Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)


EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

  1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

    • Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

  3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

    • Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Falcons can still draft and keep Ryan. That actually would be the smart thing to do.  

 

The one to watch is the jets. If they do keep Darnold then that is someone that could be looking to trade down. But then you have the panthers or SF who have better trade spots.

Oh it would be tough to trade way up but we could if Ballard wanted too. It may take a couple of 1st round picks and more but anything is possible. Listing it is as a possibility isn't far fetched as @PrincetonTiger made it out to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, Rapport is on ESPN right now, talking about it. I just flipped over to it so I missed the first part, but the way he’s talking is that the eagles are still taking offers and don’t sound like this saga is ready to end yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

 

The Bears could also be a player if they don’t get Wentz

especially w/ the GM's job on the line---doubt if he's very worried at this point about burning up 2021 and 2022 draft picks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, csmopar said:

For what it’s worth, Rapport is on ESPN right now, talking about it. I just flipped over to it so I missed the first part, but the way he’s talking is that the eagles are still taking offers and don’t sound like this saga is ready to end yet

Rappaport is on ESPN?

 

Did you mean Adam Shefter?   Rap is on the NFL Network. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

For what it’s worth, Rapport is on ESPN right now, talking about it. I just flipped over to it so I missed the first part, but the way he’s talking is that the eagles are still taking offers and don’t sound like this saga is ready to end yet

HR has to try to at least get a #1 for Wentz, if only to hold off the school of swarming piranha that is the Philly sports media.

 

But that doesn't prevent any other GM from looking at Wentz's 2020 tape and saying "a 1st? we pass"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There is no way the Colts will be able to trade up to any of them so stop

I would say the Colts are less "willing", than "able". They could trade up if they were willing to part with current + future capital or players. I don't see Ballard being willing to do something like that though. 

 

There are just so many possibilities of things that could unfold before draft day. For instance, the Jet's trade Darnold to a team for picks and/or another QB. They then could trade their 2nd pick for capital to build a team around their new QB. Just my opinion, but we could see a lot of dominos fall when it comes to QB this year. We're already off to a good start, and still have a ton of open questions. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

HR has to try to at least get a #1 for Wentz, if only to hold off the school of swarming piranha that is the Philly sports media.

 

But that doesn't prevent any other GM from looking at Wentz's 2020 tape and saying "a 1st? we pass"

Most of the QB teams have other options on their roster and/or the draft positions(draft Capital) to get someone they want

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

List of QB's that are rumored to be available in a trade of Free agency, I will give my opinions on whether or not it is a yes or no for me: Whether we can get any these guys is irrelevant like the Watson's or Carr's for example. This is just a list what is out there:

 

1. Wentz - no for me

2. Darnold - no for me

3. Trubisky - no for me

4. Foles -no for me

5. Dalton - no for me

6. Minshew - no for me

7. Mariota - no for me

8. Fitzpatrick - maybe for me = bridge for Eason 

9. Start Eason and say screw it - maybe for me

10. Carr - yes for me

11. Watson - yes for me

12. Ryan - yes for me

13. If Mac Jones is available at #21 - maybe for me

14. Trade our #1 and #3 pick this year to move up several spots to select someone in this years draft like maybe a Wilson or Lance - yes for me. Lawrence and Fields will go in the top 5 IMO but Wilson and Lance won't IMO.

 

A trade of this years 1 & 3 only, without anything else, doesn’t get you up high enough to select one of the QBs you want.   Not close.

 

UNLESS....

 

Something happens like last year where Jordan Love fell all the way to 26? Where Green Bay traded up to take him.   People here were convinced he was going much, much higher.  No one saw him falling that far. So if that happened, AND Ballard loved the guy, THEN we’d have a shot to trade up with a 1&3.    Otherwise.....  not likely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I would say the Colts are less "willing", than "able". They could trade up if they were willing to part with current + future capital or players. I don't see Ballard being willing to do something like that though. 

 

There are just so many possibilities of things that could unfold before draft day. For instance, the Jet's trade Darnold to a team for picks and/or another QB. They then could trade their 2nd pick for capital to build a team around their new QB. Just my opinion, but we could see a lot of dominos fall when it comes to QB this year. We're already off to a good start, and still have a ton of open questions. 

