Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Titans argument for winning AFC South

BProland85

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

You could also argue they got worse this offseason, especially if you count their loss of Offensive Coordinator Arthur Smith, who was the mastermind in getting Tannehill back on track.

They also lost starting WR Corey Davis, starting TE Jonnu Smith, staters at corner Malcolm Butler and Adoree Jackson, and starting safety Kenny Vacarro. 

Their additions of Caleb Farley, Janoris Jenkins, and Bud Dupree all have question marks attached to them, whether it's injury or age related. 

Outside of losing their OC (which is definitely an unknown), I don't see how you can argue they got worse from a talent standpoint:

Offense

Julio's career yards/game in HIGHER than Smith and Davis combined. Same story the past three seasons.

Even if we use last year's numbers, TEN lost 15 yards/game if we just compare to Julio. But then we also have to use Josh Reynolds' numbers, which more than makes up for that production (had 38 yards/game last year).

From a production/cost standpoint, they are playing chess. They didn't have to pay Corey Davis/Jonnu Smith a combined $25M in AAV to keep them. I mean...Corey Davis' contract from the NYJ is basically the same as Julio's remaining contract.

But even if we use Julio's $15.3M base this year, that means for ~$17M (including Reynolds), TEN added a pair of pass catchers that had 20+ more yards/game last season. So they saved a big chunk of cap AND added production. 

And that's just the regular season. Nobody talks about Julio's playoff performances. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to see him consistently in the playoffs. But when we have, he has been phenomenal. 

And it dwarfs the production they have gotten from Davis or Smith in the playoffs. The chance to put that type of production on a playoff team is worth the 2nd round pick alone.

They did pay a 2nd and a 4th. But it's really just a 2nd because they are projected to get a 4th round comp for Smith.

They also will get Lewan back. 

Defense

They were one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. They are turning over 6/11 starters on defense. There is really nowhere to go but up.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

The division will come down to Titans and Colts this year. I like what the Titans did in the off-season.. their corners got lit up last year so losing them doesn’t seem like a big deal.

However, I’ve said it many times in these forums, people just don’t understand how good Wentz is going to be with this line and running game. Colts win the division, Titans snag a wild card.

I think this is the likely scenario but if Watson plays for Houston this year, I wouldn't be comfortable ruling them out totally. And if Lawrence is as good as he is supposed to be, he won't need that much time to adapt. Luck turned the Colts around in one season and i think the roster the Colts gave Luck was worse than what JVille have given Lawrence so the Jags could be a big factor as well.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Defense

They were one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. They are turning over 6/11 starters on defense. There is really nowhere to go but up.

Or stay the same or even be worse. Better  isn’t necessarily the only option. :)

11 hours ago, Four2itus said:

You mean like they do after every draft, every season that ends without a SB, and every time the Colts do not sign the FA they wanted?

Or after every mistake made in a game

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Titans own the AFC South until the Colts can learn how to win it...

They said the same about the Texans this time last year....

Titans are the team to beat in the division.  This was a very good move by them and may be enough to get them back to the title game. Colts can beat them but it will be a tough matchup. Should be a couple great games this year with playoff implications. Can’t wait!!

19 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Titans are the team to beat in the division.  This was a very good move by them and may be enough to get them back to the title game. Colts can beat them but it will be a tough matchup. Should be a couple great games this year with playoff implications. Can’t wait!!

AFC South Division - Odds to Win - January 02, 2022 13:00 EST 

Selection

Odds

Indianapolis Colts

5/6

Tennessee Titans

3/2

Jacksonville Jaguars

10/1

Houston Texans

27/1

Above is from carbon gaming. Some of the other sites have the colts just slightly favored over the titans. So the betting sites don't agree with all the posters on our site that claim Tenn is the team to best. The above , which will take all the Tenn action you like has the Colts abpretty big favorite. 

For those that aren't familiar with betting odds it would be as follows . For every $6 for bet on the Colts , you win $5. That same $6 bet on Tenn earns you $9. Huge difference as the return is about double for a Titan bet.

To me, it's a "push" in a lot of areas.

QB situation - TN is probably more stable coming in. Tannehill doesn't have the ceiling Wentz has, but also doesn't have the floor. On paper, advantage TN, but most will likely project Wentz as being as good or better in Indy.

RB - they have the best RB, we have the best unit. Henry is hands down the best RB in the league though.

