Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign CB Xavier Rhodes

JediXMan

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No matter if he’s an OT or G, I’ve never seen him projected lower than 15.   And I’d seriously question any website that did that.   Maybe Popular Mechanics or Field and Stream!   But no one reputable.   Slater is one of the safest picks in the draft.  He’ll find a home at one of the five OL positions and be very good for the next 8-10 years. 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-drafts/2021/nfl-draft-blitz-2021-alex-khvatov?date=2021-03-02

k.com/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1b.asp

https://elitesportsny.com/2021/02/27/2021-nfl-draft-esnys-fresh-3-round-mock-draft/

All have him below 15 and many more, some have him as high as 5 which seems unrealistic BUT you never know, it only take 1 team to grab a player but sometimes none do.......Id love to have him but am not counting on him or any particular player...Ballard will choose the best fit for the club and most of us wont be excited at first......happens most every year though many of us wanted Q and got our wish

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish this was a two year contract. We already have to re-sign Leonard, Smith, and Hines next off-season. If the colts only other move is to re-sign Hilton then I'm hoping we start working on atleast Smith's extension.

Just now, CR91 said:

I wish this was a two year contract. We already have to re-sign Leonard, Smith, and Hines next off-season. If the colts only other move is to re-sign Hilton then I'm hoping we start working on atleast Smith's extension.

Hope Houston is back too 

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Honestly, wouldn't surprise me if the Colts hope Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell can be the two long-term starters after Rhodes, seems like the Colts are pretty high on Tell.

2 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Honestly, wouldn't surprise me if the Colts hope Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell can be the two long-term starters after Rhodes, seems like the Colts are pretty high on Tell.

That is a lot to put on Rock and Tell imo

41 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-drafts/2021/nfl-draft-blitz-2021-alex-khvatov?date=2021-03-02

k.com/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1b.asp

https://elitesportsny.com/2021/02/27/2021-nfl-draft-esnys-fresh-3-round-mock-draft/

All have him below 15 and many more, some have him as high as 5 which seems unrealistic BUT you never know, it only take 1 team to grab a player but sometimes none do.......Id love to have him but am not counting on him or any particular player...Ballard will choose the best fit for the club and most of us wont be excited at first......happens most every year though many of us wanted Q and got our wish

Thanks...   appreciate you doing that.

As I said in my earlier oust, I’d question the credibility of any website that would forecast that.   Lots of websites cover the draft.   Many have no idea what they’re talking about.  One of them also had Devonte Smith and Micah Parson also below 15 which stunned me.  But, so be it.   I suppose anything is possible.   

Thanks for your post. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Really?   I’d be glad, as I don’t want Q moved.

But who released it and when?   Your mention here is the first I’ve read.   You’d think if it was mentioned there would be a thread on this...

What can you point me to?

They said it on the Colts official podcast I think. I will try to find that podcast for you. 

11 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

last year we gave up a lot of deep balls with man wide open

Blackmon really hurt us 2nd half.  Fun to watch making plays in front but a lot of work to do over the top.  Aging corner and RYS who will always need help dealing with speed and FS who frankly isn’t good enough over the top isn’t the best of situation.

Blackmon needs to at least be adequate in this role.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear....    that conversation was about moving Q for a game or two because AC was hurt.   But I do not believe it was about moving Q long term.   Those are two different discussions at different times.  

One is in season, the other is out of season when you’re thinking is long term. 

I think it was about both, the quote was a little confusing though.  That was his response when asked about about moving him to LT in February.  

The people saying the team shot this down are probably referring to a comment that Jim made.

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

More 1 year contracts than I've ever seen in an off-season.   I think the agents are pushing players that way in order to cash in next year,

12 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Feel like Ballard is being stingy with his money too much. Like maybe it took this long to sign Rhodes cuz he wouldn’t budge off the 6.5 a year.. I say that’s super cheap. He really couldn’t outbid the Broncos and get fuller? I would have thrown 10 mill at him to get him here to solve our problem at CB

It isn't "his" money.

