Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts a Contender or Pretender? You Decide!

philba101

48 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Where did you see this?

Only list I can find that has IND in the top 8 is USAT.

Nate Davis "says the Colts could run and away and hide with the AFCS crown."  That would be nice...since it's been a long time since that has happened.

Here are the others I found: 

ESPN at #13: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=33587140&_slug_=nfl-power-rankings-2022-post-free-agency-1-32-poll-plus-predicting-next-offseason-move-team

NFL.com at #16: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-post-2022-nfl-free-agency

Unless CBS has another NFL writer, Pete Prisco hasn't updated his rankings yet since mid-Feb. IND is #14, but I imagine there will be some shifting once every team's FA is accounted for. Highly doubt the Colts bump up 6 spots though. 

On ESPN the other day, on First Take there were at least 4 people that picked us to win the South. Stephen A was one of them. On CBS Radio Ryan Hickey and JR have us winning the South. Vegas has us favored to win the South.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not speaking of team performances or team projections. It's like none of you can actually comprehend or read or whatever you want to call it.

What does a projected team ranking have to do with individual difference makers at key positions? 

Based on PFF player rankings

Taylor ranked 1 at his position

Pittman ranked 16

Cox 22 out of 32 only because they had to rank somebody as our TE, he's not even in the top 100 of the entire NFL

No other colts offensive player is even ranked in top 100

And you are going to say we have difference makers? 

One offensive player in the top 15 of the entire NFL. ONE

Pittman is ranked 16th out of his position, meaning he isn't even considered a top 50 player in the NFL

Yea, I'm the least informed... 

I don't give a hoot what the so-called analysts say. they are talking about the overall team. I'm speaking of individual difference makers, not past team performance or projected team performances

PFF is a good way to measure players, I have came around to it but it still doesn't measure eye test. I used to bash PFF but learned more about their metrics so I respect it to a point. Who is better Matt Ryan or Ryan Tannehill? PFF probably says Tannehill without looking and he isn't.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

PFF is a good way to measure players, I have came around to it but it still doesn't measure eye test. I used to bash PFF but learned more about their metrics so I respect it to a point. Who is better Matt Ryan or Ryan Tannehill? PFF probably says Tannehill without looking and he isn't.

My friend, you are doing the same thing that this organization is and has been doing and it has not worked as of yet and yes I'm calling you out as well as them.

This organization keeps hoping and that is what you keep doing as well. Ballard keeps hoping these players he has drafted/signed get magically better at an exorbitant rate and you are hoping that by adding Ryan these players will instantly become better producers.

This is the cycle I and some others keep screaming about. ITS TIME TO GET OFF THIS RIDE. WE ARE DONE WITH HOPING!! WE WANT RESULTS!!

Look, if Ryan is an upgrade great. But don't go into it thinking that an aging upgrade will instantly make all these underwhelming players better. In fact, it was Julio who called Ryan out a couple years ago about his arm strength waning, so Ryan albeit a possible upgrade from Wentz doesn't come without flaws at this stage of his career.

Anyways, go get him difference makers!!! Not on defense, ON OFFENSE. Stop hoping for different results with the same lame offensive players now that a slight upgraded QB has been added to this team. None of these offensive players on this team are very good at all and by the time these players are recycled, you have wasted not only what's left of Ryan's career but you wasted Taylors as well.

I for one am over this hoping for different results baloney. GO PAY FOR PROVEN TALENT or stay on this never ending roundabout. Your choice. Just like that dumb dog chasing tail gif you like posting, but I'm seriously over this garbage. 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On ESPN the other day, on First Take there were at least 4 people that picked us to win the South. Stephen A was one of them. On CBS Radio Ryan Hickey and JR have us winning the South. Vegas has us favored to win the South.

1-3 against AFC West.

2-2 against NFC East.

2-4 against AFC South.

1-2 balance of sched.

6-11 record and 3rd place in AFC South.

I might be off 1 game either way.

17 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My friend, you are doing the same thing that this organization is and has been doing and it has not worked as of yet and yes I'm calling you out as well as them.

This organization keeps hoping and that is what you keep doing as well. Ballard keeps hoping these players he has drafted/signed get magically better at an exorbitant rate and you are hoping that by adding Ryan these players will instantly become better producers.

This is the cycle I and some others keep screaming about. ITS TIME TO GET OFF THIS RIDE. WE ARE DONE WITH HOPING!! WE WANT RESULTS!!

