Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

53 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh I see how it is, leave me outcrowd riot GIF

Lol. Did you know that you can follow topics? Those individuals that I tagged all put their settings to "follow" the topic. Since the thread was being closed, I tagged them so that they are aware that the thread was closed and this is the new thread. 

See the pic below? Do you see where it says "follow"? To the right of that is "10". That means 10 forum members were following it. One did so anonymously. I tagged the 9 that showed. (I don't know most of the people that I tagged. I know Richard and GaColtsfan. I have seen @cdgacoltsfan here. Otherwise, I don't think I know the others.) 

So, no, I did not leave you or anyone out. Lol. There was a purpose behind my doing that. 

20210214_171307.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If eagles got 21 and 6 they would have no issue replacing Dilliard. 

Keep in mind that Philly has the 2nd worst cap (neg 49M). Getting rid of Dillard hurts and creates another hole. They need to off load vets and getting rid of Wentz, while it helps, is only part of the fix. They need to deal guys like Ertz and some other high priced vets (all of which will create more holes and require the use of more draft capital to fill). 

So in short, they're gong to have a lot of holes after getting to a cap positive space. The loss of Dillard not only doesn't help, it hurts. He's one of the few young guys on a rook deal that are helping their cap situation. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd much rather have Dillard than Ertz, but at the same time, Philly used a 1st on Dillard (and he was their projected starter at LT before injury) so I doubt they would part with him as a simple "add-on". He alone would be worth another 2nd at minimum IMO. Then they'd have to solve for LT all over again while still having to get a QB too. Not saying it can't work out, but what Philly would want for Wentz (who they over value already) plus Dillard likely doesn't help things if Ballard is already playing hardball. 

I agree unless CB is going to give up multiple high picks guys like Dillard and Mailata are off the table

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If your Ballard I would give up 21 If we could get Dilliard with Wentz. Don’t have to make a decision until next year on his fifth year. 

the 21st pick in addition to the two 2nds and possible 3rd/4th that were allegedly offered? and Colts get Wentz and Dillard? or all 3 guys?

thought Ertz was on the verge of getting cut/released anyway?

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember.....   there’s much, Much, MUCH more to being a quarterback than just a great arm.  

The Colts have had 5 great quarterbacks.  Manning, Luck, Harbaugh, Unitas and Jones.

Of them, only Jones would have a great arm.  The other four had arms that would be described as good to very good.   But not great. 

maybe Johnny U didn't have a great arm, but he had one darn fine haircut......

2 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

the 21st pick in addition to the two 2nds and possible 3rd/4th that were allegedly offered? and Colts get Wentz and Dillard? or all 3 guys?

thought Ertz was on the verge of getting cut/released anyway?

As @EastStreet mentioned they are so far over the cap they are going to have to trade, release, or restructure several of their vets

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I really want someone who forces defenses to cover the entire field. When you have a QB that can do that it opens everything up. I really don’t want someone that is limited.

I understand that.   But look at the success the other four Colts QBs I’ve listed.   They were all wildly successful.  Hugely successful.  

Put another way, If the most important quality for a QB to have was a great arm, then Jacob Eason would’ve been the first player drafted overall.  But he wasn’t even drafted in the 1st round...   or the 2nd, or the 3rd.   That shows you just how important all the other qualities are. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that.   But look at the success the other four Colts QBs I’ve listed.   They were all wildly successful.  Hugely successful.  

Put another way, If the most important quality for a QB to have was a great arm, then Jacob Eason would’ve been the first player drafted overall.  But he wasn’t even drafted in the 1st round...   or the 2nd, or the 3rd.   That shows you just how important all the other qualities are. 

I just have a really hard time seeing Ballard waste a third round pick on a QB with Eason already on the roster. 

24 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I agree unless CB is going to give up multiple high picks guys like Dillard and Mailata are off the table

Yeah. IMO, Dillard is likely worth more than Wentz lol... And I think they'd want at min our 1st and 2nd for a Wentz/Dillard combo, if not more. And I just don't see CB doing that.

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As @EastStreet mentioned they are so far over the cap they are going to have to trade, release, or restructure several of their vets

Yeah. Ertz is exactly the type of guy they should part with. Dillard is exactly the type of guy they should try to hold onto. Now if they can get a big trade with a ton of draft capital, that's a different thing. But I don't see Ballard being generous with draft capital.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just have a really hard time seeing Ballard waste a third round pick on a QB with Eason already on the roster. 

It simply depends on how he sees Eason. If he doesn't believe Eason will ever be a starter, it's not a waste. While he says publicly "he doesn't know what he has in Eason", I'm pretty certain he has an opinion.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think he will either.   He might, but I would think it’s unlikely.   Two super young inexperienced QBs on the same roster is not desirable.   Too much teaching, not enough doing.   Not for a team with playoff aspirations.   We want to be 11-5, not 5-11.

So I’m with you on that point. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It simply depends on how he sees Eason. If he doesn't believe Eason will ever be a starter, it's not a waste. While he says publicly "he doesn't know what he has in Eason", I'm pretty certain he has an opinion.

Good post.   Well said.   And I’d add that I think Ballard was trying to tamp down unreasonable expectations from fans who say “let’s play Eason and see what we have?”

I think you’re right.  Ballard knows what he has.  No need to spell it out.  Ballard is very skillful protecting his players and coaches. 

47 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Did you know that you can follow topics? Those individuals that I tagged all put their settings to "follow" the topic. Since the thread was being closed, I tagged them so that they are aware that the thread was closed and this is the new thread. 

