trading #4 (plus other picks) for #1 to pick Stroud or Young

Archived