Look, if Ryan is an upgrade great. But don't go into it thinking that an aging upgrade will instantly make all these underwhelming players better. In fact, it was Julio who called Ryan out a couple years ago about his arm strength waning, so Ryan albeit a possible upgrade from Wentz doesn't come without flaws at this stage of his career.

Anyways, go get him difference makers!!! Not on defense, ON OFFENSE. Stop hoping for different results with the same lame offensive players now that a slight upgraded QB has been added to this team. None of these offensive players on this team are very good at all and by the time these players are recycled, you have wasted not only what's left of Ryan's career but you wasted Taylors as well.

I for one am over this hoping for different results baloney. GO PAY FOR PROVEN TALENT or stay on this never ending roundabout. Your choice. Just like that dumb dog chasing tail gif you like posting, but I'm seriously over this garbage. 

Please.  Stop yelling at everyone.  We get it.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

There are at least 3-4 responses in this thread so far that mention the phrase "Not there yet". Ha!!

It's been like what? 5-6 years now. When might we get there? Asking for a friend :D 

At year 6 and still void of actual playmakers/difference makers at real key positions is the dead horse I keep beating. 

The story of this team isn't "We can't find a QB" nonsense. We could've been adding Real talent and then once QB was found we would be set. So here we are. Still limited in Real talent.  

It is a testament to this team being somewhat competitive seeing as their hands are always tied by the GM, however no championships will be won until this team has difference makers that can take you over the top

Conclusion: Pretender

Not really into labels. So I don't think this team is pretending, but I also don't think they are contending.

I clearly base much of my perspective on numbers and it's just very hard to see how this team makes the jump to contender with them. You typically need improvements in multiple areas to make that type of leap. There are some areas that should improve as of now, but also areas that are stagnant or could even be worse.

I also think the potential for regression from TOs/TO differential and the proficiency of the run game is a bit understated. But that's only potential, so it could stay the same. If it does, then I would hope we get to finally see an active TDL for the Colts. 

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Career wise ryan has been  slightly more  accurate  and has a better qb rating  than tannehill. The question  is how good are our nameless wrs

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Not really into labels. So I don't think this team is pretending, but I also don't think they are contending.

I clearly base much of my perspective on numbers and it's just very hard to see how this team makes the jump to contender with them. You typically need improvements in multiple areas to make that type of leap. There are some areas that should improve as of now, but also areas that are stagnant or could even be worse.

I also think the potential for regression from TOs/TO differential and the proficiency of the run game is a bit understated. But that's only potential, so it could stay the same. If it does, then I would hope we get to finally see an active TDL for the Colts. 

We need better redzone offense as well. I believe  Ryan has better touch than wentz so the passes to back of end zone will be better with him

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok. But those aren't exactly football writers who cover the sport, they are just sports commentators. Not really the same as CBS and ESPN having IND in the top 8 of their power rankings.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When I made my thread of my Elite 8, I had Indy at 8 and few scoffed at me. CBS, USA Today, and ESPN all as us top 8. So i guess roughly 30 or so people that follow this sport in the media for a living have no idea what they are talking about high roller laughing GIF

This type of ranking this time of year is pretty much just chatter of course.

If forced i would offer 10-15 for TODAY.  Post FA & Draft i am hoping to feel 10 is more like.
  More importantly, we have at least 8 difference makers at important positions!! Not including Moore, Smith, Kelly, Grover, Kwity, Obeydayo, Oke.
  We are Close, very Close!   

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We need better redzone offense as well. I believe  Ryan has better touch than wentz so the passes to back of end zone will be better with him

Not recently, at least according to his stats in ATL. But one area where I definitely think Ryan can improve the offense is 3D %. That's been a strong suit for several years. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

I'm not speaking of team performances or team projections. It's like none of you can actually comprehend or read or whatever you want to call it.

What does a projected team ranking have to do with individual difference makers at key positions? 

Based on PFF player rankings

Taylor ranked 1 at his position

Pittman ranked 16

Cox 22 out of 32 only because they had to rank somebody as our TE, he's not even in the top 100 of the entire NFL

No other colts offensive player is even ranked in top 100

And you are going to say we have difference makers? 

One offensive player in the top 15 of the entire NFL. ONE

Pittman is ranked 16th out of his position, meaning he isn't even considered a top 50 player in the NFL

Yea, I'm the least informed... 