That is why I used the term attainable in my first post
 

 

 

 

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

 

The Bears could also be a player if they don’t get Wentz

I don’t worry to much about the bears because their first round pick is only one spot ahead of ours. Wouldn’t be hard to our bid then. It’s reams like PATS, Panthers, SF that would worry me the most if we were trying to trade up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

A trade of this years 1 & 3 only, without anything else, doesn’t get you up high enough to select one of the QBs you want.   Not close.

 

UNLESS....

 

Something happens like last year where Jordan Love fell all the way to 26? Where Green Bay traded up to take him.   People here were convinced he was going much, much higher.  No one saw him falling that far. So if that happened, AND Ballard loved the guy, THEN we’d have a shot to trade up with a 1&3.    Otherwise.....  not likely. 

If someone falls like Love or Rodgers the Colts don’t need to trade up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

A trade of this years 1 & 3 only, without anything else, doesn’t get you up high enough to select one of the QBs you want.   Not close.

 

UNLESS....

 

Something happens like last year where Jordan Love fell all the way to 26? Where Green Bay traded up to take him.   People here were convinced he was going much, much higher.  No one saw him falling that far. So if that happened, AND Ballard loved the guy, THEN we’d have a shot to trade up with a 1&3.    Otherwise.....  not likely. 

Yeah it may take more I agree, maybe 2 1st's and more. I was just throwing some stuff out. I am not sure where Wilson or Lance will go? Most have Lawrence at #1 and Fields being the next guy taken.  I doubt Ballard trades up but just threw it out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Falcons can still draft and keep Ryan. That actually would be the smart thing to do.  

 

The one to watch is the jets. If they do keep Darnold then that is someone that could be looking to trade down. But then you have the panthers or SF who have better trade spots.

It would be really hard for the Falcons to move from Ryan this year. 40+M dead cap hit makes it very painful, and they need cap relief (negative 30+M) so that doesn't help them. Unless the owner is willing to just write off the year...

 

And they already have a great draft pick so that complicates things. It's hard to not take a QB, but that would send a very bad message message to Ryan. His dead cap goes down to 25ishM next year, and drops to under 10 in his last contract year.

 

Personally, I'd take a QB this year, and trade him next year if the offer is right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t worry to much about the bears because their first round pick is only one spot ahead of ours. Wouldn’t be hard to our bid then. It’s reams like PATS, Panthers, SF that would worry me the most if we were trying to trade up.

As @poilucelt said they might be willing to offer more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EastStreet said:

It would be really hard for the Falcons to move from Ryan this year. 40+M dead cap hit makes it very painful, and they need cap relief (negative 30+M) so that doesn't help them. Unless the owner is willing to just write off the year...

 

And they already have a great draft pick so that complicates things. It's hard to not take a QB, but that would send a very bad message message to Ryan. His dead cap goes down to 25ishM next year, and drops to under 10 in his last contract year.

 

Personally, I'd take a QB this year, and trade him next year if the offer is right.

That is what I would do

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

If someone falls like Love or Rodgers the Colts don’t need to trade up

There’s no way to know how far a player will fall when he’s in the process of falling.

 

If he’s falling beyond where you think he’d go, and you have a chance to go get the guy you like, then it’s probably best to make the trade. 
 

Love fell, and Green Bay still traded up to get him.  
 

You’re looking at this thru hindsight.   You don’t get that chance when it’s draft day and the clock is ticking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is why I used the term attainable in my first post
  

Able and attainable are similar. It's the willingness to me that is in question. 

 

I'm glad CB is playing hardball with Philly. I'd be OK with a 2nd for Wentz, or even a 2nd and a guy like Oke. I just don't want to roll the dice with trading 1st rounders unless it's on high ceiling rook in the draft.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it may take more I agree, maybe 2 1st's and more. I was just throwing some stuff out. I am not sure where Wilson or Lance will go? Most have Lawrence at #1 and Fields being the next guy taken.  I doubt Ballard trades up but just threw it out there.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Fields is 2nd on most mocks I’ve seen.  He’s third.   The name that I see most at second is Wilson.   Lance is 4th and Jones is 5th. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

List of QB's that are rumored to be available in a trade of Free agency, I will give my opinions on whether or not it is a yes or no for me: Whether we can get any these guys is irrelevant like the Watson's or Carr's for example. This is just a list what is out there:

 

1. Wentz - no for me

2. Darnold - no for me

3. Trubisky - no for me

4. Foles -no for me

5. Dalton - no for me

6. Minshew - no for me

7. Mariota - no for me

8. Fitzpatrick - maybe for me = bridge for Eason 

9. Start Eason and say screw it - maybe for me

10. Carr - yes for me

11. Watson - yes for me

12. Ryan - yes for me

13. If Mac Jones is available at #21 - maybe for me

14. Trade our #1 and #3 pick this year to move up several spots to select someone in this years draft like maybe a Wilson or Lance - yes for me. Lawrence and Fields will go in the top 5 IMO but Wilson and Lance won't IMO.

