Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts a Contender or Pretender? You Decide!

philba101

Tough question because there's always a guy or two that produces from the draft class and a surprise pre season cut guy that could come in and contribute.

I'd classify us as upper mid tier if the season started today.

The south is all that really matters and I think we can make some noise even without a GREAT roster if Matty isn't washed.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/7/2022 at 1:28 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Are we a super Bowl team right now?   No. 

But I think we win 10-11 games and hopefully win the AFC South.   Do that and you have a chance.   Get hot in January and you can go far.   No one was talking about Cincinnati going to the super Bowl when the playoffs started.   But they improbably won some close games and nearly won it all.  They got hot at the right time.   We can do that too.   Anyone can. 

I want to win the division and hopefully get hot in the post-season.   If you play hard and play smart you stand a better than 50-50 chance of winning.   We can do that. 

Remember the year we won the SB. We were just middle of the road with a “horrible “ D. Very similar to RIGHT NOW!  

5 hours ago, sb2001 said:

Remember the year we won the SB. We were just middle of the road with a “horrible “ D. Very similar to RIGHT NOW!  

The year we won the SB we had Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Clark. Also the D was #2 against the pass with Freeney and Mathis, our D wasn't "horrible", yeah we were last against the run but once Bob Sanders got healthy that changed in the playoffs. Comparing our team now to the 2006 team is mindboggling. Our 2006 team was great overall. 

On 4/6/2022 at 8:25 PM, esmort said:

Contenders to win AFCS yes. Realistic SB contender = No.

Yes by picking up from anywhere, walmart where ever a 7ft plus ex basketball player for the redzone only. walk run into end-zone then  Just lob the ball up there and let him go up and get it and land.  Touch down.  Should not cost much either. 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:40 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Difference makers. lmao  This may be the LEAST informed post since the end of the season.  Mark it down...
 Knowledgeable COLTS FANS, PFF Just named Our Colts one of the most improved teams SO FAR this off season.  USA Today named us a Top 8 TEAM in the NFL, top 6 in the AFC. 
 But we Ain't got no stinkin' talent!

I don't think they know the team as well as many of the fans. I know that we improved at QB and maybe even a little at DE (pass rush) But we have gone backwards with the OL as well as CB with as well as depth on the DL,

unless we address both O and D Lines we have a weaker D backfield and no proven upgrades at wr and te. the other teams have done sooo much more than we have to improve their teams i would have to say that out of the 16 teams in the AFC we rank either 12 or 13. i don't see us ranking any higher than 12

13 hours ago, ruf said:

I don't think they know the team as well as many of the fans. I know that we improved at QB and maybe even a little at DE (pass rush) But we have gone backwards with the OL as well as CB with as well as depth on the DL,

unless we address both O and D Lines we have a weaker D backfield and no proven upgrades at wr and te. the other teams have done sooo much more than we have to improve their teams i would have to say that out of the 16 teams in the AFC we rank either 12 or 13. i don't see us ranking any higher than 12

the "experts " say  Difference makers say   This may be the LEAST informed post since the end of the season.  Mark it down...
 Knowledgeable COLTS FANS, PFF Just named Our Colts one of the most improved teams SO FAR this off season.  USA Today named us a Top 8 TEAM in the NFL, top 6 in the AFC. 

Every year the colts are called improved and top this and that, thats so cool, great.  But  how does all this excitement work out for  the Colts MOST years  

26 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

the "experts " say  Difference makers say   This may be the LEAST informed post since the end of the season.  Mark it down...

Every year the colts are called improved and top this and that, thats so cool, great.  But  how does all this excitement work out for  the Colts MOST years  

Top this, that?  LMAO

Quite simply, just about how one should have had the wisdom to expect!
 Minus quitter's Luck and Castonzo, and several 2nd rd draft picks that turned out to be failures. And many young developing draft picks that must ascend individually, and as functioning units. 
Life is tough. Deal with it!  ADAPT!

14 hours ago, ruf said:

We rank 12 or 13 out of 16 teams in the AFC, really season 3 laughing GIF- this may be the worst post yet in here. 

We are the best team in our team in our division now that we got Matt Ryan. We are better than the Pats, Dolphins, Jets, Steelers, Browns - because Watson will get suspended IMO. That is 8 teams, counting the other 3 in our division I just named. Teams like the Raiders, Ravens, and Chargers are pretty even with us. If we win our division, we can even get #1 seed in reality if things fall our way.

