Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans Releasing JJ Watt (Mega Merge)

26 minutes ago, FRW said:

Walker is probably gone anyway. He wants playing time he's not going get here. And Houston has been good, but his production was down this year and he's not getting any younger. I'd let him go if it allowed me to sign Watt.

Houston is a Free Agent so you don’t have to release him. Plus he is only a year older than JJ and had a solid year. Great pressure rate. That being said, I think JJ could be really good here next to Buckner. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the best player in Texans history. In our division the best players in history for each team have been:

1. Colts - Peyton

2. Texans - JJ Watt

3. Titans - Derrick Henry

4. Jags - Fred Taylor

- JJ won't come here IMO but it would be cool if he did.

Mark Brunelll for Jags?

Man, can’t believe the team that went to the 2017 season AFCCG took such a series of steps backwards to end up with the No.1 pick in 2021.

The same can be said about the Colts - from 2009 season SB to first pick in 2012. :) 

Amazing player, amazing person, although who know what's left in the tank. I don't think there's much chance he comes to Indy, nor that it would be a good move for us. 

Seems like a good time to bring up this wonderful hot take on him being drafted...

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/04-29-11-texans-will-rue-the-night-they-took-pizza-boy-watts-over-nick-fairley-houston-lover/#slide=0

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mark Brunelll for Jags?

Man, can’t believe the team that went to the 2017 season AFCCG took such a series of steps backwards to end up with the No.1 pick in 2021.

The same can be said about the Colts - from 2009 season SB to first pick in 2012. :) 

The Colts had a little because of injury but both were caused be FO mismanagement 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I don't think they're winning the SB with an old Ben- I'm projecting ring chasing 

Thats certainly a possibility.

But the chance for all three to play on the same team, on a team that STILL has a legit shot at a SB, i am betting will be too tempting for JJ.   There were rumors before all this drama in Houston that he’d like to play in Pittsburgh with his brothers.  I remember an interview with CJ and JJ where they were kinda “wink-winking” hinting how great it would be to play together.

My gut just tells me after the drama in Houston, he already has his eyes set on Pittsburgh.  Having fun with your brothers at the end of your career, SB or not, could be just the right medicine.  And you cant tell me JJ doesnt get excited looking at the Steeler D.

Just a hunch, but i think, as long as Pittsburgh is in, its a done deal.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the best player in Texans history. In our division the best players in history for each team have been:

1. Colts - Peyton

2. Texans - JJ Watt

4. Jags - Fred Taylor

I think i’d put McNair AND George above Henry in Tennessee.

Tuff to argue JJ, but Watson and Hopkins are right there for me too.

Jax?  Well......... maybe Boselli?  Haha

For what it’s worth...

Watching the NFL Network, they listed four teams they thought would be the front runners for JJW.

— Pittsburgh,  to be with his brothers. 
— Baltimore, there are coaches there he likes that used to be with Houston.

— Green Bay, he played college at Wisconsin. 
— Tennessee, JJ is said to be very close to Vrabel and other Tenn coaches. 

The view is JJ is less interested in money, he’s made a fortune.   Wants a chance to win.  

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

At this point in his life, he would probably go to KC, GB or TB, to get that ring that eluded him, IMO. We are closer to division contention than SB contention compared to those teams, just being honest.

With a solid QB and some other minor improvements, I think we'd be right in contention.  We beat GB this past year.  Aside from QB, we need to make sure the LT spot is secure, could use to add a playmaker at TE &/or WR, and on D if we could increase our edge rush a bit and get more consistency from the defensive backfield (I think Ya-Sin will bounce back and Blackmon will improve, so if we can retain Rhodes we might not be far away from getting more consistency there).  

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Mark Brunelll for Jags?

As @PrincetonTiger mentioned, FO's in both instances didn't help the situations.. but we also lost one of the greatest QBs of all-time that season (even if it's argued Brady's better b/c more rings, Peyton - IMO- proved how valuable he was to Indy when he was replaced with a group of back-ups).  I don't think the bolded article is really fair.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Colts - Peyton

2. Texans - JJ Watt

4. Jags - Fred Taylor

I'd argue that McNair and Eddie George to this point have been more iconic Titans than Derrick Henry.....

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would argue that 32 year old DTs  dont have a lot left in the tank

He was the most double teamed edge rusher in the league this year

Had 14 TFL which is more than Buckner

He's still a fantastic run defender

He has a lot left in the tank..

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I was basically listing players that have been in our division. When Moon played they weren't in our division. I should've been more clear earlier.

It's all good.....I could list The Freak as one of the most disruptive defensive players as well.....McNair, George and the Freak (Kearse) killed us more than Henry has in my own opinion (to date).

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

It's all good.....I could list The Freak as one of the most disruptive defensive players as well.....McNair, George and the Freak (Kearse) killed us more than Henry has in my own opinion (to date).

Yeah I just listed Henry because he is the best back in the league now but McNair probably deserves the title of being the best.

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Tampa doesn't have the cap space for him.  Arians was just saying there would be a few hard cuts and theyre focused on bringing those guys back.

Yeah but some of the Bucs players have already said they would take pay cuts and or restructure their contracts to make cap space. 

With that said I think he will end up a Steeler and join his brothers. It's not like he needs a huge contract, he is already set for life. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah but some of the Bucs players have already said they would take pay cuts and or restructure their contracts to make cap space. 

With that said I think he will end up a Steeler and join his brothers. It's not like he needs a huge contract, he is already set for life. 

I say Steelers as well because of his brothers and they can contend.

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Wow. Where is the author of that piece now?! haha

Watt is the kind of person I would have wanted representing my team. He is a great human being. And was once a great player too.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I was basically listing players that have been in our division. When Moon played they weren't in our division. I should've been more clear earlier.

When I think of Warren Moon, Titans don't come to mind. Did he ever play in Tennessee? To me he is a Houston Oiler.  (Yes, I know it is the same franchise.)

McNair is the best Tennessee Titan, IMO. (I liked Frank Wycheck too but he is not among the greats. But he was a favorite of mine.)

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

When I think of Warren Moon, Titans don't come to mind. Did he ever play in Tennessee? To me he is a Houston Oiler. 

Me too. It is considered the same franchise but I think of Oilers when Moon comes to mind. The year the Titans went to the SB in 1999 they weren't in our division either. I was basically taking players from 2002 to now when the divisions got realigned.

Archived