Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Way to risky.  They need to get this done asap.  If they don't get their 1st in the next week they should counter Ballard and ask for a low pick which he will most likely give up and get it done.  

I would prefer that  Ballard keep countering until Howie offers compensatory picks to us, including Howie's April pick at #6, and at least Howie's 2022 and 2023 1st round picks.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

A little something to the FA's considering Indy as a defense from the Maniac.       Thats leadership. Go 53!

So with the discussion about FA's not wanting to come here for what ever reasonThere will also be a lot that will not be offered 

Hmm... To who or whom may he be referring too specifically???

pulp fiction thinking GIF

30 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yep, it’s a game of chicken - at least, that’s how the Eagles see it and want the other teams to see it.

But here’s the problem:  that roster bonus day (March 19) is only meaningful for them.  The Colts (and Bears, assuming they’re really interested and still will be by then) will have the same options after that day that they have before it.

The Eagles realistically only have two options to unload Wentz and neither of them are trying very hard to outbid the other.  Both of them have other options.

If anybody’s panicking leading into March 19th, it’ll be the Eagles.

What if say Darnold gets traded while the colts are waiting. Or if Mariota gets traded soon. So they wait on Wentz and end up losing out on him then there really are no other options. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What if say Darnold gets traded while the colts are waiting. Or if Mariota gets traded soon. So they wait on Wentz and end up losing out on him then there really are no other options. 

I'm still banking on Gruden trading Carr to us so he can use our trade to help him go and get Watson.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hmm....Gronk, JB, Fournette joined Tom.

Gronk was retired.  Played for 9 million on the last year of his contract.   He wanted to play with Brady and only Brady.     Far from a marquee player looking for a big contract. 

Brown was the league pariah that no one wanted.   He signed a 1 year deal with the bucs for 1.5ish.  Far from a marquee player

Fournettes option was declined by the JAGS.   Signed a 1 year contract for 2.5 million.   Far from a marquee player 

Far from the super teams built in the NBA 

8 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Hmm... To who or whom may he be referring too specifically???

pulp fiction thinking GIF

Anyone and everyone 

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If it happens it happens. I’m really not worried 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Im hoping Ballard doesn’t give up two 2nd rounders for Wentz. I still think that’s too much considering we’re taking on his contract. Plus personally I’d rather get a Fields or Wilson in the draft by using that draft capital to move up. 

Here’s the thing you aren’t going to get a franchise level QB on the cheap.  If you don’t like Wentz that’s one thing but two seconds for a franchise level QB is a really good price.  

You aren’t getting Fields or Wilson in the draft for two seconds alone.  

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

source.gif

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Then they draft someone.  

If there is someone to draft.    

54 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yep, it’s a game of chicken - at least, that’s how the Eagles see it and want the other teams to see it.

But here’s the problem:  that roster bonus day (March 19) is only meaningful for them.  The Colts (and Bears, assuming they’re really interested and still will be by then) will have the same options after that day that they have before it.

The Eagles realistically only have two options to unload Wentz and neither of them are trying very hard to outbid the other.  Both of them have other options.

Hmmmmm....So what r the Colts option if they lose out on Wentz? Darnold? Do they just keep  going after every qb that maybe available? After awhile it kind of looks like the Colts r the desperate ones

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmmm....So what r the Colts option if they lose out on Wentz? Darnold? Do they just keep  going after every qb that maybe available? After awhile it kind of looks like the Colts r the desperate ones

I'm sure they have a lot of irons in the fire.   No desperation with the roster the Colts have

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

source.gif

If there is someone to draft.    

They may have to go up and get someone but every team that lands a QB in the off-season is one less team that will draft a QB increasing the Colts odds to get one.  

It won’t be popular but the break glass in case of emergency option would probably be to re-sign Jacoby.

58 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Bears. Pace and Nagy better win or they will be out of a job. They are desperate. They have no qb besides Foles who sucks.

Colts. Eason is a 4th round pick  with absolutely no preseason or game experience.  Ballard on record saying that he doesnt know if Eason can even back up. Brissett is a career back up. They lost out on Stafford. They r sitting at 21 with to many teams ahead of them. However, they maybe high on someone later in the draft. Colts r kind of desperate. All three teams r kind of desperate.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

They may have to go up and get someone but every team that lands a QB in the off-season is one less team that will draft a QB increasing the Colts odds to get one.  

