Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For people who ask why did the Colts pay Leonard?

GoColts8818

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

His 9 INTs are the most of any linebacker since he entered the league.

He has forced double digit fumbles in his career.

He has forced five fumbles in the last four games.

He’s a playmaker.  That’s why.

These splash plays are what matter in the defense.  Regardless of position, if you can cause that many turnovers, you deserve to get paid.

1 hour ago, Mouthfire said:

These splash plays are what matter in the defense.  Regardless of position, if you can cause that many turnovers, you deserve to get paid.

26 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

The man is out earning that money.

Yes I think that’s what mouthfire was saying.  Leonard isn’t perfect but no question he’s a play maker and those are kinds of guys you need to win in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, DrColtsFan said:

Was watching him closely at game today, some plays he seemed agile and quick, but others, like running after his interception he looked slow. Wonder if it’s the bad ankle?

They said on the post game show they took him out at the end to rest his ankle and the ankle management is something he will be dealing with all season so I’d say you are right.  When he got the pick he looked to going towards someone to lateral again too.  I think he knows he can’t run that far on it.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They said on the post game show they took him out at the end to rest his ankle and the ankle management is something he will be dealing with all season so I’d say you are right.  When he got the pick he looked to going towards someone to lateral again too.  I think he knows he can’t run that far on it.

Agree. Good thing he makes quick decisions at the snap of the ball- helps out since that ankle is slowing him down. 

I am one of those who questions paying him so much money, especially considering his ankle history. 

(I wish some smart fella like @EastStreet would post some PFF info that compares linebackers this season. I am curious how Darius is stacking up to his peers currently? Is he getting takeovers, but a liability in other areas such as run stopping etc?)  

Anyways, he is forcing turnovers and making me regret my open negativity of him and his massive contract. The turnovers, along with the way Wentz is playing, could make the colts more dangerous. And it seems like no matter what PFF grades him out as, the turnovers alone are worth his contract.  

4 minutes ago, Ratking said:

I am one of those who questions paying him so much money, especially considering his ankle history. 

(I wish some smart fella like @EastStreet would post some PFF info that compares linebackers this season. I am curious how Darius is stacking up to his peers currently? Is he getting takeovers, but a liability in other areas such as run stopping etc?)  

Anyways, he is forcing turnovers and making me regret my open negativity of him and his massive contract. The turnovers, along with the way Wentz is playing, could make the colts more dangerous. And it seems like no matter what PFF grades him out as, the turnovers alone are worth his contract.  

He is average in pass coverage, only problem I have is when people say he stinks, he doesn't stink. He creates turnovers in a lot of games, he has in the last 4. He is great against the run and tackling.

Just now, pgt_rob said:

Beats reading all the negative stuff on the Colts subreddit about Leonard. People calling him trash and scum because he doesn’t have the vax. Leonard out there making plays. Money well spent!

People need to separate his play and not getting the Vax, one has nothing do with the other. Like Luck's play, he was very good in reality (his stats and record back me up) but his retirement sucked - one has nothing to do with the other.

Turnovers count for a lot. I remember the Saints D giving up lots of yards and enough points during their SB season but boy did they generate turnovers on pass defense. That makes up for a lot of ills, IMO. 

Now, if our corners can generate enough INTs consistently, this D can take the next step because let us face it, passing the ball to set up the run and pass defense is what this league is about.

23 minutes ago, Ratking said:

Most of the "ranks" are behind the paywall, but doesn't take a smart fella to make some assumptions.

The top 3 LBs are mid 80s to low 90s graded. Leonard before today was 68ish. So he's a few tiers below the top 3 guys.

He's getting nice bumps for the turnovers, but he's been a liability in pass coverage. Baltimore picked on both of our LBs last week, but PFF specifically called out Leonard, even though it was Oke who gave up both the TD and 2pt conversion late. 

He's also struggled some vs the run at times this year. He had 4 missed tackles going into this week, compared to only 7 the entire season last year. Have to assume the ankle is impacting him. 