 

I think if Trask is there in the 3rd, you have to pull the trigger. 

 

2nd is too high for Trask.

 

I like Fitz and Winston too.

 

Can Frank fix Winston?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it may take more I agree, maybe 2 1st's and more. I was just throwing some stuff out. I am not sure where Wilson or Lance will go? Most have Lawrence at #1 and Fields being the next guy taken.  I doubt Ballard trades up but just threw it out there.

actually I've seen about as many "experts" lately picking Wilson 2nd to the Jets as picking Fields going 2nd--some are even predicting a (mild) slide for Fields a la Jordan Love FWIW

 

whichever, if Jets pick ANY quarterback at 2nd I'd assume Darnold then goes on the market at a comparatively cheap price (not that I'm a Darnold fan, and I'm not sure I see the wisdom of having both Darnold and Eason on the same roster)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s no way to know how far a player will fall when he’s in the process of falling.

 

If he’s falling beyond where you think he’d go, and you have a chance to go get the guy you like, then it’s probably best to make the trade. 
 

Love fell, and Green Bay still traded up to get him.  
 

You’re looking at this thru hindsight.   You don’t get that chance when it’s draft day and the clock is ticking. 

GB also didn’t any major needs like the Colts do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Able and attainable are similar. It's the willingness to me that is in question. 

 

I'm glad CB is playing hardball with Philly. I'd be OK with a 2nd for Wentz, or even a 2nd and a guy like Oke. I just don't want to roll the dice with trading 1st rounders unless it's on high ceiling rook in the draft.

batman agree GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As @poilucelt said they might be willing to offer more

They done have a fourth rd pick. I guess there are things they could offer like players.

 

The biggest thing is it will be impossible to get into the top 5 because teams don’t want to drop that far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I think if Trask is there in the 3rd, you have to pull the trigger. 

 

2nd is too high for Trask.

 

I like Fitz and Winston too.

 

Can Frank fix Winston?

We already have Eason who has a better arm then trask. That would just be a waste of a pick.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I think if Trask is there in the 3rd, you have to pull the trigger. 

 

2nd is too high for Trask.

 

I like Fitz and Winston too.

 

Can Frank fix Winston?

I may be an extreme outlier here, but 1) I'd sooner spend a 2nd rounder on Trask than I would a 1st rounder on Jones, and 2) I'd sooner spend a 3rd rounder on Mond or Mills than I would a 2nd rounder on Trask

 

not enthusiastic about any of them, in truth--in those cases I'd almost prefer to try to sign someone like Fitz or Trubisky to a 1 year contract and spend the 2021 season determining what I REALLY have in Eason, then proceed accordingly

 

unless maybe Jeerah and Stephen decide to blow the whole thing up down in Big D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We already have Eason who has a better arm then trask. That would just be a waste of a pick.

Trask has proven production (from the SEC with a mediocre OL and running game), so I wouldn't call it a waste (after the 1st) if they don't have high expectations of Eason. Trask is not one of my favorite options, but if I had to choose between Eason and Trask (all things equal), I'd probably go with Trask.

 

Arm cannon isn't always the most important thing. If it was, JB would be all pro.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We already have Eason who has a better arm then trask. That would just be a waste of a pick.

True. But Trask reminds me of a young Rivers or Ryan.

 

He's a precision timing passer who's very accurate.  He can throw receivers open and make over the shoulder throws and back shoulder throws.

 

Trask doesn't have the big arm but you may not need that in Frank's short passing offense.

 

He would be an interesting contrast to Eason.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

True. But Trask reminds me of a young Rivers or Ryan.

 

He's a precision timing passer who's very accurate.  He can throw receivers open and make over the shoulder throws and back shoulder throws.

 

Trask doesn't have the big arm but you may not need that in Frank's short passing offense.

 

He would be an interesting contrast to Eason.