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

That is a lot to put on Rock and Tell imo

i think rock has a break out year or i am just hoping he will .   We need young proven corners and edge guys i hope our young high round picks step up soon .    ballards plan was to have rock , ben and turray be  great starters by now and they threw him a curve ball by not being better by now

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

who played behind moore in 2019 in the slot  ?  i know the slot backup struggled so bad ballard called it out in his 2019 post season press conference

Pretty sure it was Briean Boddy-Calhoun who played slot in the last 4 games of the season, while Moore was out with an ankle injury.

12 hours ago, life long said:

@Thebrashandthebold

"Any" WR in the draft over TY....? What a preposterous take. How many WRs per draft do you expect to reach a pro bowl in their career.  I'm all for bringing back vets for a reasonable price but to say I'd take "ANY" receiver in the draft over TY is absolute blasphemy!

How many receivers in the draft are washed up? TY has lost a step and that was his whole game. I just saw a mock draft that had Ballard taking a WR in the first round and the seventh round. TY is no longer all All Pro. Someone else has a chance to be that.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks...   appreciate you doing that.

As I said in my earlier oust, I’d question the credibility of any website that would forecast that.   Lots of websites cover the draft.   Many have no idea what they’re talking about.  One of them also had Devonte Smith and Micah Parson also below 15 which stunned me.  But, so be it.   I suppose anything is possible.   

Thanks for your post. 

Some probably are making out of the box picks to get people talking about them and their site as well, it seems QB's are always easiest to pick in range though Aaron Rodgers may disagree.  We may also trade back a bit, really so hard to tell as far down as we pick because certain domino's will impact what we would like to accomplish.

7 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Some probably are making out of the box picks to get people talking about them and their site as well, it seems QB's are always easiest to pick in range though Aaron Rodgers may disagree.  We may also trade back a bit, really so hard to tell as far down as we pick because certain domino's will impact what we would like to accomplish.

Aaron Rodgers disagreed on what?

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i think rock has a break out year or i am just hoping he will .   We need young proven corners and edge guys i hope our young high round picks step up soon .    ballards plan was to have rock , ben and turray be  great starters by now and they threw him a curve ball by not being better by now

Colts will be in the playoffs again this year.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear....    that conversation was about moving Q for a game or two because AC was hurt.   But I do not believe it was about moving Q long term.   Those are two different discussions at different times.  

One is in season, the other is out of season when you’re thinking is long term. 

I think Q will get a good look at LT unless something falls in place unexpectedly. Ballard has stated in the game today that the tackle position is the most important position on the line because this is a passing league. Q was rated one of the best LT prospects coming out of HS. I think that Q could be an above average LT which I think is more important then a great LG. Secondly it would be considerably easier to find a good LG than a good LT. I think it is dangerous to rely on a rookie LT with an expensive QB who has been banged up a lot in the last few years to protect his blind side.

I have no doubt in my mind that this is a very strong option the Colts are considering. I mentioned in another thread that we may consider signing Eric Fisher who will be out at the start of the season and put Q at LT in the mean time and maybe permanently. Q will be paid LT money anyway whether he plays G or T.

Just my opinion and I understand it isn't the most popular but I'm sticking with it.:hide:

14 hours ago, life long said:

@Thebrashandthebold

"Any" WR in the draft over TY....? What a preposterous take. How many WRs per draft do you expect to reach a pro bowl in their career.  I'm all for bringing back vets for a reasonable price but to say I'd take "ANY" receiver in the draft over TY is absolute blasphemy!

Blasphemy? That usually means whatever you have to say is nonsense. Here is a potential draft that shows the Colts taking two wide receivers including on in the first round. That would be much more preferable than bringing back and old and slowed TY Hilton who was never a number one receivers at his very best. I would take the seventh round pick over TY. Indianapolis Colts full 2021 NFL mock draft (msn.com)

28 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Blasphemy? That usually means whatever you have to say is nonsense. Here is a potential draft that shows the Colts taking two wide receivers including on in the first round. That would be much more preferable than bringing back and old and slowed TY Hilton who was never a number one receivers at his very best. I would take the seventh round pick over TY. Indianapolis Colts full 2021 NFL mock draft (msn.com)

i'm glad you are not the GM.   Hilton wasn't #1 with 91 catches for 1448 yards?

Mack, Xavier.... both important resigning. 

