Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would it cost?

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

So... just spit balling here...

What picks would it cost us to move up to #2 and get fields?

If we want Fields, we shouldn’t have to move up to 2 to get him. Wilson is the hotter QB from what I’ve read. Plus I could see the Jets keeping Darnold. 

Jaguars will take Lawrence then the next QB won't be selected til Carolina 

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Falcons are stuck with Ryan for now 

Bengals have Burrow 

Eagles have Wentz and Hurts

Lions proved they will stick with Goff

(They turned down Panthers for 8th overall)

Panthers will take Jones Fields or Wilson 

I think 2 firsts and 2 seconds, START the bidding

The problem is our 1st is 21st, the other 5 guys that will want the same trade will offer a better 1st

Its like trying to win a hand at poker with a pair of 9's   The other 4 players have a pair of Kings, Queens, and Jacks  

The pair of 9's just wont win   

I just dont see CB in that auction

Our best bet is that Fields slides a bit....  

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

Falcons could take a QB to groom behind Ryan and the chances someone jumps a head of the Panthers or forces the Panthers to move up is high.  You also can’t rule out the Jets taking a QB completely.  I don’t think they will but there is still a chance they could.  

33 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

Falcons will take Ryan's successor 

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Falcons could take a QB to groom behind Ryan and the chances someone jumps a head of the Panthers or forces the Panthers to move up is high.  You also can’t rule out the Jets taking a QB completely.  I don’t think they will but there is still a chance they could.  

I agree jets, falcons, panthers, denver, Patriots could all take a qb 

51 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If we want Fields, we shouldn’t have to move up to 2 to get him. Wilson is the hotter QB from what I’ve read. Plus I could see the Jets keeping Darnold. 

Is it about hotter or is it about BETTER for the Colts?

I don't know the answer to that. I'm going to guess the Jets won't lack suitors, lets see what they do with Darnold. I think they may give him one more shot and stock up picks.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

4 quarterbacks are going in the top 10

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I agree jets, falcons, panthers, denver, Patriots could all take a qb 

So could the Football team in Washington, 49ers, even the Saints could trade up for one.  There will be a lot of teams wanting a QB.  That’s why Ballard doesn’t think one will be there at 21.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

Unless you think he won't be the 2nd QB taken, I don't see how it happens.

It's the draft though, Trubisky and Daniel Jones worked miracles.

I think Wilson is 2nd off board to Carolina then Fields goes around 10 to 14 possibly in a trade up scenario. 

Atlanta would be crazy not to take a QB at 4.  Ryan is about cooked.  Fields being a hometown kid seems too perfect for them.  Draft experts are suggesting they’ll take Wilson (I hope so because I want Fields on the Colts).  I think Ballard is gonna have to get in front of the Falcons to get Fields. 

Our biggest obstacle is gonna be whatever the Texans decide to do with Watson.  If they move him to the Jets, then the Texans will surely take Fields or Wilson at 2. So we’d be looking at 2 young stud QB’s (Lawrence & Fields or Wilson) in the AFC South.  That’s a potential doomsday scenario if they both end up being legit.  

If the Texans move Watson to the Dolphins for Tua and picks, we’d still have to potentially get in front of the Falcons for Fields but Wilson would be an excellent consolation prize if we could trade up for the Eagles 6th pick.  Possible we could still get Fields at 6 if the Falcons take Wilson.

Our overall best best bet is to trade up to the Eagles 6th pick from our 21st.  Then hope & pray that the Texans keep Watson or send him to the NFC (Washington or wherever).  From the 6th pick we move up to the Dolphins 3rd pick and take Fields in front of the Falcons.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So could the Football team in Washington, 49ers, even the Saints could trade up for one.  There will be a lot of teams wanting a QB.  That’s why Ballard doesn’t think one will be there at 21.

That is why I say get a bridge QB like Fitzpatrick/Foles to hold the fort for Eason, or get a short term 2 year deal with a guy like Darnold or Trubisky.

Trot out your best roster by getting a left tackle at #21 and double down on defense to give your QB all the support he needs with the OL and defense. Then see where it goes from there.

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

if I were the Jets GM I think I'd take either Sewell or Chase and give Darnold one more try without Gase in the building

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is why I say get a bridge QB like Fitzpatrick/Foles to hold the fort for Eason, or get a short term 2 year deal with a guy like Darnold or Trubisky.

