Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts a Contender or Pretender? You Decide!

philba101

Are the Colts a Contender or Pretender? I guess they could be somewhere in that awful middle called average. For argument's sake choose one or the other and make your case. Some of the current debate in this forum centers around whether Chris Ballard believes this team is a contender or not. We think he does, right? That is why you would sign/acquire veteran QB's instead of draft rookies the last three years, right? With all the speculation and changes over the last few years, the cold, hard reality is that the Colts have not won a divisional title since 2014. In fact, every other team in the division has won a title during that time span except the Colts. Towards the end of last year, the whisper around the league was that the Colts were an ascending team, maybe the type of team no one would want to face in the playoffs. Again, the cold-hard reality is that no one did have to face the Colts because they were not what others believed them to be. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a Colts fan (me included) say that if we just could have won the Baltimore game, or the second Titans game last year, we would be right at the top of the AFC, I would be a millionaire. But again the cold-hard reality of the final two games showed us the Colts were no where close to being a top AFC contender. This offseason, the Colts once again stuck to their strategy of not being major players in free agency. This again heightens the yearly pressure to nail the draft. So far, the Colts got rid of one QB and traded for another. They got rid of a draft pick and traded for a young edge rusher. Without a first-round pick, can the Colts count on just the draft to add multiple impact players who will make them better than they were last year? Rankings, Vegas odds, and NFL prognosticators do not mean anything unless you put a team on the field who can actually show up and win. Are we to assume that we are going to beat a bunch of AFC West teams on our schedule next year? Are we to assume that the Browns, Chargers, Dolphins who were all very active in the offseason( but not in playoffs last year) will be worse than last year? Are we to assume the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Raiders and Patriots will take a step back from last year? Are we to assume that the back-to-back AFC South champs are going to just relinquish hold of the division so easily? Are we to assume that (as many have prognosticated here) that Ryan Tannehill will finally flop and not help the Titans win 12 games again? Are we to assume that the Jags and Texans are both going to be worse than last year? Yes, the division is winnable, but the truth is its been winnable for the last 8 years and yet the Colts have not been able to find the recipe to win it. So, are the Colts closer to being a Contender or closer to being a Pretender?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh look this question again.

bottomline is this, we aren’t there yet, we’re trying to get there, and it’s gonna be an interesting ride upwards

I get it, there are still a lot of uncertainties, we still have the draft and the remainder of the FA season. But, can the Colts realistically nail the offseason in a way that makes them contenders?

32 minutes ago, philba101 said:

With the work the Colts have done this offseason, and with just the draft before them, can they do enough in your opinion to be a contender?

Yes. Just the change in QB will give us a shot. I think that development will fill the starting OT spot (Pryor), WR (Campbell)

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

I get it, there are still a lot of uncertainties, we still have the draft and the remainder of the FA season. But, can the Colts realistically nail the offseason in a way that makes them contenders?

Contenders to win AFCS yes. Realistic SB contender = No.

We should be a contender in the division, a lot depends on if the jags take the steps forward that they appear to be trying to. If they continue to still be the jags, the colts can totally challenge and overcome the Titans.

Without adding the weapons (so far) we desperately need and losing some depth I'd guess colts are a pretender outside of the AFC South.

So in short, contender in division.... Pretender in conference.

Whoa, we were swept vs the Titans last yr and their defense looks to be top 3 in the NFL!  Why the sudden confidence and especially since we have ignored the passing game to date?  Henry is back to full health and we cant count on a gift for two straight seasons only to not take advantage of it.  Didn't the Titans finish with the #1 seed WITH Henry missing most of the season?  We need to accept reality that unless we upgrade in a couple spots, the division AND playoff hopes in the AFC are unreachable!  Sad but TRUE

We're not there yet.

So many teams in the AFC have improved, while we have done "whatever it is we're doing."

We're middle of the pack fortunate to be in a winnable division.  KC, Buffalo, Cincy, Baltimore are already pretty good teams.  SD, Miami, certainly Denver, New England are improving.  There are only a few putrid teams in the conference, really.  It's going to be a dogfight.