Ballard is waiting for the FA signing to level off to access fair value. Meantime keeping close tap on offers to his resigning targets.

If you know what your needs and fair value than the rest is being smart. He did that with his QB search and did very well with Carson Wentz. He targeted Matt Stafford but Carson will turn out to be a much better pick. 

My GUESS:  Hilton, TJ Carrie, Justin Houston.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

i'm glad you are not the GM.   Hilton wasn't #1 with 91 catches for 1448 yards?

No, he wasn't. He was the most used and he was the only receiver Luck would lock onto. He was never a Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison type receiver and opponents took him out of important games. He was a very small speed receiver but never a number one in my opinion (and many others too).

3 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Mack, Xavier.... both important resigning. 

Ballard is waiting for the FA signing to level off to access fair value. Meantime keeping close tap on offers to his resigning targets.

If you know what your needs and fair value than the rest is being smart. He did that with his QB search and did very well with Carson Wentz. He targeted Matt Stafford but Carson will turn out to be a much better pick. 

My GUESS:  Hilton, TJ Carrie, Justin Houston.

Wentz will be better than Stafford? The cost involved for Stafford says you are very wrong. I just don't see Wentz getting the job done over the long haul. He was a rather cheap bridge to the next QB.

2 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

Aaron Rodgers disagreed on what?

Colts will be in the playoffs again this year.

Aaron would disagree QB draft rank easiest to pick for analysts , most had him much higher than he was selected so he would say even gauging where QBs are picked is a crap shoot.

19 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I must admit, its a feeling of relief just to get Xavier back. He fills a very important need. And he played bloody good ball for us last season.

I was actually hoping we would keep him for two years. Ballard is very tight on resources this spring.

Yeah...I think Rhodes deserved at least a 2 year deal from Indy.  Xavier must not have found much of a market in free agency.  Glad to have him back.

1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

No, he wasn't. He was the most used and he was the only receiver Luck would lock onto. He was never a Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison type receiver and opponents took him out of important games. He was a very small speed receiver but never a number one in my opinion (and many others too).

So you think only Hall of Fame WR's can be the #1?

1 hour ago, Myles said:

So you think only Hall of Fame WR's can be the #1?

Not at all. TY has always had his warts and defenses shut him down in important games. I think he WAS a very good player. He isn't any longer. He is washed up. Draft a good rookie and get younger and let TY go somewhere else to sit on the bench to finish his career. He may not even be offered a contract.

9 hours ago, coming on strong said:

who played behind moore in 2019 in the slot  ?  i know the slot backup struggled so bad ballard called it out in his 2019 post season press conference

Not sure, but it wasn't Tell. Ballard praised his growth and there was chatter of him taking a starting roll sometime during the 2020 season.

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Not sure, but it wasn't Tell. Ballard praised his growth and there was chatter of him taking a starting roll sometime during the 2020 season.

I recall Tell stumbling and bumbling and looking pretty lost.
That helped explain to me his sitting out last year.

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Carrie was the one that was brought in to play  in the slot behind Moore. Rogers could probably take that spot if they decide not to bring back Carrie. Carrie ended up playing s lot on the outside though because Rock was struggling.

23 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Rock has to find more speed and quickness to be solid. 
So playing about 10lbs lighter is an option. lol

37 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Carrie was the one that was brought in to play  in the slot behind Moore. Rogers could probably take that spot if they decide not to bring back Carrie. Carrie ended up playing s lot on the outside though because Rock was struggling.

Nope. The question was:

On 3/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, coming on strong said:

Carrie was with the Browns in 2019.

You're talking about 2020.

We shouldn't sleep on Tell or Rodgers.......Tell should be HUNGRY after sitting out a year AND Rodgers was placed in the fire in the playoff loss to the Bills and intercepted two consecutive passes (including one in the end zone) on sticky coverage - both were called back due to penalty (not on him) as I recall!

Two others added over the winter that need mentioned are Roderic Teamer and Nick Nelson.  Teamer had a great rookie year with the Chargers in 2019 but sat out last year for a suspension. He played that Geathers role for the Chargers and did pretty darn good.

Nelson was a 4th rounder out of Wisconsin I believe that never got a chance to get on track after a foot injury. But he could provide depth at both corner and safety. 

Archived