It won’t be popular but the break glass in case of emergency option would probably be to re-sign Jacoby.

If that happens that means every plan they had fell through.   It is possible though.   

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

So if the Colts go into the season with Eason or rookie. How many games u think they will win with this roster Ballard has built?

I have no idea.    It would depend on how good the qb is.   I would say any qb playing here will have a better record in indy than they would in just about any other team looking for a qb

28 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Probably Matt Ryan first, then the draft....or they could even re-sign Brissett.

Don’t get me wrong.  It’s possible the Colts could end up getting desperate too.  But not as soon as the Eagles will.  I guess there are worse outcomes for them than having to pay a $10M roster bonus to a guy who asked to go, and they agreed to put, on the block.  But I’m sure they’d love to avoid that if at all possible.

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bears. Pace and Nagy better win or they will be out of a job. They are desperate. They have no qb besides Foles who sucks.

Colts. Eason is a 4th round pick  with absolutely no preseason or game experience.  Ballard on record saying that he doesnt know if Eason can even back up. Brissett is a career back up. They lost out on Stafford. They r sitting at 21 with to many teams ahead of them. However, they maybe high on someone later in the draft. Colts r kind of desperate. All three teams r kind of desperate.

Never know. QBs have one of the highest bust rates coming out of any draft. There are options out there, probably some you’ve not even thought of. I’m not worried, Ballard will find us a QB, even if that’s a place holder for longer term plan. 

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So if the Colts go into the season with Eason or rookie. How many games u think they will win with this roster Ballard has built?

19-0

NFL QB Power rankings
https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-ranking-the-59-starting-quarterbacks-of-the-2020-nfl-season

Rank 12 Derek Carr Las Vegas Raiders · Year 7

Rank 14 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons · Year 13

Rank 21 Ryan Fitzpatrick Miami Dolphins · Year 16

Rank 25 Andy Dalton Dallas Cowboys · Year 10

Rank 31 Mitchell Trubisky Chicago Bears · Year 4

Rank 35 Carson Wentz Philadelphia Eagles · Year 5

Rank 36 Sam Darnold New York Jets · Year 3

1 minute ago, TheNextGM said:

Eason won’t be the week 1 starter. It’s not even an option CB is considering. They wouldn’t win 4 games with him. 

Don’t be so sure. If Ballard strikes out he may be forced to bring in a journeyman or another young QB and have them compete. There is no guarantee Ballard is going to get a good vet. 

5 hours ago, w87r said:

I think everyone has "made their point" on Wentz and probably just about every QB option at this point.

Until the situation is resolved, I imagine you're(everyone) going to keep hearing it(not just my perspective).

What other topics would you like to discuss?

Start a thread I will visit it.

Look....   I've come at you hard in the last few days....    I don't like it.   Not one bit.

But I feel almost some sense of responsibility to do do.  

I've called you one of the most important posters on the website.   A thought leader here.   I think I've done it multiple times.  And I still believe that.

So, if I'm going to do that,  then I hold you to a higher standard than I hold others.   I've done that with Superman, and while he's not fond of it,  we still manage to have an on-going friendship here and off-line.  

NOTE:   I've written a much longer post,  but no longer feel it's appropriate for it to be public like this.   This feels between you and me.    So, I'm going to leave the top portion of the post here.    And I'm going to send the rest of this post to you privately.    Maybe that would be better for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Eason won’t be the week 1 starter. It’s not even an option CB is considering. They wouldn’t win 4 games with him. 

I have no clue how this QB situation is going to play out but what Ballard said about Eason then may not be a certain after training camp and a couple of pre season games. 

No one in this forum can be positive of anything at this point. 

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have no clue how this QB situation is going to play out but what Ballard said about Eason then may not be a certain after training camp and a couple of pre season games. 

No one in this forum can be positive of anything at this point. 

I am 100% certain that Ballard isn’t going into next season with a fourth round rookie that hasn’t taken a snap in the NFL as the starter. 
1 - Ballard is too good for that

2 - There are many options out there

3 - The roster is built to win now, not give a guy a season to see what you got

Just now, craigerb said:

Does GM decide starting line-up or coaches. Asking for a friend.

