Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Shaky" Carson Wentz - LOL

Scott Pennock

I think the National Media is scared, scared to admit that Philly just ran a Franchise QB out of town all while firing the head coach that "supposedly" didn't even speak with his QB for the majority of the season! Seems like the disconnect starts at the top to me.....but this article is straight hot garbage!  Funny thing is Donovan McNabb was a fairly successful QB in Philly and they booed him starting on draft day thru the end of his career! LOL

"Though head coach Frank Reich is confident he and staff can get Wentz back to form, USA TODAY’s Mike Jones is less bullish on the situation for the Colts. In ranking every team’s quarterbacks by tiers, Wentz found himself in the bottom tier listed as “shaky” along with some other questionable quarterbacks.

Indianapolis Colts Carson Wentz’s 2020 season got off to a bad start behind an injury-plagued line, and he never recovered. Overwhelmed both by defenses and the pressure of Jalen Hurts’ presence, Wentz looked like a shell of himself. Can former Philadelphia offensive coordinator Frank Reich fix Wentz by inserting him into a stronger squad with a more reliable line than the Eagles had to offer?

Among the other teams also listed in the “shaky” tier included the New Orleans Saints (Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston), New York Giants (Daniel Jones), Denver Broncos (Drew Lock, Teddy Bridgewater), Washington Football Team (Ryan Fitzptrick) and a potentially Deshaun Watson-less Houston Texans (Davis Mills, Tyrod Taylor)."

Career Stats including 9 comebacks and 10 game winning drives and there are only 13 starting QB's in the NFL with higher QBR's. These stats are not even comparable to the pedestrian types of numbers these other QB's have put up. I mean seriously.....USA Today got their clickbait that they wanted but this is pure filth. Sorry not sorry.

Pct          Yds          TD          Int          Sck          QBR

63.2       16,811      113        50          179          89.2

2020-21 Season

57.4        2,620        16         15            50           72.8

2019-20 Season

63.9        4,039        27           7            37           93.1

2018-19 Season

69.6        3,074        21           7            31           102.2

2017-18 Season

60.2        3,296        33           7            28            101.9

2016-17 Season

62.4        3,782        16          14            33            79.3

Every QB, no matter how good they are have had at least one year (not counting their rookie year) that was considered a "down" year and some have had several of those years - go look them up on profootballreference.com if you like, but all of the greats had down years in their career! It is hard to be consistently great year in and year out. Last year was a blip and the Eagles WILL regret giving up on Carson Wentz before he's even realized his full potential!

Carson Wentz WILL BE a stud here in Indy and will pass for +/- 4k a year and +/- 30 TD's a year for the foreseeable future and Chris Ballard will look like a genius for the 3rd and 1st or 2nd round picks given up while the Eagles will fade back into last in the NFC East for the foreseeable future. We have tightends that can attack all three layers of the defense now, we have wide receivers that can attack all three layers of the defense, a three headed monster of a running game, one of the best o-lines in the game and three running backs that can absolutely catch and run out of the backfield as well.  Plus the added benefit of backyard ball when a play breaks down - reminiscent of the days when Andrew Luck would create with his legs and connect on a deep pass to TY or Moncreif when the defense broke down.....

Come on folks, jump onto the positivity train now before all the seats are taken! 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

"Though head coach Frank Reich is confident he and staff can get Wentz back to form, USA TODAY’s Mike Jones is less bullish on the situation for the Colts. In ranking every team’s quarterbacks by tiers, Wentz found himself in the bottom tier listed as “shaky” along with some other questionable quarterbacks.

Here's the article click bait Scott isn't particularly fond of:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2021/05/10/quarterback-tiers-after-nfl-draft/4926754001/

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

and the pressure of Jalen Hurts’ presence,

What an offensive yet revealing comment by the author.  Presence.  Not the pressure of Hurts' performance, but his mere presence. 

Presence. Simply being there.  Simply who he is, I guess.  

Pressured by who Hurts is.....and who Wentz is therefore not.

Implying that who Hurts is, was a big part of the decision to replace Wentz, who had QB that had a 93 QBR the year before.  

How revealing. 

I don't know what QB is supposed to not feel pressure because of that.  Wentz can't change who he is. 

Welcome home Carson, to a fan base and front office that accepts you.

Wentz has been on a steady decline in DVOA since 2017...

From 6 to 13 to 20 to 36

Him going from 36 to the top 10 is extremely unlikely and would be something that's never been done in the history of the NFL for any QB

Sure he's had iffy rosters and supporting casts but there's still a lot of issues with him specifically

All he should be trying to do is be as good as Rivers was last year because he's not gonna break history

This team's success relies on what version of Wentz we're getting, the bottom 2 starter version or the top 16 QB version. 

