Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers fate (Merge)

danlhart87

Signing Rivers was a success, but I'm not sure I want to run this thing through one more time.  Although not necessarily Rivers' fault, the final three games of this season were very frustrating.  It depends on what the options are, I suppose. 

It's all pretty confusing.  We should have beaten both the Steelers and the Bill's, the #2 & #3 seeds, so what do you do?  

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Good thing I don’t get my hopes up anymore. I’d be devastated right now. Colts should’ve won that game

It's the way we lost, I just felt like we gave it away. I thought we outplayed them. I hate the season is over. I feel bad for Phil because I thought he played well. I feel bad for our team. Great group of guys. Fun season.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's the way we lost, I just felt like we gave it away. I thought we outplayed them. I hate the season is over. I feel bad for Phil because I thought he played well. I feel bad for our team. Great group of guys. Fun season.

Phil played great! Frank handed them the win. That’s twice frank won the bills the playoff game

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

Phil played great! Frank handed them the win. That’s twice frank won the bills the playoff game

I think "great" is stretching it. The Hail mary pass displayed his noodle arm fully. 

Like others have said, it’s not all his fault, but he does have limitations. Without him the colts probably don’t sniff the playoffs. All that being said, he isn’t getting any better. Time to make a plan with a younger QB and hope he is good enough that the team can help him get his experience. The Colts overall roster is very solid...I’d take 3-5 years of this roster with Stafford as QB. Other than that, I say you work Eason or a draft pick in and take the lumps. Finding a franchise QB is priority #1.

Just now, JediXMan said:

Who would you want next year personally Dak would be a great fit.

I like Stafford, Eason, (not sold on wentz completely, but not entirely opposed)

Alex Smith could be an option (far fetched)

But in my dream world? We sign Stafford to a 2 year deal and let Eason sit behind him and act as backup. 

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Probably gives us the best chance to win next season, still wouldn’t be enough though.

I agree. I wouldn't mind having him back, as long as this doesn't prevent us from going and drafting our QB of the future. He can be our QB and help us be competitive until the new guy is ready to take over. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I agree. I wouldn't mind having him back, as long as this doesn't prevent us from going and drafting our QB of the future. He can be our QB and help us be competitive until the new guy is ready to take over. 

You wouldn't mind resigning a 37-38 year old QB that can't throw a 40 yard hail mary? I'm convinced the only reason they didnt bring Brisett in was to not embarass Rivers in his last game. 

8 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Like others have said, it’s not all his fault, but he does have limitations. Without him the colts probably don’t sniff the playoffs. All that being said, he isn’t getting any better. Time to make a plan with a younger QB and hope he is good enough that the team can help him get his experience. The Colts overall roster is very solid...I’d take 3-5 years of this roster with Stafford as QB. Other than that, I say you work Eason or a draft pick in and take the lumps. Finding a franchise QB is priority #1.

I agree, yes we could bring back Frank and Rivers and go 9-7 or 10-6 with a one and done. Or start a change for the future now.

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

You wouldn't mind resigning a 37-38 year old QB that can't throw a 40 yard hail mary? I'm convinced the only reason they didnt bring Brisett in was to not embarass Rivers in his last game. 

Brisett should've been in for the hail mary imo.

I'd mind a near 40 year old being the starter next year.

If it means we draft a guy with potential, but take a step back, so be it.

Well, here we are. Time to make that decision. 

But it’s all based on the long term plans. 

If they see Eason as someone they are grooming to give a legitimate shot to as a starter (and I want to go on the record now and say that I don’t think they do. I think they want him to be a Jim Sorgi like career backup) then yeah, bring him back because they can slide Eason in at times like they did Brissett this year, and he can legitimately start competing for the job. 

But if they view Eason as I do, they need to find the Manning to that Sorgi and nail down the biggest piece to the offense. Another year of Phil as a stopgap isn’t the end of the world, but you don’t want to wind up wasting too many years with guys like Leopard, Nelson, and Buckner waiting to fix it. 

So what could that solution be? Darnold? Wentz? A run at Dak? A draft trade? There’s just so many possibilities that we have to go through. 