32 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Too much offseason left to make an intelligent choice.

True but I can already make an educated guess based on the division we play in. Yeah Tennessee has won the division the last 3 years but Henry is starting to get some age to him now. They also have won an insane amount of close games. We never had the best QB in the division during their 3 year run. Tannehill was better than JB, was even with Rivers because of Rivers age, even with Wentz. I think Matt Ryan is better. When Rivers played, both teams were 11-5 but they got the tiebreaker. Eventually when your winning most of your big games by 3 points or less or winning in OT, law averages will catch up to you. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 games where Tennessee won last season and had lady luck on their side. They beat the 49ers 20-17, Saints 23-21, Seattle in OT 33-30, and beat us 34-31 in OT. Good luck duplicating that.

Too much unknown.   I like that they got Ryan with giving up so little, but the team still has holes.  I still pick the Titans to win the division but the Colts will be a strong wildcard contender.  I'm interested to see what Taylor and Hines do this season.   Can Reich gameplan to use them efficiently?  I'm hoping Campbell can stay on the field.    

5 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

Contender for the division? Ok

Contender for a superbowl? :lol:

Thing you have too look at is, by playing in the AFC South we could get a #1 seed/maybe a #2 so that would give us a good chance of being a SB contender. Like I have said too many in here, was you laughing at Cincy with around 5 games to go this past season regarding being a SB contender? I was and everyone in here was.

Do you guys think laying low in free agency is to save the cap space to get cut casualties when rosters are trimmed down?  Most free agents are other teams trash or players on the decline.  When it comes time to make tough roster decisions the Colts can snap up some nice pieces.  Would be nice to have the holes filled sooner rather than later, but it kind of makes sense.  I agree with those who say it is too early to decide what this team will be, even without a first round draft choice.  We could still get more depth FAs, a great receiver in round 2, and a few great cut casualties.  I really hope some teams have to cut defense, because we sure need some help right now.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thing you have too look at is, by playing in the AFC South we could get a #1 seed/maybe a #2 so that would give us a good chance of being a SB contender. Like I have said too many in here, was you laughing at Cincy with around 5 games to go this past season regarding being a SB contender? I was and everyone in here was.

I guess anything is possible. You really think the Colts can get the #1 or #2 seed having to play the AFC west? Not to mention having to go to Pittsburgh and NE where historically we dont do well. Can we beat the Jags in Jacksonville? Sweep the Titans? Cincy had 3 solid wrs, a good rb, and a pretty good TE. Colts roster as of right now still has major holes and im not sure they can be addresed in the draft. 

11 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

I guess anything is possible. You really think the Colts can get the #1 or #2 seed having to play the AFC west? Not to mention having to go to Pittsburgh and NE where historically we dont do well. Can we beat the Jags in Jacksonville? Sweep the Titans? Cincy had 3 solid wrs, a good rb, and a pretty good TE. Colts roster as of right now still has major holes and im not sure they can be addresed in the draft. 

We also play the NFC East, that is 3 wins there IMO, I think we go 4-2 in the division, split with Tennessee and Jacks, sweep the Texans. there is 7 wins there at worse. The AFC West will be tough but I can see us winning at least 1 game there/maybe 2, we have no idea how good the Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, or Chiefs will really be? We went into Buffalo last year and won 41-15 and they are better than all of those teams except the Chiefs. Chiefs did lose Hill, major loss. I think we end the Pitt jinx finally. I have us at 11 wins currently and we can still add players and nail the draft even. Key is, we can't get swept by the Titans.

The Colts are contenders for the AFC South IMO. However, for the Super bowl I think I few more pieces are needed for the Colts for me to put them as contenders for that also. The Colts need to get another weapon for Matty Ice of some sort and figure out what we are going to do with the CB position.

With the draft weeks away, the Colts can still add key players in the draft that can come in right away and fill the positions that we need help on. I will never count them out for another FA addition or two also. Ballard is always looking at the market to see what veterans are out there closer to camp.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We also play the NFC East, that is 3 wins there IMO, I think we go 4-2 in the division, split with Tennessee and Jacks, sweep the Texans. there is 7 wins there at worse. The AFC West will be tough but I can see us winning at least 1 game there/maybe 2, we have no idea how good the Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, or Chiefs will really be? We went into Buffalo last year and won 41-15 and they are better than all of those teams except the Chiefs. Chiefs did lose Hill, major loss. I think we end the Pitt jinx finally. I have us at 11 wins currently and we can still add players and nail the draft even. Key is, we can't get swept by the Titans.

