Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans Releasing JJ Watt (Mega Merge)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even he wanted to get the hell away from the Texans and Jack Easterby (is there still anyone out there who doesn’t want to acknowledge the giant pink elephant on fire in the room about what is going on down there?) and the Texans have granted him that. 

He sure would look good in home blue...

• Shive changed the title to Texans cut JJ Watt (Merge)
  • Shive changed the title to Texans Releasing JJ Watt (Merge)
4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Weird, even if it's not the biggest surprise.

Tampa or KC would be the obvious places he's going. 

Tampa doesn't have the cap space for him.  Arians was just saying there would be a few hard cuts and theyre focused on bringing those guys back.

• Shive changed the title to Texans Releasing JJ Watt (Mega Merge)
10 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Rumored to be headed to Pittsburgh, play with his brothers

Would Pittsburgh want him though? Obviously they'd love to get him, but they don't have much cap space left and their D is already very good. They need to spend whatever money they have left on fixing their offense.

20 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Rumored to be headed to Pittsburgh, play with his brothers

I think that's more of a floated rumor because it's a nice storyline, not because there's any actual truth in it. I mean, he may want to play with his brothers, but according to Spotrac, the Steelers are already an estimated $18M over the cap. so they may not have the cap space to sign him.

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

At this point in his life, he would probably go to KC, GB or TB, to get that ring that eluded him, IMO. We are closer to division contention than SB contention compared to those teams, just being honest.

28 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Would Pittsburgh want him though? Obviously they'd love to get him, but they don't have much cap space left and their D is already very good. They need to spend whatever money they have left on fixing their offense.

18 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Was a face of the league at one time. Situational player role more likely at this time. I wonder what kind of contract his skills will command. 

With Big Ben likely returning, Pittsburgh would have to be in the conversation to chase another ring and JJ would probably take less money to go there and play with his bros, especially in a reduced or situational role.

20 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Much respect for JJ class guy HOF player. Having said all that Colts should continue to focus on the QB issue we have and go from there.

I agree QB is the most important issue this off-season, but I’m sure Ballard and staff are quite the multitaskers and not just focusing on the QB hunt.

I'd give him three years $16M per with a nice signing bonus and some incentives. Release Houston and let Walker walk. I think we could afford it if he was interested. I'd at least call him ask if he'd like to have lunch. With Buckner he wouldn't have to be the center of the attention on D. Watt, Leonard and Buckner would be a pretty formidable group. We wouldn't need to look too hard right now for a edge if JJ was here. We spend draft capital on LT and corner in the first two rounds. People always say top edge guys never hit the market. Well one just did. Maybe not the JJ of 5 years ago, but probably better than anyone we've got under contract right now. 

1 hour ago, GAColtsFan said:

I agree QB is the most important issue this off-season, but I’m sure Ballard and staff are quite the multitaskers and not just focusing on the QB hunt.

Yes, I hope our general manager can deal with more than one issue at a time. Amazing people think it will help us find a quarterback better by ignoring everything else.

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

um...wut? 

Walker is probably gone anyway. He wants playing time he's not going get here. And Houston has been good, but his production was down this year and he's not getting any younger. I'd let him go if it allowed me to sign Watt.

14 minutes ago, FRW said:

I'd give him three years $16M per with a nice signing bonus and some incentives. Release Houston and let Walker walk. I think we could afford it if he was interested. I'd at least call him ask if he'd like to have lunch. With Buckner he wouldn't have to be the center of the attention on D. Watt, Leonard and Buckner would be a pretty formidable group. We wouldn't need to look too hard right now for a edge if JJ was here. We spend draft capital on LT and corner in the first two rounds. People always say top edge guys never hit the market. Well one just did. Maybe not the JJ of 5 years ago, but probably better than anyone we've got under contract right now. 

I wouldn't release Houston but would love to sign to Watt.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the best player in Texans history. In our division the best players in history for each team have been:

1. Colts - Peyton

2. Texans - JJ Watt

3. Titans - Derrick Henry

4. Jags - Fred Taylor

- JJ won't come here IMO but it would be cool if he did.

Dude... Steve McNair and Warren Moon for the Titans?  

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the best player in Texans history. In our division the best players in history for each team have been:

1. Colts - Peyton

2. Texans - JJ Watt

3. Titans - Derrick Henry

4. Jags - Fred Taylor

- JJ won't come here IMO but it would be cool if he did.

Has Henry passed Eddie George? 

Archived