And hey, my hat’s off to him because Phil beat Father Time in this year’s marathon. But that just makes it more likely he won’t next year. Age is going to catch up to him at some point, so can we bring him back next year and legitimately expect him to be able to sustain that or even get better? And can we handle that based on the answer of that?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them let his contract expire. Phil isn’t going somewhere else. He knows that next is it, and he’s not gonna go somewhere with new coaches and new guys and new systems for one year. So they let his deal expire and they just see what happens between then and the draft and then after the draft if they don’t have the answer they call Phil and bring him back. 

At least that seems most pragmatic to me. 

Point blank, if you don't have either a gamechanger at QB or an a Top 5 defense and run game with a game manager QB, your team will not have a shot in the modern NFL. Rivers was a serviceable game manager who had his moments, but the next obvious upgrade the team needs is at the QB position if we want to go further than the first round of the playoffs.

Good thing is it seems that Ballard has hit most of his draft picks these last two years. The Colts have talent everywhere else and they will improve, but they need the next franchise QB.

Just now, tucky89 said:

Brisett should've been in for the hail mary imo.

I'd mind a near 40 year old being the starter next year.

If it means we draft a guy with potential, but take a step back, so be it.

That's what I'm saying, Brissett would've atleast gotten the ball to the end zone. But like I said, I think they knew this was 17's last game and didn't want to embarass the guy. 

Rivers goes top 10 in yards and completion percentage with probably one of the weakest WR groups in the league and you all want him gone? Yikes

Pittman will develop into a solid #2, but sadly TY went downhill fast this season. The other receivers are really subpar. 

the game today there were 5-6 drops that hit receivers on the hands. Yet somehow it’s his fault they didn’t catch it.

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

No, I wouldn't mind it, considering what most of the alternatives are. I think he's giving us a chance to be competitive and he can still execute our offense better than most QBs in the league. He's the best/cheapest option that gives us best chance to win right now if we are going to be drafting a QB. 

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers no Turnovers, 309 Yards, 2 TD's. We gave this game away. I haven't been this disappointed since losing the SB in 2009. We had them beat, I am sick right now.

That 2009 SB crushed me. Everyone says the turning point was the onside kick (Hank Baskett I hate you btw). But to me it was when we were up 10-3. Manning throws a 3rd down laser to Garson that is dropped. He catches that and he's on his way to the end zone. 17-3 Colts. I had a sinking feeling after that play.

This one doesn't hurt as bad as the SB or the Jets game. But it's close. The Buffalo Bills did not beat the Colts today. Nor are they that much better than us. The Colts beat the Colts. And that's the sickening part.

I don't think, that PR was the factor that brought us to the playoffs. He played well, but was not an deciding x-factor. Our playoff appearance was a result of our balanced, well rounded team.

I think we would have been in the playoffs with 25 other starting qbs of the nfl. 

He should retire, or at least we shouldn't bring him back, because with him we are not able to win it all. Not that he is a bad qb. But simply not good enough any more. 

15 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I like Stafford, Eason, (not sold on wentz completely, but not entirely opposed)

Alex Smith could be an option (far fetched)

But in my dream world? We sign Stafford to a 2 year deal and let Eason sit behind him and act as backup. 

Stafford isn't a fa

2 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

I don't think, that PR was the factor that brought us to the playoffs. He played well, but was not an deciding x-factor. Our playoff appearance was a result of our balanced, well rounded team.

I think we would have been in the playoffs with 25 other starting qbs of the nfl. 

He should retire, or at least we shouldn't bring him back, because with him we are not able to win it all. Not that he is a bad qb. But simply not good enough any more. 

Question is. Who is the alternative?

We were spoiled by great QB play for like 20 years.

Now we are seeing what it's like to be most other franchises without a QB.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Stafford isn't a fa

He's been talked about a lot as a trade option. A lot of Lions insiders and reporters are suggesting the Lions move on from him. Kinda similar to the Matt Ryan situation. 

Definitely had a good season for us, but it's tough because he's going to be a little older, a little slower (scary to think) and he does limit any threat of running.

If he was 5 years younger we'd be in great shape. Because warts aside, he's a capable nfl starter.

1 minute ago, ColtsGermany said:

Top 10 QB didn’t impact the team making playoffs? You could put 25 other starting QBs on this team and the colts DO NOT make the playoffs. Please go look at every other top 10 QB and look at their WR/TEs. The colts have one of the weakest WR/TE groups in the NFL.

Archived