Trot out your best roster by getting a left tackle at #21 and double down on defense to give your QB all the support he needs with the OL and defense. Then see where it goes from there.

they may end up having little choice but to do either some "bridge-to-Eason" move, or maybe Reich sees something (I haven't, but I'm not a QB whisperer) in someone like Trubisky that makes him think he can make Mitch into Good Wentz 2.0

I'd also be OK w/ Darnold as long as the price isn't too high, but I'm not yet convinced he'll actually be on the trade market

I go back and forth as to whether I'd prefer 1) picking an OT at #21 and trying to sign a FA edge guy or CB, or 2) doing it the other way around. It sounds like it's a good enough tackle draft that a promising guy may still be there at #54 (Eichenberg?), and if so then perhaps #21 could even be used on one of the athletic edge guys like Oweh or Ojulari if either one is available

15 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Name the 4 and the teams taking them

Its impossible to account for trades too

Exactly.  The early picks will be used on QB's.....either by the original team with the pick or a team trading up with them.

I do think the Falcons, Dolphins, Jets, Lions probably all take QB's. 

17 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

I can see the Jets grabbing a QB.

Dolphins as well.

Falcons will most likely take a QB

Carolina, Denver, San Fran, Minnesota and the Patriots could want a QB as well.  

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Exactly.  The early picks will be used on QB's.....either by the original team with the pick or a team trading up with them.

I do think the Falcons, Dolphins, Jets, Lions probably all take QB's. 

What happens to Ryan Tagovailoa Darnold and Goff or do the rookies just sit?

17 hours ago, ColtV said:

The short answer: too expensive to make that jump. 

Agree. It's not that it is really expensive. It's more to do with how far back we r. Teams trading back who are in the top 5 or 10 want to stay in the top 10 and not slide all the way to 21. Now u could offer a player say a Leonard or Nelson. The only problem is thst they r due big contracts and teams that low in the draft r usually rebuilding. Could do what Philly did when they got Wentz. Move up close to the top 10 by say trading a player of worth. Then....bang....make a move!!!!

18 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

I think you've missed the boat here.  Study history to see where QB's are taken.  There will absolutely be QB's taken somewhere in the 2-7 range.  It is a certainty.

Jets have Darnold - So what?  Bet they don't have Darnold by the draft and if they do, they won't pass up a QB they like.  

Dolphins have Tagovailoa - for now.  Could easily see him moved as part of a Watson deal.

Falcons are stuck with Ryan for now - Does not mean they won't take a QB.  New staff - makes sense to start with a new QB.

Bengals have Burrow 

Eagles have Wentz and Hurts - for how long do they have both?

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think you've missed the boat here.  Study history to see where QB's are taken.  There will absolutely be QB's taken somewhere in the 2-7 range.  It is a certainty.

Jets have Darnold - So what?  Bet they don't have Darnold by the draft and if they do, they won't pass up a QB they like.  

Dolphins have Tagovailoa - for now.  Could easily see him moved as part of a Watson deal.

Falcons are stuck with Ryan for now - Does not mean they won't take a QB.  New staff - makes sense to start with a new QB.

Bengals have Burrow 

Eagles have Wentz and Hurts - for how long do they have both?

Yes.   The Jets are itching to use this high draft pic on a QB.   Whether in a trade or in the draft.  Arizona opened this can when they drafted Murray a year after drafting Rosen.  

The Falcons need a young QB whether Ryan starts this year or not.  

16 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I cant see 3 QBs going top 5

I can't see it NOT happening. Lawrence is going #1 and the NYJ are either going QB at #2 or trading it to a team that will take a QB. So I don't see how the next 3 picks wouldn't at least include 1 (if not 2) QBs. Other than Sewell, what prospects are getting taken over a QB there? Or what prospects would be a team take instead of trading back to one of the half dozen (or more) QB needy teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4 went top 5...by definitely the top 4 gone by #8.

It would be expensive...but absolutely worth it. Except I wouldn't draft Fields...I would take Wilson. The guy is athletic and mobile...and very accurate. Put him in a dome with a great OL and improved pass catchers...and the Colts are looking at a top 5 offense in the very near (if not immediate) future.

Imagine the Colts make this move soon enough that it will be official when the league year starts. The hype train will be off the tracks. Wilson will be seen as a Day 1 starter...and if he's anywhere near as good as Herbert was...the Colts are immediate contenders next season (and definitely by the following season). So I don't think they will have any issue attracting a pair of pass catchers (perhaps something like ARob and Henry) to come be part of something special. And the Colts will have ample cap space to address that AND possibly another need or two. Not to mention targeting established talent via trades (from teams that need to shed cap space). With the freed up cap space...the Colts can do some serious damage.

The only downside is the draft capital. But when you have a QB on a rookie deal...they aren't as important because of the flexibility you have. I think I would gladly trade some early picks for a great 3-4 year run.

Archived