Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Sam Ehlinger ((MERGE))

ColtV

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Only 3 games pressure is on!

We shall see.  I think Eason is going to have to do pretty bad to lose the back up job.  Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Colts keep all three due to Wentz’s injury history and maybe Frank will have a package for Sam or Eason like he did for Jacoby last year.  

There are plenty of late round guys that go on to great careers not just Tom Brady. I'm not writing off anyone. I like the pick because one thing is for sure, Sam will compete his heart out which will only benefit the room.

You know what. I read posters saying this is probably due to Wentz's injury history. Wentz

would fair far more better with a good left tackle than a barely 6 foot qb from a running program that passing is an afterthought. Why waste a pick on this guy? Colts pick a safety that cannot cover man to man. Back up at best if he can stick on an NFL roster. Colts pick a receiver that is tall and fairly quick, but is a raw project. One OT they picked is projected to be a half decent back up with short arms and will struggle against NFL edge rushers. Their number one pick in the draft has one move in his arsenal and that is telling anyone who would listen about him and his momma's struggles in life.

What happened! this draft is so deep in left tackles? Every team got one except indy. Once again, the QB pick was just plain stupid. If Eason is no good, then can him! How would they know anyway? Brissett was coddled and favored over the other qb's for far too long. If you all dought anything I have said about these draft picks, just read the scouting reports on these guys. 

Probably isn't going to beat out Easton but he's there to make sure Easton knows he has to earn his spot.  

Plus if your starter takes an injury you normally have to bring in a QB to be the backup QB while your current #2 plays.  That can be an issue because when you bring a new guy in he normally hasn't spent camp with you and doesn't know the playbook.  

Having a guy around who knows the playbook and who can play that role is a good idea.

On 5/1/2021 at 5:54 PM, chickenMan said:

And Drew Brees....

It's weird, when I was watching his tape, his feet and his eyes reminded me of Brees, like he has a similar pocket presence where he keeps his feet moving and his eyes scanning for the open receiver.

Then I read that he attended the same high school as Brees.

I'm not saying this kid is going to have a career anything at all like Brees, but when Ballard talked about Sam having "it", I think part of "it" is his pocket presence.  Because good feet and good eyes are a QBs next best friend behind their arm, but that's where they differ, Brees had a much better arm.

21 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

You know what. I read posters saying this is probably due to Wentz's injury history. Wentz

would fair far more better with a good left tackle than a barely 6 foot qb from a running program that passing is an afterthought. Why waste a pick on this guy? Colts pick a safety that cannot cover man to man. Back up at best if he can stick on an NFL roster. Colts pick a receiver that is tall and fairly quick, but is a raw project. One OT they picked is projected to be a half decent back up with short arms and will struggle against NFL edge rushers. Their number one pick in the draft has one move in his arsenal and that is telling anyone who would listen about him and his momma's struggles in life.

What happened! this draft is so deep in left tackles? Every team got one except indy. Once again, the QB pick was just plain stupid. If Eason is no good, then can him! How would they know anyway? Brissett was coddled and favored over the other qb's for far too long. If you all dought anything I have said about these draft picks, just read the scouting reports on these guys. Colts should draft football players. Not special olympic contestants.

And Massengill's post of the year goes to...

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

If he does not make it as a QB I hope they give him a try at HB/TE. He is 6'1" and 220 lbs and ran a 4.84 40. He runs well out of the pocket, I bet he could be very much like his old HS teammate in Kylen Granson as a move TE.

Thoughts?

4.84 is way slow for his size. 

I just don't see it.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:47 PM, Wentzszn said:

If you listened to Ballard and Reich’s post draft presser they love this guy. It wont shock me at all if he beats Eason out. He has a ton more experience and his leadership is top notch. He also fits Reich’s system better and if Wentz went down not much would have to change.

Oh Im'd be shocked as Eason is more talented  passer by a long shot. Ehlinger is similar to  tebow in my opinion 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:13 AM, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Colts keep all three due to Wentz’s injury history and maybe Frank will have a package for Sam or Eason like he did for Jacoby last year.  

If Wentz's injury history factors into roster decisions, perhaps the wise move would be to get a veteran QB since neither Eason or Ehlinger has ever played a single snap in the NFL ? Especially considering we want to make the playoffs. :scratch:00

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If Wentz's injury history factors into roster decisions, perhaps the wise move would be to get a veteran QB since neither Eason or Ehlinger has ever played a single snap in the NFL ? Especially considering we want to make the playoffs. :scratch:00

Perhaps they feel Eason is ready to lead the team in a pinch.  

On 5/2/2021 at 10:23 AM, life long said:

There are plenty of late round guys that go on to great careers not just Tom Brady. I'm not writing off anyone. I like the pick because one thing is for sure, Sam will compete his heart out which will only benefit the room.

Well said. For crying out loud, this is a late 6th round pick! The perfect spot to pluck a QB you like as a backup. Cheap and a natural leader with an arm that doesn’t spell starter but does give you a potential long term answer at backup QB. I don’t see the problem here, especially since the Colts’ brass loves the kid. 

31 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If that's the case than the Ehlinger pick was wasted, even as a very late pick?

I kind of feel it was a wasted pick, but I guess they want QB's on the roster.  Eason to back up Wentz and Ehlinger to back up Eason.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:21 PM, MCurtis32 said:

What happened! this draft is so deep in left tackles? Every team got one except indy. Once again, the QB pick was just plain stupid. If Eason is no good, then can him! How would they know anyway? Brissett was coddled and favored over the other qb's for far too long. If you all dought anything I have said about these draft picks, just read the scouting reports on these guys. 

The scary thing about this post, is he could end up being correct on a lot of it! :peek:

Archived