Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers fate (Merge)

danlhart87

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I could also see him starting for WAS, CAR, NE, NO, (could backup TB12 in tampa as well) I mean the dude is gonna get his shot. I'm sure of it. 

What did you see about Jacoby's play last year that makes you so confident that he is a starting QB? Is he any different than Matt Moore, Chase Daniels, Tyrod Taylor, etc. Rivers played so much better, yet you are so critical of him but praise Jacoby. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

What did you see about Jacoby's play last year that makes you so confident that he is a starting QB? Is he any different than Matt Moore, Chase Daniels, Tyrod Taylor, etc. Rivers played so much better, yet you are so critical of him but praise Jacoby. 

Yes I think his professionalism, his throwing power, his average mobility, and his toughness make him a starter. He was 5-2 with a win over KC before he got injured bad on his knee. After that injury he didn't throw the same the entire year. And then we insert Rivers and we don't get to see Brissett.

Without 7 alot of our drives would've stalled out. Rivers can't throw deep and can't sneak the ball. If that's good enough for a starting gig, I'm sure Brissett will play somewhere. 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Who 

Rivers

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

Yes I think his professionalism, his throwing power, his average mobility, and his toughness make him a starter. He was 5-2 with a win over KC before he got injured bad on his knee. After that injury he didn't throw the same the entire year. And then we insert Rivers and we don't get to see Brissett.

Without 7 alot of our drives would've stalled out. Rivers can't throw deep and can't sneak the ball. If that's good enough for a starting gig, I'm sure Brissett will play somewhere. 

Rivers

He seemed emotional

I'm thinking he retires now 

55 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the problem is i dont know if rivers would look better with a better group at wr.  Put a true number 1 in the offense i think rivers looks better .  I really wanna see if eason has got what it takes but rivers is coming back .  Eason will move up to second string and colts will have a better look at him taking all the snaps going against the defense all year like jacoby was doing . plus we can see him playing preseason next year.

Rivers does not have the RMP/spin to utilize a true #1 WR so imo with Rivers as QB you are severely limiting your offense.

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think "great" is stretching it. The Hail mary pass displayed his noodle arm fully. 

Then that’s on the coaching staff to know his maximum throwing distance. They should have brought in Brissett to throw the final Hail Mary pass.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Mac Jones

how would he know that 

It also goes against what Rivers himself said. He said it was Indy next year or retirement. Which is exactly why JB wasn’t brought in to throw the Hail Mary. You let the gunslinger take one last shot, especially since it was a low percentage shot anyway even if JB threw it

It's weird how the young, mobile, and talented Josh Allen led his team to the same number of TDs as Rivers today.

Only reason Allen won is that his kicker didn't miss and his coach didn't leave points on the board.  But some of you on here act like Rivers was our downfall today.  Unbelievable.

I like Rivers and would not be upset if he came back as the starter next year, but I would not expect to end up deeper in the playoffs. I would also be for him coming back for a year as the #2... But doubt it would happen. 

Jacoby is a great guy, but I wish him well. 

Matt Stafford is an interesting option. Call me weird, but I'd look at Fitzpatrick (is Fitz available?) as a backup if Eason isn't ready. Fitz seems to do good things wherever he goes lately. 

Lastly - someone on here during the season said something that I think makes sense. Excuse my horrible paraphrasing... 

If you need two quarterbacks during the game, you don't have one. 

We do need an upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, Colts'n'PacersRock said:

I like Rivers and would not be upset if he came back as the starter next year, but I would not expect to end up deeper in the playoffs. I would also be for him coming back for a year as the #2... But doubt it would happen. 

Jacoby is a great guy, but I wish him well. 

Matt Stafford is an interesting option. Call me weird, but I'd look at Fitzpatrick (is Fitz available?) as a backup if Eason isn't ready. Fitz seems to do good things wherever he goes lately. 

Lastly - someone on here during the season said something that I think makes sense. Excuse my horrible paraphrasing... 

If you need two quarterbacks during the game, you don't have one. 

We do need an upgrade. 

Welcome to the forum 

7 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

Does anyone have any confidence in Rivers on the last drive of the game and the Colts need a fg or TD to win or even tie?

I don't.

And if that is the answer?

You need a new qb.

I did.  I'd bet all the players and coaches did too.

Your jaded opinion doesn't really mean anything.  Rivers did his job today.

Just now, DontEverGiveUp said:

Agreed. This 'you have to be perfect all the time' stuff is too much. Nobody here is perfect at their jobs ALL THE TIME.

Plenty of small mistakes were our downfall today.

3 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Why?  He has never done that throughout his career and I don't believe he has done it once this year for the Colts.

Today again.

Not sure why you say that.

Give me proof that he is a closer?  Because the stats don't back that up.

And he can't move and extend plays.