I don't give a hoot what the so-called analysts say. they are talking about the overall team. I'm speaking of individual difference makers, not past team performance or projected team performances

Hypothetically, yawn, from my recliner, in April, how will we rank in scoring, oh the last 12 games of the regular season? You know, after our new QB settles in.
  Well, let's say hypothetically, we are pretty decent. 10th in scoring.

And uh, somebody has to make some plays to make that happen. You know, makers of Plays.

Ryan will do it, our All-Pro RB will do it, Pittman will do it, Hines will do it.

Granson will be making many big first downs.

We will see about the rest.

ON DEFENSE, our new DE Will be making big plays, Buckner Always does, Leonard is one of the best there is.
 And until proven otherwise i say Q IS a difference maker. 
  Last Year was RANK in many ways.
 It matters ZERO because we have BIG CHANGES on the board already with a number of very young, rising players coming back. And they WILL also make a difference.

Some see promise others wallow in their misery. Go Colts!

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well the Bengals made the super bowl

It is an interesting point. If we could find a way to win our division, (not a given for sure) is there any reason we couldn't put together a run much like the Bengals did last year?

46 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Ok. But those aren't exactly football writers who cover the sport, they are just sports commentators. Not really the same as CBS and ESPN having IND in the top 8 of their power rankings.

I just gave you examples. I hope we draw At Jacksonsville on opening day so Matty Ice can teach those young guys a lesson.

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

It is an interesting point. If we could find a way to win our division, (not a given for sure) is there any reason we couldn't put together a run much like the Bengals did last year?

Yes we can, that has been my point for the last week. Playing in the South gives us a golden opp, with the Ice Man.

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Difference makers. lmao  This may be the LEAST informed post since the end of the season.  Mark it down...
 Knowledgeable COLTS FANS, PFF Just named Our Colts one of the most improved teams SO FAR this off season.  USA Today named us a Top 8 TEAM in the NFL, top 6 in the AFC. 
 But we Ain't got no stinkin' talent!

In fairness, those accolades don't mean anything when you haven't won a division since 2014. The NFL prognosticators like that we ditched Wentz and brought in an edge rusher, but almost all of these same analysts agree that this team needs to add more weapons at tight end and WR to compete with the other AFC contenders.

14 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hypothetically, yawn, from my recliner, in April, how will we rank in scoring, oh the last 12 games of the regular season? You know, after our new QB settles in.

And uh, somebody has to make some plays to make that happen. You know, makers of Plays.

Ryan will do it, our All-Pro RB will do it, Pittman will do it, Hines will do it.

ON DEFENSE, our new DE Will be making big plays, Buckner Always does, Leonard is one of the best there is.
 It matters ZERO because we have BIG CHANGES on the board already with a number of very young, rising players coming back. And they WILL also make a difference.

I have been to 50 Colts home games, that was my goal. Haven't been to a game since 2013 when Andrew beat the Texans 25-3 and we rolled to the Division Title. St Elmo was damn good that good day too. From my recliner I see Matty Ice destroying this division and from the ol recliner I see 12-5 this year. Ryan Tannehill is above average but he is fools gold, that will be proven this year because we have an MVP at QB now. I also think Taylor is better than Henry. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- me after we win the South.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been to 50 Colts home games, that was my goal. Haven't been to a game since 2013 when Andrew beat the Texans 25-3 and we rolled to the Division Title. St Elmo was damn good that good day too. From my recliner I see Matty Ice destroying this division and from the ol recliner I see 12-5 this year. Ryan Tannehill is above average but he is fools gold, that will be proven this year because we have an MVP at QB now. I also think Taylor is better than Henry. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- me after we win the South.

My career is 51 though because I went to Chicago and seen Peyton destroy the Bears in 2004 and Bears fans around me couldn't say  Jack lmao . Edge was awesome that game too.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope we draw At Jacksonsville on opening day so Matty Ice can teach those young guys a lesson.

I want to see them on opening day too, partly so they dont have to go down there late in the year again.  That would be a big opening day victory too if they get it and we do have the better team 

Just now, BlackTiger said:

I want to see them on opening day too, partly so they dont have to go down there late in the year again.  That would be a big opening day victory too if they get it and we do have the better team 

I am just tired of this insane losing streak against a bad team. That loss to end the season chapped my rear to put it bluntly lmao . Makes me sick.