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What an offensive yet revealing comment by the author.  Presence.  Not the pressure of Hurts' performance, but his mere presence. 

Implying that who Hurts is, was a big part of the decision to replace Wentz, who had QB that had a 93 QBR the year before.  If it wasn't a replacement due to performance, what was the basis? I guess it was because of who he is.  

How revealing. 

I don't know what QB is supposed to not feel pressure because of that.  Wentz can't change who he is. 

From what I have read Hurts has a very engaging personality that players seemed to gravitate too. But it was said it was mainly the younger players while the older ones were in Wentz corner.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

From what I have read Hurts has a very engaging personality that players seemed to gravitate too. But it was said it was mainly the younger players while the older ones were in Wentz corner.

Yeah, younger folks can have their own standards these days of why they gravitate to some and not so much towards others.  Older players were probably taught more professionalism, or obtained it, and the younger players might use more personal criteria for affiliation.  Hopefully the Colts front office provides proper lecturing on professionalism.

Leadership is tough to judge.  I heard that the older players just wanted Wentz to play well at QB.  They didn't look for leadership.  

Sounded like Luck didn't really relish that role either.  PM probably was born to do it.

30 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

I bet he is glad to be out of Philly they booed and threw snow balls at Santa for cripes sake:lol:

To be far, they lost out on OJ Simpson so it's understandable

48 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This. He just needs to run the offense and make a few big plays when needed. 

Respectfully, he has to do much more. For the Colts to compete for the  conference, Wentz needs to replicate his 2017 season and be available for all 16 games. Right now, this appears to be a tougher slate of games than in 2020, swapping out nfc north for nfc west, and not much drop-off switching afc north for afc east. The Colts will probably need to win 12-13 games to secure the division and attain a high seed.

Additionally, Wentz has the biggest cap hit on the team which gave up (so far) 3rd and 2nd round picks to acquire him.He would need to perform up to that investment.

11 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Respectfully, he has to do much more. For the Colts to compete for the  conference, Wentz needs to replicate his 2017 season and be available for all 16 games. Right now, this appears to be a tougher slate of games than in 2020, swapping out nfc north for nfc west, and not much drop-off switching afc north for afc east. The Colts will probably need to win 12-13 games to secure the division and attain a high seed.

Additionally, Wentz has the biggest cap hit on the team which gave up (so far) 3rd and 2nd round picks to acquire him.He would need to perform up to that investment.

Honestly, I just want him to play better then Rivers and add that Andrew factor back to our offense where we can make plays outside the pocket. Biggest difference from Philly is he doesn't need to be superman. He has weapons, a run game, an oline, and a potential top 10 defense to leon on.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Implying that who Hurts is, was a big part of the decision to replace Wentz, who had QB that had a 93 QBR the year before.  

How revealing. 

I left that part out, but yes that is 100% accurate. I don't wish him ill will but they will regret their decision to push Wentz out and give Hurts they keys......

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m betting Wentz gets us to a Super Bowl. This could go down as one of the most lopsided trades in history

I hope you are right but if I were betting it would be against you. I just can't see that great of a turnaround. As someone said earlier it has never happened before. 

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think the National Media is scared, scared to admit that Philly just ran a Franchise QB out of town all while firing the head coach that "supposedly" didn't even speak with his QB for the majority of the season! Seems like the disconnect starts at the top to me.....but this article is straight hot garbage!  Funny thing is Donovan McNabb was a fairly successful QB in Philly and they booed him starting on draft day thru the end of his career! LOL

Indianapolis Colts Carson Wentz’s 2020 season got off to a bad start behind an injury-plagued line, and he never recovered. Overwhelmed both by defenses and the pressure of Jalen Hurts’ presence, Wentz looked like a shell of himself. Can former Philadelphia offensive coordinator Frank Reich fix Wentz by inserting him into a stronger squad with a more reliable line than the Eagles had to offer?

Among the other teams also listed in the “shaky” tier included the New Orleans Saints (Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston), New York Giants (Daniel Jones), Denver Broncos (Drew Lock, Teddy Bridgewater), Washington Football Team (Ryan Fitzptrick) and a potentially Deshaun Watson-less Houston Texans (Davis Mills, Tyrod Taylor)."

Career Stats including 9 comebacks and 10 game winning drives and there are only 13 starting QB's in the NFL with higher QBR's. These stats are not even comparable to the pedestrian types of numbers these other QB's have put up. I mean seriously.....USA Today got their clickbait that they wanted but this is pure filth. Sorry not sorry.

