Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Titans argument for winning AFC South

BProland85

On 6/10/2021 at 3:04 AM, JoeThornburg said:

Good points all around with your take on the situation as usual man. I just look at this move with Jones and something in my gut just doesn't sit right. It's like they went all in on a 2 year window, particularly with the Dupree and Autry signings. Then they go and do this? I get it because Atlanta ate the dead cap on his contract but a 2nd rounder for a 32-33 year old player not on the interior line is not something I would have done lightly. Then again I'm a Pittsburgher and I have watched the Steelers play catch and release with young guys on the outside for years now, so to me this is like, the opposite of that philosophy.  I will say that it's a smart signing from the perspective of having a veteran presence in the WR room, a Hall of Fame presence for that matter.

IMO, they know they probably have a few more years of Henry playing at a high level, and want to go all in by making the O more well rounded. Jones, if healthy, does that. And he and Brown should be one of the better 1-2 WR punches in the league.

Purely my opinion, but the FO probably finally came to the realization that they can't simply run the wheels off of Henry and expect to win. They've basically wasted their time with him thus far. Always competitive, but never next level. If Tannehill can continue his fantastic efficiency, but take on a bigger role (more attempts), TN's O will be pretty dynamic.

Also, I feel as if the analytics concerning Tennessee's run blocking are a bit skewed because they have the best back of this generation. I could never understand why the guy didn't start earlier. Talk about a horse. Plus, I mean run blocking isn't where a lot of guys up front have issues, it's normally in the pass game.

Not really. I've included a link below on how PFF grades offensive linemen. It's not really about RB performance at all. 

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff-grades-run-blocking

It's definitely a 2 horse race in the AFC South but TEN also has to go through the same gauntlet that IND does in terms of schedule, and they have KC, at home, but still. 

Titans schedule, at least to me, is harder than Indy's. IIRC their SOS is somewhere on average of about 10 spots higher than Indy's. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the deciding factor on the division championship will be how the back end for both teams handles the passing game. The Titans advantage will be some excellent receivers and a good O-line. The Colts advantage will be some good receivers and an excellent O-line. The D-line should favor the Colts getting to Tannehill more frequently than the Titans getting to Wentz. If that pans out, the ultimate deciding factor will rest with the QBs. Normal Tannehill beats bad Wentz. Good Wentz beats normal Tannehill. We won't really know much until Wentz plays a few games, and we can judge his progress or lack thereof. If the Colts go 3-2 or better in the first five, they'll win. If they go 2-3 or worse in the first five, it'll be the Titans. Its almost all guesswork now.

18 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I believe the deciding factor on the division championship will be how the back end for both teams handles the passing game. The Titans advantage will be some excellent receivers and a good O-line. The Colts advantage will be some good receivers and an excellent O-line. The D-line should favor the Colts getting to Tannehill more frequently than the Titans getting to Wentz. If that pans out, the ultimate deciding factor will rest with the QBs. Normal Tannehill beats bad Wentz. Good Wentz beats normal Tannehill. We won't really know much until Wentz plays a few games, and we can judge his progress or lack thereof. If the Colts go 3-2 or better in the first five, they'll win. If they go 2-3 or worse in the first five, it'll be the Titans. Its almost all guesswork now.

With the roster we have = Coaching, overall Defense, O.Line, RB's, and WR's, if you insert Peyton Manning from 2003-2009 or Andrew Luck from 2012-2014 we win the division it is safe to say. My point is, it all comes down to you know who? Yes the QB, Carson. The other pieces are in place IMO. I thought Rivers did a good job last year, we didn't win the division but we made the playoffs and had the same record as the Titans did.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:04 AM, BProland85 said:

I understand where you're coming from, but it's the cocky approach that annoys me about their delusional fanbase. Until you actually win a championship, or defeat the Colts on a consistent basis, you have no right to feel like the big bad dog on the block, or in this case the AFC South. 

Here’s a question to consider: are certain fan bases “cockier” than others? I’ve been to many away games and it only takes one “jerk” to color our perception of a particular fan base. (The guy on the video was pretty obnoxious, but I’m sure there’s some decent Titans fans out there).
  And to be fair, I was at a Colts game and saw a fan who was pretty ignorant to a visiting fan. 
  I guess there’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance. 
 Truth is; there’s talent on every team in the NFL. As Johnny Unitas once said; “talk is cheap”. Which team will make the fewest mistakes? We won’t know until the games are played but you could make a case for either team, not only winning the AFC South but making a SB run. We shall see…

When that dude said Ryan Tannehill is a Top 10 QB in the NFL that right there says he don’t know much about Football.  Titans get Julio and they’re SB contenders now?  When has any SB winning team was 1 WR away from taking it the year prior?  Please play the Season first and Simmons best DT?  What in the hell?  Rams DT Colts DT both have the biggest contract ever for any DT so Simmons better start playing at an elite level before labeling him that!