OL - Advantage Indy on paper when counting Fisher. Advantage TN not counting Fisher. TN is much better, top 5ish in run blocking. Indy will be top 5 overall if Fisher comes back to form. All depends on Fisher IMO. And TN adding Radunz may take some time, but IMO, will be good for them as the year goes on, or at minimum next year.

WR - Advantage TN. Brown and Jones if healthy will be a top 5ish duo if TN was known for their passing game. They're not though. They'll be 2nd to TN's running attack. Still, advantage to TN on paper. Now if Campbell stays healthy and Pittman takes a step forward, along with Wentz being 17 or 19 Wentz, Indy could easily be better. Again, a lot of ifs.

TE - Advantage Indy given who TN lost. 

Front 7 D - Push. Simmons is good, and Autry will likely play well in their 3-4. Simmons was 80+ in PFF grading so anyone that wants to pooh pooh him is pretty silly. Their LBs aren't starts but pretty solid. Our front 7 includes one 3T and one WILL that are obviously good, but the rest are question marks. In short, we'll have 3 returning full time starters, and 4 newbs. 

DBs - advantage TN, but not by a lot. All three vets are solid. Not great, but very solid. They do not have the weak grades we do in various spots. Farley could be very solid or even very good. Molden, their 3rd round pick, could be decent too. We return all of our guys, but our passing D was 20th last year. Go ahead and fool yourself with the bend-don't-break foolishness if you want, but bottom line, we played some very bad teams..... 

10 hours ago, bleevit said:

If I were a betting man and I HAD to pick between the Colts and Titans to win the division, I believe that I'd go with the Colts by a narrow margin. The key for me is the depth issue. Injuries are a constant companion in the NFL and I think the Colts can withstand a few more than the Titans. Julio Jones was a tremendous addition to their team but he has been a little brittle of late. Derrick Henry is a beast but has been fortunate thus far. Either one of those guys go down and who is the replacement? They have bet big that Julio will stay healthy. Beyond that my other reason is the defense. I think the Colts have a tremendous advantage in the front seven at both D line and linebacker. If the Colts can get pressure on Tannehill it will go a long way to deciding the head to head matchups. I can't stop this without mentioning that Carson Wentz could also make a huge impact either good or bad. We'll see.

Good post and I make a lot of predictions but this is one bet I would stay away from if money was on the line. Reason being is there is a mystery factor with both teams. Examples are, how good will Wentz be for us, how good will their (Titans) defense be? I have it as 50/50 as of now. Too close to call. 

13 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

To be fair, Tennessee fans have every reason to feel happy and even cocky. They are the defending division champs, they're a year removed from getting to the AFC finals, they are regulars in the playoffs.

Julio Jones >>> Corey Davis. Sure, there might be some questions about how he fits in but on paper it's a significant upgrade. Arguing that having three of those wideouts would have been better is all good but it doesn't mean that Brown and Jones isn't much better than Brown and Davis. Also, how many teams have THREE star wideouts like that? 3 WR1s.

As for them being a run-first team, we'll see. They have a new OC right? Even if they stick with the offense Arthur Smith ran, their WRs and passing game still got theirs and the offense wasn't just solely a pound-it offense.

They've earned the right to be cocky. It's on the Colts to level up and take the division, we have not done that since 2014. 

I disagree. If something happens to Henry that offense is pretty much boned unless they have more than one ace up their sleeve, then they will more than likely look foolish for overpaying for a pass rush because the defense will be on the field 35-40 minutes a game.

The Colts might have some unproven talent but they have depth, particularly at RB.

1 minute ago, JoeThornburg said:

I disagree. If something happens to Henry that offense is pretty much boned unless they have more than one ace up their sleeve, then they will more than likely look foolish for overpaying for a pass rush because the defense will be on the field 35-40 minutes a game.

Tannehill was top 5 in both passer rating and QBR, and just upgraded at WR. TN has simply ridden Henry by choice, but doesn't necessarily need too. IMO they could do much more in the passing game, but have chosen not to. I agree TN would be hurt bad if Henry went down, but their OL is top 5ish i run blocking, so a lot of RBs could do pretty well there.

