Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign CB Xavier Rhodes

JediXMan

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

It's already been released by the Colts that there not going to put Nelson at left tackle. 

Huh?   Really?   I’d be glad, as I don’t want Q moved.

But who released it and when?   Your mention here is the first I’ve read.   You’d think if it was mentioned there would be a thread on this...

What can you point me to?

1 year at 6.5 million is a good deal for both. Glad to have Rhodes back. 

The market wasn’t there for him because of his age. He is at that stage where he’ll see 1 year deals (or 2 year deals that can be 1 year deals). Eventually he will fade as corners don’t normally play long in their 30s, unless he converts to safety, but that’s not really his skill set. 

We need to take advantage of having another year with Rhodes to get a young starter ready to be our #1. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Strange because I thought he was good last year on my scale anyway of above average, good, very good, great. I figured Rhodes would go for 8 or 9 mill. We got a steal getting him back :thmup:

I think the system with the colts benefits him. We get Tell back so I hope he can win the job from Rock. Tell was working in FL with Darius a couple days ago.

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yes I think he stepped in there for a while in 2019, mostly on the boundary if I remember. Did quite well. Be interesting to see where he is at. Rodgers I think should learn to play in the slot, he would be suited to the role. 

Rodgers could be good.  Should have had three interceptions  in bills game but two penalties  nullified  two and the third he didn't  have hands under ball

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Really?   I’d be glad, as I don’t want Q moved.

But who released it and when?   Your mention here is the first I’ve read.   You’d think if it was mentioned there would be a thread on this...

What can you point me to?

Ballard said it weeks ago after AC retired. That while Q can play both they want to keep him inside next to Kelly unless it’s in emergency relief . Pretty sure it was either on JMV or Dakich show 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ballard said it weeks ago after AC retired. That while Q can play both they want to keep him inside next to Kelly unless it’s in emergency relief . Pretty sure it was either on JMV or Dakich show 

I’m not sure that’s what Ballard said.  I saw the interview, and I don’t recall that.   Further, if he had said that I think this website would have posted it.    Also, if he had said that, I think there would’ve been at least one thread discussion about it.  And there hasn’t been.  Also, no mention from any of the mainstream media, all of whom would’ve picked that up. 

Today’s mention is the first I’ve seen from anyone.   So I’m not sure anything is official just yet. 

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I must admit, its a feeling of relief just to get Xavier back. He fills a very important need. And he played bloody good ball for us last season.

I was actually hoping we would keep him for two years. Ballard is very tight on resources this spring.

Rhodes only wanted one year at this chump change. Betting on himself!

Q could be the best LT on the team next year.  

I have to wonder how many guys in the draft will actually be good day one starters.  Based on what I have read, Frank and Chris seem more open to it than Jim does.

from Recih last month- “Chris (Ballard) and I have already had that conversation, obviously when AC got hurt,” Frank Reich said after the 2020 season via 107.5 The Fan. “It was like, ‘Hey, well let’s take a look at Quenton, maybe that’s a real option. “That would certainly be an option, but like every other decision, you have to look at all options and consider all factors.”

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

I have to wonder how many guys in the draft will actually be good day one starters.  Based on what I have read, Frank and Chris seem more open to it than Jim does.

from Recih last month- “Chris (Ballard) and I have already had that conversation, obviously when AC got hurt,” Frank Reich said after the 2020 season via 107.5 The Fan. “It was like, ‘Hey, well let’s take a look at Quenton, maybe that’s a real option. “That would certainly be an option, but like every other decision, you have to look at all options and consider all factors.”

I fairly confident a rookie LT will be fine especially next to Q

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He never said that. What he did say was we have 4 good offensive linemen and they will put them in spots to get the most out of the oline. 

I believe Reich did address this a little more on the serius interview. Saying something like they like where the four are at now.

Feel like Ballard is being stingy with his money too much. Like maybe it took this long to sign Rhodes cuz he wouldn’t budge off the 6.5 a year.. I say that’s super cheap. He really couldn’t outbid the Broncos and get fuller? I would have thrown 10 mill at him to get him here to solve our problem at CB

21 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Houston should be next. That would set us up with good flexibilty for the draft.

Hilton will probably be next.  It’s the simplest and most straight forward.

But two years ago, Houston patiently waited for two weeks before agreeing to terms.  We’re only at one week now.  So don’t be surprised if Houston plays the waiting game again.  I’m not saying it will happen, only not to be surprised if it does....

8 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Feel like Ballard is being stingy with his money too much. Like maybe it took this long to sign Rhodes cuz he wouldn’t budge off the 6.5 a year.. I say that’s super cheap. He really couldn’t outbid the Broncos and get fuller? I would have thrown 10 mill at him to get him here to solve our problem at CB

Fuller went to Denver, in part, due to the connection with the coach, Vic Fangio.  He was Fuller’s DC in Chicago during Fuller’s best years.   That can’t be under estimated. 

The $3 million dollar difference may turn out to be important for the Colts. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Cause he is getting older and a zone corner. Limited market.

He's going to be 31 in June so I think 1-year is the right move. 

Listening to retired players, the "Vets" of the NFL are really important for the locker-room, even if their production on-field isn't spectacular. I think that's an underrated trait he brings to the team. 