I knew I was forgetting another win, I think we will beat Minnesota. 11-6 is my early projection.

5 minutes ago, Korey said:

The Colts are contenders for the AFC South IMO. However, for the Super bowl I think I few more pieces are needed for the Colts for me to put them as contenders for that also. The Colts need to get another weapon for Matty Ice of some sort and figure out what we are going to do with the CB position.

With the draft weeks away, the Colts can still add key players in the draft that can come in right away and fill the positions that we need help on. I will never count them out for another FA addition or two also. Ballard is always looking at the market to see what veterans are out there closer to camp.

You could be right and there is still a ways to go regarding Free Agency. Having said that, what if we go 11-6 or 12-5 and get the #1 seed like Tennessee did last year? The winner of the AFC West may only go 11-6 and they will beat up on each other all year. Buffalo to me could go 12-5 but if the Pats improve and Miami as well, who knows? We really only have Tennessee to worry about, of course we will probably split with the Jags but what else is new.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:29 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The year we won the SB we had Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Clark. Also the D was #2 against the pass with Freeney and Mathis, our D wasn't "horrible", yeah we were last against the run but once Bob Sanders got healthy that changed in the playoffs. Comparing our team now to the 2006 team is mindboggling. Our 2006 team was great overall. 

Bob Sanders was the difference maker.  Went from being a terrible run defense to a good one because of him alone.  

Unfortunately, running up to the LOS full speed with no regard to your safety isn't conducive to your health.  Poleamolu was a similar player but somehow his body could take it.  His hair was even better than Bob's and must be the explanation. 

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You could be right and there is still a ways to go regarding Free Agency. Having said that, what if we go 11-6 or 12-5 and get the #1 seed like Tennessee did last year? The winner of the AFC West may only go 11-6 and they will beat up on each other all year. Buffalo to me could go 12-5 but if the Pats improve and Miami as well, who knows? We really only have Tennessee to worry about, of course we will probably split with the Jags but what else is new.

Jags have a solid front 7 and a decent oline.  IF T. Law is for real, and some of their high dollar acquisitions work out, they could get good quickly.  

I was not impressed with Lawrence at all, but there was a lot going on over there and a real lack of weapons.   So we should have a pretty good idea this year if he's going to be good or not. Even within the first month of the season. 

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Jags have a solid front 7 and a decent oline.  IF T. Law is for real, and some of their high dollar acquisitions work out, they could get good quickly.  

I was not impressed with Lawrence at all, but there was a lot going on over there and a real lack of weapons.   So we should have a pretty good idea this year if he's going to be good or not. Even within the first month of the season. 

Unfortunately for us I think Lawrence is going to be good. Having said that I still don't think they have the team to be good overall. I can see them at 8-9 or even 9-8 though. With the pickups they have made to help him and they are probably going to draft that DE from Michigan at #1, they could go above .500. It wouldn't shock me if they went 9-8 with the potential Lawrence has. I have the Colts and Titans at 11 wins, Texans probably 3 or 4 wins. If we can make 1 more big impact move, we could win 12 games. Splitting with the Titans is a must. When we gave them that 2nd game it handcuffed us and put us in a huge hole.

On 4/12/2022 at 12:54 AM, RunTheBall said:

Do you guys think laying low in free agency is to save the cap space to get cut casualties when rosters are trimmed down?  Most free agents are other teams trash or players on the decline.  When it comes time to make tough roster decisions the Colts can snap up some nice pieces.  Would be nice to have the holes filled sooner rather than later, but it kind of makes sense.  I agree with those who say it is too early to decide what this team will be, even without a first round draft choice.  We could still get more depth FAs, a great receiver in round 2, and a few great cut casualties.  I really hope some teams have to cut defense, because we sure need some help right now.

I think they will sign some after the draft.  Waiting until then will keep our comp picks   

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, conklincolt said:

i'm having trouble telling if you agree or disagree with me lol

On 4/10/2022 at 8:46 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We rank 12 or 13 out of 16 teams in the AFC, really season 3 laughing GIF- this may be the worst post yet in here. 