At the end of the day, he is what he is. Great vs the run (normally), suspect vs the pass. Not anything new. He's great at * though, probably the best in the NFL. His punch attempt vs TN though got him trucked by Henry. Normally it works on lesser RBs and WRs. The INT today though wasn't all that impressive (pretty much right o him). That's not a criticism, just I don't give a lot of credit on horrible passes. 

Hmmm, which is better....lesser defense numbers but higher TO ratio, or great defense numbers with low TO ratio. 

I know which one I want on my team. Like the comment already posted....he is out-earning his contract. Post salary cap increase next season....he is a bargain. 

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Hmmm, which is better....lesser defense numbers but higher TO ratio, or great defense numbers with low TO ratio. 

I know which one I want on my team. Like the comment already posted....he is out-earning his contract. Post salary cap increase next season....he is a bargain. 

I honestly don't know which one I would want. I feel like I would prefer better defensive numbers that T.O. 

Out-earning his contract now...interesting. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Turnovers count for a lot. I remember the Saints D giving up lots of yards and enough points during their SB season but boy did they generate turnovers on pass defense. That makes up for a lot of ills, IMO. 

Now, if our corners can generate enough INTs consistently, this D can take the next step because let us face it, passing the ball to set up the run and pass defense is what this league is about.

For me, this is what envision this defense to ultimately be.

I want sacks and turnovers. I dont care so much about PPG or YPG. 

Of course I dont want to give up a ton of points. But I feel like thats the state of affairs in the NFL these days. The rules are clearly set up to favor offense and its kind of tough to shut teams down anymore. 

But if you can score points on offense, as well as generate turovers and pressure the QB on defense.....then you can beat anybody on any given Sunday.

4 hours ago, DrColtsFan said:

Was watching him closely at game today, some plays he seemed agile and quick, but others, like running after his interception he looked slow. Wonder if it’s the bad ankle?

At the game, you also saw him sitting on the ground during a time out while the Colts were on Def and getting work on his ankle, before TV came back

Leonard has always seemed to have a knack for creating turnovers and he seems to be able to do it at key times (e.g., his forced fumble last year against the Texans).  Today's game, though it wasn't a spectacular INT, it came at a key moment.  Up 10-3, HOU got a stop on us to start the 2nd half... had they scored and tied the game after getting the ball back, it's a different game -- Leonard getting the pick to give us the ball right back (with good field position), really shifted momentum today and allowed us to blow the game wide open.

It does seem to me like Leonard is having kind of a down year (considering he's been an all-pro his first three years, it isn't shocking to see him slip some).  My guess is a good bit of that is due to his ankle.  It also seems like he's being used a bit differently without Walker around.  Additionally, as our front four (hopefully) continues to improve (remember we're missing Autry and Houston who were two of the 3 biggest pieces on last years front four, Paye and Turay have battled injuries all year, etc.), I think Leonard will benefit.

Anyway, Leonard is definitely a leader of this team and brings a high level of energy and excitement to the group.  Glad he is a Colt... hopefully he can get this ankle issue figured out and remain healthy and on the field for us for a long time to come.

5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Leonard has always seemed to have a knack for creating turnovers and he seems to be able to do it at key times (e.g., his forced fumble last year against the Texans).  Today's game, though it wasn't a spectacular INT, it came at a key moment.  Up 10-3, HOU got a stop on us to start the 2nd half... had they scored and tied the game after getting the ball back, it's a different game -- Leonard getting the pick to give us the ball right back (with good field position), really shifted momentum today and allowed us to blow the game wide open.

It does seem to me like Leonard is having kind of a down year (considering he's been an all-pro his first three years, it isn't shocking to see him slip some).  My guess is a good bit of that is due to his ankle.  It also seems like he's being used a bit differently without Walker around.  Additionally, as our front four (hopefully) continues to improve (remember we're missing Autry and Houston who were two of the 3 biggest pieces on last years front four, Paye and Turay have battled injuries all year, etc.), I think Leonard will benefit.