Right now, it’s CB that will decide who the QB is next season. Now if Wentz or whoever they add comes in and struggles then maybe Reich makes a change.. but as for week 1 that is totally on Ballard right now.

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they are forced to bring back Jacoby my guess is he would not be handed the keys. There would be a open competition with Eason.

If that's true,  the competition would likely be over in a week or two.

The coaches would see the decisions that each would make on the practice field and that would be that.

Each would be obvious in their own way.   

7 minutes ago, craigerb said:

Does GM decide starting line-up or coaches. Asking for a friend.

It depends on the franchise....   each is different.

But most GM's want at least some input in the decision.   That want the HC to at least sit down with them and consult on the issue.    The GM doesn't want to hear his HC talk about that in the post-game interview after a loss.   Cooler heads prevail on Monday and Tuesday when those difficult decisions are typically made.

38 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I am 100% certain that Ballard isn’t going into next season with a fourth round rookie that hasn’t taken a snap in the NFL as the starter. 
1 - Ballard is too good for that

2 - There are many options out there

3 - The roster is built to win now, not give a guy a season to see what you got

Ballard has just said this was not a win now team and were not super bowl ready. 

If there is one thing I have learned in my over 50 years of following the NFL, there are no 100% certainties. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard has just said this was not a win now team and were not super bowl ready. 

If there is one thing I have learned in my over 50 years of following the NFL, there are no 100% certainties. 

When did Ballard say that?   Did he do a new interview?    Can you provide a link to this?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When did Ballard say that?   Did he do a new interview?    Can you provide a link to this?

That is what he was talking about in the Dakich interview. 

Yes we have a very talented team but there is still going to have to have a QB and a couple of more pieces to even  be considered a super bowl contender. 

The power rankings have us middle of the pack and I can't disagree with that.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is what he was talking about in the Dakich interview. 

Yes we have a very talented team but there is still going to have to have a QB and a couple of more pieces to even  be considered a super bowl contender. 

The power rankings have us middle of the pack and I can't disagree with that.

I think you have misinterpreted Ballard’s remarks, or misunderstood them.    

Ballard was simply responding to the fan talk that our window of opportunity was closing.  He was saying it hasn’t even opened, or has just barely started to open...  “just started to crack”. 

The various power ranking that I’ve seen all have us 12-15 and state we are a good quarterback away from being Avery good playoff caliber playoff team. 

Ballard knows this better than anyone.  He did not say were several pieces away from being a Super Bowl contender.  He didn’t say that with Dakich or at his year ender with the media.

1 hour ago, craigerb said:

NFL QB Power rankings
https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-ranking-the-59-starting-quarterbacks-of-the-2020-nfl-season

Rank 12 Derek Carr Las Vegas Raiders · Year 7

Rank 14 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons · Year 13

Rank 21 Ryan Fitzpatrick Miami Dolphins · Year 16

Rank 25 Andy Dalton Dallas Cowboys · Year 10

Rank 31 Mitchell Trubisky Chicago Bears · Year 4

Rank 35 Carson Wentz Philadelphia Eagles · Year 5

Rank 36 Sam Darnold New York Jets · Year 3

If Brissett had made a start last year, I wonder where he would have ranked on their chart. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you have misinterpreted Ballard’s remarks, or misunderstood them.    

Ballard was simply responding to the fan talk that our window of opportunity was closing.  He was saying it hasn’t even opened, or has just barely started to open...  “just started to crack”. 

The various power ranking that I’ve seen all have us 12-15 and state we are a good quarterback away from being Avery good playoff caliber playoff team. 

Ballard knows this better than anyone.  He did not say were several pieces away from being a Super Bowl contender.  He didn’t say that with Dakich or at his year ender with the media.

Maybe it was you who misunderstood ? 

We all have different opinions on what we interpret on what we hear said. 

All we really heard was the normal GM/coach speak. Ballard is very good at saying a lot of words without really saying a lot. We both know that. 

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hmmmmm...... if not in win now mode then why trade 13th overall pick for a DT? 

Archived