Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers fate (Merge)

danlhart87

I'm really hoping he retires.  He gave it his best shot this year and he did a great job.  But there is more downside to bringing him back than not and his arm strength in particular can only get weaker.  We can make the playoffs again and win it with the right veteran but not with a rookie.  McAfee appears to be hearing about Stafford coming over and he thinks that makes the most sense.  He is far from being a stopgap.  He could play another decade for us.  After this weekends games I'm thinking the Stafford becoming available noise might start to pick up.  He might actually leak it out himself that he thinks it's time for him to move on with a new coach and GM coming in.  

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm really hoping he retires.  He gave it his best shot this year and he did a great job.  But there is more downside to bringing him back than not and his arm strength in particular can only get weaker.  We can make the playoffs again and win it with the right veteran but not with a rookie.  McAfee appears to be hearing about Stafford coming over and he thinks that makes the most sense.  He is far from being a stopgap.  He could play another decade for us.  After this weekends games I'm thinking the Stafford becoming available noise might start to pick up.  He might actually leak it out himself that he thinks it's time for him to move on with a new coach and GM coming in.  

He will probably be 1st option if Phil retires 

the problem is i dont know if rivers would look better with a better group at wr.  Put a true number 1 in the offense i think rivers looks better .  I really wanna see if eason has got what it takes but rivers is coming back .  Eason will move up to second string and colts will have a better look at him taking all the snaps going against the defense all year like jacoby was doing . plus we can see him playing preseason next year.

Just now, coming on strong said:

the problem is i dont know if rivers would look better with a better group at wr.  Put a true number 1 in the offense i think rivers looks better .  I really wanna see if eason has got what it takes but rivers is coming back .  Eason will move up to second string and colts will have a better look at him taking all the snaps going against the defense all year like jacoby was doing . plus we can see him playing preseason next year.

WR isn't even a top 5 need on team 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I still think the best option is Mac Jones though 

we need a true number 1 wr hilton is not one anymore .  only pittman is looking like he has upside , even if cambell stays healthy colts still need another wr to replace hilton . rivers looks much better with a above average group with him.

2 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Honest question, I respect your opinion and you're one of my favorite posters, do think it matters for the franchise in any meaningful way if he returns?

I'll support the decision no matter what. It opens plenty of options if he retires. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I'll support the decision no matter what. It opens plenty of options if he retires. 

Right on.  I could go either way too.  I'd like to see Ballard take a chance on a young gun.  He needs to define his tenure.

3 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Honest question, I respect your opinion and you're one of my favorite posters, do think it matters for the franchise in any meaningful way if he returns?

Depends. 

Rivers> Class of 21 QB’s not named Trevor, Wentz, Brissett, and Eason. So it depends. But I would give a lot for Watson, but it ain’t happening.

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

Depends. 

Rivers> Class of 21 QB’s not named Trevor, Wentz, Brissett, and Eason. So it depends. But I would give a lot for Watson, but it ain’t happening.

Yea i dont think watson is an option. Bid like Stafford tho. He might be on the table......

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

Bradshaw has, and would.

i think jim irsay leaked it well see . they might believe in eason they watched him at training camp and he has 1st round talent he only fell because of rumors he has a poor work ethic and is lazy but ballard said they were lies and looked into it . watching how guys like herbert played i think eason can do it . kurt warner and many other people believe eason was better than herbert going into the draft .

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i think jim irsay leaked it well see . they might believe in eason they watched him at training camp and he has 1st round talent he only fell because of rumors he has a poor work ethic and is lazy but ballard said they were lies and looked into it . watching how guys like herbert played i think eason can do it . kurt warner and many other people believe eason was better than herbert going into the draft .

How would Jim know Phil is not done with NFL? It goes against everything Phil, who is not one to tell lies, has stated.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

That seems like a very risky gamble on a player who never took a snap this year.  Back up first and see where it goes. 

2 minutes ago, WalkerPercy said:

Your post are so negative and stupid I have to point this out.  You know very little about football.  His performance today was excellent because we had no turnovers and 2 TDs and led the offense to 475 yards.  Hated some of the plays down close but that’s the way it goes.  And yeah, had a couple of throws he wants back but led us back from 14 down which is very hard,  and had some guys make mistakes during and at the end that hurt.  You win and lose as a team and everybody plays a part in not playing well enough.  How anyone could look at the season and make all these overly dramatized narratives about arm strength and the like is beyond me and stupid.  He’s top 10 in yards per completion and throws a lot of long balls for completions.  Look it up.  There are not a lot of great QBs in the league right now and not a lot of QBs who MIGHT get more wins for the Colt’s semi-above average talent on offense.  I’m watching Russell Wilson and Goff for LA right now and they both are kind of sucking....which often happens with good QBs.  Phil had two bad games this year and a couple of average games.  The rest of the time he was real good and we won a lot of games.  It’s gonna be funny if he leaves for whatever reason and you see a drop off and probably miss the playoffs.........becuase you’re still gonna say.....man it was great to get rid of Rivers.  He sucked and has a noodle arm. Our new guy’s arm is a cannon and he can roll out as we lose 7-8 games. Your attitude just sux, but whatever.  

