Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers fate (Merge)

danlhart87

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

3 of Tannehill’s last 4 playoff games have been hideous. 2 games last year under 100 yards passing. We’d have run Jacoby out of town for 2 performances like that regardless of if we won or not (they did).  Then barely over 200 yards in the AFC championship game last year (the one I’m counting as good) & back to under 200 yards this year.  Dude is looking quite pedestrian when it matters most.  If he can’t hit the big strike plays, it’s like he can’t hit anything. Still feels like they pull off miracles with timely big plays or opponent turnovers. Don’t know how long Vraebel can sustain that level of good fortune. 

Give Rivers D. Henry and we could make the SB. Tannehill has success because his running game in the best in the league. Tannehill wasn't impressive at all during last years playoff run. His stats were laughable. Henry actually a rare off game yesterday and looked what happened they lost as once again Tannehill wasn't impressive again. Some love the guy, I don't. I think Matt Stafford is better than Tannehill for example.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we all know QB's go thru phases in their careers if they are good enough to last.  In the beginning, they can carry the team and the passing game is built around them (Brady/Brews for example) but as they get near retirement age, they need a team with a good defense, and a solid running game.  They may be less mobile, or their arm may not be as live anymore.  Brady went for that.  Big Ben still looks great.  

So the Colts are a good match for Rivers in terms of the OL and running game.  The defense to me just looks average at times, not sure why.

So thats why I say a team like the Titans.  Solid running game and championship window.

Addendum:  I am NOT a fan of running QB's.  For example Lamar Jackson.  He won the game yesterday.  But when he gets shut down, or hurt(which eventually always happens) then the game or season is over.

Sure a little mobility is a good thing, but not critical to winning IMO

On 1/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, DontEverGiveUp said:

Colts should absolutely bring him back.

Frank Reich lost this game today.  A different QB isn't changing that.

Reich didn't overthrow Pittman in the end zone.  Reich didn't throw a pass to TY Hilton on 3 and 5 that was maybe a 20 yard downfield pass and leave it short. Reich didn't fail to catch 2 easy dump offs (Taylor).  Reich didn't miss a field goal.

All of this blame for Frank is a little over the top.  Was he perfect? No.  Was he the reason the team lost?  Not on his own and not by a long shot.

Reich could have called a perfect game the Colts still gave away too much on the field.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Give Rivers D. Henry and we could make the SB. Tannehill has success because his running game in the best in the league. Tannehill wasn't impressive at all during last years playoff run. His stats were laughable. Henry actually a rare off game yesterday and looked what happened they lost as once again Tannehill wasn't impressive again. Some love the guy, I don't. I think Matt Stafford is better than Tannehill for example.

You are implying that Rivers is better than Tannehill. Not a Tannehill lover...but come on. 

I think you are looking at that game too simplistically. Any QB is going to struggle when his run game gets 2.2 yards/carry and his OL gets bullied (which helped led to Henry getting shut down). And then throw in some poor playcalling...and you have a stagnant offense after the scripted plays. Tannehill is going to get the blame because he ultimately threw the ball to a diminutive WR who fell down...but Tannehill wasn't awful in this game...BAL's defense was just really good.

I am pretty sure we already had a debate about Tannehill though...so no need to rehash it. But I would rather have Tannehill + Taylor than Rivers + Henry.

23 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Reich didn't overthrow Pittman in the end zone.  Reich didn't throw a pass to TY Hilton on 3 and 5 that was maybe a 20 yard downfield pass and leave it short. Reich didn't fail to catch 2 easy dump offs (Taylor).  Reich didn't miss a field goal.

All of this blame for Frank is a little over the top.  Was he perfect? No.  Was he the reason the team lost?  Not on his own and not by a long shot.

Reich could have called a perfect game the Colts still gave away too much on the field.

Reich did go for it on 4th and 4 while he could have just went and took the points. We lost by 3.. reich did challenge a stupid fumble that anybody in the world could see the dudes knee was down by a mile n half. Reich did go for 2 when we would have only been down by 7 if we would just declined the penalty.. rivers wouldn’t have to overthrow pittman in the end zone of reich would have just kicked the field goal.. bad throws and dropped passes happen in games. This is all on frank

On 1/9/2021 at 5:19 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's the way we lost, I just felt like we gave it away. I thought we outplayed them. I hate the season is over. I feel bad for Phil because I thought he played well. I feel bad for our team. Great group of guys. Fun season.