In short, hurt yes, boned, probably not. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Selection

Odds

Indianapolis Colts

5/6

Tennessee Titans

3/2

Jacksonville Jaguars

10/1

Houston Texans

27/1

Above is from carbon gaming. Some of the other sites have the colts just slightly favored over the titans. So the betting sites don't agree with all the posters on our site that claim Tenn is the team to best. The above , which will take all the Tenn action you like has the Colts abpretty big favorite. 

For those that aren't familiar with betting odds it would be as follows . For every $6 for bet on the Colts , you win $5. That same $6 bet on Tenn earns you $9. Huge difference as the return is about double for a Titan bet.

I don’t follow anything that has to do with gambling but thank you for posting.     If the Colts don’t beat the Titans this year they won’t win the division. Colts can beat them but the Titans will be a very tough team. They are defending champs of our division and will be a scary team to face for the next few years. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Selection

Odds

Indianapolis Colts

5/6

Tennessee Titans

3/2

Jacksonville Jaguars

10/1

Houston Texans

27/1

here's a site that list 10 or more lines.

Indy and TN are pretty much the same. A few have Indy as favs, a few TN. And the difference at most is 5 (example +105 vs +110).

https://www.oddschecker.com/us/football/nfl/afc-south/winner

I don’t know if this is true, but roughly a week ago, it feels like most members in our community thought we were a slight favorite in the AFC South. 

Today, after the Jones trade, it feels like most members think of the Titans as the slight favorite in the AFC South. 

I was ok a week ago, and I’m ok now.   In the grand scheme of things, perception doesn’t matter.   We get to play the Titans twice.   We have a 17-game schedule.   We control our own fate, our destiny.  As a fan, that’s all I ask for.   Give us a shot.  I like this team and want to see it on the field.  I’ll take my chances as a fan of the Colts. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know if this is true, but roughly a week ago, it feels like most members in our community thought we were a slight favorite in the AFC South. 

Today, after the Jones trade, it feels like most members think of the Titans as the slight favorite in the AFC South. 

I was ok a week ago, and I’m ok now.   In the grand scheme of things, perception doesn’t matter.   We get to play the Titans twice.   We have a 17-game schedule.   We control our own fate, our destiny.  As a fan, that’s all I ask for.   Give us a shot.  I like this team and want to see it on the field.  I’ll take my chances as a fan of the Colts. 

Yup. Personally I felt we had a little bit of a leg up after the draft, but just a little. Now I think TN has a little leg up after getting Jones. TN basically replaced a great TE with a great outside WR. I think Tannehill will absolutely like the trade off though. Reynolds is a nice pick up too, and seemed to be starting to develop with the Rams. Both Jones and Reynolds have good size and could be a handful for teams who also have to worry about Brown.

Ds on both sides have a ton of Qs. And obviously Wentz is a huge Q for us. I honestly could see either team winning the AFCS easily, or a neck and neck race till the end. I also think the Jags will make some things interesting, especially late in the year.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Tannehill was top 5 in both passer rating and QBR, and just upgraded at WR. TN has simply ridden Henry by choice, but doesn't necessarily need too. IMO they could do much more in the passing game, but have chosen not to. I agree TN would be hurt bad if Henry went down, but their OL is top 5ish i run blocking, so a lot of RBs could do pretty well there.

In short, hurt yes, boned, probably not. 

Good points all around with your take on the situation as usual man. I just look at this move with Jones and something in my gut just doesn't sit right. It's like they went all in on a 2 year window, particularly with the Dupree and Autry signings. Then they go and do this? I get it because Atlanta ate the dead cap on his contract but a 2nd rounder for a 32-33 year old player not on the interior line is not something I would have done lightly. Then again I'm a Pittsburgher and I have watched the Steelers play catch and release with young guys on the outside for years now, so to me this is like, the opposite of that philosophy.  I will say that it's a smart signing from the perspective of having a veteran presence in the WR room, a Hall of Fame presence for that matter.

Also, I feel as if the analytics concerning Tennessee's run blocking are a bit skewed because they have the best back of this generation. I could never understand why the guy didn't start earlier. Talk about a horse. Plus, I mean run blocking isn't where a lot of guys up front have issues, it's normally in the pass game.

It's definitely a 2 horse race in the AFC South but TEN also has to go through the same gauntlet that IND does in terms of schedule, and they have KC, at home, but still. 

8 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Still not the Colts........They gotta figure out how to win the South.