And he has no spin/RPM/velocity on his balls.

Those are 3 things that make a top qb.  Rivers has none.

Would we?  Luck was terrible in the playoffs.  Probably would have thrown 3 picks today.

Now that I agree with.  Luck was nothing special in the playoffs other than the KC comeback game.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

WR isn't even a top 5 need on team 

You are right, it’s top 2 need. TY doesn’t look like the number 1 he has always been. His play this season is about on par with a solid #2. Pittman played well in spurts but didn’t show enough to be considered a #1. WR usually takes 2-3 years though so he might be able to jump up next year. Every team above the colts minus the ravens have a clear #1 WR and for most another top WR or TE.

3 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

Why?  He has never done that throughout his career and I don't believe he has done it once this year for the Colts.

Today again.

Not sure why you say that.

Give me proof that he is a closer?  Because the stats don't back that up.

And he can't move and extend plays.

And he has no spin/RPM/velocity on his balls.

Those are 3 things that make a top qb.  Rivers has none.

Now that I agree with.  Luck was nothing special in the playoffs other than the KC comeback game.

I posted this before, and they even mentioned it during the broadcast today:

Rivers is 6th all time in game winning drives and 10th in 4th quarter comebacks.  That is the proof.

Heck, he did it 3 weeks ago in the Houston game.

3 minutes ago, Krushinator said:

You are right, it’s top 2 need. TY doesn’t look like the number 1 he has always been. His play this season is about on par with a solid #2. Pittman played well in spurts but didn’t show enough to be considered a #1. WR usually takes 2-3 years though so he might be able to jump up next year. Every team above the colts minus the ravens have a clear #1 WR and for most another top WR or TE.

Pittman reminds me a lot Keenan Allen.  Not super fast but reliable and if he learns like Allen, could be really good.

Phil put up enough points and gave us time of possession just like we needed. His team mates let him down with untimely drops, jumping offsides at a very crucial situation in the game, a missed field goal, and a coach who made head scratching aggressive calls when we maybe didnt need them.

I posted this before, and they even mentioned it during the broadcast today:

Rivers is 6th all time in game winning drives and 10th in 4th quarter comebacks.  That is the proof.

Heck, he did it 3 weeks ago in the Houston game.

All I can tell you is in SD and throughout his games as a Colt, Rivers has never been known as a closer.

In fact in SD they called him a giant choker.

Look, I like Rivers.  I do.  But there is not shot in hell that he is going to win a SB for you.

So if that is the case?  What are we doing while we have a lot of good players on the team?

We are wasting those years.

We need:

Stafford

Eason

Draft a qb

Wentz

In that order.

1 minute ago, StatesmanN said:

All I can tell you is in SD and throughout his games as a Colt, Rivers has never been known as a closer.

In fact in SD they called him a giant choker.

Look, I like Rivers.  I do.  But there is not shot in hell that he is going to win a SB for you.

So if that is the case?  What are we doing while we have a lot of good players on the team?

We are wasting those years.

We need:

Stafford

Eason

Draft a qb

Wentz

In that order.

What Superbowl has Stafford won? Hell im not even sure if hes won a playoff game yet. Maybe one. And Wentz is riding pine right now.  As if you cant draft another QB with Phil here.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

What Superbowl has Stafford won? Hell im not even sure if hes won a playoff game yet. Maybe one. And Wentz is riding pine right now.  As if you cant draft another QB with Phil here.

I am originally from MI.  For 40 years I had to grow up listening to how bad the Lions are.

Now live in S Cal.

If you think the Colts or Chargers are bad?

The Lions are the worst, most jinxed, losingest team in history.

Stafford on a team like the Colts would THRIVE.

14 minutes ago, Krushinator said:

Gotta disagree 

Colts should draft mid rounder and thats it 

I expect TY back 2 year

Just now, StatesmanN said:

I am originally from MI.  For 40 years I had to grow up listening to how bad the Lions are.

Now live in S Cal.

Any QB could rock behind this line

4 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

Now live in S Cal.

Yeah everybody says stuff like that looking from the outside. Stafford would do well here but that isnt going to just turn him into some kind of closer when he hasnt been. Plus he stays hurt.

9 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

Did you just see how a 42 year old Tom Brady threw a dart to Godwin from 20 yards?

RPM and spin?

Rivers can't do that.

Hate to say this but if the Colts had signed Brady they finish probably 13-3 and are Sb Favs.

Ballard blew it.

Bull. What about the other games this year when all the commentators speculated Brady was finished? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My hopes...

Rivers back in Indy (unless there is an obvious upgrade)

TY back, but in the slot.

2nd or 3rd round Z if they don't think Campbell can stay healthy

Stand pat at TE.

Resign Mack on a team friendly deal. Keep Wilkins too.

I think Wilkins needs to leave. We need an upgrade on him.

Archived