I am really not sure why the Titans, their media, or their fans are talking so much junk?? They did win the Division but both teams went 11-5 and had the same result in the playoffs. We also split with them last year, looks like 2 even teams to me. When we were winning division titles this rivalry was lopsided (in reality this isn't even a rivalry because we have owned them for years), not just with Peyton but with Luck as well. Brissett even beat them once in 2019 lmao 

I think both the Titans and Colts had strong drafts.  Adding Jones to that offense was a big deal too.  It's not like you need a real #1 WR to win anything significant, just looking at things historically, but it doesn't hurt and helps to give teams pause in how they'll stop that run game.

I also think the Colts have the best RB in the division though.  Many will call me nuts for saying that but it's my opinion.  The division looks very close to me.  So really Wentz is going to be the deciding factor.  If he stays healthy and plays the way he did in the Eagles' Super Bowl season the Colts probably win the division.  Less than that and things get dicey.

I'm excited about this season due to all that though.  For me it's a good thing to see a division that will help sharpen you up for the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the Titans are the better team at this time.  We will see how the season goes.  

Hard to tell, normally I have an idea where the Colts stand but because we have no idea how Wentz will play it is impossible to say, JMO. If Wentz plays good to very good than the Titans are not better - we either have the edge or it is even. If Wentz is average or worse than yes, the Titans are better. I always make before season Colts predictions and feel pretty good about them, this season has me at a mystery right now. 

I know @NewColtsFancan vouch for me regarding my before season picks since 2018 anyway as I had the Colts in:

2018 = 10-6 and winning a playoff game and I nailed it. With Luck coming back I felt good about it and knew we were much better than most were predicting coming off a 4-12 season.

2019 = I had us 8-8 after Luck retired, we were 7-9, I was close. I didn't think we would stink because we still had a great O.Line and good run game but without Luck I figured we would be a .500 team. JB is no Luck.

2020 = I had us 10-6/making the playoffs because I knew Rivers would be good and our O.Line, run game, and Defense was solid going in. We actually went 11-5!

2021 = I have no idea at the moment and it will be more of a guess than it ever has been. Having said that I am leaning toward Wentz being on the good level and if so we can win 11 games in a 17 game season at 11-6. Will 11-6 be better than the Titans? Who knows, maybe/maybe not? We have a better O.Line, Defense, and overall run game = 3 good RB's compared to the Titans IMO but Tannehill has been good for the last 2 seasons and Henry is still the best RB in football. They also have better WR's. Coaching is pretty even.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the Titans are the better team at this time.  We will see how the season goes.  

Purely my opinion, but I see them as about equal right now. Both could make jumps depending on their new adds (Wentz / Julio Jones).

On 6/27/2021 at 9:37 AM, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but I see them as about equal right now. Both could make jumps depending on their new adds (Wentz / Julio Jones).

I pretty much agree.    I just think the Titans will be much better on the defensive side of the ball than they were last year.    The Colts O-line may not be at full strength till week 6 or 7.  

It wouldn't surprise me if either team won the division but at this point I would put my money on the Titans.

23 minutes ago, Myles said:

I pretty much agree.    I just think the Titans will be much better on the defensive side of the ball than they were last year.    The Colts O-line may not be at full strength till week 6 or 7.  

It wouldn't surprise me if either team won the division but at this point I would put my money on the Titans.

The big issue is that we play the Titans early in the schedule in both games this year. If Fisher is out for both games, then we could be vulnerable at the LT spot. The Titans just got Bud Dupree, and they also have Autry and Simmons. Evans, Brown, and Landry are serviceable as well, so I hope we are in sync by then on the O-Line. This is a really frustrating schedule in that regard with the Titans as not only is it tough early without Fisher, but we face the Titans twice in the first half of the schedule. We'll need some luck. Either in Fisher recovering quick, or Tevi being a pleasant surprise so we can hold our own on the O-Line until Fisher recovers.

Having Tannehill as the established QB in Tennessee is an advantage, especially early in the season.  Adding Jones is a bonus for an offense that has been pretty good.  Tennessee was a good team last year and I don't think they have done anything on paper that would make them worse.

We need to see how Wentz is going to play and how quickly he and the receivers develop chemistry.  We need to see what will happen at LT.  We need to see if our pass rush will be there at all.  I think this team has an opportunity to very good, but if I was a Tennessee fan right now I would feel like Tennessee has a pretty good shot at winning the division and being a contender in the playoffs.  I would be excited for the season.

We can all be a bit of homers at times.  The Colts need all of the unknowns to work out in our favor to compete at the highest level.  Tennessee is in a more stable position right now.  Why wouldn't they think they have a shot?