My point being, every year some one is proclaimed to be this or that and more times than not, it fails to come true. 

that said, Tennessee will be tough. They were tough last year despite a crappy D. Which I think got a whole lot better with their additions. But any success they have I feel will be a flash in the pan. Going all in during FA and trades rarely works long term. They have the feeling of the Texans from a couple years ago. 

as for the Colts winning the South, it’s simple, just win all 6 games against our division rivals and who cares about the rest haha

21 hours ago, BProland85 said:

This video made me laugh at just how blinded Clay Travis is for his Titans. He named Simmons as the top DT in the league LOL. He said their defense is now fixed with the questionable additions of Caleb Farley, Janoris Jenkins, and Bud Dupree. 

I hope this all blows up in their faces, as a lot of Titans fans are this delusional after the Julio trade. I live in Nashville so I should know. 

Wow that TItans homer dude is a putz lol.

Hahahaha @ 2:08 the other guy puts up stats on #2 WR's that have better stats than Julio Jones.......

Zach Pascal. 

20 hours ago, Myles said:

The Titans improved their defense through the draft and free agent signings.

Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

Farley’s injuries caused him to fall down the boards, but this is a home run in terms of talent. He’s a long, physical corner who immediately takes over the CB1 spot in Tennessee. They needed to fill in this spot. 

The injury risk causes his grade to slip from me, but his talent is undeniable. If Farley stays healthy, this is a steal. 

Grade: A-

Elijah Molden, DB, Washington

After a puzzling pick in Rice, the Titans rebounded and selected an excellent nickel corner/safety in Elijah Molden. Molden is a fluid, sticky, and instinctual coverage corner. It’s stunning he fell this far, but the Titans get their Desmond King replacement (upgrade?) with the 100th pick.

Grade: A+

Rashad Weaver, EDGE, Pitt

The Titans’ pass rush was among the league’s worst last season. After spending big on Bud Dupree, the team could use some depth to fill out their room. Rashad Weaver was incredibly productive at Pitt, and his technique and agility should translate well to the next level. I like the pick as a rotational piece on the edge.

Grade: A

They signed Dupree and Autry which makes their D-line much better.   

Janoris Jenkins, Caleb Farley, Elijah Molden, Bud Dupree, Denico Autry and Rashad Weaver...all added to their defense. That's several new starters and potentially 5-6 players that make a big impact. If we Colts fans can count on Paye and Dayo to help out (and offset offseason losses), then we should anticipate the same for TEN's rookies to do something similar.

We also talk about internal development and improvements...so you have guys like Simmons, Landry, Evans and Fulton who could continue to progress. Simmons is on that next tier of DT...and if he can make the leap...we saw firsthand the impact that a player like that can have to an overall defense.

They also will have Amani Hooker stepping into a starting role (who I think could be a very good S). I think that could be similar to what Blackmon  did for the Colts when he played a bigger role.

Jayon Brown is also back and should be healthy. 

They also brought in Jim Schwartz as a senior defensive assistant. After leaving the HC job in DET, the guy has been around good-great defenses:

2014 BUF (DC): #3 DVOA

2016-2020 PHI (DC): #4 DVOA, #5 DVOA, #15 DVOA, #12 DVOA, #15 DVOA

Last year, TEN was #29 in DVOA. If Schwartz can help get them to just match the worst defense from that list, that would a huge improvement. It would be also be very bad

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good post and I make a lot of predictions but this is one bet I would stay away from if money was on the line. Reason being is there is a mystery factor with both teams. Examples are, how good will Wentz be for us, how good will their (Titans) defense be? I have it as 50/50 as of now. Too close to call. 

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't bet on this situation now with the number of variables that we have no way of knowing at this point. I would, however, be willing to revisit this subject after the Colts play their first two games. I think Seattle and LA will tell us a lot about what this Colts team can be. 

21 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Outside of losing their OC (which is definitely an unknown), I don't see how you can argue they got worse from a talent standpoint:

Offense

Julio's career yards/game in HIGHER than Smith and Davis combined. Same story the past three seasons.

Even if we use last year's numbers, TEN lost 15 yards/game if we just compare to Julio. But then we also have to use Josh Reynolds' numbers, which more than makes up for that production (had 38 yards/game last year).

From a production/cost standpoint, they are playing chess. They didn't have to pay Corey Davis/Jonnu Smith a combined $25M in AAV to keep them. I mean...Corey Davis' contract from the NYJ is basically the same as Julio's remaining contract.