We are the best team in our team in our division now that we got Matt Ryan. We are better than the Pats, Dolphins, Jets, Steelers, Browns - because Watson will get suspended IMO. That is 8 teams, counting the other 3 in our division I just named. Teams like the Raiders, Ravens, and Chargers are pretty even with us. If we win our division, we can even get #1 seed in reality if things fall our way.

lol. if we don't fix our OL we will be at the bottom 5 AFC easy.

on the other hand if we do fix the OL we may even be top 5

56 minutes ago, ruf said:

lol. if we don't fix our OL we will be at the bottom 5 AFC easy.

on the other hand if we do fix the OL we may even be top 5

As long as we have our nasty run blocking, pass blocking aside, we will never be bottom 5.

Weights of 338, 330, 307, 306, and 315 right now in the starting lineup gives me confidence in the run game.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, conklincolt said:

pretenders again.  Will not beat the titans, bengals,chiefs,bills, dolphins

:lol:

Contenders for the division and/or a wildcard spot, pretenders for the SB most likely.

I think we are good enough to have a good shot of either winning the division or making a wildcard spot, but we are probably pretenders to make the SB and/or win it. I just don't see from this point on anything we can do to get us over that hump from the elite teams. I think we just have to hope that some solid BPA players fall to us (preferably at WR), and they end up producing right away.

We can count on our own improving as well, and making some changes like using Hines more efficiently, but this is going to come down to Matt Ryan, is the defense going to be as good as it looks, and will someone step up as a WR #2 behind Pittman. It'll at least be an interesting season. I'm getting 2020 vibes from it where we make the playoffs, but go one and done. maybe we actually make a run though and overcome the odds a bit. I would enjoy that. :thmup:

Right now I'd put the Colts on the bubble between contender and pretender.  I believe Matt Ryan might be a step in the right direction at quarterback and they have one of the best if not the best running back in the NFL in Johnathan Taylor but the wide receivers are all unproven outside of Michael Pittman, there are questions at tight end and the offensive line could use some help at the tackle positions and depth elsewhere.   If these problems can be solved through the draft and free agency before the season begins, with an slightly above average defense like we have now, then the Colts are a definite contender if not favorite for the division title and a good run during the playoffs.  If not, then look for another mediocre season like last year.  

The Colts are pretenders until they stop going 0-for to start the season... I mean, 0-for-1 the past eight seasons, a few 0-4 and 0-5 starts.

Pathetic! 

I don't care about the strength of the roster... the players, the coaches, the FO needs an attitude adjustment, there's no killer instinct, for all the talk about "the locker room" I call nonsense, they quit last year, they are going to need to show me something different before I believe they can contend for anything.

I Love My Colts but this is getting tiresome.

GO :coltslogo:

On 4/6/2022 at 4:53 PM, philba101 said:

I get it, there are still a lot of uncertainties, we still have the draft and the remainder of the FA season. But, can the Colts realistically nail the offseason in a way that makes them contenders?

NO

7 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

The Colts are pretenders until they stop going 0-for to start the season... I mean, 0-for-1 the past eight seasons, a few 0-4 and 0-5 starts.

Pathetic! 

I don't care about the strength of the roster... the players, the coaches, the FO needs an attitude adjustment, there's no killer instinct, for all the talk about "the locker room" I call nonsense, they quit last year, they are going to need to show me something different before I believe they can contend for anything.

I Love My Colts but this is getting tiresome.

GO :coltslogo:

The schedule makers love us so much, they will probably start us off playing KC at home, then at Denver, and at New England Cracking Up Lol GIF by NBA on TNT. I would prefer to have the easiest part of our schedule in the first 6 games for many reasons. One: you don't dig a hole you can't get out of - see last year, 2nd: if you get off to a 5-1 start or so, after that you can play loose against the better teams in which most teams play better in that case.

With the draft and free agency not yet over, my answer is who knows? I'll have a definite answer after training camp, but until then its all guesswork. There is, however, a good group to manipulate into something special. A piece here and there could make a gigantic difference.

Every year, I can put together in my mind how they could be really good. I can put together how the flaws from last year will either be gone or mitigated in some way. Who knows? Some year, I may be right.

This year, I look at everyone screaming how we need better receivers and they may be right. Then I look at how many open receivers were missed or ignored last year. Maybe that's the difference. People complain about the offensive line, which was essentially the same as the previous year. How long did they have to try to hold blocks every play? 

I am hopeful. I may be wrong, but no one is wrong in April.

Archived