52 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Go Away. You are delusional and no longer worth my time past this moment. If you cannot realize or blatantly refuse to realize that every year for going on 3-6 years now this same old offseason drivel, i.e. your deflection/enabling pep talk about the state of this team and how awesome it is going to be with a bunch of nothing burger talent outside of like 2 offensive players is spewed and are so unaware of why this same old drivel is spewed year after year by those such as yourself, then you need to follow up your yawn with a nice long nap. My drivel is spewed from the other side. From my side, it's the same old "we can do it guys". The same old "fill in the blank" load of bunk that always ends up with another failed season and it has grown old on me as has your mediocre attempt to pound your chest. Your responses seem to be more aligned with convincing yourself, mine is based on 3-6 years of not good enough tired cliches and here we are again. -Peace

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

1-3 against AFC West.

2-2 against NFC East.

2-4 against AFC South.

1-2 balance of sched.

6-11 record and 3rd place in AFC South.

I might be off 1 game either way.

Ok….   Good for you.   At least your back on the record, again. 

Somewhere between 5-12 and 7-10.   Got it. 

I wonder if you’ll feel the same way after the draft?   But I don’t think this prediction will age well. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope we draw At Jacksonsville on opening day so Matty Ice can teach those young guys a lesson.

I hope we draw at Jacksonville opening day too, but for a different reason. Since we always lose at Jacksonville and we always lose opening day, this would eliminate a loss!

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Go Away. You are delusional and no longer worth my time past this moment. If you cannot realize or blatantly refuse to realize that every year for going on 3-6 years now this same old offseason drivel, i.e. your deflection/enabling pep talk about the state of this team and how awesome it is going to be with a bunch of nothing burger talent outside of like 2 offensive players is spewed and are so unaware of why this same old drivel is spewed year after year by those such as yourself, then you need to follow up your yawn with a nice long nap. My drivel is spewed from the other side. From my side, it's the same old "we can do it guys". The same old "fill in the blank" load of bunk that always ends up with another failed season and it has grown old on me as has your mediocre attempt to pound your chest. Your responses seem to be more aligned with convincing yourself, mine is based on 3-6 years of not good enough tired cliches and here we are again. -Peace

Today- if we add one more good vet defender, get a twitchy WR and TE in the draft i guess 10-7 would be right for this group. And hopefully by the end of the season the Team would appear ascending. We get you're tired. My nap is usually around 2. More of a trance but they say i do snore sometimes so... 

I never had any belief in Jacoby so throw out ANY part of those years you are crying about.
 And wanted TY Gone several years ago.
 We are still too young in a lot of positions to play great as a defensive unit that is for certain. So we have not been in any way contenders after Luck, just trying to build a roster full of good players. OH, i'm sorry our LT quit with several good years left in him. Ballards fault!! Turay, Lewis, Banogu. On him AND HIS Scouts.
 Not that much hope for the season with Rivers but we exceeded mosts reasonable expectations. Yeah!

And Wentz/Reich hopes were based on Reich knowing more than we did.
 Why wouldn't a Reasonable thinker have some expectation of Wentz turning his game around. Whaaaaaaaaaaa! I didn't like his game, he's FIRED. 
 Life's Tuff! And we adapt! 
  The PAST means nothing. We have MAJOR Changes and their is Great Reason for improvement and optimism. 
  You need to either quit complaining and look at the pieces in a logical manner or get you a frontrunner so you can be happy.-Peace
 Pittman 95 catches  1200 yds 10 tds  STUD!
 Take away Ryan and Ngauk/? give me Mariotta, and in the near term i was going to be watching more Bengals for my football rush. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

Why do we only assume the Colts will get better after the draft? If that's the idea wouldn't it be fair to say that any team that has more picks and higher picks than the Colts will also get better but even more so by virtue of having more valuable picks?

We can hope the Colts hit in the draft and we can hope our players improve from last year and we can hope that nobody elses draft class improves their team and we can hope that nobody elses players get better this offseason.

This settles into a previous posters comments - hope is not a strategy and I frankly have no idea what Ballard's strategy is right now. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….   Good for you.   At least your back on the record, again. 

Somewhere between 5-12 and 7-10.   Got it. 

I wonder if you’ll feel the same way after the draft?   But I don’t think this prediction will age well. 

If Matty Ice stays healthy along with Taylor, Leonard, Nelson, Buck, Moore, Yannick, Pittman, and Hines, no way in hell we go 5-12 lmao . That dude is trolling. We will win the division and I can't wait until we do to tell everyone I told them so :thmup:

Archived