Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard getting Love!

TimetobringDfence!

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Screenshot_20210824-211650_Facebook.jpg

Is there a link to the original source?

I believe this... but would be interesting to see what the criteria for 'best' actually is and what angle the NFL Agents are voting from (e.g., is he the best to work with in terms of getting deals done? the fairest guy in negotiations?  the best at engaging with fans? or is he, what I am most concerned with, the 'best at building a winning football team'?)

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I believe this... but would be interesting to see what the criteria for 'best' actually is and what angle the NFL Agents are voting from (e.g., is he the best to work with in terms of getting deals done? the fairest guy in negotiations?  the best at engaging with fans? or is he, what I am most concerned with, the 'best at building a winning football team'?)

https://www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2020/7/13/21322641/colts-gm-chris-ballard-voted-by-nfl-agents-as-the-leagues-most-trustworthy-exec

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I was just thinking the same thing. What exactly were they rating on? 

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

My bad I'll kept that in mind.

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Screenshot_20210824-211650_Facebook.jpg

So for all those asking, the Athletic did polls of 33 agents and they voted on a few different things, and it just is their opinion. He also had most trusted and One more thing. Howie Roseman was least trusted. Some of the stuff said was that he was a straight shooter and was honest, other good eye for talent and stuff like that is what they said

By the way….

Abd not for nothing….

This is NOT the first time agents have voted Ballard the Best GM.   It happened last year too.   I’m not sure about 2019?   Not sure how many times this poll has been done?

But agents seriously like and trust Ballard, and that’s only to the good.  No downside to that. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way….

Abd not for nothing….

This is NOT the first time agents have voted Ballard the Best GM.   It happened last year too.   I’m not sure about 2019?   Not sure how many times this poll has been done?

But agents seriously like and trust Ballard, and that’s only to the good.  No downside to that. 

In 2018, the Pro Football Writers Association named him executive of the year. The year he drafted Nelson, Leonard, and Smith and hired Reich. We went 10-6 that year and won a playoff game at Houston. There are not many in here but a few Ballard haters but they know had Luck not retired we would've probably won a SB by now or at least made the AFC Title Game (KC is a bear). That would set any GM back when you have a great QB like that retire on the fly.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way….

Abd not for nothing….

Per the article, it was his third year in a row that he has been voted. I am not sure if stampede said so, but the athletic did

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Anyone have those scores from the Grigson years?

interested kevin nash GIF

Grigson had Andrew Luck at his best for 3 years straight, a key to a Ferrari and couldn't build a team around him. Bad O.Line and no run game. That FO got Luck injured. That is a fail. Had Ballard took over in 2012, Luck and the Colts would have a SB win by now, that is my opinion.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Grigson had Andrew Luck at his best for 3 years straight, a key to a Ferrari and couldn't build a team around him. Bad O.Line and no run game. That FO got Luck injured. That is a fail. Had Ballard took over in 2012, Luck and the Colts would have a SB win by now, that is my opinion.

How come we don't hate the Titans for injuring Luck or the Broncos for turning him into a pretzel?

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How come we don't hate the Titans for injuring Luck or the Broncos for turning him into a pretzel?

What does this even mean? Grigson never built a team around a potentially top 10 QB of all-time, can't sugarcoat it no matter what you bring up. Luck had to do it all for the team to win and pull out wins. If Luck had a running game, he wouldn't of had to try to make that run against the Broncos so the team could win.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way….

Abd not for nothing….

But agents seriously like and trust Ballard, and that’s only to the good.  No downside to that

I wouldn't say "no downside".  These are agents doing the voting.  Wouldn't most agents prefer a GM who the agent can win most negotiations?    If you can get your client to be the highest paid player at his position, the agent wins.  Just throwing another view out here.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are not many in here but a few Ballard haters but they know had Luck not retired we would've probably won a SB by now or at least made the AFC Title Game (KC is a bear). That would set any GM back when you have a great QB like that retire on the fly.

Not only would that have set any GM back, it could have spelled the end to that GMs time in the organization.  The ability to find a decent replacement QB is a pretty tall order and we have seen over the years some GMs just don't get it done.  Ballard, rather than do what many GMs do, has looked into every option to replace Luck.  An even if we haven't been to the SB or AFC championship, Ballard has kept this team competitive.  

Many GMs follow the route of trading away the future of a team to move up in the draft and get a rookie who has a 50/50 shot of being any good.  And then it is too difficult to build the team to support that rookie because so much draft capital is traded away.  Ballard wasn't willing to get desperate and overpay.  

We might want Ballard to move faster, or we might disagree with some of the players he has drafted-traded for, but he has done an excellent job of altering his plan once his franchise QB disappeared and continuing to improve the team.  And just maybe he found a guy that can get the job done at QB.  We will see.

16 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Not only would that have set any GM back, it could have spelled the end to that GMs time in the organization.  The ability to find a decent replacement QB is a pretty tall order and we have seen over the years some GMs just don't get it done.  Ballard, rather than do what many GMs do, has looked into every option to replace Luck.  An even if we haven't been to the SB or AFC championship, Ballard has kept this team competitive.  

Many GMs follow the route of trading away the future of a team to move up in the draft and get a rookie who has a 50/50 shot of being any good.  And then it is too difficult to build the team to support that rookie because so much draft capital is traded away.  Ballard wasn't willing to get desperate and overpay.  

We might want Ballard to move faster, or we might disagree with some of the players he has drafted-traded for, but he has done an excellent job of altering his plan once his franchise QB disappeared and continuing to improve the team.  And just maybe he found a guy that can get the job done at QB.  We will see.

We see it way to often, but people mostly remember the QB's who were successful.  They remember the trade up for MaHolmes but forget the trade up for Darnold, Lynch, Rosen, Trubisky, Gabbert, Sanchez and others.  With Ballards skill at drafting, the picks are worth more than other teams picks.  The Jets gave us 3 2nd round picks to swap the 3rd and 6th pick in the draft.  Darnold isn't even on the team anymore. 

Remember what Ballard did with those picks?

Jets receive

No. 3 overall (2018): QB Sam Darnold

Colts receive

No. 6 overall (2018): LG Quenton Nelson

No. 37 overall (2018): RT Braden Smith

No. 52 overall (2018): DE Kemoko Turay

No. 169 overall (2018): RB Jordan Wilkins

No. 34 overall (2019): CB Rock Ya-Sin

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What does this even mean? Grigson never built a team around a potentially top 10 QB of all-time, can't sugarcoat it no matter what you bring up. Luck had to do it all for the team to win and pull out wins. If Luck had a running game, he wouldn't of had to try to make that run against the Broncos so the team could win.

I wasn't defending Grigson. I was just making a point.

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 

Ballard is the best? I figured he'd be top 5 no matter how you split it, but best? Bar set. 

If Wentz shows longevity here in Indy Ballard will be the number 1 GM in football. Might be asking too much of Wentz. I am little to not worried at all about his ability to play at a high level. 

46 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

If Wentz shows longevity here in Indy Ballard will be the number 1 GM in football. Might be asking too much of Wentz. I am little to not worried at all about his ability to play at a high level. 

I can't think of bigger question mark than what Wentz will do. Based on evidence, we should be at least aware that it might not work. Dude played bad last year, showed up, got hurt, is 5 practices in with the team, slated to start in a few weeks and is at the best shaking rust right now. 

Archived