2020-21 Season

2019-20 Season

2018-19 Season

2017-18 Season

2016-17 Season

Every QB, no matter how good they are have had at least one year (not counting their rookie year) that was considered a "down" year and some have had several of those years - go look them up on profootballreference.com if you like, but all of the greats had down years in their career! It is hard to be consistently great year in and year out. Last year was a blip and the Eagles WILL regret giving up on Carson Wentz before he's even realized his full potential!

Carson Wentz WILL BE a stud here in Indy and will pass for +/- 4k a year and +/- 30 TD's a year for the foreseeable future and Chris Ballard will look like a genius for the 3rd and 1st or 2nd round picks given up while the Eagles will fade back into last in the NFC East for the foreseeable future. We have tightends that can attack all three layers of the defense now, we have wide receivers that can attack all three layers of the defense, a three headed monster of a running game, one of the best o-lines in the game and three running backs that can absolutely catch and run out of the backfield as well.  Plus the added benefit of backyard ball when a play breaks down - reminiscent of the days when Andrew Luck would create with his legs and connect on a deep pass to TY or Moncreif when the defense broke down.....

Come on folks, jump onto the positivity train now before all the seats are taken! 

Who cares what anybody says or writes?  All that matters is what actually happens on the field 17 (and hopefully more) times this fall and winter.

Opinions have always been like * - in that everybody has one.  But one thing that’s different nowadays is that most people can publish them, and many do.  And, for some reason, a lot of people get worked up about opinions they don’t like.

Hopefully Carson will shut all his critics up.  But it’s up to him, his coaches, and his teammates to do that.

Hey, I was so positive that Frank Reich, who gave career years for Luck and Rivers on several fronts, could even work with Sam Darnold and Trubisky if the Colts were to sign one of them. So you can definitely extrapolate what I think of what he could do with Wentz that I feel has more potential. :) 

5 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I've read several things on the topic, a lot which was mostly rumor and hypothesis. 

My uneducated gut feel is....

• MW kid goes to East Coast, to a team with fans who have a certain rep. Maybe a little culture shock
  • Had early success, but maybe felt a little disrespected or uneasy in the whole Foles situation.
  • The roster was up and down post 2017 for various reasons
  • He got really frustrated given the injury and personnel issues last year
  • Fans and team mates got frustrated
  • Perfect storm/blend of everyone unhappy

Overall, I think Indy is a much better personality and cultural fit for Wentz. He's already bought land for hunting and seems pretty happy to acclimate. That could be huge in itself (acclimate, not just hunting land). And I think Indy fans will identify with a guy like him more than Philly did. IMO, he's more "Indy" than Luck. If he performs near Luck's level, fans will be happy, he'll be happy, and he'll be a Colt for a long time.

5 hours ago, tvturner said:

Wentz has been on a steady decline in DVOA since 2017...

From 6 to 13 to 20 to 36

Him going from 36 to the top 10 is extremely unlikely and would be something that's never been done in the history of the NFL for any QB

Sure he's had iffy rosters and supporting casts but there's still a lot of issues with him specifically

All he should be trying to do is be as good as Rivers was last year because he's not gonna break history

This team's success relies on what version of Wentz we're getting, the bottom 2 starter version or the top 16 QB version. 

I think the combo of the improved roster, and what I predict will be Reich's conservative play calling early, will likely give him a huge and quick boost in DVOA. I would not be shocked at all to see him jump immediately to top 16. If all of our starting WRs stay healthy, I can see top 10. IMO his biggest thing is just staying healthy and gelling with is pass catchers.

I'm a fan of DVOA, but it can be overly negative to QBs on teams that run the ball a ton, or are conservative with a lot of short passing.

4 hours ago, ColtV said:

Top 16 to make the playoffs, top 7ish to go far. The $s don't bother me. The $ plus picks make it a bet that needs to pay off.

3 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I hope you are right but if I were betting it would be against you. I just can't see that great of a turnaround. As someone said earlier it has never happened before. 

Yeah, in gambling you always take the field.  However, this can be the perfect storm of coaching and roster to get us there. I see us breaking thru and getting to the final game at least once. 

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

2020-21 Season

2019-20 Season

2018-19 Season

2017-18 Season

2016-17 Season

I didn't read the article but did hear Cowherd talk about it. He didn't like it either, mostly because instead of listing them in order of talent, they had adjectival tiers which he felt was stupid. 

Wentz was listed in the "shaky ground" tier. Coming off a season where he was probably one of the lowest rated if not the lowest rated QB I didn't have a problem with that. 