He might be an interesting mid to late round QB option if the brain trust feels JE needs competition 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We already have Eason who has a better arm then trask. That would just be a waste of a pick.

Remember.....   there’s much, Much, MUCH more to being a quarterback than just a great arm.  
 

The Colts have had 5 great quarterbacks.  Manning, Luck, Harbaugh, Unitas and Jones.


Of them, only Jones would have a great arm.  The other four had arms that would be described as good to very good.   But not great. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If your Ballard I would give up 21 If we could get Dilliard with Wentz. Don’t have to make a decision until next year on his fifth year. 

 

 

I'd much rather have Dillard than Ertz, but at the same time, Philly used a 1st on Dillard (and he was their projected starter at LT before injury) so I doubt they would part with him as a simple "add-on". He alone would be worth another 2nd at minimum IMO. Then they'd have to solve for LT all over again while still having to get a QB too. Not saying it can't work out, but what Philly would want for Wentz (who they over value already) plus Dillard likely doesn't help things if Ballard is already playing hardball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember.....   there’s much, Much, MUCH more to being a quarterback than just a great arm.  
 

The Colts have had 5 great quarterbacks.  Manning, Luck, Harbaugh, Unitas and Jones.

Of them, only Jones would have a great arm.  The other four had arms that would be described as good to very good.   But not great. 
 

I really want someone who forces defenses to cover the entire field. When you have a QB that can do that it opens everything up. I really don’t want someone that is limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • lol... you are the king of clutter and gibberish.... you've wrote several books without any fact, data, or sound logic.  but thanks, at least I got some chuckles. love the "conceptual skewing" comment to explain you're blatant disregard for fact and reality....   
    • I think with a win we most likely move up one more spot to 8. Steelers or Bengals will still stay ahead. We would also need Chargers to lose to the Broncos. So if Chargers lose to Broncos and Colts win then I think we will move up to 7.  What could change this is if Titans go into NE and win. As much as we hate rooting for the Titans might be better for Colts to have Titans beat NE. The good thing is Bills and Patriots still play twice and we play the pats. So probably doesn’t matter much.
    • Exactly,  you don't need a bunch of shallow stats to figure out who your best players are and who they are not.  Thank you for making logical points without cluttering it up with gibberish.  However, categorizing it as Frank "icing your best player", as if he doesn't know who that is, is biased hyperbole, IMO.   JTs best talent is his break away speed.  Using him as a plow horse is not the best use of talent.  There would have to be more analysis to understand why TEN can limit JTs big runs.  If they can do that consistently, a game plan would steer away from relying upon JTs big runs as chunk plays as a opposed to what a game plan would be against a different D.....(BTW, with NFL rankings having nothing to do with it).  With Byard, TEN probably has a better back seven than most, or match up better against us (since they don't have to worry about any receiver other than Pitt).  Targeting  receivers at 8.5 yds per completion more than running JT is not a bad game plan if you think JT is only going to get 4 yards each carry.   The one ill-planned target to MAC on the screen pass aside, targets to Dulin and MAC failed in execution and not in game plan.  Therein lies the issue more than not running JT 8 more times against TENs matchups, IMO.  
    • Regarding the Bills game. I think the Bills defense is overrated because they've beaten up on a lot of bad teams making them look better than they are. The Bills defense is a lot like the Colts defense was last year - we beat up on bad teams early, making us look good, but were mediocre against contenders. That said, we also benefitted a great deal from the bad weather. The Bills missed on a lot of opportunities because their receivers couldn't hold on to the ball making our defense look better than it is.   The Bucs have pretty consistently shut down the run. The Saints beat them by sticking to the run and I think the only way for us to win is to do the same. Keep feeding JT and don't panic if we fall behind. Also, it would be fantastic is we could start off like we did against the Jags and the Bills - get a turnover early and get a TD from it.   I really want us to win against the Bucs, but I think this game will be the toughest the Colts will face all season and I'm not confident we can win it.   34-27 Bucs.
  • Members

    • 2006Coltsbestever

      2006Coltsbestever 25,058

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ThingofthePast

      ThingofthePast 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 15,287

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Btown_Colt

      Btown_Colt 561

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • erock

      erock 1

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • J@son

      J@son 1,176

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 127

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Gramz

      Gramz 2,266

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cjrulli

      cjrulli 210

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indyfan4life

      Indyfan4life 1,298

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...