Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Shaky" Carson Wentz - LOL

Scott Pennock

21 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Steve Young? 

2–14 records in two seasons with the Bucs and 3–16 with him as a starter. Young threw for 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions and completing fewer than 55%. Then traded to the 49ers for a 2nd and a 4th and we all know how he did with the 49ers.

Steve Young was a developing QB at that time. He had not been good, fell to being the worst in the NFL and then rose from the dead. There is no comparison at all.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Steve Young was a developing QB at that time. He had not been good, fell to being the worst in the NFL and then rose from the dead. There is no comparison at all.

I mean Carson Wentz is 28, while Young was 26 when he joined the 49ers and don't forget Young played two seasons in the USFL before he joined the NFL. Of course Young didn't play a full season in the NFL until he was 31.

It's not a perfect comparison for sure but I don't think it is a terrible one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, Thebrashandthebold said:

Young wasn't a developing qb.   He would have been the number 1 overall pick in the NFL has the USFL not offered him a monster contract.    The comparison is actually a good.  The only exception is Wentz showed promise much earlier

It sure seems like some folks here are ignoring one of the biggest factors in all of this and that is his head coach.  I do believe Reich will do everything he can to put Wentz in good situations.

1. He will have many options for receivers and they will spread the ball around like last year
  2. Hopefully he won't be running for his life as much since we have a much better O-line
  3. He should benefit from a respectable running game
  4. He will have a collaborative relationship with head coach and coordinator rather than an adversarial one

If I compare Wentz to Rivers I do expect Wentz to have a similar year.  I know quite a few people don't think so.  From what I saw of Rivers last year I was satisfied but not impressed with his performance.  I can't tell you how many times I watched passes float out towards receivers and wondered if they would get to the receiver before a commercial break.  And watching him stumble around in the pocket when there was a little pressure just made me nervous.

I am not saying Wentz is going to be better than Manning or Luck.  I think had Luck not retired he would have been extremely productive with this offense last season.  But I wouldn't expect any of the rookies we could have gotten to be as good as Wentz could be this year.  

I also wasn't a big fan of trading for Wentz either.  As I look at it now I think it was a pretty smart move.  Let's see what happens if he gains some confidence and doesn't feel like he needs to carry the team.  We know he has a good arm and can put the ball where it needs to be.  So there are two aspects that I feel will tell the story.  One of my favorite QBs ever was Joe Montana.  It was watching him that made me realize these two things:

1. Decision making is the key - make smart decisions and maintain situational awareness
  2. The guy needs to be able to handle pressure - I don't mean from rushers, I mean mental

I am looking forward to seeing what happens.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich gets the most out of his QB. One that everyone forgets is Nick Foles. Taking a backup and having them win a SB was a huge accomplishment.

Even with JB, a play here or there we could've been 9-7 in reality. I think Wentz will be above average to good more than likely, question is can he be great? 

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich gets the most out of his QB. One that everyone forgets is Nick Foles. Taking a backup and having them win a SB was a huge accomplishment.

Foles is really good at running a particular system but hes not versatile.  The eagles were probably the best fit possible for him

40 minutes ago, gspdx said:

It sure seems like some folks here are ignoring one of the biggest factors in all of this and that is his head coach.  I do believe Reich will do everything he can to put Wentz in good situations.

1. He will have many options for receivers and they will spread the ball around like last year
  2. Hopefully he won't be running for his life as much since we have a much better O-line
  3. He should benefit from a respectable running game
  4. He will have a collaborative relationship with head coach and coordinator rather than an adversarial one

If I compare Wentz to Rivers I do expect Wentz to have a similar year.  I know quite a few people don't think so.  From what I saw of Rivers last year I was satisfied but not impressed with his performance.  I can't tell you how many times I watched passes float out towards receivers and wondered if they would get to the receiver before a commercial break.  And watching him stumble around in the pocket when there was a little pressure just made me nervous.

I am not saying Wentz is going to be better than Manning or Luck.  I think had Luck not retired he would have been extremely productive with this offense last season.  But I wouldn't expect any of the rookies we could have gotten to be as good as Wentz could be this year.  

I also wasn't a big fan of trading for Wentz either.  As I look at it now I think it was a pretty smart move.  Let's see what happens if he gains some confidence and doesn't feel like he needs to carry the team.  We know he has a good arm and can put the ball where it needs to be.  So there are two aspects that I feel will tell the story.  One of my favorite QBs ever was Joe Montana.  It was watching him that made me realize these two things:

1. Decision making is the key - make smart decisions and maintain situational awareness
  2. The guy needs to be able to handle pressure - I don't mean from rushers, I mean mental

I am looking forward to seeing what happens.

I agree with everything except the bolded.   I was very impressed with him.   Coming to a new team with very little training camp and no pre-season.  Going 11-5.   68% completions.  4200 yards.  24 TD's, 11 INT's. 

Just now, Myles said:

I agree with everything except the bolded.   I was very impressed with him.   Coming to a new team with very little training camp and no pre-season.  Going 11-5.   68% completions.  4200 yards.  24 TD's, 11 INT's. 

Yes - I get your point.  He got the most out of this offense with the limitations he faced.  And that includes his physical limitations. 

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even with JB, a play here or there we could've been 9-7 in reality. I think Wentz will be above average to good more than likely, question is can he be great? 

Does he have to be great? He just needs to make big plays when needed with this run game. Play within the system and make a few plays a game. When I looked at his stats from 2017 surprised he only had 3296 yards. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Does he have to be great? He just needs to make big plays when needed with this run game. Play within the system and make a few plays a game. When I looked at his stats from 2017 surprised he only had 3296 yards. 

I'm hoping we get the 2019 Carson Wentz

This team has some real potential. I agree almost totally with the original post. The really big opportunity arises from the fact that if this defense gets to be as good as it can be there are going to be a lot of opposing O-lines licking their wounds after the games. The versatility of this D-line (particularly when Dayo O gets back) may give Flus all he needs to create a dominant defense. Without the pressure of having to score every time, Wentz will get an improved comfort level allowing him to grow into this offense. I'm excited to see them.

Archived