Anyway, Leonard is definitely a leader of this team and brings a high level of energy and excitement to the group.  Glad he is a Colt... hopefully he can get this ankle issue figured out and remain healthy and on the field for us for a long time to come.

Leonard is great and great at creating turnovers, he will make all-pro again. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I always find it odd after DL has a good game,  @Moosejawcoltnever posts.  of he has an average game,  he has tons to say.    Why is that?   If we get Q and Braden back this week,  the 9ers are in trouble

The Texans have a horrible O line. I don't care bout how they do against a crappy team. I judge then based on how they play play off teams. It is Ballardcwho views them as superbowl contenders and I do not.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

His 9 INTs are the most of any linebacker since he entered the league.

He has forced double digit fumbles in his career.

He has forced five fumbles in the last four games.

He’s a playmaker.  That’s why.

As we can now expect him to get shredded in pass D by good QB'S.

He is excellent going forward, very replaceable in space. For hi$ money he should be very good in space. That's why not.

31 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Turnovers are great but can’t depend on them every game. It’s like we just leave people open and hope for a TO.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

As we can now expect him to get shredded in pass D by good QB'S.

He is excellent going forward, very replaceable in space. For hi$ money he should be very good in space. That's why not.

He was actually good in coverage in 2019. His passer rating allowed was low 60s. He had 5 INTs that year, which helped. Those were great stats.

He took a big step back in coverage last year and gave up a near a 110 passer rating (3 TDS allowed), and had no INTs. Not good.

This year, he's allowing close to a 115 passer rating (already has allowed 3TDs tying last year), but does have 2 INTs. The 115ish passer rating allowed is just plain bad. As of last week he also had near a 10% missed tackle rate, which is bad. 4 in total, which he only had 7 in all of last year. Oke already has 6 as of last week. Holy ouch LB..... 

I'm sure the sunshine folks will say "don't look at all those passes and TDs allowed, or the missed tackles, and please please only look at all the forced fumbles and INTs".. lol.

The simple truth is both INTs were gifts (Tannehill hit him right in the numbers, and he barely had to jump for Mills's bad pass).

The truth is also he's the best in the league at punching out balls and forcing fumbles. And he's also not 100% this year.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I always find it odd after DL has a good game,  @Moosejawcoltnever posts.  of he has an average game,  he has tons to say.    Why is that?   If we get Q and Braden back this week,  the 9ers are in trouble

He won't post because he doesn't want DL or Q on the roster, his takes are so comical that I just play along.

25 minutes ago, runthepost said:

There was another poster, can’t remember his name but he said Buckner and DL are above average players lmao

Pretty sure most think they are better than above average, and just debate their value. or are honest about deficient areas in their game. Leonard is the #1 paid LB in the NFL. Buckner the #2 paid DT. If they are not performing up to a certain level in various ares, I think it's fair to debate the value. 

For instance, honest question. Where would you expect the #2 paid DT to rank in Sacks and/or Pressures among DTs? Top 10? Top 5? 

Good game for DL, but that team is JAC from a year ago (won their first game but possibly won’t win more than one).

And objectively, you can’t ignore everything else this season because of TOs. His other two TOs came in games where he was not very good overall (SEA and TEN).

And I would argue he is paid at his level to do a lot more than a handful of TOs. 

But I think his level of play is being impacted by injury.

31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pretty sure most think they are better than above average, and just debate their value. or are honest about deficient areas in their game. Leonard is the #1 paid LB in the NFL. Buckner the #2 paid DT. If they are not performing up to a certain level in various ares, I think it's fair to debate the value. 

For instance, honest question. Where would you expect the #2 paid DT to rank in Sacks and/or Pressures among DTs? Top 10? Top 5? 

Half of his sacks in Indy have come against HOU (3 games). Hell, he only had 2 sacks heading into Week 13 last year. 

He’s a great player, but I think people were way too high on his sack potential for this season.

10 hours ago, DrColtsFan said:

Was it his ankle he’s having trouble with?

seemed better with lateral movement and it sure seemed when he tried to sprint he pulls up.

he’s a straight up savage!

Go Colts!

Archived