Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is TY Hilton on the way out?

tvturner

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, stitches said:

:\ I don't know how to feel about this. Seems...less likely than I hoped it would be that TY will be back. Lets see...

I kind of want him back too, his vet presence is important too. I think Ballard will offer him a contract, but it wont be lucrative enough for him not to test the market.

I love T.Y. but it's looking more and more like he won't be back.

Just to throw out a devil's advocate that I haven't seen yet though: he could be writing pre-emptively in past tense as he knows that both he and those to whom he is giving the jerseys will be retired some day. If the idea is to give them something to remember him by, looking at a jersey in 10 years time that says 'It IS so good to BE your teammate' would be weird.

Sometimes I write emails late at night, and I begin them with 'Good morning'. Not because it's morning time, but because that will make most sense when the recipient reads it.

I'm reaching aren't I?

On 1/26/2021 at 10:06 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure what to think of this? Does he want out? or has Ballard said something? IMO in the Indianapolis era (1984-2020), he is the 3rd best WR we have ever had only behind Marvin and Reggie.

I don't disagree, but he's nowhere near a HOF player like either of those guys.  A very good, but not GREAT WR.  He didn't have Peyton, that is for sure.. but he doesn't produce very well when teams shift to eliminate him.  Marv had more coverage on him and still caught 143 balls in 1 season when he was getting mauled and had double or triple coverage most of time.

He said he wants to test out FA.  Ballard knows what he's worth.  He's a good Colt, a fun TD dance and a got a great name by Pagano with 'The Ghost' which he sells for personal gains.  

I hope TY signs back with the Colts, as I like him on the team... but it's a 'what have you done for me lately league' and Ballard probably has told him what he is worth in honesty.  At this point, his worth is about the average #2 WR in the league, maybe because of his leadership in the Colts' locker room he gets a bit more.   My guess is he tries and fails at getting #1 WR $ and comes back.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:48 AM, luv_pony_express said:

I have to imagine that the Colts’ offer and TY’s asking price simply don’t meet.  It happens all the time with vets.

TY probably wants #1 WR money, and for a guy who has never caught more than 100 balls in a season (only once more than 90 with 91), he doesn't deserve it.  He always says "Marv taught Reg, Reg taught me, now I have to pay it back" -- fact of the matter is he isn't a Hall of Fame guy like the other two.  If we lose TY, we aren't much worse and if another team gets him, they are probably not that much better.  

On 2/12/2021 at 4:09 PM, Virtuoso80 said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-colts-jaguars-titans-35/

There is a little bit more of those conversations in this link.

Yeah, it hasn't been a secret, Colts don't want to overpay Hilton, have told him there is a number they would like him back at, Hilton wants more, so they will let him evaluate the market and reassess. 

It's gonna suck if TY signs elsewhere. But if the Colts don't make a trade by the time free agency starts for a Quarterback, I can't see TY sticking around knowing Jacob Eason is the only QB under contract. Either way, Ballard's gonna need to swing for the fences and sign a top WR in free agency if TY walks.

6 hours ago, BillCoslosky87 said:

It's gonna suck if TY signs elsewhere. But if the Colts don't make a trade by the time free agency starts for a Quarterback, I can't see TY sticking around knowing Jacob Eason is the only QB under contract. Either way, Ballard's gonna need to swing for the fences and sign a top WR in free agency if TY walks.

It's pretty safe to say that TY has a pretty good idea that  there is going to be a qb other than Eason on the roster to throw him the ball. At least to start the season, I hope I'm wrong but I feel like he's going to be catching balls from a southpaw in mIami in 2021. I want him back  in Indy, but not as a number one. If he is signing somewhere else, I'm much more interested in Tony out of Florida in the draft or a bigger, younger free agent.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:14 PM, danlhart87 said:

What top FA WR do you see Colts signing?

On NFL Network, Michael Garafolo said expect the Bears, Steelers, Lions, and Bucs  to use the franchise tag on Chris Godwin, JuJu, Kenny Golladay, and Allen Robinson. Replacing TY with one of these guys isn’t going to be easy with the money they’re going to command. 

There are the second tier receivers: Will Fuller, Kendrick Bourne, Corey Davis, John Ross, Marvin Jones. Corey Davis is an interesting name. As well as Kendrick Bourne and John Ross. 

27 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

On NFL Network, Michael Garafolo said expect the Bears, Steelers, Lions, and Bucs  to use the franchise tag on Chris Godwin, JuJu, Kenny Golladay, and Allen Robinson. Replacing TY with one of these guys isn’t going to be easy with the money they’re going to command. 

There are the second tier receivers: Will Fuller, Kendrick Bourne, Corey Davis, John Ross, Marvin Jones. Corey Davis is an interesting name. As well as Kendrick Bourne and John Ross. 

I’ve come to believe that I think it’s going to be very hard to sign a top FA wide receiver.  Those guys are going to want roughly 12-20 million per.   If we do sign a FA WR, I think Ballard is going to shop in the mid-price isle.  Perhaps 7-10 mill per.  

And, as of the moment, I’m not sure who that might be?   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve come to believe that I think it’s going to be very hard to sign a top FA wide receiver.  Those guys are going to want roughly 12-20 million per.   If we do sign a FA WR, I think Ballard is going to shop in the mid-price isle.  Perhaps 7-10 mill per.  