See the pic below? Do you see where it says "follow"? To the right of that is "10". That means 10 forum members were following it. One did so anonymously. I tagged the 9 that showed. (I don't know most of the people that I tagged. I know Richard and GaColtsfan. I have seen @cdgacoltsfan here. Otherwise, I don't think I know the others.) 

So, no, I did not leave you or anyone out. Lol. There was a purpose behind my doing that. 

20210214_171307.jpg

I know. I was teasingfunny face tease GIF

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Who is this Fosh that everyone is talking about? Is he a Colts reporter?

He is just some twitter guy keeping us entertained for a couple weeks.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow....   good for Denver.  Seems they’ve been looking for a their next quarterback forever.   Maybe they’ve found him?

Who knows, I just thought her and Fosh were on opposite ends early.

She had Bears for Wentz

He had Colts

Now both saying Broncos?

Don't really believe any of them, bit for some reason I'm just hoping allbright is wrong, because he has fell into Fosh baiting and giving him clout by continually going after him

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No he is a Philly area guy that has a very dubious tweet history

Check out the other thread

I saw it. I wondered if he was credible. 

I went to Mile High Report, the Broncos SB Nation site. There are no articles about Wentz. They have a couple of articles about Watson.

Just now, w87r said:

She had Bears for Wentz

He had Colts

Now both saying Broncos?

Don't really believe any of them, bit for some reason I'm just hoping allbright is wrong, because he has feel into Fosh baiting and giving him clout by continually going after him

Dude... click the link. It even says in “her” Twitter page that it’s a parady account...

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow....   good for Denver.  Seems they’ve been looking for a their next quarterback forever.   Maybe they’ve found him?

Forever?  It wasn’t that many years ago that Peyton hoisted the Lombardi.

You want a few teams that have actually been hunting for QBs forever?  Washington, Jets, and Dolphins.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

She had Bears for Wentz

He had Colts

Now both saying Broncos?

Don't really believe any of them, bit for some reason I'm just hoping allbright is wrong, because he has feel into Fosh baiting and giving him clout by continually going after him

Yeah...    as soon as I made my reaction post I saw posters calling out the tweet as a fraud.  

It’s a strange world we live in?!? 

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

Forever?  It wasn’t that many years ago that Peyton hoisted the Lombardi.

You want a few teams that have actually been hunting for QBs forever?  Washington, Jets, and Dolphins.

Well...  Peyton was 5 years ago.   And it seems as if Denver has tried more QBs trying to fill that void than most teams.  

I’d list them all, but don’t want to crash the Internet!      :thmup:

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think he actually changed his handle to an antiAllbright one after BA called his bluff

I think his handle is now allbright fan? If I remember correctly?

Wouldn't say that is antiallbright. Definitely trolling him though.

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What Eagle players do you see on the cutting block

Eagles are in a tough spot. with some heavy dead cap contracts. Their top 3 paid guys wouldn't save them much this year (and that includes Wentz). Trading a guy like Lane Johnson saves them 11ish M, but still cost almost 30M dead cap. Slay would save them 6, but still cost them 9. Hargrave saves them 5, cost them 9. Cooks would save them 1.5, cost them 13. Ertz saves them almost 5, cost them almost 8. Jackson saves them almost 5, cost them 6. Branett saves them 10, costs them nothing. 

Those are their top 10 paid guys. The rest get paid 5M or less. Barnett is the best guy to part with in terms of pure savings. He's young too, and only has one year left (so won't demand a ton of capital unless there's a sign and trade).

In short, they're upside down on a lot of contracts, so it won't be easy. No easy big fixes. Barnett is a start would be the biggest saver, but you're looking at multiple guys traded or cut in the 5M and lower range. Dillard for instance saves them zero... 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Eagles are in a tough spot. with some heavy dead cap contracts. Their top 3 paid guys wouldn't save them much this year (and that includes Wentz). Trading a guy like Lane Johnson saves them 11ish M, but still cost almost 30M dead cap. Slay would save them 6, but still cost them 9. Hargrave saves them 5, cost them 9. Cooks would save them 1.5, cost them 13. Ertz saves them almost 5, cost them almost 8. Jackson saves them almost 5, cost them 6. Branett saves them 10, costs them nothing. 

Those are their top 10 paid guys. The rest get paid 5M or less. Barnett is the best guy to part with in terms of pure savings. He's young too, and only has one year left (so won't demand a ton of capital unless there's a sign and trade).

In short, they're upside down on a lot of contracts, so it won't be easy. No easy big fixes. Barnett is a start would be the biggest saver, but you're looking at multiple guys traded or cut in the 5M and lower range. Dillard for instance saves them zero... 

that is what I saw when I looked at their roster

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post.   Well said.   And I’d add that I think Ballard was trying to tamp down unreasonable expectations from fans who say “let’s play Eason and see what we have?”

I think you’re right.  Ballard knows what he has.  No need to spell it out.  Ballard is very skillful protecting his players and coaches. 

I'm just not sure if he's trying to temper expectations, or just not say anything (to not impact potential trade stock).

Just seems to me he's keeping his hand close to the vest. If he did think Eason was the future though, I would think we'd hear more. But again, 2020 was a tough year to develop any QBs that weren't starting. 

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

that is what I saw when I looked at their roster

Another reason why I don't envy Sirianni, or actually think the hiring of Sirianni was good (especially since Wentz still wants to bolt).

They should have kept Pederson for another year while they turned over the roster. At least you would think Sirianni will get a long leash. But then again, he might just end up being the fall guy in a few years after they purge the roster a bit.

Archived