So many young kids have no idea how to handle 10's of millions of dollars and the guys like Xavier Rhodes who have been in the league for 7+ years can help them navigate the NFL's cut-throat waters.

He put up great numbers last season, a real bounce-back from 2018 with the Vikings and he's always tweeting about nutrition and workouts so he could be have that "age-can't-touch-this" touch :D 

Master Ballard will get the tackle in the draft, less of a skill position. Q Nelson is young AF and look how he's turning out! 

We have an A+ linebacker core with a B+ (on a good day) secondary. Guys like Rock Ya-Sin need to go, and whoever holds whenever we play a team thats over .500!

Losing Denico to the damn Titans strings :/  

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

To be clear....    that conversation was about moving Q for a game or two because AC was hurt.   But I do not believe it was about moving Q long term.   Those are two different discussions at different times.  

One is in season, the other is out of season when you’re thinking is long term. 

8 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

No. But I would take any of the WRs in the draft over a washed TY and that is what I expect them to do.

Once again, I think the odds of things working out as you hope are long.   I think you should prepare for disappointment.

I’m guessing we sign TYH to a win-win contract AND we also draft a receiver as well. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not sure that’s what Ballard said.  I saw the interview, and I don’t recall that.   Further, if he had said that I think this website would have posted it.    Also, if he had said that, I think there would’ve been at least one thread discussion about it.  And there hasn’t been.  Also, no mention from any of the mainstream media, all of whom would’ve picked that up. 

Today’s mention is the first I’ve seen from anyone.   So I’m not sure anything is official just yet. 

It's not what Ballard said thats why no one has posted that, here is what he said

On if either Quenton Nelson or Braden Smith will be in play at left tackle:

Ballard: "We'll find a way to get our best five on the field in their best spots to help us win."

Left tackle is harder than guard, correct?

Ballard: "Yes."

Is a left tackle is as hard as it gets to find?

Ballard: "I would say now, today, both tackles are hard to spot. It's become such a passing league that they're all difficult (to find); more pressure is probably put on the tackles, just because of the edge rushers in this league. But, I mean, holy crud, the interior rushers are good, too. I mean, I think I've said this all along: like, when you asked the question, is it too high to take a guard at (No.) 6? Well, when you look at what the guards are getting paid in this league, it's almost up to tackle money, and they have to be able to pass pro — like, No. 1 they have to be able to protect. They're all important. But the tackle position's hard. It's hard."

On Nelson's performance at left tackle for a few snaps later in the season, and if he can play the position moving forward:

Ballard: "Here will be the hard thing for us with him: so, you've got an All-Pro guard. I mean, probably the best in the league at his position. Does it make your team better moving him out of that spot? Because he's so good at it. And can the replacement-level player that you put in there, he's not going to play at Quenton's level, but will Quenton play as good at the left tackle level that makes it worth it?"

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

It's not what Ballard said thats why no one has posted that, here is what he said

On if either Quenton Nelson or Braden Smith will be in play at left tackle:

Ballard: "We'll find a way to get our best five on the field in their best spots to help us win."

Left tackle is harder than guard, correct?

Ballard: "Yes."

Is a left tackle is as hard as it gets to find?

Ballard: "I would say now, today, both tackles are hard to spot. It's become such a passing league that they're all difficult (to find); more pressure is probably put on the tackles, just because of the edge rushers in this league. But, I mean, holy crud, the interior rushers are good, too. I mean, I think I've said this all along: like, when you asked the question, is it too high to take a guard at (No.) 6? Well, when you look at what the guards are getting paid in this league, it's almost up to tackle money, and they have to be able to pass pro — like, No. 1 they have to be able to protect. They're all important. But the tackle position's hard. It's hard."

On Nelson's performance at left tackle for a few snaps later in the season, and if he can play the position moving forward:

Ballard: "Here will be the hard thing for us with him: so, you've got an All-Pro guard. I mean, probably the best in the league at his position. Does it make your team better moving him out of that spot? Because he's so good at it. And can the replacement-level player that you put in there, he's not going to play at Quenton's level, but will Quenton play as good at the left tackle level that makes it worth it?"

That’s a LOT of work by you.   Thanks, very much appreciate it.     :thmup:

1 hour ago, Frenchy789 said:

He's going to be 31 in June so I think 1-year is the right move. 

Listening to retired players, the "Vets" of the NFL are really important for the locker-room, even if their production on-field isn't spectacular. I think that's an underrated trait he brings to the team. 

So many young kids have no idea how to handle 10's of millions of dollars and the guys like Xavier Rhodes who have been in the league for 7+ years can help them navigate the NFL's cut-throat waters.

He put up great numbers last season, a real bounce-back from 2018 with the Vikings and he's always tweeting about nutrition and workouts so he could be have that "age-can't-touch-this" touch :D 

Master Ballard will get the tackle in the draft, less of a skill position. Q Nelson is young AF and look how he's turning out! 

We have an A+ linebacker core with a B+ (on a good day) secondary. Guys like Rock Ya-Sin need to go, and whoever holds whenever we play a team thats over .500!

Losing Denico to the damn Titans strings :/  

Tackle is a premium position in the NFL.

Archived