Nelson Agholor

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe.   Good thought.   There's the Reich connection.   Do you like Corey Davis from Tennessee?    I confess I’m intrigued. 

Intrigued with Davis or Agholor?

I wouldn't mind Davis either.  

On 1/27/2021 at 5:32 AM, bravo4460 said:

Mixed messages on him lately...

WR group already a weak spot....Without him. Worst group on the offense and possibly on the entire team besides maybe pass rush.

I’m sorry but I don’t get it; the receivers we have aren’t terrible. There’s a lot of potential with Pittman and a healthy Campbell, Pascal is pretty reliable and if they keep TY, they’ve got a good group.
  I’m not against drafting a receiver in later rounds, but LT, DE and CB are more pressing needs than WR. Even a TE to replace Burton would be nice. 
  Ballard has said, he’s going to build from the inside out.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Well here is the good news. The cap is likely going to go down to around $180M - $185M, so anyone in FA is likely going to feel a squeeze in market value. This is going to affect WR and CB markets most prominently since there is a relative glut of talent on the market at those positions this year. It's not really a great year for guys to want to try to set the market because no matter where they go, there's just less money available.

I would seriously consider talking to Marvin Jones. He's 31 but is still able to take the top off of a defense and he has already signaled that his priority in Free Agency is to land somewhere that he can contend for a ring, which is usually code for "I'll take a pay cut".
https://www.nfl.com/news/wr-marvin-jones-wants-to-chase-super-bowl-in-free-agency

His dream scenario would likely be reuniting with Stafford in LA to win and retire at "home", but the Rams don't have the cap space to hit up the dollar menu at Burger King this year. Also look at where he has played, Cincinnati and Detroit. His cap hit last year was just over $9M but over $1M of that was dead money due to a restructure.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m sorry but I don’t get it; the receivers we have aren’t terrible. There’s a lot of potential with Pittman and a healthy Campbell, Pascal is pretty reliable and if they keep TY, they’ve got a good group.
  I’m not against drafting a receiver in later rounds, but LT, DE and CB are more pressing needs than WR. Even a TE to replace Burton would be nice. 

No reason to be sorry, your opinion. 

Pittman obviously has room to improve and hopefully he does. Him and Pascal are both serviceable.

literally can’t rely on Campbell at all. We have been saying IF he is healthy for 2 years in a row. Shouldn’t even count him at this point. Sure he has potential but nothing If he doesn’t play.

T.Y. Has declined quite a bit, some can be QB play but isn’t what he was. If anything he is also serviceable.

So 3 “serviceable” WR... Colts needs to help Wentz out and get a playmaker that is a threat. Creates issues for the defense.

You are right though. This team has a lot of other issues to fill before we talk SB. I think if we re-sign Rhodes, The CB is fine if Tell decides to play.

My thoughts on TY....

• Back only a very team friendly deal
  • Would love him to retire a Colt
  • Production capability - Medium but declining
  • Leadership - high
  • Can't be seen as WR1 going forward. 
  • Doesn't really get speed separation anymore, but still gets route/cut separation. That really is only beneficial with a QB that anticipates and when they have good chemistry. 
  • Shouldn't be Z1, so should either be Z2, Slot1, or simply a floater between the Z and slot within the WR rotation. 
  • With the overall cap shrinkage, several teams in a cap bind, better WR FAs available, and a good WR draft class, doubt he gets a lot of strong offers.

IMO, he'd be better off taking less and coming back to Indy where he's familiar with scheme, players, and coaching. 

The point is, if (probably) we're not going to chase a top tier WR1 because of cap, the second tier WR group is not better or cheaper than TY.

I just dont see a John Ross/Corey Davis/Agholor doing significant better than TY.

For the same price, let's pay the man and see what comes from draft/patmon.

If he wants more than 7-9mm/year, than he's gone, but I dont think market will be there.

Look at what the Bills did with Diggs. They went out and got a bona fide number one receiver for their franchise QB.

That’s what the Colts need to do. Carson deserves that.

Pascal, Pittman, Campbell, but we need a number one receiver ala Robinson, Golladay, Godwin.

Love TY, but he isn’t a number one reciever any more. Could live with him being brought back IF we get a playmaker at TE like Ertz.

Wentz threw for over 4000 yards in 2019 with no wide receiver topping 500 yards. Colts don't need a big expensive number one, they need to re-sign TY or maybe Corey Davis and draft a field stretcher. I'd love to see Jonnu Smith brought in to replace Burton as well. Sure would like to see TY back if the number was right, totally understand why it may not happen though.

15 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

This is where my thoughts are as welll.  They’ve invested a lot of draft capital in wr.  I don’t get all the chatter about need here.  I think what we have assuming health and reasonable growth from experience we will be more than fine.   The other positions are serious needs.  

I would love to see Wentz have a target like Robinson or Godwin. I also think Pittman will be much better in year 2. We will see about TY, I hope TY is buying into Wentz and he wants to stay for a fair 2 yr deal to end his career here. TY still has game, he isn't TY of 2018 when Luck was here and he was good but he is still above average at worse. 

Archived