Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Sam Ehlinger ((MERGE))

ColtV

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • NFLfan changed the title to Colts select QB Sam Ehlinger ((MERGE))
27 minutes ago, ColtV said:

46 starts, 1476 att, 923 completions, 94 td, 27 int

Not sure if rating means QBR, but here they are:

2020:  Rating of 150.

2019:  152

2018:  147

2017:  124

What were Justin Fields?

Looks like he could run a Reich offense pretty well.  Wouldn't call him just a camp body or a PS player.  I don't think that is just the intent.

I think he's available low because he just gets discounted.  He runs almost as well as Tebow, so it gets assumed that he can't throw.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

We are kind of loaded at corner. Any LT coming that late is not going to be better then what we have.

I disagree with corner, I still think we need someone to really push Rock (because he kinda sucks). In all fairness though, I did not realize we were in the seventh round. Unlikely to find a starting LT there, I agree

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What were Justin Fields?

Looks like he could run a Reich offense pretty well.  Wouldn't call him just a camp body or a PS player.  I don't think that is just the intent.

I think he just gets discounted because he runs almost as well as Tebow, but he throws a lot better.  Not expected to do that.

his arm is..funky. when he sets up, completes with proper arm motion, he has good velocity...but he doesn't always do it. 

to me the big plus is 4 year starter. that amount of experience makes him an instant challenger for qb2

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Somebody please post his stats

Essentially a four-year starter in Austin, Ehlinger enters the draft as the most productive quarterback in his class, ranking No. 20 all-time in total yards. Furthermore, throughout his four years on the Forty Acres, Ehlinger cemented his status as one of the most productive quarterbacks — arguably the second-most — to ever play for the Texas Longhorns, stamping his name behind only Colt McCoy on nearly every meaningful quarterbacking record in school history.

13,358 total career yards — 2nd

11,436 career passing yards — 2nd

127 total career touchdowns — 2nd

94 career passing touchdowns — 2nd

4,326 total yards in single season (2019) — 2nd

41 total touchdowns in single season (2018) — 2nd

32 passing touchdowns in single season (2019) — 2nd

https://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2021/4/29/22402292/sam-ehlinger-scouting-report-2021-nfl-draft-texas-longhorns

11 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I disagree with corner, I still think we need someone to really push Rock (because he kinda sucks). In all fairness though, I did not realize we were in the seventh round. Unlikely to find a starting LT there, I agree

We brought back Carrie. Carrie already took snaps from him last season. Tell could push rock too.

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

life long backup with poor accuracy, problem throwing vertically and little mobility according to the boys on the NFL channel.

Wait,   he isn't projected to be a hall of famer?     I'm shocked.    He was drafted in the 7th round

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What were Justin Fields?

I think he's available low because he just gets discounted.  He runs almost as well as Tebow, so it gets assumed that he can't throw.

He will 100 percent be on the practice squad or cut

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

life long backup with poor accuracy, problem throwing vertically and little mobility according to the boys on the NFL channel.

Don't know why they say that, because Ehlinger has been around for 4 years and is anything but immobile.  He's probably not a long baller but that's why I said he might be good for Frank's offense.  

He's probably a life long backup, but he's hardly a reach in the sixth round and may be more of a steal.

Like someone said earlier, he reminds me of the Saints QB Taysom Hill because of his running ability and similar size.  Not sure of Hill's speed but not sure can similarly play WR in a pinch with 4.74 speed, unless he just has the knack to get open.  OK to compete with Eason for the back-up QB.  It is good to have it understood the it is know that Ehlinger or Eason will be the back-up QB to Wentz, we don't want the Philly syndrome in Colt Nation.

I have a old Army buddy, my room mate in Iraq who bleeds burnt orange like I bleed blue blood and he knows it, is from Austin, grad from the Univ of Texas.  He must be thinking of me as one of the most prolific Texas QB will be playing for my Colts. 

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He will 100 percent be on the practice squad or cut

I'm not making any predictions about draft choices, or how many QBs the Colts will carry any given week.  But I don't think he was drafted with the intent to be an emergency QB for one year, which is how I read the tone of the comments.

5 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

Like someone said earlier, he reminds me of the Saints QB Taysom Hill because of his running ability and similar size.  Not sure of Hill's speed but not sure can similarly play WR in a pinch with 4.74 speed, unless he just has the knack to get open.  OK to compete with Eason for the back-up QB.  It is good to have it understood the it is know that Ehlinger or Eason will be the back-up QB to Wentz, we don't want the Philly syndrome in Colt Nation.

I have a old Army buddy, my room mate in Iraq who bleeds burnt orange like I bleed blue blood and he knows it, is from Austin, grad from the Univ of Texas.  He must be thinking of me as one of the most prolific Texas QB will be playing for my Colts. 

I think Ehlinger has that mental edge that Eason didn't display in college.  He's more like a bigger and taller Jake Fromm, who can also run.  But I don't know if he's capable of throwing/processing the NFL game like Fromm was said to be able to, despite Ehlinger's great passing stats.

Archived