But even if we use Julio's $15.3M base this year, that means for ~$17M (including Reynolds), TEN added a pair of pass catchers that had 20+ more yards/game last season. So they saved a big chunk of cap AND added production. 

And that's just the regular season. Nobody talks about Julio's playoff performances. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to see him consistently in the playoffs. But when we have, he has been phenomenal. 

And it dwarfs the production they have gotten from Davis or Smith in the playoffs. The chance to put that type of production on a playoff team is worth the 2nd round pick alone.

They did pay a 2nd and a 4th. But it's really just a 2nd because they are projected to get a 4th round comp for Smith.

Defense

We assume they would go up but honestly they could be worse with key injuries. In any case we won't know until the season starts

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Janoris Jenkins, Caleb Farley, Elijah Molden, Bud Dupree, Denico Autry and Rashad Weaver...all added to their defense. That's several new starters and potentially 5-6 players that make a big impact. If we Colts fans can count on Paye and Dayo to help out (and offset offseason losses), then we should anticipate the same for TEN's rookies to do something similar.

We also talk about internal development and improvements...so you have guys like Simmons, Landry, Evans and Fulton who could continue to progress. Simmons is on that next tier of DT...and if he can make the leap...we saw firsthand the impact that a player like that can have to an overall defense.

They also will have Amani Hooker stepping into a starting role (who I think could be a very good S). I think that could be similar to what Blackmon  did for the Colts when he played a bigger role.

Jayon Brown is also back and should be healthy. 

They also brought in Jim Schwartz as a senior defensive assistant. After leaving the HC job in DET, the guy has been around good-great defenses:

2014 BUF (DC): #3 DVOA

2016-2020 PHI (DC): #4 DVOA, #5 DVOA, #15 DVOA, #12 DVOA, #15 DVOA

Last year, TEN was #29 in DVOA. If Schwartz can help get them to just match the worst defense from that list, that would a huge improvement. It would be also be very bad

They also handed the ball off to Derrick Henry 681 times in the past 2 years. History mostly says this does not bode well going forward .

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

They also handed the ball off to Derrick Henry 681 times in the past 2 years. History mostly says this does not bode well going forward .

You are correct. There is a wall up ahead....in the not too distant future. 

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

For their defense? Sure if their offense falls, it won’t help the defense. But from a talent perspective on defense, I think they are in better shape than they were last year. 

30 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

For their defense? Sure if their offense falls, it won’t help the defense. But from a talent perspective on defense, I think they are in better shape than they were last year. 

Much better I think.   They added about 20 sacks in Dupree and Autry.

personally I don't think Reich/Ballard have the luxury of worrying about J Jones, or what the Titans are doing overall either

for FR and CB, I think it boils down to 1) Fisher's health/rehab and 2) the first 5 games on the schedule--IMO those 2 factors will have far more effect on the Colts' chances than an opponent's new WR (who seldom manages to play a full season any more), or either team's 2021 draft choices that may or may not contribute this season

On 6/9/2021 at 10:37 AM, BProland85 said:

I don't believe they've fully earned the right to be cocky until they actually win something or even get to the big game. And Colts have owned them for the longest time, and only in the last 2 years have they actually shown some fight back in the series with us. 

Well, we are talking about the here and now. 

If we had signed Julio... the chatter would have been ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, we are talking about the here and now. 

If we had signed Julio... the chatter would have been ridiculous.

I think some fans overreact to most things. Had the the Titans signed Richard Sherman you would've had a few on here saying they are a lock to win the division because we didn't get him instead lmao . They do need secondary help as well. Sherman is average at best now days.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, shasta519 said:

Offense

Defense

They also have no RT

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Much better I think.   They added about 20 sacks in Dupree and Autry.

Dupree won't live up to that contract... He's never been the primary man and succeeded....

8 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Dupree won't live up to that contract... He's never been the primary man and succeeded....

He may not live up to the contract, but he instantly makes the D-line better along with Autry.

Some of you are trying so hard to not give them credit lol. Henry/Brown/Jones is absolutely scary. Top RB/pass catcher trio in the league, you could argue Minnesota's trio I guess. They are going to be very good and should be considered a Super Bowl contender as long as the defense improves even just slightly. 

On 6/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, shasta519 said:

Offense

Defense

I can argue they got worse at the quite easily but they upgraded at wr

Archived