With little draft capital, we'll be lucky to get two starters and a few depth players out of this draft.  Ballard will probably sign a few good bargain FAs but we're not likely to get markedly better before the season starts.  Maybe Paye and/or Odeyingbo have big seasons?  Can JT replicate his success from last season?  What does Ryan have left in the tank and who does he throw the ball to? Lots of questions this season

Are we a super Bowl team right now?   No. 

But I think we win 10-11 games and hopefully win the AFC South.   Do that and you have a chance.   Get hot in January and you can go far.   No one was talking about Cincinnati going to the super Bowl when the playoffs started.   But they improbably won some close games and nearly won it all.  They got hot at the right time.   We can do that too.   Anyone can. 

I want to win the division and hopefully get hot in the post-season.   If you play hard and play smart you stand a better than 50-50 chance of winning.   We can do that. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

But I think we win 10-11 games and hopefully win the AFC South.   Do that and you have a chance.   Get hot in January and you can go far.   No one was talking about Cincinnati going to the super Bowl when the playoffs started.   But they improbably won some close games and nearly won it all.  They got hot at the right time.   We can do that too.   Anyone can. 

I want to win the division and hopefully get hot in the post-season.   If you play hard and play smart you stand a better than 50-50 chance of winning.   We can do that. 

Pretty much this.

With the moves made in the AFC this year, winning the South has never been more important. If we win the division, we likely lose in round one, but we've made it to the dance and anything can happen.

If we weren't in such an easy division, I'd feel far less optimistic.

There are at least 3-4 responses in this thread so far that mention the phrase "Not there yet". Ha!!

It's been like what? 5-6 years now. When might we get there? Asking for a friend :D 

At year 6 and still void of actual playmakers/difference makers at real key positions is the dead horse I keep beating. 

The story of this team isn't "We can't find a QB" nonsense. We could've been adding Real talent and then once QB was found we would be set. So here we are. Still limited in Real talent.  

It is a testament to this team being somewhat competitive seeing as their hands are always tied by the GM, however no championships will be won until this team has difference makers that can take you over the top

Conclusion: Pretender

11 minutes ago, Indeee said:

There are at least 3-4 responses in this thread so far that mention the phrase "Not there yet". Ha!!

It's been like what? 5-6 years now. When might we get there? Asking for a friend :D 

At year 6 and still void of actual playmakers/difference makers at real key positions is the dead horse I keep beating. 

The story of this team isn't "We can't find a QB" nonsense. We could've been adding Real talent and then once QB was found we would be set. So here we are. Still limited in Real talent.  

It is a testament to this team being somewhat competitive seeing as their hands are always tied by the GM, however no championships will be won until this team has difference makers that can take you over the top

It’s all Andrew’s fault! Be patient, as this is a well run organization. 

28 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Not Yet No GIF

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great post! This is what I have been preaching on here since we got Matt Ryan. Cincy is far from a great team and they won at Tennessee and at KC, and had the Rams beat. 

47 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Difference makers. lmao  This may be the LEAST informed post since the end of the season.  Mark it down...
 Knowledgeable COLTS FANS, PFF Just named Our Colts one of the most improved teams SO FAR this off season.  USA Today named us a Top 8 TEAM in the NFL, top 6 in the AFC. 
 But we Ain't got no stinkin' talent!

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Difference makers. lmao  This may be the LEAST informed post since the end of the season.  Mark it down...
 Knowledgeable COLTS FANS, PFF Just named Our Colts one of the most improved teams SO FAR this off season.  USA Today named us a Top 8 TEAM in the NFL, top 6 in the AFC. 

When I made my thread of my Elite 8, I had Indy at 8 and few scoffed at me. CBS, USA Today, and ESPN all as us top 8. So i guess roughly 30 or so people that follow this sport in the media for a living have no idea what they are talking about high roller laughing GIF

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Matt Ryan alone with the roster we have will win us the South, I am not even worried about that. We need more to win a SB though unless we get hot like Cincy did.

12 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Whoa, we were swept vs the Titans last yr and their defense looks to be top 3 in the NFL!  Why the sudden confidence and especially since we have ignored the passing game to date?  Henry is back to full health and we cant count on a gift for two straight seasons only to not take advantage of it.  Didn't the Titans finish with the #1 seed WITH Henry missing most of the season?  We need to accept reality that unless we upgrade in a couple spots, the division AND playoff hopes in the AFC are unreachable!  Sad but TRUE

It's not just Colts fans. Right now, Vegas has IND as the slight favorite to win the AFCS. That's where the money is going.