Ps.  He threw the Hail Mary (which has a success rate of literally less than 5%...so don’t act like it was play of the game) about 50-55 yards.  I probably would have let Brisette throw it, but I don’t think it really would have mattered.  The play of the game was not coming up with the Allen fumble which was kind of a reflection of the game.  

Iets keep it civil here and not call each other names 

4 minutes ago, WalkerPercy said:

Your post are so negative and stupid I have to point this out.  You know very little about football.  His performance today was excellent because we had no turnovers and 2 TDs and led the offense to 475 yards.  Hated some of the plays down close but that’s the way it goes.  And yeah, had a couple of throws he wants back but led us back from 14 down which is very hard,  and had some guys make mistakes during and at the end that hurt.  You win and lose as a team and everybody plays a part in not playing well enough.  How anyone could look at the season and make all these overly dramatized narratives about arm strength and the like is beyond me and stupid.  He’s top 10 in yards per completion and throws a lot of long balls for completions.  Look it up.  There are not a lot of great QBs in the league right now and not a lot of QBs who MIGHT get more wins for the Colt’s semi-above average talent on offense.  I’m watching Russell Wilson and Goff for LA right now and they both are kind of sucking....which often happens with good QBs.  Phil had two bad games this year and a couple of average games.  The rest of the time he was real good and we won a lot of games.  It’s gonna be funny if he leaves for whatever reason and you see a drop off and probably miss the playoffs.........becuase you’re still gonna say.....man it was great to get rid of Rivers.  He sucked and has a noodle arm. Our new guy’s arm is a cannon and he can roll out as we lose 7-8 games. Your attitude just sux, but whatever.  

Ps.  He threw the Hail Mary (which has a success rate of literally less than 5%...so don’t act like it was play of the game) about 50-55 yards.  I probably would have let Brisette throw it, but I don’t think it really would have mattered.  The play of the game was not coming up with the Allen fumble which was kind of a reflection of the game.  

Lol he threw it from the 50ish and it didn't make it to the end zone. Also don't call me stupid and negative just because I have an unpopular opinion. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Lol he threw it from the 50 and it didn't make it to the end zone, so that isn't possible bud. Also don't call me stupid and negative just because I have an unpopular opinion. 

I was surprised they didn’t put JB in. 

i was not surprised when Rivers couldn’t get it to the end zone. His arm strength was a problem at times today and has been all year. I thought he played well this season and was a major upgrade from last season. But Rivers isn’t getting us a championship. It’s time to move on. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Lol he threw it from the 50 and it didn't make it to the end zone, so that isn't possible bud. Also don't call me stupid and negative just because I have an unpopular opinion. 

You’re right.  You’re not stupid or I really don’t know that.  So apologies.  Like it matters but he really didn’t throw from the 50.   Look it up. Just watched it.....but who cares when you have a short guy like TY trying to catch it.  

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I was surprised they didn’t put JB in. 

i was not surprised when Rivers couldn’t get it to the end zone. His arm strength was a problem at times today and has been all year. I thought he played well this season and was a major upgrade from last season. But Rivers isn’t getting us a championship. It’s time to move on. 

Careful now, you might get attacked for stating the obvious. Try adding a compliment to balance things out please. 

1 minute ago, WalkerPercy said:

You’re right.  You’re not stupid or I really don’t know that.  So apologies.  Like it matters but he really didn’t throw from the 50.   Look it up. Just watched it.....but who cares when you have a short guy like TY trying to catch it.  

You're right, it was from our 45, he started at about the 50 and dropped back to the 45. Either way it goes, that is a perfect example of his weak arm. Also if he threw it far enough it wouldn't of been TY trying to catch it lol. That's my point. He didn't throw the ball as far as he was supposed to. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Careful now, you might get attacked for stating the obvious. Try adding a compliment to balance things out please. 

You're right, it was from our 45, he started at about the 50 and dropped back to the 45. Either way it goes, that is a perfect example of his weak arm. 

Singing off....so have at the negativity AK.  I still maintain you and your compadres know very little about football or “arm strength”.    

Just now, WalkerPercy said:

Singing off....so have at the negativity AK.  I still maintain you and your compadres know very little about football or “arm strength”.    

My friend, if the QB can't throw the ball to the end zone on a hail mary pass, I think it's quite obvious he lacks arm strength. It isn't a matter of knowing about football. A child could see that the ball didn't make it. I know you want Rivers to be the first QB to beat father time, but sorry to disappoint he won't be doing that. 

Not only could he not throw the ball far enough, the velocity on a lot of throws is questionable. 

I'm a bit late, but thought I'd finally chime in this season... lol. I would say yes to bringing Phil back for 1 more year, but at no more than 15 mil. 

While a good human being, let Jacoby walk, thus making Eason #2. Go get a bit more OL depth, along with 1-2 big WR targets via free agency or draft. 

Maybe promote Mo to the #1 TE spot, as Phil seemed to have a fairly good connection with him when Burton and Doyle were hurt at the beginning of the season.

As for TY,  Parris and Marlon, we shall see.

Archived