I mean what other tier should he have been put in??    Elite? ..... no.    Ascending?...... certainly not lol.

I believe even Watson was in shaky ground tier, the 3rd Best QB in the league!

It was just a stupid article in a slow time of year and the different tiers were stupid as well.

Wentz will have his chance to show that 2020 was not who he really is but I doubt that our TE we drafted in 4th round will elevate the TE group into such a force.:D

48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Studying College Life GIF- Let me see here, will Wentz be bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, or great. I am concentrating, searching for the answer. 

You are right on to search for an answer.

There might be something in the library on Reich and his “Rehab of an Aging Quarterback” Vol. 2

or, the kids section “ Wentz Upon A Time”. It’s about a quarterback that got rescued 

before passing Andrew’s record number of times being sacked or picking himself up after being hit by the other team.

I have no idea what to expect with Wentz leading the Colts.

I can’t wait until the season starts. So, here is the advice I gave last year’s QB...just score more than the other team, don’t make a fool of yourself complaining to the referees, 

and most importantly, win the Super Bowl.

I do believe our Defense is going to be exciting to watch

and that is something to look forward to.

Go, Colts!

2 minutes ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

You are right on to search for an answer.

There might be something in the library on Reich and his “Rehab of an Aging Quarterback” Vol. 2

or, the kids section “ Wentz Upon A Time”. It’s about a quarterback that got rescued 

before passing Andrew’s record number of times being sacked or picking himself up after being hit by the other team.

I have no idea what to expect with Wentz leading the Colts.

I can’t wait until the season starts. So, here is the advice I gave last year’s QB...just score more than the other team, don’t make a fool of yourself complaining to the referees, 

and most importantly, win the Super Bowl.

I do believe our Defense is going to be exciting to watch

and that is something to look forward to.

Go, Colts!

I can't predict how Wentz will be because as of now I have no clue. I am hoping for at least above average play at worse. Good I will take all day with the way our run game should be. I thought Rivers was on the good level last season. Luck was very good and sometimes great. I hate to bring Luck up again but imagine if he was our QB right now? I think it would be a two team race between us and KC to decide who wins the AFC IMO. I am hoping Wentz delivers bigtime. 

The bottom line is...   that from the outside looking in we have lots and lots of question marks.   Many of them in key places.  

QB, LT,  DE are the biggest and most visible. 

And until the questions about how good (or not) those players perform are answered we will remain a big question mark.   Right now, any objections to any media critics feels more like....  “Hey, they can’t talk about our players like that!  Only WE can talk about our players like that!”   

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't predict how Wentz will be because as of now I have no clue. I am hoping for at least above average play at worse. Good I will take all day with the way our run game should be. I thought Rivers was on the good level last season. Luck was very good and sometimes great. I hate to bring Luck up again but imagine if he was our QB right now? I think it would be a two team race between us and KC to decide who wins the AFC IMO. I am hoping Wentz delivers bigtime. 

I'm getting more and more optimistic. In terms of career stats

Comp%   TD%  INT%    PR    ANY/A  Sack%

Luck     60.8       5.2     2.5      89.5    6.42      5.0

Wentz  62.7       4.5     2.0      89.2    5.87      6.7

Similar in a lot of ways. I think Luck had better pass catchers most years. And even with Wentz's horrible 2020, their numbers aren't far off.

No one knows. The writer isn't necessarily wrong, the last time anyone saw Wentz, he was shaky mentally and a mess football-wise. Hurts wasn't any great shakes yet he was better than Wentz. We know the potential Carson has but if the national media isn't lapping it up, that's not a bad thing. Let them keep dogging Indy while we build quietly and solidly.

We all hope Frank Reich can unleash a beast who performs at levels even better than 2017 but fact is, it's May 12th and right now we don't know. Even Chris Ballard said same, just as he did about Eason, we won't know what we have until the bullets start flying.

Rivers had a nice season, but if he returned, i’d been happy but a voice in my head would be saying “he’s painfully immobile, and that will be our eventual downfall.”  Without Rivers, it’s likely a veteran QB or trading up for Rookie.  The Rookie option required a ton of draft picks (meaning not drafting Edge pass rushers) for a “shot in the dark” Rookie QB.  With Wentz, we know he has shown high level of play and we hope he can get his mojo back.  It seems to be a good gamble; if he falters, we’ll be out a 1st (or 2nd) Round pick and we go from there.  If he succeeds, we’re out a 1st and we dance gleefully.  The wildcard is injury - we have no apparent backup to hold the team steady even for a series or two.  

Archived