Devastating loss.  I'm only now starting to feel better about it.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hard to argue with anything you said. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

You are implying that Rivers is better than Tannehill. Not a Tannehill lover...but come on. 

I think you are looking at that game too simplistically. Any QB is going to struggle when his run game gets 2.2 yards/carry and his OL gets bullied (which helped led to Henry getting shut down). And then throw in some poor playcalling...and you have a stagnant offense after the scripted plays. Tannehill is going to get the blame because he ultimately threw the ball to a diminutive WR who fell down...but Tannehill wasn't awful in this game...BAL's defense was just really good.

I am pretty sure we already had a debate about Tannehill though...so no need to rehash it. But I would rather have Tannehill + Taylor than Rivers + Henry.

We won't debate this but I wouldn't, give me Rivers and D.Henry all day.

On 1/10/2021 at 2:43 PM, Thebrashandthebold said:

Well, let's think about that. What did Luck ever win? Was he ever an MVP? Will he be a Hall of Fame QB? Does he have outlandish career numbers? Did he walk out on the team? Rivers played very well and stayed within what he can do now. I don't think you could have asked for much more. He showed up for every game even when injured. I do not see the infatuation with Luck. He is gone. Let him go. He walked out on us.

Reminds me of that old Journey song.

"I was thinking about the time you walked out on me"

Frank Reich says he wants Philip Rivers to be Indianapolis Colts' QB again in 2021 season

Jan 10, 2021

Mike WellsESPN Staff Writer

Facebook

Twitter

Facebook Messenger

Pinterest

Email

print

INDIANAPOLIS -- Frank Reich wants veteran Philip Rivers to be his starting quarterback in 2021, the Indianapolis Colts coach said Sunday.

"As I sit here right now, yes, I want Philip Rivers to be my starting quarterback next year," Reich said. "... I think Philip still has a lot of good football [left]."

The 39-year-old Rivers had a bounce-back season with the Colts in which he threw for 4,169 yards, 24 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He also had the third-best completion percentage for a season (68.0) in his career while leading the Colts back to the playoffs for just the second time since 2014.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

D. Henry would not make up for the coach giving away games. Give the Colts a different coach (a good high school coach wouldn't have made these mistakes) and they had at least a chance to get the AFC Championship game this year. The running game wasn't the problem. Frank was the problem.

I feel like Rivers can be the man for us, just like Manning did for the Broncos.  Just needs to be that game manager and make smart decisions, and not try to carry the team on his back- that's when he starts to make mistakes.  Regarding our play off loss, it was an all around team loss.  The better team won.  I expect to see Rivers back next year, unless he retires.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We won't debate this but I wouldn't, give me Rivers and D.Henry all day.

Same.  Rivers carried a terrible Chargers franchise for years.  He played extremely well in all but maybe 2 seasons.  LT sucked after 2007 and the Oline sucked after 2009, yet he was still able to perform extremely well.  If Rivers had a Henry type RB during his prime years, the Chargers would’ve been significantly better. 

Tannehill was garbage until he moved to Titans and revamped his career.  And now he’s got the best RB in the league tearing it up which opens up a lot for the passing game. 

On 1/13/2021 at 2:43 PM, compuls1v3 said:

I feel like Rivers can be the man for us, just like Manning did for the Broncos.  Just needs to be that game manager and make smart decisions, and not try to carry the team on his back- that's when he starts to make mistakes.  Regarding our play off loss, it was an all around team loss.  The better team won.  I expect to see Rivers back next year, unless he retires.

Needed to force turnovers 

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Of course he's going to say he wants him back. What did you expect him to say, "No". He's being politicaly correct. I think they're going to seriously evaluate the QB position. Hopefully they acquire a young blood, that can dodge, throw the distance.

Like who?

On 1/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, bestQBever said:

I think Bringing back Rivers is a safe fallback option we have. We have to trade Jacoby. I LOVE what he brings to this team as a character but We need Eason to be the backup. I'd also see what it would take to move up to a position to get Fields. If we can't get Fields and Eason doesn't pan out, I'd rather stick with Rivers than go to Wentz or even Stafford.

Yep, we need Brissett to get out of the way so Eason can get more reps as the backup.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:42 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Your not trading for wentz to compete. Not only are you going to have to give up  at least a second  but also pay him 30 million.

I think someone will get Wentz for a really nice price.  Also I don't view him as a guy who can't play.  I think he can play and I think he fits this offense.

I also would hope he's a little wiser with running to contact, and maybe locker room leadership. 

Archived