49 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Having Tannehill as the established QB in Tennessee is an advantage, especially early in the season.  Adding Jones is a bonus for an offense that has been pretty good.  Tennessee was a good team last year and I don't think they have done anything on paper that would make them worse.

We need to see how Wentz is going to play and how quickly he and the receivers develop chemistry.  We need to see what will happen at LT.  We need to see if our pass rush will be there at all.  I think this team has an opportunity to very good, but if I was a Tennessee fan right now I would feel like Tennessee has a pretty good shot at winning the division and being a contender in the playoffs.  I would be excited for the season.

We can all be a bit of homers at times.  The Colts need all of the unknowns to work out in our favor to compete at the highest level.  Tennessee is in a more stable position right now.  Why wouldn't they think they have a shot?

I feel the same.   The Titans have improved their D-line quite a bit and added a playmaker on offense.  

Tannehill has 2 consecutive very good seasons, so he isn't as much of an unknown at this point.   The Colts haven't won the division for many years.  It looks like the Titans have knocked the Texans off the AFC South perch.  Time for the Colts to knock the Titans off that perch.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, IanColts22 said:

When that dude said Ryan Tannehill is a Top 10 QB in the NFL that right there says he don’t know much about Football.  Titans get Julio and they’re SB contenders now?  When has any SB winning team was 1 WR away from taking it the year prior?  Please play the Season first and Simmons best DT?  What in the hell?  Rams DT Colts DT both have the biggest contract ever for any DT so Simmons better start playing at an elite level before labeling him that!

Tannehill is a top 10 QB. He’s been top 5 in passing efficiency for the past 2 years.  He led the league in yards per a pass 2 seasons ago, and passer rating. He’s also in the top 5 in deep pass accuracy 

10 hours ago, Myles said:

It's going to be interesting that's for sure. There are lots of wildcards on each team. Then add in the fact both teams will also now have to play a likely much improved Jax team.

I agree TN should take a step forward on D. If Tannehill and Julio/Brown can make their O more well rounded, they could be very good. I'm concerned with our D, especially S and MIKE. If Campbell is healthy though, I really like our O (assuming Fisher comes back by week 5).

• 2 weeks later...

2020, We OWNED the Titans in the first matchup and the second might as well throw it out the window as COVID kept our best two DL out in DB & DA.  In that COVID game, Henry ran wild as expected but I truly believe that if both our DL were healthy, it would have been a different outcome.  The Titans are a good team but against top talent they just don't have the edge and that is due to the lack of Star Power at the QB position.  Tannenhill is decent but not a gamechanger like Mahomes for example.  They added Julio freaking Jones but lost elsewhere and at the end of the day they don't have that elite QB that would put them over the top.  Colts WIN the Division in 2020 if it weren't for 2 pivotal COVID games with TN & Pitt where we were literally struck at the worst position vs the Opposition strengths.  Tennessee, we needed a stout DL and we were missing DB & DA, our best 2 players.  Pitt, we needed a stout OL vs a Blitsburgh defense and guess what we were missing our book end Tackles!!  SERIOUSLY, missing two of your best players vs their STRENGTHS?  That's 2 games right there that were lost due to COVID and those 2 games would have won the division and made it a home playoff game in the WC round.   

Fast forward to 2021, where with the draft, another yr of experience for the rookies and potentially a top 3 running game with JT, I see BIG expectations from this team!  It all DEPENDS on if Carson Wentz can play the QB position in this offense as we have the running game and defense to be the top team in the NFL.  It all boils down to Carson, Pass rush and the health of our WR corps!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

A couple of thoughts….

Who puts out 2021 seasonal predictions now?   It’s July.   Nobody knows anything.    It’s nothing more than click bait.   Things will be more apparent in 6-7 weeks.   Do it then. 

Also…. 9-8 is certainly possible, but I don’t think it’s likely.   And I certainly don’t see Miami at 11-6.   I certainly would prefer to have Carson Wentz as our QB right now — baggage and all — than I would having Tua.  I think he’s a much bigger question mark.   Who knows if I’ll feel that way 6-7 weeks from now,  but that’s the way it looks to me today. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A couple of thoughts….

Who puts out 2021 seasonal predictions now?   It’s July.   Nobody knows anything.   Things will a more apparent in 6-7 weeks.   Do it then. 

Also…. 9-8 is certainly possible, but I don’t think it’s likely.   And I certainly don’t see Miami at 11-6.   I certainly would prefer to have Carson Wentz as our QB right now — baggage and all — than I would having Tua.  I think he’s a much bigger question mark.   Who knows if I’ll feel that way 6-7 weeks from now,  but that’s the way it looks to me today. 

Yeah my guess is 11-6 but I always make official prediction at the end of pre-season. It is too early.

Archived