And it really makes no sense.

Before last season, people also thought TEN would fall off and the AFCS was up for grabs.

But what many didn't realize is that they had a terrible defense in 2020...and then turned over half of it in that offseason. If they could win the AFCS in 2020 with that terrible defense, any improvement on defense in 2021 was going to make them very dangerous, with how well the offense had been. 

And that's what happened, sort of. Their defense jumped up to #12 in DVOA and #6 in pts/allowed. They won 12 games, won the AFCS and swept IND.

But they were able to do that WITHOUT the great offense. Their offense actually fell from #4 in DVOA/#2 in pts/drive to #20 in DOVA/#12 pts/drive, in large parts to injuries to Henry, AJ Brown, Julio and the lack of having a viable TE threat.

Now, they are getting Henry back, have added a legit WR2 in Robert Woods and have added Austin Hooper. 

Sort of the inverse last year, they are heading into 2022 with a legit defense (that is intact from last year) and are poised to see an improvement on offense. Barring injuries, IF they get some improvement on offense, they are going to be a very dangerous team. Like 12-13 win dangerous. And that doesn't even take into account a bounceback season from Tannehill.

So the Colts will likely have to win 3-4 more games over last year AND at least split with TEN if they want to win the AFCS. Objectively, that's a very tall order with only adding Ngakoue and swapping out Carson Wentz for Matt Ryan.

Plenty of time left to make some moves, but I find the current odds and confidence (as we stand with the rosters of each team) to be way out there.

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When I made my thread of my Elite 8, I had Indy at 8 and few scoffed at me. CBS, USA Today, and ESPN all as us top 8. So i guess roughly 30 or so people that follow this sport in the media for a living have no idea what they are talking about high roller laughing GIF

Where did you see this?

Only list I can find that has IND in the top 8 is USAT.

Nate Davis "says the Colts could run and away and hide with the AFCS crown."  That would be nice...since it's been a long time since that has happened.

Here are the others I found: 

ESPN at #13: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=33587140&_slug_=nfl-power-rankings-2022-post-free-agency-1-32-poll-plus-predicting-next-offseason-move-team

NFL.com at #16: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-post-2022-nfl-free-agency

Unless CBS has another NFL writer, Pete Prisco hasn't updated his rankings yet since mid-Feb. IND is #14, but I imagine there will be some shifting once every team's FA is accounted for. Highly doubt the Colts bump up 6 spots though. 

When a owner comes out and says we are all in and then do very little in FA as a fan you see all these other teams signing players to help there team get to the top. So that should tell you that the GM and Coach think that our team is a few years away from competing for a SB

Then you come to your senses and we are rooting for a team that is mediocre might make the playoffs and one and done

NO RISKET NO BISCUIT

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

According to PFF

Taylor ranked 1 at his position

Pittman ranked 16

Cox 22 out of 32 only because they had to rank somebody as our TE, he's not even in the top 100 of the entire NFL

No other colts offensive player is even ranked in top 100

And you are going to say we have difference makers? 

One offensive player in the top 15 of the entire NFL. ONE

Pittman is ranked 16th out of his position, meaning he isn't even considered a top 50 player in the NFL

Yea, I'm the least informed... :lol:

I don't give a hoot what the so-called analysts say. they are talking about the overall team. I'm speaking of individual difference makers, not past team performance or projected team performances

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'm not speaking of team performances or team projections. It's like none of you can actually comprehend or read or whatever you want to call it.

What does a projected team ranking have to do with individual difference makers at key positions? 

Based on PFF player rankings

Taylor ranked 1 at his position

Pittman ranked 16

Cox 22 out of 32 only because they had to rank somebody as our TE, he's not even in the top 100 of the entire NFL

No other colts offensive player is even ranked in top 100

And you are going to say we have difference makers? 

One offensive player in the top 15 of the entire NFL. ONE

Pittman is ranked 16th out of his position, meaning he isn't even considered a top 50 player in the NFL

Yea, I'm the least informed... 

I don't give a hoot what the so-called analysts say. they are talking about the overall team. I'm speaking of individual difference makers, not past team performance or projected team performances

Archived