19 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jaguars will take Lawrence then the next QB won't be selected til Carolina 

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Falcons are stuck with Ryan for now 

Bengals have Burrow 

Eagles have Wentz and Hurts

Lions proved they will stick with Goff

(They turned down Panthers for 8th overall)

Panthers will take Jones Fields or Wilson 

Agree with most of what you say.

Wentz and Hurts staying with the eagles although I have heard eagles are now shopping hurts as Sirianni is going to fix Wentz.

Falcons are rumored to be interested in either Fields or Lance at 4 and dump Ryan next season 2022

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

At a minimum....

The Colts would likely need to package...

21:   1st and 3rd

22:   1st and 3rd

Still interested?

I would do that. I think it's on the cheap side. I think the more likely one is #21+2(!!) future 1sts + future 2nd or 3d. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

At a minimum....

Still interested?

I would.  Ballard and staff have shown an ability to accumulate picks and find good value after the first round.  Plus we’d get compensatory picks for any vets we lose.  Problem is I think we’d have to make another deal afterwords to move up one more time. 

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would do that. I think it's on the cheap side. I think the more likely one is #21+2(!!) future 1sts + future 2nd or 3d. 

Yes...   that’s why I wrote my first sentence....

At a minimum.

I also think it might be our first and second both years.   Maybe more?

14 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I would.  Ballard and staff have shown an ability to accumulate picks and find good value after the first round.  Plus we’d get compensatory picks for any vets we lose.  Problem is I think we’d have to make another deal afterwords to move up one more time. 

Move up one more time?

I thought this was to move up to the 2nd overall pick?   Where else are you moving up?

20 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

You know other teams are allowed to trade up too right?

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Move up one more time?

I thought this was to move up to the 2nd overall pick?   Where else are you moving up?

I was thinking that we move up to like 6th or 7th (Eagles or Lions).  Then from there get up to 2nd or 3rd in front of the Falcons.  If the scenario is to get up to #2 initially then that’s even better.  Cut out the middle man. 

20 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I was thinking that we move up to like 6th or 7th (Eagles or Lions).  Then from there get up to 2nd or 3rd in front of the Falcons.  If the scenario is to get up to #2 initially then that’s even better.  Cut out the middle man. 

Have you met our GM?

23 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

My post was responding to the OP who asked what would it cost to trade up to #2 so that we could draft Fields.

My offer was couched that it would take a minimum of two 1’s and two 3’s...   and that would likely be the cheapest possible cost.  And it could easily be more expensive than that.   Two 1’s and two 2’s.  Maybe more?   

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Agree with most of what you say.

Wentz and Hurts staying with the eagles although I have heard eagles are now shopping hurts as Sirianni is going to fix Wentz.

Falcons are rumored to be interested in either Fields or Lance at 4 and dump Ryan next season 2022

I kinda wonder if Hurts is a dark horse guy for Ballard to go get if he’s truly available.

22 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets have Darnold 

Dolphins have Tagovailoa 

Bengals have Burrow 

Team will trade up in the draft and jump carolina.

I bet Ballard is up to something, but he won't trade up to get a QB in this draft class, because outside of Lawrence, it's a week QB class.

I honestly don't see a legit franchise QB besides Lawrence this year.

A lot of the QB in this draft is overrated as "BLIP".

I bet Mac Jones will have more success than Fields and Wilson, but unless he´s there at #21 we wont take him, and even then, I think Ballard has his eyes set on another player, as the defensive side of our team need some now energy.

16 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Team will trade up in the draft and jump carolina.

I bet Ballard is up to something, but he won't trade up to get a QB in this draft class, because outside of Lawrence, it's a week QB class.

I honestly don't see a legit franchise QB besides Lawrence this year.

A lot of the QB in this draft is overrated as "BLIP".

I bet Mac Jones will have more success than Fields and Wilson, but unless he´s there at #21 we wont take him, and even then, I think Ballard has his eyes set on another player, as the defensive side of our team need some now energy.

maybe the Colts' pass defense issues (ranked #31 in the 2nd half of the season IIRC) has him thinking about, instead of spending what it would cost to move up for QB, spending less to move up far enough to maybe draft Surtain or Farley, or one of the really promising edge rushers--especially if he feels like Rhodes will be too expensive to sign, and so will the edge guys available in free agency

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Have you met our GM?

Yeah.  He seems like a shrewd individual.  He saw how the Chiefs targeted their guy and went and got him.  Buffalo moved up twice for their guy.  Ballard will do what it takes to take advantage of this window where we have a team with 6 All Pros (many we will have to pay soon).  Now is the time to get the young QB on a cost controlled 1st contract and strike before we have to pay him the big bucks.  Be it Fields (my 1st choice) or Wilson (my 2nd choice).  You get them now and don't look back. 

I've been checking out the PFF stats and both their numbers are off the charts.  Wilson had an outstanding season.  Fields' overall better career stats while facing tougher competition are what separates the two for me.  Better than even Trevor's in the majority of metrics.  All time great stuff.  He's the perfect answer and counter to Trevor entering the division with the Jags.  Well worth whatever it takes to get him.

I remember watching Peyton for years at Tennessee.  Everything about him told me that he was gonna be a star at the next level.  Couldn't believe my luck that he would get drafted by my favorite team and I'd get to watch him live for the next decade plus become an all time great.  I've been picking up the same vibe for Fields since seeing him steal the show from Trevor at the Elite 11 competition 3 years ago.  Been following him since and he hasn't disappointed me yet (no more than Peyton breaking my heart and not being able to get past the Gators all those times). 

I hope I can get just as lucky this year as I did with the 1998 draft and have my favorite team draft, in my eyes, the most impressive QB in the draft.  I hope Ballard feels the same.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

At a minimum....

Still interested?

I mean... really we are gaining a 1...  so we lose 2 3rds and next years 1st to get a Fields.  Yes please 

46 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Moving up to 2 might be asking a lot. What would it cost to move to 5 or 7? I think those are realistic moves the Colts could explore depending on how the draft pans out.

Found the answer to my question. It'd likely cost two 1st and two 2nd (2021 and 22) picks. On the plus side, if this staff feels strong enough about their drafting, they can trade their way to more picks.

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

I mean... really we are gaining a 1...  so we lose 2 3rds and next years 1st to get a Fields.  Yes please 

I’d do that too. But that alone isn’t likely to get Indy up to #2.

KC had to give up #27, their third that year, and a first next to move up to #10 to select Mahomes. That’s pretty close to the value on the Rich Hill trade chart when the first rounder next season is discounted by half (which seems to be a fairly common way to value picks in subsequent drafts). An extra third alone wouldn’t get the Colts up to #2.

Using the Hill draft model and same depreciation, to get up to #2, the Colts would have to give up something like:

-2021 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks

-2022 1st and 2nd round picks

-2023 1st round pick

To get to #3, they’d have to give up a package like:

-2021 1st and 2nd

-2022 1st and 2nd

-While getting #113 back from Miami

Moving to six using the same model would take:

-2021 1st and 3rd

-2022 1st

That’s the same combination KC used to move up for Mahomes. To the extent the Colts are actually interested in moving up, I’d guess somewhere in picks 4-7 would be their target.

Archived